Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

No Utah sure Adams won't be just as huge a disaster as Silwa will be, only there will be 0 push back ajust him. Just like hows iit turned it Trump was the real harm reduction candidate because suddenly no one cares that Biden is indistinguishable from Trump's actions. Silwa doing things means people will at kirst put a token opposition to it. Adams just means everyone will pretend things are great while he makes teacher unions illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CaptainPsyko posted:

No. Pretend that somehow that disaster is somehow worse than the other disaster that’s coming down the pipe because somehow the devil that is closer to us is magically worse.

I mean, nihilism is cool and all, but let’s not pretend it also isn’t useless and obnoxious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4PzpxOj5Cc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

No. Pretend that somehow that disaster is somehow worse than the other disaster that’s coming down the pipe because somehow the devil that is closer to us is magically worse.

I mean, nihilism is cool and all, but let’s not pretend it also isn’t useless and obnoxious.

what ideologically separates Adams and Sliwa. they both want more cops, more real estate and more Small Business in Our City. at least sliwa wants to make madison square garden pay taxes lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sliwa can even outflank adams on the left on some poo poo, he's talked about UBI for families while adams only offers more eitc expansion. its gonna be a weird election.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

sliwa can even outflank adams on the left on some poo poo, he's talked about UBI for families while adams only offers more eitc expansion. its gonna be a weird election.

how is it going to be a weird election? Silwa’s gonna get totally ignored and end up with like 20% of the vote

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Real hurthling! posted:

the feline or the blue line

the thin blue feline

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Oh no not a union leader wanting benefits

This is identical to Rush Limbaugh yelling about how Obama is buying votes by giving away services to people who want the government to administer services so they can receive them.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/bern_hogan/status/1419625291647959041

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

shocked pikachu face dot jpeg

i wonder if cuomo is on his anti pot kick because he still has national political aspirations, or if he’s just an rear end in a top hat

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

kitten emergency posted:

shocked pikachu face dot jpeg

i wonder if cuomo is on his anti pot kick because he still has national political aspirations, or if he’s just an rear end in a top hat

At this point I think it's mostly him waving his dick around. He'll find a way to blame the AG for this, too, somehow.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the article makes it sound like general dickishness, he's doing this because the Senate stood up to him over MTA reform

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
maybe someone can metoo him again and get the process sped up, tia

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
reposting from Doomsday Economics

https://www.dailyposter.com/microchip-mania/

quote:

In 2000, the state began a courtship with IBM that would end up costing it hundreds of millions of dollars. In the 1980s and early 1990s, IBM had been one of the largest private employers in the Hudson Valley and played a central role in the economy. But in 1993, the company began to undertake historic layoffs in response to financial troubles, beginning in upstate New York and including 4,000 layoffs at a chip manufacturing plant in East Fishkill.

In an attempt to revive IBM’s role in the local economy, New York economic development authorities awarded the company $659 million in subsidies to build a new facility in East Fishkill and create 1,000 jobs. But in order to keep the jobs, the state had to continue subsidizing the facility. In addition to some smaller property tax abatements, in 2008 the state awarded IBM $140 million to create 1,000 jobs at its manufacturing plant in East Fishkill. When the financial crisis hit, New York paid the company an additional $45 million to avoid layoffs — but the firm laid off 900 workers anyway.

During the same decade, the state was making deals with GlobalFoundries. In 2006, New York state awarded GlobalFoundries one of the most generous local incentive deals in United States history — ultimately totaling $1.4 billion, including a $665 million cash grant — to build a facility in Malta and create 1,465 promised jobs, at a cost of $1 million per job. GlobalFoundries didn’t begin construction on the project until 2009. In the first decade of operation, the company created about double that number of jobs, while bringing in an additional $967 million in subsidies. But in 2018, GlobalFoundries laid off 424 employees in Malta as part of a worldwide restructuring.

GlobalFoundries bought the East Fishkill plant from IBM in 2014, and within a few years began shedding jobs. In 2017, GlobalFoundries began cutting East Fishkill’s workforce through voluntary buyouts, followed by layoffs in 2018. Finally, in 2019, GlobalFoundries sold the plant to a different chip company, which would receive up to $40 million in state subsidies if it retained nearly 1,000 jobs and invested in the facility over the next decade.

Soon, that plant shuttered too, and earlier this year the site was approved to become an Amazon warehouse. Amazon received over $14 million in property tax abatements to create at least 500 full-time jobs, and more part-time jobs.

“Ultimately the failure of the approach of the US government to date has been that it’s almost been strictly supply side driven,” said Hassan Khan, a tech procurement expert.

The supply side approach often works only as a short term measure, Khan argued. “With supply-side approaches… you might just pump a ton of money into building a factory, and it operates for a few years,” he said. “But if they can’t ever become economically competitive without tax breaks, either the tax breaks or subsidies continue indefinitely, or they close up shop and leave.”

Progressives say the solution is for the government to ramp up its own purchases of semiconductors, giving manufacturers certainty that there will be a market for their product. Earlier this year, the progressive think tank Data for Progress issued a policy brief laying out options for public sector semiconductor procurement, including public broadband and administrative agency information system upgrades.

I dig how the current tech subsidy system ends with these manufacturing complexes becoming Amazon warehouses, and the SUNY Poly project acting as a massive corruption scheme for Cuomo

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/scotthech/status/1419985722463948809?s=21

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I just encountered Samuel Dickstein Plaza for the first time in my whole life, but I made the mistake of learning more about it, because all it is is yet another parable about how bad we are at civics:
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140812/lower-east-side/street-named-for-soviet-spy-should-honor-activist-instead-nonprofit-says/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

letitia james just announced Cuomo's investigation results. he is indeed, a serially sexual harasser, in violation of federal law. get his rear end!!!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

cuomowned

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what progressive goal do we get now to make this go away

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

So what progressive goal do we get now to make this go away

yassss MTA leadership reform slay dems

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

The press conference is scathing, crimes up and down the chain of command--the harassment, the shuffling of staff to cover up, skipping mandatory reporting to GOER to protect Cuomo, public retaliation to discredit the staffer he harassed. This has wide ranging implications for a lot of the central nervous system of Albany, it's a BFD.

I'm so glad these women are being vindicated and I hope it brings healing for them.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

what are the odds that Cuomo resigns?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VideoKid posted:

0%, the state assemblky needs to get off their rear end and impeach him, otherwise he'll just ride out the rest of his term.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VideoKid posted:

seems like he would have already if he was capable of feeling guilt or fear

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VideoKid posted:

zero. he's learned that if you stay obstinate longer than they stay outraged, you win

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

has anyone seen any good summaries of what, if anything, the hypothetical infrastructure bill means for the mta?

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

zero. he's learned that if you stay obstinate longer than they stay outraged, you win

this is really loving depressing

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

haveblue posted:

Might be true, but this report is damning to a level that's really indefensible and the outrage will ratchet up to 11 at this point. Even if he doesn't leave, I find it hard to imagine him winning reelection next year.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

wasn't the reason they gave for not impeaching him already that they didn't want to need republican votes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

letitia james just announced Cuomo's investigation results. he is indeed, a serially sexual harasser, in violation of federal law. get his rear end!!!

God drat. That's more than I expected

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Man NY has had some real lovely governors. Then-lieutenant governor David Paterson gave the commencement speech at my graduation and it sucked. Then when Spitzer resigned Paterson became governor and he sucked too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lumpentroll posted:

wasn't the reason they gave for not impeaching him already that they didn't want to need republican votes

Everyone decided to wait for the investigation rather than taking a stand, but expect a fresh round of calls for impeachment within the next few hours

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

In Training posted:

0%, the state assemblky needs to get off their rear end and impeach him, otherwise he'll just ride out the rest of his term.

https://twitter.com/J__Velasquez/status/1422591374323507204

Seems like they're getting ready for it! I guess we'll find out if Fahy kept banging the gavel every 3 days to keep them in pro forma session, because if she didn't you bet Cuomo will use that to claim that the meeting is against procedure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/J__Velasquez/status/1422591374323507204

Seems like they're getting ready for it! I guess we'll find out if Fahy kept banging the gavel every 3 days to keep them in pro forma session, because if she didn't you bet Cuomo will use that to claim that the meeting is against procedure.

:pray:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1422607811826098176

What a trashman.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZohranKMamdani/status/1422600129224261635?s=20

I've also seen reference of a press conference from state assembly dems of some kind today but leadership is still toeing the "its up to cuomo to resign, not our place to impeach" bullshit.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
wouldn't it also be proper to bring criminal charges

i don't know about statutes of limitation or wahtever

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Seems tentatively promising.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

wouldn't it also be proper to bring criminal charges

i don't know about statutes of limitation or wahtever

Statute of limitations is three years from the last reported incident (which happened last year, I believe). As long as that hasn't run out, all other incidents can be included in charges.

The state AG is exercising caution not to politicize the report or the office and has stated that their work is finished now that everything is bright to light. The door is definitely open for state/federal charges, but I'm not sure what the next steps are. I'm sure we'll find out.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/GarbageApe/status/1422609562293702658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yeah, I already blocked that person, I want to say a "WHAT ABOUT AL FRANKEN :bahgawd:" wave or two ago.