Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

JazzFlight posted:

I don’t really know anything about He-Man from the 80s show, so is there a recap video on YouTube or should I go into the new show blind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyyTzkktjsI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about and how is this relevant to anything that is being discussed here, you weirdo?

I was pointing out that the source of terrible stupid opinions that I posted about (Ancient Aliens) at least provides some pretty pictures to help the idiocy go down. Didn't any of the catpiss neckbeards you posted about provide photos to showcase the "awesome granduer" of the man-baby caves they'd slopped together in their mommy's basements?

AKA I was mocking you a little bit. You had us at chuds. It's not like anyone was saying "Wait a minute near-gear crow, can you provide specific examples of their terrible bigoted opinions?" We already know their stank-rear end opinions because chuds.

Also, I apologize because for the longest time I misread your username as nine-gear cow.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
But was Stonehenge made by aliens?

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

I don’t really know anything about He-Man from the 80s show, so is there a recap video on YouTube or should I go into the new show blind?

this should do it

https://twitter.com/AEHentai/status/1419183584355749890?s=20

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, that's largely my point. People are screaming Smith went "full woke" and it mostly adds up to "women and black people exist".

Amazingly, the Parasite Full Woke Oscars Meltdown Guy likes the show and is putting up videos attacking trolls

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

mycot posted:

But was Stonehenge made by aliens?

Absolutely. The Ancient Britons rode on space alien time ships to some Home Depots in modern times where they hired a bunch of Mexican day laborers to knock that poo poo out in a couple-three months. So Stonehenge was built by human aliens, not space aliens. Yes, I've watched too much South Park.

The best part to me is the tiniest bit of "and... once again" expressions on the faces of the other two in the room.

And this is pushing me down the road that Marcy Wu's father in Amphibia is actually Prince Adam of Eternia. Because of the genetic clumsiness.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Everyone posted:

It's not like they have the Ancient Aliens wearing white hooded robes or flying around in burning cross rockets or anything. There's just this constant subtle drumbeat of "Well, ancient humans were such stupid, primitive fucks that they couldn't so much as wipe their own asses without help/technology from the Star Peoples." Really the racism of Ancient Aliens is directed at the whole human race rather than at specific ethnic/cultural subgroups.

You have described an allegory for colonial apologia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like He-Man was the most disposable of the big 80s toy commercial cartoons. just from how totally gone without a trace it was by the time I was growing up, while the other big 80s franchises were still around in some capacity. It also had lower animation quality than the rest of the 80s wave, which looking at the numbers, it might have also been the first of the big toy commercial cartoons to take advantage of Reagan deregulating children's television. They probably didn't know that they could manage much higher production quality sustained off of toy sales. Like a week after the He-Man cartoon came out, the GI Joe cartoon came along, and it did know how much money they could budget for the cartoon from previous commercials, a comic series, and generally just having been a franchise for 20 years instead of 2.

If any of the remakes or reboots are any good, it's not because of anything that was there in the original.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I have zero attachment to the He-Man franchise. It was just a lovely toy commercial from before I was born. However, I don't see the point of having a He-Man tv show without He-Man in it. At that point, it seems like it should just be its own original thing. (Its because media is currently way too risk averse and nobody wants to create an original IP)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
He-Man is "in it". The whole point of the show is the weight of his absence and the impact of serious consequences and grief onto a setting where the stakes had always been low. It's sort of comparable to Pleasantville.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The original himbo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's actually some very good reasons why the 80's MOTU & POP shows were the way they were;

1) Filmation was trying really hard to keep animation that was actually made in the US(rather than outsourcing it to other countries) alive and due to this they had to do a lot of things to save on both labor and money for it to be even remotely practical

2) they had a very heavy uphill battle against what was expected of TV animation at the time, He-Man was considered very violent(like compare it to the even more nonexistent violence in contemporaries like Super Friends), which they tried to counter with those goofy PSA bits at the end of every episode

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The animation in the old Filmation shows is bad, in some ways, but also pretty lush in others. They use a lot of canned animation cycles, like Hanna Barbera cartoons did, but those animation cycles are often high frame count and quite detailed. Plus the painted backgrounds are excellent.

Basically anything they could re-use looks nice, and anything that had to be done bespoke for the episode was a janky mess. As I understand it they pretty much outlaid an initial budget on a series of "character walking" "character running" "character doing a backflip" cycles for every major character, tried to make sure those looked as good as possible, then tried to use them wherever they could and filled in the gaps with quicker, less detailed animation.

This is why the transition in that clip above is so unnatural. They have "Adam running" and "Adam colliding with something and sliding" in their library, but it's all locked to one perspective and cadence so he is full-tilt action dashing into a coatrack.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

He-Man is "in it". The whole point of the show is the weight of his absence and the impact of serious consequences and grief onto a setting where the stakes had always been low. It's sort of comparable to Pleasantville.

It's Death (and Return, and Death, and Return presumably) of He-Man

Thankfully without the Metropolis Kid. Oh boy, could you imagine?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 26, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kevin Smith finally gets his Superman Lives movie after all. I wonder if there will be a giant spider in the second half of the season.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Apparently the first episode of Centaurworld got put up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qIulz32xJQ

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That thumbnail has me thinking it’s the sequel series to Bojack Horseman

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

lol I was gonna add this to my watch later but I forgot that kids content has playlist saving disabled. loving youtube

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

lol I was gonna add this to my watch later but I forgot that kids content has playlist saving disabled. loving youtube

I still don't understand that particular aspect regarding kids content, like how is adding them to playlists a problem?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the deal is that since it's illegal for kids to have accounts on websites (since that counts as keeping data on minors) they just blanketly disabled most of youtube's features on kids' content when the FCC made threats on enforcement.

Maybe post-Ajit Pai there'll be some changes at the FCC, but probably any more developed handling of the internet will require new legislation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

What baffles me is that YouTube mobile disables picture in picture

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Nu He-Man is good, actually. Can confirm. Though I'll grant that it might have been considerate to let people know going in that the focus would be on other characters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Nu He-Man is good, actually. Can confirm. Though I'll grant that it might have been considerate to let people know going in that the focus would be on other characters.

I cock my eyebrow at people who go "I would have been more generous toward it better if they'd called it Teela and the Masters of the Universe". So literally the only thing you're mad about is a non-indicative title? :doh:

These are the kind of people for whom lawsuit-proofing warning labels were created. poo poo like "do not place directly on face" on a clothes iron or whatever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It is called The Masters of the Universe and not He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

I cock my eyebrow at people who go "I would have been more generous toward it better if they'd called it Teela and the Masters of the Universe". So literally the only thing you're mad about is a non-indicative title? :doh:

These are the kind of people for whom lawsuit-proofing warning labels were created. poo poo like "do not place directly on face" on a clothes iron or whatever.

For the record I wasn't mad about it. My reaction was basically "Oh this is what we're doing? Yeah, ok I guess".

Also It's not just the title. Most of the marketing I've seen indicated that this would be a more traditional He-Man show. It's more of a nitpick and not really a criticism of the show itself, but I can see how having the wrong set of expectations going in could annoy some people (not including the chud crowd, who are assholes losing their poo poo because the womens are in their cartoons. gently caress them).

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I wasn't sold on this show from the previews but this owns and I want more now. Mad props for creating a show that requires the team to animate like 500 horses an episode. RIP animation staff.

Side note: Was NOT expecting the horse to sound like that. I was basically expecting H John Benjamin for some reason.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 27, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It is called The Masters of the Universe and not He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

MORE LIKE THE MASTERS OF THE BAIT AND SWITCHAVERSE

:smugdon:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Tell me all about these masters of baiting

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

DoctorWhat posted:

Tell me all about these masters of baiting

It's a reality tv show about trout fishing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the songs in Centaurworld, and I'm curious when the full series is going up on Netflix to see where the characterisation of Horse is going because she's fun. I like that while she's using her song to manipulate the centaurs she does make her position clear in the lyrics so they can't accuse her of lying. She tells them outright that "All that I need is a little bit of magic. I'd go on my own, if only I had it." making clear that she would have abandoned them to boredom in the dome if she had any choice in the matter.

Also whatever happened to Mao Mao? As far as I'm aware the last episode was Strange Bedfellows, was it interrupted due to the pandemic or has something happened to it to make it stop? That last episode was I think over a year ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I think this is what the kids call a mood.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So I watched S1 and most of S2 of Amphibia.

I started my wife on it back when only S1 was a thing, and she didn't really like the first few episodes.

Now that all of S2 is available on + rather than Now, I'd like to watch it again, but would like to cut out a lot of the S1 'learn a lesson' filler unless it's particularly great or funny.

Can anyone recommend a list of plot-centric and/or especially good Amphibia?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Beachcomber posted:

So I watched S1 and most of S2 of Amphibia.

I started my wife on it back when only S1 was a thing, and she didn't really like the first few episodes.

Now that all of S2 is available on + rather than Now, I'd like to watch it again, but would like to cut out a lot of the S1 'learn a lesson' filler unless it's particularly great or funny.

Can anyone recommend a list of plot-centric and/or especially good Amphibia?

For Season 1, the 1st episode, the 10th episode, the second part of episode 16, the second part of episode 19 and episode 20.

Season 1 is basically about Anne getting acclimated to Amphibia (and specifically to Frog Valley) and Frog Valley getting acclimated to her. The episodes above reflect the larger plot points and conflicts during the first season. That said, Amphibia reminds me in some ways of Elementary with Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes. The episodes in season one aren't big plot-movers, but each one tells you a little more about Anne, the Plantars and the people of Frog Valley.

When it comes to Season 2 the 1st episode, the fourth episode and pretty much everything after the fourth episode except maybe the twelfth, which is non-canon but basically the Plantars and Anne telling each other scary stories.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's not that I don't think they're good, I just expect her to be more roped in by the later plot and willing to go back

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Yeah, after seeing folks here talking up Amphibia I checked out the first couple of episodes yesterday. Very underwhelmed so far, and knowing it takes roughly a season to get its hooks into you doesn't help.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Amphibia's a slow build. It spends about half a season doing slice of life stuff with Anne and the frogs before it starts digging into what happened to either of Anne's two friends, comes to a pretty explosive ending, and then season two moves along at a much more rapid pace toward an even more explosive ending. I think the slice of life stuff helps fill out the story and is ultimately worthwhile, but it does mean not diving into big plot heavy stuff much until the second season.

Everyone posted:

That said, Amphibia reminds me in some ways of Elementary with Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes. The episodes in season one aren't big plot-movers, but each one tells you a little more about Anne, the Plantars and the people of Frog Valley.

I think they help flesh out the world and make the stakes more real in season two.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 28, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I honestly think you might be better off trying to just get used to the more relaxing rhythm of the series before the drama starts, since I don't think it ever is exactly high adventure, but if you really want to skip forward after the first few episodes don't grab you, I think Hop Luck and Anne Theft Auto might be good character beats. Plantar's Last Stand is the first real plot point after the first episode, and then Toad Tax and Prison Break get things rolling more. And if you wanna keep skipping forward toward the season finale, then you gotta at least hit Hop-Popular, Bizarre Bazaar, and Anne of the Year before hitting Reunion.

But yeah, each episode is only like 11 minutes, so it's not a major investment to go through sequentially and see Anne slowly become more accepted into the frog community and getting episodes exploring the relations between each of the characters and introducing the side characters throughout the frog town who will stick around for the rest of the show. In a way, one of the show's themes later on seems to be endorsing simply living with a family and friends over going out questing for adventure or chasing some ambition.

Although come to think of it, imagining what episodes to skip made me think of the Tangled series, which also has some cool drama, but in episodes when there's not much happening and there's no songs, there's a whole lot of nothing going on. Maybe I'm just not calibrated to that kind of show for the most part. Longer episodes, too.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Is it weird that I don't hate the new Johnny Test? It's not exactly a masterpiece but it looks orders of magnitude better than the original and I feel like it's being written by people who actually give a poo poo this time around. Not ~talented~ people mind you, but ones who are putting in some amount of effort.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

recently watched through all the seasons of infinity train. it was incredibly good. is there anything else remotely like it?

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

sub to the criterion collection for the artsy cartoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Is it weird that I don't hate the new Johnny Test? It's not exactly a masterpiece but it looks orders of magnitude better than the original and I feel like it's being written by people who actually give a poo poo this time around. Not ~talented~ people mind you, but ones who are putting in some amount of effort.

Sounds pretty close to most people's opinions of the first season or so that originally aired on Kids WB, as that season hit the same kind of notes