Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

Ah poo poo

I already cancelled my Comics Kingdom subscription and it's being weird about letting me re-up right now, I'll figure this out later
I gotcha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Thanks!

:tipshat:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'l try and post it regularly for a while, and if it has legs in the thread, I will absolutely give you more background info as we go along. You may have already put two and two together and realized Berlin in the 1930s was one of the more interesting places in the world to be. This will be a factor.

(In case you're wondering, they all had titles like that.)

I know :justpost: is the thread mantra, but I am definitely interested in seeing a mundane, everyday-life strip from Nazi Germany, that seems incredibly fascinating!

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
It's interesting to me that the MinSec lady hates electricity... while using a computer to post a comic strip online. Does anyone know if she ever addresses the contradiction there, or does she just kind of ignore it? I'd really love to see what kind of wacky justification she would use.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

sweetguts posted:

It's interesting to me that the MinSec lady hates electricity... while using a computer to post a comic strip online. Does anyone know if she ever addresses the contradiction there, or does she just kind of ignore it? I'd really love to see what kind of wacky justification she would use.

She's not a sensible person, but anyway:

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 26, 2021

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

I mean, fair, but I'm not trying to be one of those guys, I'm genuinely curious what she has to say about it? Most people understand that current society requires technology to function but she's so adamant that we don't, so it's strange that she'd make a webcomic rather than like, a physical zine or something.

sweetguts fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 26, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sweetguts posted:

she doesn't hate electricity. she hates the society that produces electricity. as her concern is global, her opting out of that society doesn't change anything - she has to act within that society to convince it to change, and that action requires using the tools of society.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
You may be giving her more credit than she deserves. MiniSec strikes me as very underpants gnome re: sweeping change. It's very

1) SMASH THE SYSTEM
2) ?????
3) Perfect anarcho-primitivism!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Nekonaughey

e: english sucks in profile.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, it’s very hard to separate McMillan’s actual opinions out because she constantly shifts between:

* Yes, this will all suck and be terrible and your Mom is going to die when you do it, but you have to do it if you actually believe in maintaining a sustainable lifestyle, sorry, Mom
* No, this won’t suck at all, a primitive life is actually better than what you have
* It doesn’t matter because the powers that be won’t let you
* It doesn’t matter because other people are too vapid and comfort-seeking to go along with it, so it will never happen
* I’m not actually saying any of this because it’s my extreme characters saying it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Success!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fighting Trousers posted:

You may be giving her more credit than she deserves. MiniSec strikes me as very underpants gnome re: sweeping change. It's very

1) SMASH THE SYSTEM
2) ?????

The older stuff is crap, but I think the 2010 version deserves more credit. Kranti's friend calls out her primitivism as naive, her interactions with her mother aren't exactly flattering, and her journalist friend is basically too polite to call her crazy.

The comic feels very aware that Kranti is ultimately mistaken.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Daduzi posted:

Post-modernist in 1906?

Hey, I suck at art like I suck at posting.

Modernist.

Some real art person: help me out here

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fighting Trousers posted:

1) SMASH THE SYSTEM
2) ?????

Step 2 is "millions die but this is an acceptable loss."

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

It's been fun reading MinSec again and remembering why we stopped posting her.

And now here's someone with their head clearly kept together.

B Kliban

Spoiled because "that wacky culture, who knows what their normal is?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assume they will burn all the books and ban all writing to prevent contamination by technology transfer.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

[quote="Kennel" post="516500409"]
Dustin

I like the little touch that the millennial is staring at her phone instead of enjoying the beach; that's what they do.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gross blondie is into feet.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
McMillan is basically a downright terrible person. Anarchoprimitivism is inherently an ableist, transphobic, and frankly genocidal system and her entire schtick is to advocate for it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

There’s a reason farmers beat out hunter-gathers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Hey, I suck at art like I suck at posting.

Modernist.

Some real art person: help me out here
German Expressionism?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set didn't tell the joke right.

Working Daze invades.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix guest written by Grant Morrison.

Cul De Sac is just trying to help.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sorry, another truncated version tonight...

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (December 8, 1933)

Peanuts (July 29, 1974)

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh...

Fine, Let's Get This One Over With, Too...

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 24, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 28-30 , 1937)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Haifisch posted:

I'd much rather deal with the problem of storing nuclear waste(or whatever it is Steph is hand-wringing about) than climate change, but that's just me.

Don't worry, 10 years ago green energy was just about to completely replace coal and oil so there was no need to worry about a cleaner middle step to the ideal.

And 20 years ago, and 30 years ago...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Fine, Let's Get This One Over With, Too...

He does this gag every year but as a gardener I can't help but cackle.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

e: english sucks in profile.

I love this dumb cat

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh...

What the gently caress, Phil?? You were literally a ghost! WE SAW YOU AS A GHOST TALKING TO ANOTHER WELL-ESTABLISHED GHOST!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"I wanted to work without being bothered, so I faked my death instead of just ignoring people."

I was tired of being bothered so I did a lot of unnecessary work at expense to set up several awkward conversations and ruined relationships later. I think somebody reminded Batiuk this dude was dead and he's genuinely embarrassed and backpedaling.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Doomykins posted:

"I wanted to work without being bothered, so I faked my death instead of just ignoring people."

I was tired of being bothered so I did a lot of unnecessary work at expense to set up several awkward conversations and ruined relationships later. I think somebody reminded Batiuk this dude was dead and he's genuinely embarrassed and backpedaling.

That would imply that Batiuk's comics can react to new information within less than a year. If he could feel shame about that kind of thing the multiple weeks of "post-pandemic" Funkys and Crankshafts wouldn't have run. He's just really this bad of a writer

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Octopus time :woop:

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

riderchop posted:

Octopus time :woop:

Oh my God that face!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

:what:

It's been what, two days? Three? And you're telling me an adult man and two teenagers are completely unable to not turn a house into a disaster zone in that brief a timeframe?

Classic Kevin & Kell in: adventures in babysitting (September 23-29, 2002)

The "election official in Chicago" thing in the first strip feels like a reference, though I don't know what to.

Modern Kevin & Kell

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: adventures in babysitting (September 23-29, 2002)

The "election official in Chicago" thing in the first strip feels like a reference, though I don't know what to.

“Machine politics” in the United States was pretty common in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, where urban areas were run by a political ‘machine’ - Tammany Hall in New York City, the Pendergast Machine in St. Louis, the Curley outfit in Boston, etc. “Machines” were notorious for doing all sorts of illegal-but-not-too-illegal things to stay in power, such as running people through polls multiple times, forging ballots, “finding” ballots after the election was over, etc.

In Chicago, Bill Daley was mayor for most of the post WW2 period and one of the last big machine politicians known for winning close elections by all sorts of shenanigans. I couldn’t find specific examples of it happening, but the idea is that if you need a bunch of forged votes, what better place to find names to use than the local graveyard? Especially for those who had died recently, who knew if they actually cast a ballot or not?

Again, this was pretty commonplace in most cities in the early 20th century, but because it went on longer in Chicago, and because a lot of stink was made in 1960 about how much Kennedy’s victory in Illinois hinges on Daley delivering not-perfectly-legal votes*, Chicago being the home of electoral corruption and where dead people “vote” is a pretty standard American trope, continuing up to even recent elections.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20161019/downtown/vote-rigged-elections-history-fraud-stolen-trump.amp

*(Bobby Kennedy, who ran much of his brother’s campaign, definitely privately stated from the early part of the campaign that they would need Daley’s machine to make sure they won. Nixon considered challenging the Illinois results, but later said that “for the good of the country” he would let it go, but others who were close to him at the time said that no one in the Nixon campaign was sure how they could investigate Democratic vote-tampering in Illinois without a bunch of Republican vote-tampering also coming to light.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 27, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Welcome back to Late Night MiniSec!

2007 (July 9-13)

Not that Duck and Coconut was the only MiniSec AU...

(To be continued...)

2010 (August 9-13)

And as we're reunited with our crew's munitions expert, that all the fun I can handle for one night...

(Carl the Shivan)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Schwarzwald posted:

The older stuff is crap, but I think the 2010 version deserves more credit. Kranti's friend calls out her primitivism as naive, her interactions with her mother aren't exactly flattering, and her journalist friend is basically too polite to call her crazy.

The comic feels very aware that Kranti is ultimately mistaken.
How does the eco-terrorist rabbit fit into this interpretation?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR4jPtrDCLo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (November 11, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 11, 1999)

Garfield Classic (November 11, 1989)