Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I remember realizing the name is because it's an "echo" of the powers the Ancients had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In the other languages, it's called more along the lines of the Power to Transcend the Soul.

Lahabrea, unsundered, has the echo. It's not just a sundered phenomenon.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In the other languages, it's called more along the lines of the Power to Transcend the Soul.

Lahabrea, unsundered, has the echo. It's not just a sundered phenomenon.

No. Lahabrea, unsundered, has the original soul/creation powers that the echo gives to sundered people. The echo just awakens the soul to the reality that those powers exist.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He literally says let's show them the true power of the echo.

And nothing we've seen in game about the echo has anything to do with creation magics. It's all been examples of transcending one's normal boundaries - seeing into someone's memories, seeing someone's aether, seeing through time, understanding languages.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 27, 2021

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

He literally says let's show them the true power of the echo.

And nothing we've seen in game about the echo has anything to do with creation magics. It's all been examples of transcending one's normal boundaries - seeing into someone's memories, seeing someone's aether, seeing through time, understanding languages.

You mean that time he fused with a sundered Ascian? But in any case he is using a metaphor you will understand, rather than explain the whole reality of the sundered and unsundered. Which the WOL has no real knowledge of at that point.

All those things you mention are manifestations of other powers that the ancients had. Hydaelyn specifically does not share the creation magics because they are harmful to sundered worlds (and probably unsundered ones as well).

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

hobbesmaster posted:

A crystal exists, I thought anyone can look into one and get the memories?

Where are they, anyway? Did the WoL scoop them all back up post-Elidibus or just leave them up there (because they had other things on their mind)?

We know that the WoL kept the Azem stone but I don't think we've seen another one since.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Emet Selch, the last survivor of his race, desperately tries to save his people knowing he is their last hope and when the sundered overcome him he gives a final plea to be remembered and then fades away. The following storylines are: A primal that used to be a unsundered being tries to fix things but is defeated by a symbolic assist from the last true Ascian, followed by Fandaniel being specifically provoked by the fact that without Emet Selch the Ascian's plan is defeated.

But no he actually just decided to go and take a break at Costa and will be back because there's absolutely nothing more satisfying than bringing back someone whose story reached a coherent and emotional climax so they can make a funny quip in a dungeon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It also kinda invalidates the premise of Endwalker going in because Fancy Dan is only doing this because there's no Unsundered left to push the Rejoining.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Itzena posted:

Where are they, anyway? Did the WoL scoop them all back up post-Elidibus or just leave them up there (because they had other things on their mind)?

We know that the WoL kept the Azem stone but I don't think we've seen another one since.

they all vanished in the cutscene alongside elidibus

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Emet Selch, the last survivor of his race, desperately tries to save his people knowing he is their last hope and when the sundered overcome him he gives a final plea to be remembered and then fades away. The following storylines are: A primal that used to be a unsundered being tries to fix things but is defeated by a symbolic assist from the last true Ascian, followed by Fandaniel being specifically provoked by the fact that without Emet Selch the Ascian's plan is defeated.

But no he actually just decided to go and take a break at Costa and will be back because there's absolutely nothing more satisfying than bringing back someone whose story reached a coherent and emotional climax so they can make a funny quip in a dungeon.

ImpAtom bringin the HEAT I like it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The entire argument for Emet-Selch being alive is just responding to every argument and piece of evidence with 'NUH-UH'.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I do gotta say, this might be the saddest post in this thread.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I do gotta say, this might be the saddest post in this thread.

We're having an argument about video game lore buddy, this is not serious lol

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Hellioning posted:

And while I can certainly see not trusting SE with dead scenes, considering Nanamo,
Actually, Nanamo died and we've been interacting with an imposter since Heavensward. I've compiled my research here: http://www.smallernanamo.com/abigconspiracy

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Naanamo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m actually sorely disappointed that isn’t real.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

poo poo that’s good

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Not Nanomo?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

OddObserver posted:

Not Nanomo?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You forgot DRK job quests for future ES appearances.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Argas posted:

You forgot DRK job quests for future ES appearances.

I don't have a lot good to say about Fray and Sidurgu, but I am fairly confident that their responses to Emet-Selch would be less than positive. They're not exactly fond of imperialists agitating for genocide and/or forever-war over there.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I was surprised to run into Sidurgu on my alt who has never even unlocked Dark Knight, just hanging out in the Forgotten Knight. I don't usually remember seeing job quest npcs out in the wild like that. Class, occasionally, but not job.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
If ES is alive why hasn't he jumped back into one of his many Garlean clones yet?

Checkmate Zodiark.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Zeruel posted:

If ES is alive why hasn't he jumped back into one of his many Garlean clones yet?

Checkmate Zodiark.

It was weird for them to bring up the storehouse of Solus clones and then never do anything with them. I wonder if they had other plans? It's not like we needed an explanation where he got the other body he jumped into after Varis shot him that one time, much less giving that many bodies to do it in.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ironslave posted:

It was weird for them to bring up the storehouse of Solus clones and then never do anything with them. I wonder if they had other plans? It's not like we needed an explanation where he got the other body he jumped into after Varis shot him that one time, much less giving that many bodies to do it in.

I suspect it'll come back in use by Zenos, since we're going to the Imperial palace where that scene was set.

Because, as we all know, the problem with Zenos is that there's just not enough of him, and that he goes down so easily!

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Something I only just noticed: all the Scions have their graduation tattoos placed on their necks, where it's obvious but also not disruptive to their profiles.

Except Urianger, who made sure it got placed right on his face like he wants to scream that he's a scholar.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Ironslave posted:

Something I only just noticed: all the Scions have their graduation tattoos placed on their necks, where it's obvious but also not disruptive to their profiles.

Except Urianger, who made sure it got placed right on his face like he wants to scream that he's a scholar.

I figured it was because Louisoix had his right smack dab on his big forehead and Urianger was a Lou stan.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/wildchargeart/status/1420204654420393987?s=19

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ironslave posted:

Matoya has an Archon mark on her face as well. You just usually can't see it under her hair.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Emet-Selch is going to be in the background of every Endwalker cutscene like the shoebill, unmoving and unaddressed.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Can someone clear something up for me wrt the Scions' tattoos? Lyse loses hers after Papalymo dies because they were his doing, and he spent himself utterly against Shinryu. Why do the other Scions still have theirs? I thought they got them from Louisoix.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They have actual tattoos because they graduated under Louisoix.

Lyse had a glamour of a tattoo maintained by Papalymo.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

Can someone clear something up for me wrt the Scions' tattoos? Lyse loses hers after Papalymo dies because they were his doing, and he spent himself utterly against Shinryu. Why do the other Scions still have theirs? I thought they got them from Louisoix.

Lyse's was an illusion made by Papalymo, all the other scions have legit tattoos. They mark that they graduated from the Sharlayan University, which the original Yda did do, so when Lyse started to pose as her dead sister, Papalymo made her the illusion tattoo. Idk why they didn't just seek out a tattoo artist to replicate it but wizards gotta use magic for everything, I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

Lyse's was an illusion made by Papalymo, all the other scions have legit tattoos. They mark that they graduated from the Sharlayan University, which the original Yda did do, so when Lyse started to pose as her dead sister, Papalymo made her the illusion tattoo. Idk why they didn't just seek out a tattoo artist to replicate it but wizards gotta use magic for everything, I guess.

You never see Lyse as Yda's face so maybe more was glamoured? Unless they were supposed to be identical twins and I forgot that part.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nah Yda was supposed to be like 10-15 years older than lyse, iirc. The idea is that yda was essentially a child soldier in the resistance whereas Lyse was an actual literal baby who has never known a free ala mhigo.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The non-story reason is simply because they needed some indication that Papalymo died without showing his corpse. A magical tattoo tied directly to his living aether it is, then!
In-setting, I guess it was to cut down on the number of people who'd definitely know she wasn't Yda, and also to allow Lyse to easily drop the identity at a later time.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I honestly really miss Papalymo and Yda's whole shtick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Honestly, given what little we've seen of Sharlayans and how hidebound and conservative their government is, I'm surprised that Lyse didn't wind up being murdered in a dark alleyway somewhere for impersonating an Archon.