Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

The method we've been using in SA is to lock down immediately then get the contact tracing done while nobody is going anywhere. Once you've finished tracing you can tell everyone else to get going again while the people you identified remain in quarantine.

Something that drives me up the wall is that quick lockdown vs playing chicken has come to be characterised as a Melbourne vs Sydney thing, when in fact it's every other state and territory that has agreed that quick lockdowns are the least bad strategy, and only New South Wales which likes to let the fire burn a little longer to see whether it will get out of control or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Something that drives me up the wall is that quick lockdown vs playing chicken has come to be characterised as a Melbourne vs Sydney thing, when in fact it's every other state and territory that has agreed that quick lockdowns are the least bad strategy, and only New South Wales which likes to let the fire burn a little longer to see whether it will get out of control or not.

That's just really in media and commentary from people in Melb/Sydney. In the rest of the country it's definitely seen as a Gladys vs Everyone Else thing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

How good is the federal government for making a disaster payment to support workers during covid lockdowns, then making it so if you are registered for jobseeker you're not eligible, even if you haven't been paid any jobseeker, then tightly defining the areas they support to only areas where transmission is already occurring.

So you either register for jobseeker lockdown day 1 and kiss the significantly higher disaster payment goodbye or don't register for jobseeker and hope people around you start coughing but not too close please. Naturally jobseeker isn't back dateable either. :discourse:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Senor Tron posted:

Anti-corruption is one of the big things that I reckon Labor is going to hit hard as part of the election campaign, and given their history during the better part of a decade they've been in government (Jesus loving Christ that hurts to write) it's something that the Coalition is going to find it hard to push too hard against.

Agree to create an anti-corruption body in the election campaign and then just not do it, repeat in another 3 years.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Why would Labor be anti-corruption? :confused:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bell jar posted:

Why would Labor be anti-corruption? :confused:

They've been out of power for long enough that they have a lot less scary skeletons in the closet.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

Agree to create an anti-corruption body in the election campaign and then just not do it, repeat in another 3 years.

gotta give them another term to do it tho

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

another Christian Porter success story!

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Federal Labor are pissed that their leaders get raked over the coals for giving free legal advice to their partners, but the Libs can plunder the treasury to buy votes time and time again with only the faintest of blowback when they get caught. The idea they want to keep the status quo just because they'd like it if they could also do a corruption is pretty pessimistic. Or not pessimistic enough, I guess.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Solemn Sloth posted:

My take based on recent history is that they will successfully establish it but without retroactive power so LNP is scot free (nationals in particular), more or less immediately be caught out by a scandal involving an ALP backbencher, which dogs them until election then LNP has a smashing victory and immediately dismantles the anti corruption body. On basis of that experience ALP seen as completely corrupt for next decade.

Assuming Labor wins, which they probably won’t.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
If Albanese announced it I might be with you there, what with him seemingly having no spine to speak of, but Mark Dreyfus announced it, and he announced it with retroactive powers. I just don't see him being in on this bit, or them being willing to gently caress him over on this.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Eediot Jedi posted:

How good is the federal government for making a disaster payment to support workers during covid lockdowns, then making it so if you are registered for jobseeker you're not eligible, even if you haven't been paid any jobseeker, then tightly defining the areas they support to only areas where transmission is already occurring.

So you either register for jobseeker lockdown day 1 and kiss the significantly higher disaster payment goodbye or don't register for jobseeker and hope people around you start coughing but not too close please. Naturally jobseeker isn't back dateable either. :discourse:

Turns out adhd + centrelink = bad. There's a list of four options when you go to claim. The first is lockdown + living in a covid hotspot. When I went through that and selected my area, instead of doing something helpful like saying "oh poo poo you're in the wrong place go here" it just said fuckoff.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

Turns out adhd + centrelink = bad. There's a list of four options when you go to claim. The first is lockdown + living in a covid hotspot. When I went through that and selected my area, instead of doing something helpful like saying "oh poo poo you're in the wrong place go here" it just said fuckoff.

Centrelink's entire system is built to be as punishingly awful to interact with as possible to try and dishearten people from seeking support they are entitled to. I'm very sorry you have to deal with it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Saw that Egg Boy, the teen who hit Fraser Anning with an egg, was trending on Twitter, turns out he's now spreading COVID-19 disinfo on IG: https://www.ladbible.com/news/latest-will-egg-boy-connolly-flagged-for-posting-covid-19-misinformation-20210727

quote:

Will Connolly has been flagged by Instagram for posting fake information about the coronavirus pandemic.

The Aussie teen affectionately known as 'Egg Boy' uploaded a series of images on his social media account that claimed the Covid-19 PCR test isn't accurate.

Will said loads of people have been messaging him about the allegations 'for two years' and he wanted the post to start a discussion.

However, Instagram has quickly hidden the post and labelled it fake news after two independent fact checkers looked into the claims.

One of the allegations was that the Centers for Disease Control and Protection is getting rid of PCR tests because they can't differentiate between Covid-19 and the flu.

Science Feedback found that to be incorrect and linked to a headline that states 'EUA withdrawal for CDC COVID-19 PCR test is due to the development of newer tests that help save time and resources, not because the test is faulty'.

This was backed up by FactChecker.org, who wrote: "The announcement in question came from the CDC and was about plans for the eventual discontinuation of its own test. It is still in use currently.

"The FDA did not revoke the CDC test's emergency use authorization or question the reliability of PCR tests, an FDA spokesman confirmed to us."

The Instagram post has caused a pretty serious reaction in Will's comment section.

Loads of his followers aren't happy seeing the kid who stood up against racism now spouting pandemic misinformation without checking his sources.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
gently caress me, that kid was a hero.

EDIT: Why is there no milkshake duck smilie?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 27, 2021

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
You don't have to be particularly smart to clown on Anning

Going to a small Nazi rally held on private property and cracking an egg on the dude's head and then getting beaten up ruled, but it wasn't a smart thing to do

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 27, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

gently caress me, that kid was a hero.

EDIT: Why is there no milkshake duck smilie?

You either die an eggboy or live to see yourself become the anning

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
So, another four weeks for NSW. I wonder if they'll take it seriously this time?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Resident Idiot posted:

So, another four weeks for NSW. I wonder if they'll take it seriously this time?

The ringtail possum came out of its tree hollow today and sadly saw its shadow, meaning another 4 weeks of lockdown for NSW.

(The possum is probably the closest Australian equivalent of a groundhog, a type of squirrel.)

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Resident Idiot posted:

Who isn't taking it seriously? The people working essential jobs locked into their LGA's or the government that locked them in there and implemented a 10km limit for everyone else? Everything non-essential is closed, outdoor masks are pointless because there are no cases of outdoor transmission, a curfew doesn't stop essential workers going to work and that and households is where the transmission is happening based off of every single statement and piece of data released.

It's all about giving people better financial support, better communications and doing whatever they can to reduce risk in essential workplaces at this point.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Centusin posted:

Who isn't taking it seriously?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Centusin posted:

Who isn't taking it seriously? The people working essential jobs locked into their LGA's or the government that locked them in there and implemented a 10km limit for everyone else? Everything non-essential is closed, outdoor masks are pointless because there are no cases of outdoor transmission, a curfew doesn't stop essential workers going to work and that and households is where the transmission is happening based off of every single statement and piece of data released.

It's all about giving people better financial support, better communications and doing whatever they can to reduce risk in essential workplaces at this point.

You can do click and collect from JB hi-fi apparently, so... I don't buy it. The other 3 states with outbreaks from NSW managed to reign it in and you've still got people getting sick not knowing where its from. Remember when Italy melted down and to go to the store you had to line up down the road, metres apart?

My hot take is that NSW is still trying to soften the blow on their economy by allowing too many people to move around for "work" reasons. When that list of essential services could be slashed to a skeleton crew for a week whilst the contact tracers catch up. But that would require payments to people so they'd stay home. A stop to rent and mortgage payments (commercial as well) and everyone just watches the Olympics, or they get to go buy their groceries once every 3 days. That's it.

I go read a news article about whose spreading it still, and it's both blaming the young people but also talking about 'different settings', and pushing the need for people to vaccinate, people who can't vaccinate. The messaging is a dogs breakfast and the strategy is borrowing from countries that failed to contain it. And then the article finishes by saying, drum roll for this bit, young people are spreading it because they are the essential workers moving around for work.

NSW worst state.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'm sorry too you have to go through this poo poo mate.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Blamestorm posted:

My take based on recent history is that they will successfully establish it but without retroactive power so LNP is scot free (nationals in particular), more or less immediately be caught out by a scandal involving an ALP backbencher, which dogs them until election then LNP has a smashing victory and immediately dismantles the anti corruption body. On basis of that experience ALP seen as completely corrupt for next decade.

Assuming Labor wins, which they probably won’t.

That's what Labor did back in Tasmania during the Bacon/Lennon years. Those dirty fuckers were so in the back pocket of Gunns it was sickening. Good loving riddance.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
How retroactive could it be though given it's probably going to be massively underfunded.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Resident Idiot posted:

4 weeks seems incredibly optimistic

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Konomex posted:

The ringtail possum came out of its tree hollow today and sadly saw its shadow, meaning another 4 weeks of lockdown for NSW.

(The possum is probably the closest Australian equivalent of a groundhog, a type of squirrel.)

Australia, notable for not having any native animals that burrow.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Centusin posted:

You'll find that people are not complying with the rules and taking risks. Anecdotally: Not shopping alone, not social distancing in parks, visiting peoples homes.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

a 10km limit is still pretty huge, we had 2.5km travel limits in SA for the past week

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

4 weeks seems incredibly optimistic

At least it's not "Just 2 more weeks" or "taking it day by day" - loving be real with people.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
A good and logical course of action to stop this outbreak in NSW is to do less of a lockdown than the other states that have successfully dealt with an outbreak.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Removing out of pocket costs for cancer treatment and dental? No, higher income tax cuts!

Spoken by Lionel Hutz for the Australian Labor Party, Canberra

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

You'll find that people are not complying with the rules and taking risks. Anecdotally: Not shopping alone, not social distancing in parks, visiting peoples homes.

The third one here is the problem, not the first two.

The other problem seems to be that it's got its hooks into the essential worker suburbs which is a problem with no easy answer. When you can pass it on even before you become symptomatic that's a huge, huge issue when it's circulating in a community full of truck drivers, shelf stackers, nurses, carers and tradies.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The first one isn't really an issue - as any family member is going to get it from the lone shopper that gets unlucky.
The second is an issue when you have people from different households in close contact - such as kids on play equipment.
But that's just some examples - the main point is that some people aren't taking it seriously enough to follow the rules. It's to different degrees. You have the range from, kids playing all the way up to holding protests, secret parties, fleeing Sydney and illegally crossing into queensland. Some people aren't taking the attitude of "this is serious and i should minimise what i do", they are taking the attitude of "I'll do whatever I think I can get away with". Proportion wise it's hard to tell, but I don't have much faith in Sydneysiders on the whole.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Australia, notable for not having any native animals that burrow.

Look, I thought about it. But I don't think the magical powers of determining whether events continue based on seeing your shadow were bestowed via burrowing underground, but were probably some genetic mutation. Therefore, the most squirrel like animal won out.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

All of those things also happened during Victoria's big lockdown, except kids on playgrounds, which probably wasn't necessary since the risks of outdoor transmission and transmission between children are miniscule.

Amoeba102 posted:

Some people aren't taking the attitude of "this is serious and i should minimise what i do", they are taking the attitude of "I'll do whatever I think I can get away with".

This in particular is the attitude of most people everywhere, not just Sydney. The day the 5km limit was announced in Melbourne the Age put a radius calculator on its website. Fortunately lockdowns still work even when people take this attitude. They just take way longer when you let the fire burn out of control like NSW inexplicably did.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Looking forward to when Brisbane locks down not from a Sydney case getting in but yet another plague hotel leak.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Palmer going international with the members for Manilla and Independent State of Croatia.

Some real political heavyweights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Reporter “cases really haven’t gone down with current lock down, what will change over next 4 weeks?”

Gladys “oh if we didn’t lock down there’s be way more cases”

That… doesn’t answer the question.