Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tzen posted:

edit, lol me/wife are 90% on same page with all things covid but goddamn the arguments we've had over that remaining 10%, oof

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

ben Shapiro is incredibly stupid

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

thecluckmeme posted:

Oh hell yeah I forgot about Sturgis, can't wait for all of those people from across the Midwest who question whether the vaccine actually works to congregate in one place and then return to their tiny communities where they won't wear a mask

Guarantee there's going to be at least few deaths in this small town I live in in about three weeks. I wonder if smash mouth will make a return

I got a neighbor old dude who has "Harley, but as an identity" and he and his wife are preparing for Sturgis. Gonna keep on walking by the house ever week or two to see if it goes on sale.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Of course they are small kids they have a small father.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mod sassinator posted:

definitely can reuse them, it helps to cycle one in every day. so a week's worth of them and wear one a day while the others hang out preferably in a sunny spot to help UV sterilize them

i wore a whole set for about 6 months and it was fine, just replaced them all again

Cool, that’s good at least.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheMightyBoops posted:

I just bought some KN-95’s for work (I was just using regular cloth masks) until they hopefully let us work from home again (I’m vaccinated but don’t want to somehow infect my small child). I know this is a stupid question, but can I use one longer than a day before tossing it, because they’re pricey?

gradenko_2000 posted:

basic guideline is 40 hours per mask, less if it's in an area with bad air quality

what I do is, I wear a new mask on Day 1, and at the end of the day, stuff it in a paper bag
new masks again for Days 2, 3, and 4

on Day 5, I re-use the mask I wore on Day 1, and cycle through as necessary

at the end of the month, I dispose of all of them and start over

because I don't actually go out all that often, I don't even think I'm hitting 40 hours of use per mask with this system, but a month is an easy stoppping point to remember to refresh

if you're regularly going into work, so you'd be wearing a mask for 8 hours at a time (I guess more factoring in a commute), then if you do a cycle of seven masks, one for each day of the week, then you can toss the Monday mask after the fifth Monday. (or four, if you wanna give yourself some allowance)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i'm watching youtubers going back to cons and events and just crack pinging watching all these spreader events

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

the worst part about wearing a mask in my home 24/7 is showering. waterboarded myself a few times until I ordered a scuba tank and mask on Amazon. checkmate Covid deniers

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I
Can I get delta from people hanging out and talking on the grassy area outside my window if I'm on the second floor

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you're regularly going into work, so you'd be wearing a mask for 8 hours at a time (I guess more factoring in a commute), then if you do a cycle of seven masks, one for each day of the week, then you can toss the Monday mask after the fifth Monday. (or four, if you wanna give yourself some allowance)

Thanks, that’s more doable cost wise.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

i'm watching youtubers going back to cons and events and just crack pinging watching all these spreader events

naw, covid is over. independence feels so good!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

floffytoffy posted:

Can I get delta from people hanging out and talking on the grassy area outside my window if I'm on the second floor

Doubtful.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

floffytoffy posted:

Is your window open? Are they infected?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

is this ID pol

We PoVs (People of Vaccination) need your support, and we ask that you respect of our culture of mask wearing, just as we do not try to ban your cultural dress of wrap around sunglasses, red baseball caps, cargo jorts, and flip-flops.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

floffytoffy posted:

i think it's highly unlikely, but if that's something that's going to weigh on you anyway, just get an air purifier

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
posting for my own aggrandizement:

if there are 52 weeks in a year, and you cycle through a mask every four weeks, then you need 13 sets of masks

with seven masks per set, that's 91 masks total

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
where y’all getting the kn95s?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

floffytoffy posted:

people have been infected with apartment to apartment air spread. it's possible but unlikely. if one of those people rips a big fart though, i would legitimately close the window (fecal aerosol spread has been confirmed at least a half dozen times now, even moving up multiple levels in air vents through apartments)

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I

U-DO Burger posted:

i think it's highly unlikely, but if that's something that's going to weigh on you anyway, just get an air purifier

Got my air purifier (because I live in wildfire country lol)

I just looked at the identical apartment building across the grass and saw how stupidly far the second story window is from the ground, and realized I was overthinking it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

floffytoffy posted:

possibly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYy77IGsBFc

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Milosh posted:

where y’all getting the kn95s?

locally (Augusta, GA) I can walk into any home depot or lowes and pick up n95s all day long.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
lol where is this new CDC guidance.... are they waiting for markets to close before dropping it? lmao

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's funny because over here people are perfectly willing to argue that COVID is airborne...

... because it means they can claim that it's useless to wear a face shield because the virus will just float around the face shield anyway, and that therefore we need to drop the face shield mandate

face shield mandate?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Doomtalker posted:

Jimmy Carter's character arc got dark

Stayed in the oil too long

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Supply lines are shaky, if you live in the semi boonies fill your gas tank.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

locally (Augusta, GA) I can walk into any home depot or lowes and pick up n95s all day long.

what aisle are they in or section? i was looking in a home depot this week but only saw small packs of like 3 non-medical masks. i was looking in the painting area with gloves, full tyvek suits, etc

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Just read an article about the CDC mask ~recommendation~. Two things stood out:

oh word

Pay me to refresh :wom: all day I'm doing it anyway.
still loling that they're using a 24 person committee to solve this 'covid thing'

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Acelerion posted:

I was just informed by this week in virology that just because higher viral loads appear to be leading to infectiousness earlier in the disease cycle resulting in the ability to infect more people in a given amount of time; that this does not necessarily indicate increased 'transmissivity' of the virus and we can keep rolling our eyes at people that say as much

I am a physicist and I love my precise language as much as the next guy but this is a hell of a hill to die on

yeah this has really been annoying these last few weeks, to the degree i think it is actually a bit on the misinformation line

also

Acelerion posted:

Welcome to TVIW episode 1176 coming to you from New Jersey where its a balmy 147F

extremely niche lol

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

so now im imagining there are some chuds out there who pretend to be antivax at the gun club but secretly got jabbed already because their domme ground their tiny nuts under a spike heel and commanded them to

lol thats dope. thank you for your service :patriot:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ruggan posted:

you need to compare infection rate per 100k vaccinated to infection rate per 100k unvaccinated, then correct for any confounding variables (eg stratifying by risk profile)

I would guess that the unvaccinated tend to exhibit riskier behavior than the vaccinated, for example

but mainly this sort of thing bothers me because it’s someone drawing a conclusion and then finding the data to support it, in order to justify dumb behavior that may in fact be a causative variable in their analysis

I mean if I were thinking about it as part of my job, which involves trying to poke holes into everything, right off the bat I would think:

vaccinated -

what factors lead to them being able to be vaccinated (personal beliefs, economic circumstance, etc.)
how have their behaviors changed after being vaccinated

unvaccinated -

same idea as above, are they unvaccinated by choice, or do to economic/class circumstance
how has the availability of vaccines changed their before, if at all, over time

I think you definitely have vaccinated people that are taking more risks than certain unvaccinated people, in some situations

it is true that vaccine -> behavior, but also behavior -> vaccine, so causal inference is useful

like if you had a model with getting vaccinated as an outcome, behavior could be considered as a covariate, but behavior is also an outcome. So you could do IPW to balance behavior between groups, i.e. make sure those in behavior group A vs. B are balanced with respect to other factors of interest.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TheMightyBoops posted:

I just bought some KN-95’s for work (I was just using regular cloth masks) until they hopefully let us work from home again (I’m vaccinated but don’t want to somehow infect my small child). I know this is a stupid question, but can I use one longer than a day before tossing it, because they’re pricey?

you can use them until they start getting smelly

but here’s a link to 100 kf94 masks for $50

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
also east-coasters uncle jeff will next-day prime you wirecutter's top rated room HEPA filter which is good for both covid and also wildfire smoke

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Koirhor posted:

have you goons seen these loving masks in the olympcis with just one strap and it’s completely open air by your chin, lmao

at least australians are rocking kf94’s
from the highlights i've watched, i give props to Australia, Japan, and China on their mask usage and choice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Pizza posted:

face shield mandate?

we in the Philippines have a mandate to wear a face shield, on top of a face mask, at all times

https://twitter.com/ipmsdl_/status/1419468652257050628

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

what aisle are they in or section? i was looking in a home depot this week but only saw small packs of like 3 non-medical masks. i was looking in the painting area with gloves, full tyvek suits, etc

for my home depot (are you local? if so, that's the one on bobby jones, not evans) they're over in the cleaning stuff. sometimes they show up over in paint, but I've seen way more in cleaning.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

for my home depot (are you local? if so, that's the one on bobby jones, not evans) they're over in the cleaning stuff. sometimes they show up over in paint, but I've seen way more in cleaning.

ah nope not local, darn yeah the cleaning aisle was totally empty of any masks or stuff for me. you might snag some extras if you need them in case it's all seasonal stuff that's getting cleared out

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1420022289911910414

Half measure of a half measure of a half measure, amazing

plz consider wearing a mask if you are an aquarius and going into a jiffy lube

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

lol where is this new CDC guidance.... are they waiting for markets to close before dropping it? lmao
of course they are lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/chicagosmayor/status/1420082340039073792?s=20

Stream of Chicago officials justifying Lollapalooza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
https://twitter.com/kendrafeliciter/status/1419786064043073537?s=19

LMAO