Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

dogsicle posted:

that seems a lot more convoluted than a guy just mixing up the vowels because he's not familiar

If it was just a matter of being unfamiliar, he wouldn’t have ended the clip by saying “so there you are, I’ve said it.” My man is 100% doing it on purpose, probably because someone corrected him backstage earlier

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I mean Jonathan Ross had a segment on one of his shows about Japanese culture where he kept calling it 'Goon-dam', getting it wrong is par for the course here. No one has met the level set by the Turn-A OP guy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I love treize because everything he says and does is absolutely bonkers but if you pay enough attention there is a clear logical underpinning to him. Dude has an internally consistent and ostensibly logical philosophy, it's just some insane alien poo poo

Not meant as a commentary on the ongoing conversation about villain philosophies. I am currently watching through wing with a friend who has never seen it and I just love treize

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

jackhunter64 posted:

I mean Jonathan Ross had a segment on one of his shows about Japanese culture where he kept calling it 'Goon-dam', getting it wrong is par for the course here. No one has met the level set by the Turn-A OP guy.

The British insist on saying "Mary-O" even though Mario clearly says "it's a me, Mario" The British don't know how to talk.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

The British insist on saying "Mary-O" even though Mario clearly says "it's a me, Mario" The British don't know how to talk.

They do? :raise:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce it that way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

jackhunter64 posted:

Or the F91 trailer guy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The Turn-A Gundam guy is the most British sounding Japanese person I've ever heard.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Gripweed posted:

I'm British and me and my friends all use Mario, not "Mary-O".

Also, I use Gundam, not "Gan-dumb", in case anyone planned on asking.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

British see Saint John, and pronounce it SinJin. The residents of perfidious Albion's Minds are truly inscrutable

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I love treize because everything he says and does is absolutely bonkers but if you pay enough attention there is a clear logical underpinning to him. Dude has an internally consistent and ostensibly logical philosophy, it's just some insane alien poo poo

Not meant as a commentary on the ongoing conversation about villain philosophies. I am currently watching through wing with a friend who has never seen it and I just love treize

Treize is a true hero who values peace and understanding.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I've literally never heard it said like the name 'Mary', it's always like 'marry' or 'carry'.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

jackhunter64 posted:

I've literally never heard it said like the name 'Mary', it's always like 'marry' or 'carry'.

The name Mary and the verb marry are pronounced the same.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

Ah, but it should be Mah-ree-oh. :italy:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Treize is fantastic and by far the best character in Wing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

jackhunter64 posted:

Mary and marry are pronounced the same, though???

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

If I'm speaking carefully and slowly I can produce a "Mary," "marry", and "merry" that are different from each other, but in normal speech they all blur together for me.

(For anyone who's curious, the difference as I produce/perceive it is analogous to the differences between "mate", "mat", and "met")

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaius Marius posted:

British see Saint John, and pronounce it SinJin. The residents of perfidious Albion's Minds are truly inscrutable

They definitely do not. Not the more well known South English ones round London at least. Maybe some broader regional accents from places like Newcastle, but I don't even think they would off hand. It sounds more like what I'd expect from a thick Antipodean accent. Maybe South African. Not that I'm any kind of expert on those accents; it's just where I'd place them if I had to take a guess.

Gripweed posted:

The name Mary and the verb marry are pronounced the same.

I think I see the problem; you don't know anything about Britain.

Mary: May-Re
Marry: Mar-Re

And, since it's my sister's name: Marie (pronounced: Mah-ree or Mer-ree, depending on region).

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 27, 2021

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

tsob posted:

They definitely do not. Not the more well known South English ones round London at least. Maybe some broader regional accents from places like Newcastle, but I don't even think they would off hand. It sounds more like what I'd expect from a thick Antipodean accent. Maybe South African. Not that I'm any kind of expert on those accents; it's just where I'd place them if I had to take a guess.

'Sinjin' is not a regional thing, but that is how you say it if you are old or posh or are Roger Moore. We are beyond hosed but it's important to get the details right.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I loving love the scene where heero comes back from taking treize's hosed up gundam out for a joyride and treize goes "oh good, now you can kill me" and pulls out his gun to hand to heero while heero is collapsed on the ground about to vomit

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Treize Khushrenada, age 24, shortly after effectively conquering the world: "Well, I guess there's no future for me. Time to find someone to kill me and give them the tools to do it."

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Trieze rules and is cool and good, questionable tactics aside. Dude takes a rose hot tub bath while ordering a hit and almost lets a baby fall in a pond to drown in order to illustrate a point about the fighting spirit or something. Honestly it's one of the things I'm looking forward to when I get to Wing as my final Gundam series on my franchise watch. I loving love it, no matter how incomprehensible or badly animated.

I'm 5 episodes in to ZZ and enjoying it so far. Beecha is less annyoing than the thread had lead me to believe but I can also see the seeds that will lead me to reach that point though. Mashmyere is weirdly endeering in his incompetence. Elle and Judau are grate. I feel a little silly putting it off for so long.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Beecha is both annoying and dumb while also not as bad as you've been made to believe. Like a lot of ZZ, honestly.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

I love Treize stopping Lady Une's fight with Wufei by switching her screen to the Windows XP wallpaper.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Beecha's annoying attitudes end up being actually part of his damned character growth into defacto head of the gang later in the series. I just wish ZZ had done that over the whole run instead of condensing so much into the last 1/3rd of the show.

Elle and Judau are really the gems of ZZ. Despite my general blahness about ZZ Judau is a very good gundam protag.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

Treize Khushrenada, age 24, shortly after effectively conquering the world: "Well, I guess there's no future for me. Time to find someone to kill me and give them the tools to do it."

Gundam has always had ridiculously accomplished young major characters, from the twenty year old Captain Char to Kudelia Aina Bernstein becoming the voice of Martian independence at eight, but even by those standards Wing is a standout.

It's not 15 year olds happening to be the Gundam pilots, even. It's that the world's most brilliant scientists all independently decided that 15 year olds were exactly what they wanted for a highly sensitive secret mission using atomic powered superweapons.

Everyone in Wing is insane.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Treize is a massive idiot who gets by solely on aesthetics both with fans and within the show itself.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The first chapter of Gundam Seed Eclipse is out, in a sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6_VQH2ae8A

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Gundam has always had ridiculously accomplished young major characters, from the twenty year old Captain Char to Kudelia Aina Bernstein becoming the voice of Martian independence at eight, but even by those standards Wing is a standout.

It's not 15 year olds happening to be the Gundam pilots, even. It's that the world's most brilliant scientists all independently decided that 15 year olds were exactly what they wanted for a highly sensitive secret mission using atomic powered superweapons.

Everyone in Wing is insane.

iirc, when the scientists decided not to do Operation Meteor they just coincidentally all had a 15 year old with a lot of moxie and suicidal tendencies nearby. They didn't pick the best of the best, it was more like, "Hey, you seem like you'll be willing to do this and also kill yourself and blow up the Gundam if anything goes wrong"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They also gave them "special training" that let them survive falls from impossible heights

I want to know what the gundam pilot training consists of. It's comical how much bullshit the gundam pilots (and zechs) pull off/survive and "they've been given special gundam training" is the only in universe explanation that's ever given

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Wufei, like Trowa, is a replacement pilot choice since Meilan was supposed to be Shenlong's pilot until she died. Trowa got Heavyarms in a cooler fashion imo but I will always be a bit annoyed that we got Wufei instead of Meilan.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If we didn't have Wufei we wouldn't have Wufei getting completely owned by Treize three times, so who can say whether it was bad.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly as lovely as wu fei is, in universe he's kinda super pathetic too so ultimately I just think he's funny

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Can someone explain to me why wu fei's dojo blew up their own colony

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Something abut honor and that they were all women.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

iirc, when the scientists decided not to do Operation Meteor they just coincidentally all had a 15 year old with a lot of moxie and suicidal tendencies nearby. They didn't pick the best of the best, it was more like, "Hey, you seem like you'll be willing to do this and also kill yourself and blow up the Gundam if anything goes wrong"

It's a mix. Duo was trained for the role for three years, Quatre was recruited after his time with the Maganacs impressed Inspector H, Heero was a longtime asset for the organization, "Trowa" was a last second replacement, and Wufei joined up because his wife died.

So, yes. It's mostly every organization in After Colony being ultra keen on the use of child soldiers as their most elite pilots.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apart from the mechanical designs being excellent dies anyone else think Victory looks visually flat? Considering it's right before G Gundam and Wing the jump in art styles to those two series is striking and they're much more 90s anime aesthetic than Victory. Victory has a pretty bright color palette overall but I think it worked better for Turn A than it does for V.

Basically what I'm saying is I don't find Victory overall that appealing to look at and its mostly held up visually by the mechanical designs and Tomino's creative fight choreography.

It's not just bad looking in comparison with future shows, but the earlier ones too. You look at scenes from Zeta or ZZ, they tend to be better looking than Victory as well.

Victory's just an ugly series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Victory doesn't have the shading that the other 90's Gundams have, in exchange it has a lot more actual animation than they do

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

It's been a while since I watched the episode but I just did a quick flip through of GoL and it's the very first part of volume 10. the reason is basically to avoid being taken in by OZ since they tracked Wufei back to his home colony. There's also a conversation between Wufei and Elder Long has a thing about how obeying the will of heaven and accepting extinction as part of learning to fight. It's a weird section.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Also Zechs quotes Kant at Relena in GoL when she goes to space to try and stop him. Totally forgot about that until I skimmed through looking for the Wufei colony thing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The existing pilots of the Wing Gundams weren't the originally planned ones. They're just whoever the scientists could scrape up when they decided that the colony rebels were too murder-happy who they thought would 1. not immediately lose the Gundams and 2. would not follow Operation Meteor as planned in any way, shape, or form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
You mean Heero wasn't a carefully molded child soldier?

... what was his deal then?