Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

Now that I know he trained as a chef, I'll accept nothing less than wholesale replacing the show with A Taste of Taz.

Basic foods piss him off for many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

yea ok posted:

im excited for aew dynamite

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
FTW stands for Feed The Wrestlers

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

The main problem is just that, since they only seem to be allowed to devote 10 minutes at most to the women any given week, the end result is that the only one that's super over gets 90% of the screentime. Rosa is the only other woman at this point whose been built even remotely as much, and she didn't even work at the company until last week.

Except Statlander has been very over since her return and Yuka got fantastic crowd reactions the first two weeks she was back (I haven't seen anything from the third week yet.)

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Shida could definitely play up a great heel turn imo. She can make it about the fans and get instant heat, ie. "I carried this division on my back through the pandemic and you all seemed to have no problem moving on and not giving me the respect I deserve" etc. She also is made for heel-destroying people with her warrior-moveset. I'd love to see her reinvent herself.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

fawning deference posted:

Shida could definitely play up a great heel turn imo. She can make it about the fans and get instant heat, ie. "I carried this division on my back through the pandemic and you all seemed to have no problem moving on and not giving me the respect I deserve" etc. She also is made for heel-destroying people with her warrior-moveset. I'd love to see her reinvent herself.

Oh no not a "you people" promo

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
i think a returning warrior with renewed resolve would work just as well, if not better

like what she's been doing ever since she dropped the belt

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The window for Shida to achieve her dream of cutting a promo in front of a live crowd is possibly closing.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

That ROAD TO was really good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There have been other right place, right time pandemic era success stories, but wow is Julia Hart an interesting example. 5, 10, Johnson and Anna all appeared with varying levels of experience, but they all needed to be fit into things after a bit. Julia Hart walks in with like 5 pro matches and there is the perfect act to pair her with. They don't debate whether or not she deserves it, they just run with it. And now they have this great plucky babyface who adds to the Blonds act, is great for the heels to be dicks to and they can stick in semi squashes as she develops.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So...

It is wednesday...

:getin:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Squishy posted:

The window for Shida to achieve her dream of cutting a promo in front of a live crowd is possibly closing.

She already did. It got interrupted by Britt, but she cut a live promo when they revealed the new women's title belt on the Dynamite before the last PPV.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

There have been other right place, right time pandemic era success stories, but wow is Julia Hart an interesting example. 5, 10, Johnson and Anna all appeared with varying levels of experience, but they all needed to be fit into things after a bit. Julia Hart walks in with like 5 pro matches and there is the perfect act to pair her with. They don't debate whether or not she deserves it, they just run with it. And now they have this great plucky babyface who adds to the Blonds act, is great for the heels to be dicks to and they can stick in semi squashes as she develops.

and now she's going to get dropkicked to a permanent end. sad!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm really interested to see how Julia does tonight, she's so green but is making really measurable progress, Thunder Rosa is basically the perfect opponent for her on the big stage like this.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
good lord she was born 2 months after the towers fell :gonk:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Her match with Penelope wasn't terrible (and Penelope is usually pretty bad at leading a match) so I'd suspect the match with Rosa will be better than that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

lol what? are we sending her up to a farm or something?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DLC Inc posted:

lol what? are we sending her up to a farm or something?

Might be more Covid lockdowns on the way

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

yea ok posted:

im excited for aew dynamite

This

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It kinda hit me last night that in the span of less than 2 years The Dark Order are going to go from beating down The Elite in a closing angle that (stupid) people thought would kill the promotion entirely to beating down The Elite in the hottest feud the company has going, and probably a top 5 angle in wrestling as a whole right now.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Pylons posted:

It kinda hit me last night that in the span of less than 2 years The Dark Order are going to go from beating down The Elite in a closing angle that (stupid) people thought would kill the promotion entirely to beating down The Elite in the hottest feud the company has going, and probably a top 5 angle in wrestling as a whole right now.

Same, and then I get a little sad wondering what the original version of this angle with Brodie would’ve looked like.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julia is immensely good at playing to the crowd, as she would be, and doing character work. She keeps picking up the rhythm of her chant mid-match, "whatever that means" was basically the perfect response, the splits-off with Penelope was fun and doing the splits as a finisher is exactly the kind of dumb themed moveset stuff that I not-so-secretly love. Her vs. Rosa at this point is a good example of AEW being very good at making you go "there's no way X is gonna win this.

... is there?"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Davros1 posted:

Might be more Covid lockdowns on the way

Doubt it'll happen in America, we're just hell-bent on pretending the pandemic is over now matter how bad it gets it seems.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Drakkel posted:

Doubt it'll happen in America, we're just hell-bent on pretending the pandemic is over now matter how bad it gets it seems.

I saw bix RT a story yesterday talking about AEW people internally discussing the possibility of pausing shows sooner than later, I have no idea if it's true or not but there don't necessarily have to be lockdowns for them to decide to stop doing shows again if they deem it a safety concern.

E:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1420196970786967554

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Her vs. Rosa at this point is a good example of AEW being very good at making you go "there's no way X is gonna win this.

... is there?"

You were right the first time.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

explosivo posted:

I saw bix RT a story yesterday talking about AEW people internally discussing the possibility of pausing shows sooner than later, I have no idea if it's true or not but there don't necessarily have to be lockdowns for them to decide to stop doing shows again if they deem it a safety concern.

E:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1420196970786967554

That report is about how AEW is coming up with contingencies in the event of another shutdown (which are politically unlikely) and doesn’t say anything about them considering cancelling events Monday their own.

Did anything we’re going to get a whole other round of a game of chicken where venues and event promoters try to be the ones to avoid cancelling events so they’re not the ones who eat the cost.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 28, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

That report is about how AEW is coming up with contingencies in the event of another shutdown (which are politically unlikely) and doesn’t say anything about them considering cancelling events Monday their own.

Ah you're right, maybe not time to panic just yet but man i dunno about going back to states like Florida right now.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i wish we got longer AEW Dark shows again...
*monkey paw finger curls*

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
A shame Julia won't have a female vet to help her through a big match...:cripes: when its what they need the most...:cripes: veterans are the most important and effective assests to propel a division forward... I just can't :cripes:

#femalevetsmatter

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

AEW please lock down in Pittsburgh, we're much safer than Florida and I'll come to every episode.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Did anything we’re going to get a whole other round of a game of chicken where venues and event promoters try to be the ones to avoid cancelling events so they’re not the ones who eat the cost.

Yeah, and they’d be idiots if they weren’t thinking about contingency plans at this point. Doesn’t mean they’re ever going to make the call on their own.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

AEW please lock down in Pittsburgh, we're much safer than Florida and I'll come to every episode.

I was gonna joke about how WWE would set up their own WWE City like in that one Scooby Doo movie but in reality it'd probably just be exactly what most of Florida is already like.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, and they’d be idiots if they weren’t thinking about contingency plans at this point. Doesn’t mean they’re ever going to make the call on their own.

That’s why it’s weird to me Bodyslam is framing it as an exclusive scoop. WWE is assuredly having the same conversations right now.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's going to be interested to see how tonight's paced. With a huge hardcore match, the IWGP title, the survivor series, some talky segments, and more, it feels like something's not going to get the minutes it deserves. They always manage to do it well though so I'm excited.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lockdowns are very unlikely. We might see some mask mandates in hot spots. Nevada just issued one yesterday, and some cities have, but that's unlikely to be widespread. Most of the hotspots are anti-mask and the higher vaccination areas like New York are still planning their reopening events. Since they can look at how the UK cases went down so quickly after the spike with a much lower increase in deaths even the more cautious states are likely to blow this off with maybe some superficial advisories.

With all that said Vince is probably losing his mind about the mask mandate in Nevada right before Summerslam.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Max Caster getting heat on Dark by telling Texas to repeal the 2nd amendment :allears:

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Well I for one am wearing a drat mask tonight.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
It's loving Wednesday MDK gang RIP Nate Hatred RIP Justice Pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

With all that said Vince is probably losing his mind about the mask mandate in Nevada right before Summerslam.

Remember when they had people at the PC shows telling people "If you wear a mask you aren't a fan" ?