Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Oh wow that's awful. It is dripping with cash grab mobile game poo poo. Hard pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Arzaac posted:

Rogue Adventure it makes even more sense to be choosy imo. Most classes start with a pretty good deck that really, really emphasizes a certain tactic; why would you bother filling it with junk cards that don't advance your goal? Conversely in Slay the Spire, your starting deck is 9/10ths garbage and you wanna stuff your deck with cards immediately so that you just don't see those awful cards as much.

I usually end up adding a couple cards that increase my Mana per turn and that's about it. It's so weird to make a game like this and then have all the cards you can add be basically worthless.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Oh wow that's awful. It is dripping with cash grab mobile game poo poo. Hard pass.

I found it to be somehow even worse about this than its cousin Gems of War which is literally a gasha game

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

I usually end up adding a couple cards that increase my Mana per turn and that's about it. It's so weird to make a game like this and then have all the cards you can add be basically worthless.

I really like the penguin combo and the robot that makes more robots that don't cost mama but they're both kinda the same deal

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is why I gave up on Rogue Adventure. The balance seems really obvious/off.

Conversely, StS feels like the best-designed game I've ever played.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

teethgrinder posted:

Conversely, StS feels like the best-designed game I've ever played.

I guess I should give it another shot because so far, I hate it. I don't want to, but I do.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I guess I should give it another shot because so far, I hate it. I don't want to, but I do.
I had friends/coworkers rave about it, and I just didn't get it for months. I wish I could remember exactly what moment caused it to click for me, but eventually it did.

It's almost Souls-like in the sense that (besides the opening early runs where it gradually introduces more tools/complexities) you have all the tools you require, but you just learn to use them better. But instead of action/twitch reflexes, it's more strategic, mathematical, and some chance/probability. But the latter is less than you would expect. And you can learn to play/strategise to mitigate/demolish chance events.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked up Mini Metro for $1 because people were singing its' praises after Mini Motorways just came out and I am not really feeling it. Visually it's fantastic but never feel like I'm doing anything more than randomly drawing lines around and hoping it works out.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

I had friends/coworkers rave about it, and I just didn't get it for months. I wish I could remember exactly what moment caused it to click for me, but eventually it did.

It's almost Souls-like in the sense that (besides the opening early runs where it gradually introduces more tools/complexities) you have all the tools you require, but you just learn to use them better. But instead of action/twitch reflexes, it's more strategic, mathematical, and some chance/probability. But the latter is less than you would expect. And you can learn to play/strategise to mitigate/demolish chance events.

I feel really dumb playing it because I understand the strategy to win, I know that I should be replacing strikes/defends with other cards depending on what build I'm going for, and I've made it to the heart twice, but I have no loving idea how to build a deck to kill it. I have never been able to remove enough cards, get enough relics, and shuffle through the deck to get kill combos off with the first three characters.

It reminds me a lot of playing the Binding of Isaac when all you get for a run is just piddly items that don't matter, no game-breaking combos. I could theoretically still win based on skill/reaction alone, but it's going to take at least an hour and I'm going to be frustrated the whole time

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

thecluckmeme posted:

I feel really dumb playing it because I understand the strategy to win, I know that I should be replacing strikes/defends with other cards depending on what build I'm going for, and I've made it to the heart twice, but I have no loving idea how to build a deck to kill it. I have never been able to remove enough cards, get enough relics, and shuffle through the deck to get kill combos off with the first three characters.

It reminds me a lot of playing the Binding of Isaac when all you get for a run is just piddly items that don't matter, no game-breaking combos. I could theoretically still win based on skill/reaction alone, but it's going to take at least an hour and I'm going to be frustrated the whole time
I have no idea what is best, or ideal, but I don't think I really clued into removing strikes/defends (or transforming) until I was somewhere at like Ascension 15-16. But I couldn't kill the heart at first, and just focused on Ascension levels. After all that time and learning (the Ascensions really force you to adapt and learn to deal with crappy situations) the heart suddenly became easy and I beat it on my first attempt (though I switched back to Ascension 1 to do it). I'm guessing Ascension 1 is the easiest to kill the heart on ... the extra elites let you farm for more relics, and with some experience, they become pretty easy to defeat.

I think a lot of it is to not focus on a specific build, and figure out how to best adapt to what you're offered. Something that blows me away still after 300+ hours is discovering incredible combos/synergies.

My most ridiculous recent deck turned out to be one with Nightmare, a couple Accuracy cards, and shivs, and supporting relics like the one that causes a random card to cost 0 when you play a power, and the boss one that adds 4 to 0-cost cards. I never bothered with Nightmare for whatever reason, but being able to consistently pump out shivs that were doing 20-40 damage each was hilarious.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

I have no idea what is best, or ideal, but I don't think I really clued into removing strikes/defends (or transforming) until I was somewhere at like Ascension 15-16. But I couldn't kill the heart at first, and just focused on Ascension levels. After all that time and learning (the Ascensions really force you to adapt and learn to deal with crappy situations) the heart suddenly became easy and I beat it on my first attempt (though I switched back to Ascension 1 to do it). I'm guessing Ascension 1 is the easiest to kill the heart on ... the extra elites let you farm for more relics, and with some experience, they become pretty easy to defeat.

I think a lot of it is to not focus on a specific build, and figure out how to best adapt to what you're offered. Something that blows me away still after 300+ hours is discovering incredible combos/synergies.

My most ridiculous recent deck turned out to be one with Nightmare, a couple Accuracy cards, and shivs, and supporting relics like the one that causes a random card to cost 0 when you play a power, and the boss one that adds 4 to 0-cost cards. I never bothered with Nightmare for whatever reason, but being able to consistently pump out shivs that were doing 20-40 damage each was hilarious.

:psyduck:

I thought you had to kill the heart to get to the next Ascension. I have been on the first one this whole time. When people talk about being A:16 I assumed they had killed the heart that many times.

I feel like less, and more, of a dumbass now

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

I picked up Mini Metro for $1 because people were singing its' praises after Mini Motorways just came out and I am not really feeling it. Visually it's fantastic but never feel like I'm doing anything more than randomly drawing lines around and hoping it works out.

Well Mini Metro was their first game, so if you played Motorways first, it's probably normal it feels worse. (I'm assuming of course. I loved Mini Metro on launch but I have yet to play Motorways)/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Xtanstic posted:

Well Mini Metro was their first game, so if you played Motorways first, it's probably normal it feels worse. (I'm assuming of course. I loved Mini Metro on launch but I have yet to play Motorways)/

No I've never played either of them I've just heard a lot about both of them lately with the release of Motorways. It's a $1 game on the phone and I realize it's their first so no harm no foul I just thought it felt a little more random than I expected I guess. I also probably just need to play more to figure out the intricacies.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

For me, Mini Metro is a fun game to see how many plates you can keep spinning all at once. Eventually it comes crashing down, and you start again or move on. Sometimes, I like playing my hometown and seing if I can reproduce existing metro lines. But yeah MM is mostly a puzzler rather than a city builder. I play it in like 15 mins spurts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

For me, Mini Metro is a fun game to see how many plates you can keep spinning all at once. Eventually it comes crashing down, and you start again or move on. Sometimes, I like playing my hometown and seing if I can reproduce existing metro lines. But yeah MM is mostly a puzzler rather than a city builder. I play it in like 15 mins spurts.

Absolutely this. Your aim is efficiency. I didn't really get Mini Metro until I watched a few strategy videos on it. They don't spoil anything, since the shape locations are random, I believe, but they definitely help the game 'click' with players.

For example, if I could offer one tip, which will likely show up in every tips video you'll see, is to alternate shapes along a route. Even if you have to make the route go in a direction that makes it take slightly longer, avoiding the same shape 2-3 or more stations in a row will help you immensely. And the fact that that's not always easy to do is what makes the strategy aspect come alive. If you've got 3 triangles right next to each other, what's the best way to deal with that, given your resources at the time?

Anyway, check this out, as well as similar videos. Unless MM turns out to just not be your type of game, I'd be surprised if you didn't get hooked. gently caress, I wanna play it again now. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIcaGej8LQk

Edit: check out this one, too. First tip right off the bat: since triangle, square, and circle are so common, always have at least one of each on every single line you place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyj2RrJHCaA

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 26, 2021

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I steamrolled the heart the first time I reached it at A0 and I've never beaten it since

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

thecluckmeme posted:

I thought you had to kill the heart to get to the next Ascension. I have been on the first one this whole time. When people talk about being A:16 I assumed they had killed the heart that many times.

Aw, it's not obvious. Buy yeah I've spent most of my time playing avoiding the things you need to access the heart, which make it even harder.

I have no idea if I'll ever be able to manage an Ascension 20 heart kill, but we'll see.

edit: the "worst" part is that I've mostly focused on The Silent ... even after that I have practically 3x more game to go. But I may just find other characters not as fun and not bother. I unfortunately doubt that'll be the case though.

edit2: I wonder if it's technically possible to beat every single seed

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 26, 2021

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

Feel free to drop by the Slay The Spire thread. There's pretty much always somone around to give advice, tips, and tricks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Absolutely this. Your aim is efficiency. I didn't really get Mini Metro until I watched a few strategy videos on it. They don't spoil anything, since the shape locations are random, I believe, but they definitely help the game 'click' with players.

Thanks for the writeup, I think maybe I just need to learn how to not suck before it can click for me. Going to keep at it and check some videos out!

Edit: Also I need to remind myself that this is a puzzle game and not a train management game.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 26, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

Edit: Also I need to remind myself that this is a puzzle game and not a train management game.

It's absolutely this. It's a far cry from Transport Tycoon Deluxe, for sure.

Kind of like how Punch Out is a reflex puzzle game, in the form of a boxing game.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

Feel free to drop by the Slay The Spire thread. There's pretty much always somone around to give advice, tips, and tricks.

...I should probably follow that too ha. Thanks!

Been in a weird mode for years on SA where 99.9% of my time I just read the threads in my control panel.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

...I should probably follow that too ha. Thanks!

Been in a weird mode for years on SA where 99.9% of my time I just read the threads in my control panel.

Weird? That's how you use the forums.

Also i've never beat slay the spire without doing a save game edit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If this is really how you feel about it I suggest just trying to force builds you enjoy playing. You won't be as successful overall but you'll have more fun hoping for certain relics and shaping your deck into Your Thing.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Can anyone recommend a decent premium diablo-like for Android? I'm looking for something casual with that general feel of loot-grind, but I'd also prefer a half-decent plot and something that will halfway respect my time. No IAP please.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Funktor posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent premium diablo-like for Android? I'm looking for something casual with that general feel of loot-grind, but I'd also prefer a half-decent plot and something that will halfway respect my time. No IAP please.

I've enjoyed Eternium for some time now. There are IAPs you could make, but I never have.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've been enjoying exiled kingdoms a lot.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Titan Quest is on Android

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Titan Quest is on Android

They said "decent"

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 28, 2021

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having trouble deciding whether to buy a 10inch tablet or 6.7 inch phone for playing games in bed.
This will be used to emulate SNES and PS1 JRPGs.

Will I regret buying the phone because the screen is too small for the game and also the buttons? With the tablet I get more room to include the buttons but the CPU is less powerful.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Mantari posted:

I'm having trouble deciding whether to buy a 10inch tablet or 6.7 inch phone for playing games in bed.
This will be used to emulate SNES and PS1 JRPGs.

Will I regret buying the phone because the screen is too small for the game and also the buttons? With the tablet I get more room to include the buttons but the CPU is less powerful.

I'm looking for something similar, but am holding out for how well the Steam Deck is received before pulling the trigger on spending any money (Q2 2022 lol). It looks like it would be a lot more comfortable to play retro console games on than on tablets/phones.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

edit2: I wonder if it's technically possible to beat every single seed

There's one almost certainly unwinnable one that's been identified

https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/mjuibc/comment/gtckddh/

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Infinity Island by Luca Redwood (developer of You Must Build A Boat) came out and... it's a thing. I loved YMBAB because it felt really good to play compared to other match-3 games but this one feels a bit weird and the art style isn't too hot compared to his previous works.

I have no idea what I'm doing in this game besides watching numbers go up.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

WaltherFeng posted:

Infinity Island by Luca Redwood (developer of You Must Build A Boat) came out and... it's a thing. I loved YMBAB because it felt really good to play compared to other match-3 games but this one feels a bit weird and the art style isn't too hot compared to his previous works.

I have no idea what I'm doing in this game besides watching numbers go up.

I wish they would make another match 3 game. YMBAB and 10000000 are two of my favorite games. I bought their last game, Photographs, and was disappointed. Felt too needlessly artsy without gameplay or actually compelling plot to back it up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Isn't he a goon? The lead dev of YMBAB I mean.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is there a favored controller or snap-on controller device for phones that you guys recommend? Starting to get into more that type of game and wanted to see what people actually like.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I like the gamesir

https://www.amazon.com/GameSir-X2-Controller-Android-Support/dp/B08PS9Y3Z4

Some games, (cod for example) don't have USB controller support, just Bluetooth, however you can map the virtual buttons to actual buttons on this controller so it works pretty good.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Is there a favored controller or snap-on controller device for phones that you guys recommend? Starting to get into more that type of game and wanted to see what people actually like.

A Dualshock 4, Xbox One controller (both wired and Bluetooth) will work perfectly. I tested both and I like playing CoD with a Dualshock 4. 8bitdo controllers are worth checking if you like the SNES style with added analogs.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy

staplegun posted:

I'm looking for something similar, but am holding out for how well the Steam Deck is received before pulling the trigger on spending any money (Q2 2022 lol). It looks like it would be a lot more comfortable to play retro console games on than on tablets/phones.

Actually I tested a SNES emulator on my current phone which is 5.2 inches and it's fine. A 10inch tablet might be way too big.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The steam portable gaming thing is 30hz... I don't get why it's being considered a serious item for basically anything besides casual games/puzzle games. If you think I'm being a hyperbolic incensed goon try turning your monitor down to 30hz and playing a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

VelociBacon posted:

The steam portable gaming thing is 30hz... I don't get why it's being considered a serious item for basically anything besides casual games/puzzle games. If you think I'm being a hyperbolic incensed goon try turning your monitor down to 30hz and playing a game.

It can do 60hz just higher end games might need to do 30 for best performace.