Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I think those kind of things work better in a video game, like the A/B scenario in RE2 or something, where the player is the one who gets to explore. That's what comes to mind when I think of The Thing prequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I listened to the second one on the way home yesterday and the only part I really remember is the guy getting eaten by the bugs instantly and his shoulder pads falling to the ground without his body there and his belt buckle being highly polished lol.

I liked that one! Some decent setup and an interesting payoff without getting too schlocky imo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

My favorite tidbit about this is that the first casualty to Space Meth is John Ratzenberger i.e. Cliff Clavin from Cheers...

Since we were talking how the Marines and W-Y and other corps interact with one another, there's a similar setup with ConAm and the Federal Marshalls, where the Marshalls are the government and, nominally, ConAm is to follow the law, but the reality is that money talks out in the frontier and the Marshalls, much like the Marines, are not supposed to antagonize the corporations in doing whatever the hell they want.

The Alien RPG has this dynamic too (it has a lot of little references to Alien-adjacent stuff in it in general Outland included) wherein there are Colonial Marshalls who are THE LAW on whatever colony they're in, but it's also a given that each one is in the pocket of some combination of which ever corporation funded the colony's setup/whoever the colonists are working to send resources to/a rival company or cartel or whatever.

The RPG touches on something else you bring up regarding if it's even worth weaponizing the xenomorph and is something I think we're sort of going through today with companies trying to push internet of things, ads projected to your face while you're driving, etc.

That the retro-future of still using cassette tapes and the state of the art future military using crappy CRT monitors and so on touches in the setting are because humanity in general is in decline because of companies like Weyland-Yutani. All of the vast resources these companies have go towards coddling the 1% and working to control and legally own things and have jurisdiction over things like the xenomorph, engineer artifacts, whatever instead of actually creating anything new. The people at the wheels of the mega corps drop all of this time/money into pie in the sky stuff to be even more rich or to make their name (or themselves) immortal instead of anything actually productive.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Basic biology makes me surmise that an animal needs nutrient intake of some sort to grow. I figured with things like a mouth & teeth that a xenomorph "eats."

Then again, those tubes out of its back could be some weird energy-collecting thing like how a plant uses leaves to gather sunlight.

Maybe xwnomorphs are mobile plants?

It's complete coincidence, but I love that the "pipes" on the back of the back of the the Alien alien evoke the multiple towers of the mining rig the Nostromo his hauling and that that sort of tower has come to mean "refinery structure" in other Alien stuff. Nice mechanical part of the bio-mechanical monster. I assumed they could eat just about anything to grow based on it growing so fast in Alien. Like loose pieces of metal, whatever. I think in the comic and novel there's a bit about it getting into their food reserves and growing off of that. IIRC it's mentioned in a deleted scene also but not actually in the 1978/2003/2019 cuts of the movie.

I also like the idea of the pipes being like a spider or aphid's spinnerettes and what they use to create the hive stuff/cocoon people for implanting/etc., but I think the "official" way they do that in EU stuff is by just vomiting a ton of goop up.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Has there ever been a good prequel?

Temple of Doom is the best I can come up with, and most people fuckin hate that movie.

I'm not a big Underworld fan, but Underworld: Rise of the Lycans was decent enough too. It even had a couple of moments of being well shot/pretty good, though I know that's a low bar to clear since it's in the same series as the other Underworld movies.

Does Fear Street count? The 1974 and 1666 installments were really drat good.

Thumposaurus posted:

Watched predator 2 the other night then the next day watched aliens vs predator and AvP:requiem back to back.
Fell asleep during requiem.

Still thinking about them aliens(and predators)

Predator 2 is so loving good.

Requiem is hilarious to me because it's like a textbook typical slightly meaner Italian grindhouse filmed in the middle of nowhere sequel knockoff* of some actual really good AvP movie, but it's an official movie. :lol:

See Terminator 2: Shocking Dark, Alien 2: On Earth, etc.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 28, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I also like the idea of the pipes being like a spider or aphid's spinnerettes and what they use to create the hive stuff/cocoon people for implanting/etc., but I think the "official" way they do that in EU stuff is by just vomiting a ton of goop up.
In the old Leading Edge “Aliens Adventure Game” RPG, the back tubes are treated as spinnerettes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Neo Rasa posted:

See Terminator 2: Shocking Dark

Please don't make me see this again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Neo Rasa posted:

Predator 2 is so loving good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just finished Labyrinth. It's not bad. Much better reading it sober. Not amazing though. A lot of it was predictable but overall it was pretty good.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

You're a fatuous rah-rah boy and I can't hate you enough

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
crespi nooo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Just finished Labyrinth. It's not bad. Much better reading it sober. Not amazing though. A lot of it was predictable but overall it was pretty good.

Heretic, Labyrinth is perfect and I love it and I want to marry it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

drat I forgot about this. Chet here looks like he wants to sell you a lightly used police interceptor. Only driven to church on Sundays.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

drat I forgot about this. Chet here looks like he wants to sell you a lightly used police interceptor. Only driven to church on Sundays.

That's his specialty!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Frost and Dietrick had an adventure involving some kind of space insect that attaches to a host and lays eggs in them, lol. Afterwards Dietrick says "if I ever have to fight those things again, I'm bringing a flamethrower! :haw:

Involuntarily groaned when I read this.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Apropos to the conversation, I've been listening to Aliens: Bug Hunt, an anthology style book with various stories set in the Alien universe. I don't know if it's considered canon or whatever, but there's some background info/answers to questions no one asked. It has a Star Wars EU vibe of "everything and everyone needs a backstory". I haven't experienced much Alien fiction outside the movies, so maybe that's standard. Anyway here's a list of some things in the book:

Bishop being activated for the first time, he is "special"/has emotions, also Hudson taught him the knife trick
Hicks has a tragic story concerning his wife who was another marine
There was some kind of love triangle between Hudson, Dietrick, and some other guy
Frost and Dietrick had an adventure involving some kind of space insect that attaches to a host and lays eggs in them, lol. Afterwards Dietrick says "if I ever have to fight those things again, I'm bringing a flamethrower! :haw:
Carter Burke backstory which I have to admit I did find interesting

Regarding how eggs function,
One of the stories is told from the perspective of the xenomorphs, and the eggs are not considered alive, but react to a few different stimuli, such as carbon dioxide being expelled by potential hosts. Furthermore, as far as food is concerned, a queen hocks a loogie into the mouth of a baby queen because she desperately needs nutrition to grow. It also says if alone, a queen will eat anything she can, but in a controlled hive, she will be given special nutrition to help her grow as fast as possible, reaching adult size in less than a week.

There's some outright wacky stuff in the book too like a dude who was experimented upon by a drug company, and when in danger he hulks out. As in, he grown huge, his skin turns red colored, he grows spikes and becomes super strong.

This stuff really isn't my cup of tea so I've been playing the audiobook in the background as I do other things. I'm sure I've missed a ton of details but whatever. I've discovered I prefer Alien content to be more "serious" rather than pulpy

I did enjoy the story about the origins of the Pulse rifle, and the one told from the POV of the facehugger/chestburster/young queen. But overall, I did not like this collection very much at all.

Predator: If it Bleeds is a collection along the same kinds of lines that was much better IMO

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

The key to a good prequel is restraint. When you're hitting the point of explaining where Han Solo got a blaster from you have badly gone off mark.

Jesus, did they do that in Solo? I thought it was bad enough when the marketing was all "Learn how Han Solo got his name!" A question I don't think anyone had ever thought to ask, and if they did would probably have answered with "I guess Mr and Mrs Solo liked the name 'Han.'"

Jay_Zombie posted:

I agree with this 100%.
Some things are better left to the imagination.
I don't give a single care about "Space Jockeys", Xeno origins, evolutionary precursors to the Alien/Aliens style Xenos or any of that. I for one, am totally fine with just leaving it at, "No one knows where they came from, how long they've been around, precisely how they work, or exactly where they all are. All we know is that they are out there, they are lethal, and they're just waiting for fresh meat to stumble upon them." That's all the background I need, and it also nods to the fact that despite the fact that man has figured out how to travel between planets, and solar systems, and beyond, we still have no idea what horrors lurk in the unknown. Similar to how even in 2021, we're still finding new forms of life in the depths of the ocean, just on a much grander scale. You could think that Xenomorphs are at the top of the galactic food chain, so to speak, but it's equally plausible that there's something even more unimaginably horrible and deadly above them. And even with all our knowledge, technology and other advancements, we are still comparatively frail, weak, vulnerable and helpless.
I think the xenos having evolved somewhere is a far more terrifying thought. What sort of ecosystem would produce something like that? What sort of defenses have the other species on that planet developed? What if xenomorphs aren't the top of the food chain on that planet? These all seem to me to lead to far more interesting film possibilities than Ridley Scott's half-assed ruminations on gods.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Sunswipe posted:

Jesus, did they do that in Solo? I thought it was bad enough when the marketing was all "Learn how Han Solo got his name!" A question I don't think anyone had ever thought to ask, and if they did would probably have answered with "I guess Mr and Mrs Solo liked the name 'Han.'"

I don't know about you but I don't think I could sleep at night without knowing how Han got his little golden dice charm he hangs from the Falcon's rear view mirror or whatever.

quote:

I think the xenos having evolved somewhere is a far more terrifying thought. What sort of ecosystem would produce something like that? What sort of defenses have the other species on that planet developed? What if xenomorphs aren't the top of the food chain on that planet? These all seem to me to lead to far more interesting film possibilities than Ridley Scott's half-assed ruminations on gods.

There's a lot of things that would have been better than Ridley Scott's half-assed ruminations on gods.
Personally, I would prefer sequels and leave much of the origin unknown or speculative. But that's me. I feel like if you start over explaining how the monster works, the monster ceases to be so scary.

And literally as I type this, YouTube started playing The Critical Drinker video about Alien: Covenant.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 29, 2021

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Sunswipe posted:

That is my go-to complaint about that movie. EVERYgoddamnTHING we know about the backstory is explained in like three days or whatever (other than him enlisting and getting the surname Solo). After a whirlwind like that no wonder dude was so burnt-out and jaded. The OG trilogy definitely have an Uncle Rico 'watch me throw this football over that mountain' vibe to him now.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

It's EU stuff, but there is a lot of speculation about that very thing in a lot of the comics and novels. Like, imagine some type of beast that can easily take a xeno out, and caused them to evolve this acidic blood? That's a planet you do NOT want to go to.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Robert Facepalmer posted:

That is my go-to complaint about that movie. EVERYgoddamnTHING we know about the backstory is explained in like three days or whatever (other than him enlisting and getting the surname Solo). After a whirlwind like that no wonder dude was so burnt-out and jaded. The OG trilogy definitely have an Uncle Rico 'watch me throw this football over that mountain' vibe to him now.
Compare and contrast that to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indy gets literally every character trait and iconic piece of equipment over the course of like 15 minutes during the opening of the movie.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok posted:

I recently got most of the Alien Omnibus novelizations (not the comics):

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 1
- Earth Hive
- Nightmare Asylum
- The Female War

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 2
- Genocide
- Alien Harvest

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 3
- Rogue
- Labyrinth

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 4
- Music of the Spears
- Berserker

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 6
- Cauldron
- Steel Egg

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 7
- Criminal Enterprise
- No Exit

I'd already read all of the ones in Vol.1 a while back, so I started in with Genocide. Which had a couple of moments, but was not great. I think i will skip up to Labyrinth next.

I've read most of this stuff in comic book form in years past, I just wanted to check out the novelizations, because I had recently read the Cold Forge, and Out of the Shadows/Sea of Sorrow/River of Pain

@xenomrph, you have any suggestions here? Have you read any of these?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

Compare and contrast that to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indy gets literally every character trait and iconic piece of equipment over the course of like 15 minutes during the opening of the movie.

Harrison Ford characters ain’t got time for this poo poo, man! You want a loving Deckard origin story? Too bad, you blinked and missed it!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

@xenomrph, you have any suggestions here? Have you read any of these?
Of course, I've read all of them. :v:

It's been a long time since I read them so I'm not sure how well they hold up nowadays, but they're all pretty neat and bring different stuff to the table depending on what you're looking for.

Criminal Enterprise is pretty cool, and No Exit is great until the last like 1/5 of the book where the author says "Oh poo poo, I have a deadline to meet!" and just.... ends the book. It's not even a cliffhanger or anything, it's just a super-sloppy and unsatisfying ending.

I'm a huge fan of Labyrinth (the comic), but the novel is solid and will make do in a pinch.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've been thinking about sequels and prequels. A good sequel or prequel leaves the original's universe bigger and richer than before, while a bad sequel makes it smaller. Prequels and sequels love to overexplain and tie everything together in a neat bow, but that by its nature makes things smaller.

In Alien we have a mystery alien with insane biology that kills a bunch of people. It comes from an alien ship full of eggs crashed on a dead planet. A big company gets a bunch of people killed checking it out, and one of them is a humanoid android. All of this creates a bunch of questions, very few of which are relevant to the direct plot of the film but are interesting. We're left with the feeling of a big, scary universe full of more things than we thought were there at the start of the film.

In the first sequel, you know the one, very few of these questions are answered. We find out that Androids are, if not common, at least not unheard of. We find out that there are specialized aliens, but not how or why they specialize. We find out the company does colonies as well as prospecting/mining/shipping. We found out that gender doesn't matter when they're Arcturian. The biggest shakeup to the status quo is the alien queen specialization, but that does not in itself is not an issue, depending where the franchise takes it.

Alien 3 is the first big drop in the size of the universe. Leaning into Queens being Lynchpin Aliens that need Special Facehuggers makes the Aliens less scary, because now it's harder to get stressed about a single regular alien. Yeah it'll kill a bunch of people but eh. Company gets ahold of one? Not like they can make more of them, maybe clone them or whatever, but sure if they could do that from a live alien they could do it from all the alien bits scattered around the colony in Aliens. They could have had the same effect by having Ripley infected with a regular Alien and having her concerned they'll raise it to a Queen. One Alien in the right place is all it takes!

Resurrection leans even harder into Queens being massive points of failure. No more Queens, no more Aliens. Regular Aliens are not an existential threat, just a personal one. Also, Weyland Yutani threw everything they had into finding the Aliens again, but never found one. They also never found anything else as scary as an Alien so the new company still wants to clone them. The universe of Alien 4 is so much less foreboding than the universe of Alien and Aliens.

Then we get to Prometheus, which was a terrible film but was, in this respect, potentially a good prequel (in this respect). We find out that there's an old precursor race that artificially panspermiad the galaxy and absolutely loves making hosed up monsters. That answers a hell of a lot of questions (including why Aliens are compatible with Humans, Because Panspermia) but opens up a hell of a lot more! What other hosed up precursor monsters are out there? What have those monsters become in the billions of years since? "Why did they make the aliens like they did then" is potentially a fridge logic issue, but "Because they keep throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks because they just loving love making weird hosed up monsters!" is a perfectly good answer that leads to even more cool questions. Or maybe they didn't make the Aliens like that, maybe they only became the Aliens we know and love in the millions of years since the precursors were wiped out by their own creations (because d'uh of course that's what happened). A post-prometheus Aliens universe has so much potential.

Then loving Covenant happened.

The first monster they encounter is airborne nanites that there's no way to defend against. Infinitely more dangerous than the universe's iconic monster, and so dangerous there's no way to make them interesting. Who cares about facehuggers when a nice walk in the forest can make you explode into a billion monsters with no warning?

What happened to the precursors? Nothing, they were still around during Prometheus.

Oh wow! So what have they been up to? Nothing. They're exactly as technologically advanced as they were billions of years ago.

Oh. So... what are they doing now? Nothing, a sad android killed them all offscreen.

Please stop telling me things I don- Also the sad android masturbates a flute with his clone, kills off most of the rest of the cast, kills the survivor of the previous film off screen, and reveals that he made the aliens and they're like that on purpose, despite being a strict downgrade from the aliens that we ran into earlier in the film that he had also made.

Just.

Just loving hell.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sunswipe posted:

Wait until you hear about how you take parsecs off the kessel run! (It's a shortcut near a black hole with a monster in it) (also it was actually 13 parsecs lol). Also the galactic smuggler with his own ship apparently stays on tatooine for like 10 years before luke rents his ship

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 29, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

Wait until you hear about how you take parsecs off the kessel run! (It's a shortcut through some badlands with a monster in it)

To be fair that’s how he did it in the old expanded universe stuff, and the way the movie did it was entertaining and looked cool so I’m willing to give it a pass on the Rule of Cool.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair that’s how he did it in the old expanded universe stuff, and the way the movie did it was entertaining and looked cool so I’m willing to give it a pass on the Rule of Cool.
Did it need to be crammed into the film though?

Like, think about it. That's apparently the most notable thing he's done since getting the falcon. That's his big story. Everything about him that was interesting enough to come up in the original trilogy occurred over the course of about a week. It turns him from a devil may care braggart making an off the cuff remark about one of his many exploits into a sad, washed up old man repeating his one bar story for what is probably the thousandth time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Eh I dunno, I liked ‘Solo’ :shobon:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Prequels are at best pointless because they tell us the story of people whose fate we already know and events of which we already know the outcome; and at worst actively damage the character or story they're telling the origin of. Or does anyone still think Vader's a menacing figure, after discovering that he turned to the Dark Side because he was an easily duped moron who got pissed off about not getting a promotion at work because of his anger issues, and who had the hots for an older woman he'd first met as a kid and who he subsequently creeped on and badgered until she finally gave in?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sometimes it’s the journey, not the destination. Like, with the Thing prequel you go into the movie knowing you’re watching the story of dead characters, but it’s still a fun and exciting ride with cool stuff in it.

I’m not saying prequels don’t have major inherent pitfalls baked into the concept, just that I think they can be done right.

Like in Warhammer 40,000, the Horus Heresy novel series is one huge 50+ book long-form prequel to the main setting, but it still manages to have neat stories and interesting characters despite the audience knowing exactly how it “ends”.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 29, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Good post, thanks.

WRT Alien3 and the addition of the 'Queen facehugger', is that in both cuts of the film? I remember seeing it and noting that it was distinct and enormous (I think I even had the toy), and you raise an excellent point about its uniqueness and recognizability taking away tension from the universe. Of course, if it's not in both cuts you can sort of pick and choose your own headcanon, as we are all wont to do. I read in some of the EU stuff, can't remember where exactly, that a drone left alone long enough can transform itself into a Queen. And of course, before "what's laying all the eggs" was even asked, we had a deleted scene from Alien wherein Dallas and someone else were found by Ripley, grotesquely being turned into new eggs.

But this begs a new question I hadn't considered in a while, related earlier to our thread's musings on the alien's life cycle. Where did the Queen on LV426 come from? Had it been there since the events of Alien or earlier, laying a clutch of eggs and then hibernating until its brood began to grow? Or was it born from a lucky colonist?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I always assumed it had been born from a lucky colonist.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mister Speaker posted:

Good post, thanks.

WRT Alien3 and the addition of the 'Queen facehugger', is that in both cuts of the film? I remember seeing it and noting that it was distinct and enormous (I think I even had the toy), and you raise an excellent point about its uniqueness and recognizability taking away tension from the universe. Of course, if it's not in both cuts you can sort of pick and choose your own headcanon, as we are all wont to do. I read in some of the EU stuff, can't remember where exactly, that a drone left alone long enough can transform itself into a Queen. And of course, before "what's laying all the eggs" was even asked, we had a deleted scene from Alien wherein Dallas and someone else were found by Ripley, grotesquely being turned into new eggs.

But this begs a new question I hadn't considered in a while, related earlier to our thread's musings on the alien's life cycle. Where did the Queen on LV426 come from? Had it been there since the events of Alien or earlier, laying a clutch of eggs and then hibernating until its brood began to grow? Or was it born from a lucky colonist?

I like how the Alien RPG handles this a lot by just saying all of this stuff happens and is part of the lifecycle and it's a weird alien creature that comes from millions year old black goo interacting with lifeforms of course it makes no sense to understanding of how poo poo works.

The way the RPG does it is like, a xenomorph like the one in Alien is born, it doesn't perceive or hear from a queen -> Start catching whatever it finds and turning them into eggs -> Keep doing that until a "queen facehugger" implants something -> That thing is now priority 1, start puking up goop to build a hive around it to keep it safe. They account for the behavior by saying how this strain of alien is technically more built to function as a hive with a queen on a genetic programming level which is why weird poo poo can go down with their behavior as seen in Alien if they're alone.

I have to recommend that book for anyone that's into Alien stuff even if they have no interest in playing the game, they do a great job of not actually revealing much about the engineers/etc. but still having a way for every type of creature and lifecycle we've seen in the movies to be a thing.

They even take into account the one in a zillion scenario of if someone who has been implanted by a facehugger then also gets exposed to the goo before it pops out and the result is that the goo and the embryo are compatible enough that instead of the embryo growing, the goo starts reshaping the person's guts/skeleton into a kinda sorta xenomorph form causing the person to completely pop out of their human skin and everything, the end result is like older idea for the xenomorph in Alien where its exoskeleton is transparent and you can see a human skull under it and stuff

Most importantly though the Covenant spores are in the game but like if you're wearing a suit or in any kind of sealed vehicle they don't effect you, and while they aggressively seek out stuff they die relatively fast if they float around without finding anything for too long - Even for a game meant to be very deadly like the Alien RPG the Covenant spores in the movie were too strong lol

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 29, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I think Ridley Scott just has terminal boomer brain now, and should be kept away from movies for the rest of his life.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mister Speaker posted:

Good post, thanks.

WRT Alien3 and the addition of the 'Queen facehugger', is that in both cuts of the film? I remember seeing it and noting that it was distinct and enormous (I think I even had the toy), and you raise an excellent point about its uniqueness and recognizability taking away tension from the universe.
I'm more thinking about how Ripley somehow knew, I forget how, that she's been implanted with a queen specifically.

Mister Speaker posted:

Of course, if it's not in both cuts you can sort of pick and choose your own headcanon, as we are all wont to do. I read in some of the EU stuff, can't remember where exactly, that a drone left alone long enough can transform itself into a Queen.
Was the EU source me because I keep saying that's my pet theory in this thread :v: If there's paper to back me up on this I'd be a very happy man.

Mister Speaker posted:

And of course, before "what's laying all the eggs" was even asked, we had a deleted scene from Alien wherein Dallas and someone else were found by Ripley, grotesquely being turned into new eggs.

If you ignore Alien 3 and 4 then all those are possible answers. "It was there the whole time" is, for me, the least satisfying answer, and makes for the least robust Alien propagation. "There was a queen egg in the ship" is... fine, assuming that an existing queen is not the only way to get a queen egg. If a queen can arise from a queenless colony though, either through promotion (like the clownfish) or the non-queens "crafting" a queen egg, then "just one of those things getting to earth" is an existential threat again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neo Rasa posted:

I like how the Alien RPG handles this a lot by just saying all of this stuff happens and is part of the lifecycle and it's a weird alien creature that comes from millions year old black goo interacting with lifeforms of course it makes no sense to understanding of how poo poo works.

The way the RPG does it is like, a xenomorph like the one in Alien is born, it doesn't perceive or hear from a queen -> Start catching whatever it finds and turning them into eggs -> Keep doing that until a "queen facehugger" implants something -> That thing is now priority 1, start puking up goop to build a hive around it to keep it safe. They account for the behavior by saying how this strain of alien is technically more built to function as a hive with a queen on a genetic programming level which is why weird poo poo can go down with their behavior as seen in Alien if they're alone.

I have to recommend that book for anyone that's into Alien stuff even if they have no interest in playing the game, they do a great job of not actually revealing much about the engineers/etc. but still having a way for every type of creature and lifecycle we've seen in the movies to be a thing.

They even take into account the one in a zillion scenario of if someone who has been implanted by a facehugger then also gets exposed to the goo before it pops out and the result is that the goo and the embryo are compatible enough that instead of the embryo growing, the goo starts reshaping the person's guts/skeleton into a kinda sorta xenomorph form causing the person to completely pop out of their human skin and everything, the end result is like older idea for the xenomorph in Alien where its exoskeleton is transparent and you can see a human skull under it and stuff

Most importantly though the Covenant spores are in the game but like if you're wearing a suit or in any kind of sealed vehicle they don't effect you, and while they aggressively seek out stuff they die relatively fast if they float around without finding anything for too long - Even for a game meant to be very deadly like the Alien RPG the Covenant spores in the movie were too strong lol
Oh wow this is extremely good stuff. The only thing it kind of leaves on the table is why on earth did the queen lay a queen egg for Ripley when two regular alien eggs would have been absolutely better?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thinking about Bill Paxton. :smith:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Wait until you hear about how you take parsecs off the kessel run! (It's a shortcut near a black hole with a monster in it) (also it was actually 13 parsecs lol). Also the galactic smuggler with his own ship apparently stays on tatooine for like 10 years before luke rents his ship

I really miss the days when I liked Star Wars. The prequels didn't put me off the franchise, but goddamn if Disney haven't changed my attitude to "It's ok for things to end."

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Prequels are at best pointless because they tell us the story of people whose fate we already know and events of which we already know the outcome; and at worst actively damage the character or story they're telling the origin of. Or does anyone still think Vader's a menacing figure, after discovering that he turned to the Dark Side because he was an easily duped moron who got pissed off about not getting a promotion at work because of his anger issues, and who had the hots for an older woman he'd first met as a kid and who he subsequently creeped on and badgered until she finally gave in?

Everything on the prequels changes for the better when you take the perspective that Lucas is taking the piss out of all the loudmouthed fans.

:allears:: Wow, Darth Vader must have always been a cool bad rear end space warrior!

:haw:: No he wasn't, he was a whiny kid who was way over his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Vader was already thoroughly demystified by Return of the Jedi. He was just a sad, helpless old man, entrapped and enslaved by the emperor, who literally hid behind an evil robot mask to make his cruelty to others seem cool instead of pathetic