Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jazerus posted:

the famicom version was so much more hype than either of these versions lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdCQEsRw-oA

I definitely see where you're coming from, but I think a lot of the hype of the original has to do with Nobuo being a loving wizard at manipulating the NES's sound chip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I just got my first honest death at Salamander in FF3, I'm gonna have to actually do some damage mitigation

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Mind posting the final battle theme? The 14 rendition is one of my favorite FF tracks of all time, I'm curious to see how this one stacks up!

Do you mean for FF3?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPyxA_kC6ZQ

Never played FFXIV sorry so not sure if you meant 2 or 3.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I just got my first honest death at Salamander in FF3, I'm gonna have to actually do some damage mitigation

I am relieved to hear Salamander remains the first real boss of FF3.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I definitely see where you're coming from, but I think a lot of the hype of the original has to do with Nobuo being a loving wizard at manipulating the NES's sound chip

yeah for sure. i think it's a song that lives and dies by its tempo and instrument balance; the new pixel remake version feels slightly slower and the guitar overwhelms, while in the DS version the trumpet is muddied by the other instruments at some really key points. i think a non-chiptune version could work, but neither of them hit the mark exactly right

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you mean for FF3?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPyxA_kC6ZQ

Never played FFXIV sorry so not sure if you meant 2 or 3.

I am relieved to hear Salamander remains the first real boss of FF3.

that's it, thanks! Track kicks rear end but I think the 14 version is still tops for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVd6AvzGJP0

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What are the job actions in 3? Is it like the NES version where Ranger uses white magic or like the DS version where it uses the Barrage action?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hogama posted:

As far as playable content, it's all the stock stuff from the original releases. No bonus dungeons or bosses that weren't otherwise present in their NES/SNES releases. Bug fixes are generally there, at least.

Sight unseen, I can tell you IV won't have augments or party swapping, V won't have the extra jobs, VI won't have the new espers or weapons. And of course no extra dungeons for any of them.
Systems changes might make it, though; by this I'm mostly thinking that we could get Cyan's "pick a Bushido level and it charges on its own" mechanic.

I dunno yet myself what the final boss will look like but if they've designed the sprites to get close to the Amano artwork then I assume it'll be based on this? :shrug:

I'm going to laugh real hard if/when they add the missing content as paid DLC for their respective games.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

What are the job actions in 3? Is it like the NES version where Ranger uses white magic or like the DS version where it uses the Barrage action?

the first set of jobs are much more standard "fight or use magic" types, but with the second set you begin getting begin getting jobs with more going on

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm going to laugh real hard if/when they add the missing content as paid DLC for their respective games.

I can see the logic of it not being there for FF1 and 3, since the extra content in the remakes of 1 was balanced around an entirely different magic system and the extra content in the 3D version of 3 frankly sucked rear end anyway. But for 4-6 the extra content should really be there

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Emperor Matheus Palamecia taking over both Heaven and Hell was cool as hell.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the first set of jobs are much more standard "fight or use magic" types, but with the second set you begin getting begin getting jobs with more going on

I know, I’m asking of they used the job design from the NES or DS versions.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All I know is Monk doesn't have Retaliate and it loving sucks and makes it so boring and I will be dropping it as soon as i can.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Does the PC version of these have particularly annoying DRM? I've just gotten back into PC gaming lately and was annoyed to see that the PC version of Legend of Mana apparently uses Denuvo, which I've heard is (or was) something you don't want on your machine.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I am desperate to hear the remastered version for my favorite music track from FF6 when it gets released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_aX6I0xLbo

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Emperor Matheus Palamecia taking over both Heaven and Hell was cool as hell.

Emperor Mateus Iscar

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm going with Firion as a white mage puncher dual-wielding shields, Maria as a black mage, and Guy as a big guy with big weapons.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this music is top to bottom fantastic and I can't wait to see what they do for the later games

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm going with Firion as a white mage puncher dual-wielding shields, Maria as a black mage, and Guy as a big guy with big weapons.

Don't use armor on any of them and have Maria dual wield shields (and Guy for a little while too). You'll be glad you did, since I imagine the system to gain AGI is also extremely annoying in this version of FF2 and that it still affects things like flee rate in addition to evasion being far more important than defense.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Does leveling work the same way in this version of FF2 as older ones? Like, does the select cancel trick work at all or has that been fixed?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Interesting change in FF1, Theres a part of the Earth Cave known as the Hall of Giants just to the left of the entrance that was known for having a 100% random encounter rate with some enemies that gave a ton of xp, now theres just shades walking around you talk to trigger those encounters if you want to grind so new players don't get trapped in that hallway and die due to lack of resources.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blockhouse posted:

this music is top to bottom fantastic and I can't wait to see what they do for the later games

Final Fantasy Megathread: $74.82 music album, six free JRPGs included

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't use armor on any of them and have Maria dual wield shields (and Guy for a little while too). You'll be glad you did, since I imagine the system to gain AGI is also extremely annoying in this version of FF2 and that it still affects things like flee rate in addition to evasion being far more important than defense.

Thanks for the tip, guess I'll buy more shields.

Shield for everyone!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Final Fantasy Megathread: $74.82 music album, six free JRPGs included

I do have these fancy mod powers, I might do something with them for once.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Levantine posted:

Does leveling work the same way in this version of FF2 as older ones? Like, does the select cancel trick work at all or has that been fixed?

That's been fixed in every version other than the original NES one, so I'm sure it's fixed in this one as well. It'll be really easy for you to check though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's been fixed in every version other than the original NES one, so I'm sure it's fixed in this one as well. It'll be really easy for you to check though.

I was just curious, I haven't picked any of these up yet. Impressions seem pretty positive though so maybe by the weekend.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Anyone know if the mobile versions support playing in portrait mode?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So I've gotten to the earth cave in FF1, there are actually a number of interesting changes to the game overall.

One of the big changes is that tile monsters don't appear to be a thing anymore.

- The Wizards/Piscodemons guarding the crown are now a chest monster.
- The tile monsters in the first floor of the Chaos Temple don't appear to be there anymore. I haven't gone back to Astos' castle post-Mystic Key to check that yet.
- The hall of giants on 1F of the Earth Cave is now just a normal hallway, with two generic "hooded monsters" walking around. Talking to one triggers a giant fight. If you kill it the one you talked to disappears, however if you exit the cave and re-enter they are back.

Also the power peninsula/power penis is no longer there. Seems they're trying to take out ways to power level all around.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I can see why they'd want to trim the Peninsula of Power, it'd be good for a level per character per fight plus at first with the new EXP curve.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I get fixing the peninsula but the hall of giants is iconic, sad to see it get reduced like that

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's wild how little fanfare these got compared to how much work and love has been clearly put into them (font aside)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That hall nearly got me killed in my playthrough. Taking it out is sacrilege

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

playing FFIII like this is extremely cool.
I hope we see some mods for these, a classic difficulty mod for FFI would be fun

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Can the MacBook m1s play these games?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Augus posted:

playing FFIII like this is extremely cool.
I hope we see some mods for these, a classic difficulty mod for FFI would be fun

Yeah this seems super polished so I hope it's easily moddable.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The discussion around this remaster is making me realize something interesting: that more than any other game I can think of, balancing FFI is still an unsolved question. Beyond just people wanting extra challenge/easy modes, too, it feels like there's not an agreed-on idea for how to balance even the base game.

I think it comes from the fact that the original release is universally agreed on as broken and wrong. It's not even like the original Pokemon where the game will at least mostly work as intended if you play it normally and the bugs only get bad in edge cases; with NES FFI basic stats just don't work, so every single fight is fundamentally broken, even if not by much. Because of that, while everyone has a universal agreed-on touchstone, that touchstone is 'well, THAT'S definitely wrong'.

It's interesting to step back and look at the various ports, remasters and mods given that. Because there just isn't a gospel idea of how hard FFI 'should' be and in what ways, every new attempt to present it comes up with something different.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Classic difficulty would be nice as a definitely definitive version, but there's so much other potential in modding too. Being able to see what makes everything tick in FF1-6 without statistical analysis or 6502 disassembly, taking what appears to be the first fully working implementation of FF1 ever and giving it monster stats to match the new player power curve rather than rebreaking it to fit the reinserted old power curve, the incredible possibility for randomizers and FF5r/FF6T/FF6BNW style hacks since at the very least all the data structures are prebuilt to include every gimmick from every game, even potentially wilder things like "what if THF was still bad but FF1 had ATB so they could be bad twice as often as anyone else was good" or conversely "make Cyan useful by making FF6 turn-based".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Can anyone think of an FF party member (from any mainline FF) who could reasonably be classified as a Red Mage?

I feel like naming my FF1 party after other FF characters and so far I've got Cecil (Warrior), Locke (Thief), and Garnet (White Mage). But I can't think of anyone who'd really count as a Red Mage.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mandoric posted:

Classic difficulty would be nice as a definitely definitive version, but there's so much other potential in modding too. Being able to see what makes everything tick in FF1-6 without statistical analysis or 6502 disassembly, taking what appears to be the first fully working implementation of FF1 ever and giving it monster stats to match the new player power curve rather than rebreaking it to fit the reinserted old power curve, the incredible possibility for randomizers and FF5r/FF6T/FF6BNW style hacks since at the very least all the data structures are prebuilt to include every gimmick from every game, even potentially wilder things like "what if THF was still bad but FF1 had ATB so they could be bad twice as often as anyone else was good" or conversely "make Cyan useful by making FF6 turn-based".

ff5 jobs in other FFs. six game fiestas

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Harrow posted:

Can anyone think of an FF party member (from any mainline FF) who could reasonably be classified as a Red Mage?

I feel like naming my FF1 party after other FF characters and so far I've got Cecil (Warrior), Locke (Thief), and Garnet (White Mage). But I can't think of anyone who'd really count as a Red Mage.

Lightning. Like, in FFXIII She has Commando, Ravager, and Medic roles by default. Offensive magic, Healing Magic, and physical attacker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Harrow posted:

Alisaie :colbert: