Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mandoric posted:

Classic difficulty would be nice as a definitely definitive version, but there's so much other potential in modding too. Being able to see what makes everything tick in FF1-6 without statistical analysis or 6502 disassembly, taking what appears to be the first fully working implementation of FF1 ever and giving it monster stats to match the new player power curve rather than rebreaking it to fit the reinserted old power curve, the incredible possibility for randomizers and FF5r/FF6T/FF6BNW style hacks since at the very least all the data structures are prebuilt to include every gimmick from every game, even potentially wilder things like "what if THF was still bad but FF1 had ATB so they could be bad twice as often as anyone else was good" or conversely "make Cyan useful by making FF6 turn-based".

you're making me excited about these remasters in a way I was not expecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Alisaie.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo yeah Alisaie is clearly the right answer

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Harrow posted:

Can anyone think of an FF party member (from any mainline FF) who could reasonably be classified as a Red Mage?

I feel like naming my FF1 party after other FF characters and so far I've got Cecil (Warrior), Locke (Thief), and Garnet (White Mage). But I can't think of anyone who'd really count as a Red Mage.

Hope is basically a Sage which is kinda similar?

That's all I got.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Hope would work, too. Both he and Alisaie have the white hair, too.

I might also just go full FF4 and go Cecil, Edge, Palom, and Porom. Palom's a Black Mage but I'm sure he can survive a job change.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Refia showed up in a lot of the 3DS promo material and fanart in Red Mage gear, Tellah and Fusoya had the skillset though not the look, and you could make an outside argument for Terra. Or Julius from FFA/SD1 if you wanted to stretch things, who stole the Red Mage sprite for his disguised look as a temporary party member.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tellah and FuSoYa are Sages. An important part of Red Mage is being able to hit something with a sword once in a while.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Terra and Celes are both basically red mages.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
On the other hand, Sage gets summons too so it's hard to really call them that mechanically in a game that has young Rydia.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OK yeah, definitely no monster tiles anymore. Just did the Castle of Ordeals and the two mandatory fights were hooded monsters blocking your way.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I haven't finished figuring out how the encounter zone tables are set up, but if they're precise enough to trim off the Peninsula of Power they're probably precise enough to be a 1x1 featuring exactly one encounter that chunks the step counter by 255 for reimplementation.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Benjamin from Mystic Quest is basically a Red Mage since he gets Black, White, and Wizard spells. And can wear armor and use swords.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't wait for the FF6 remaster just for the soundtrack.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Freya is a dragoon but she dresses like a red mage

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Harrow posted:

Same here. Like I'm insanely excited.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I think the scrunched font doesn't bug me nearly as much as that the text just pops up instead of scrolling out.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Unrelated to the current conversation, but is FF7’s Jenova just a Lavos? Extraterrestrial being that crashes onto a planet and manipulates people into doing its bidding. The Cetra are kind of like Zeal. It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am not bothered by the font in any way and I guess that makes me a big weirdo. Seems perfectly legible on a big rear end 1440p monitor. :shrug:

Anything is better than the Times New Roman PSP releases lol

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

Can anyone think of an FF party member (from any mainline FF) who could reasonably be classified as a Red Mage?

I feel like naming my FF1 party after other FF characters and so far I've got Cecil (Warrior), Locke (Thief), and Garnet (White Mage). But I can't think of anyone who'd really count as a Red Mage.
Terra and Celes from 6? Terra at the very least learns both curative and offensive magic naturally and can wield bladed weapons. Celes seems maybe more like a Mystic Knight/Spell Fencer esque archetype, but Terra definitely fits.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Unrelated to the current conversation, but is FF7’s Jenova just a Lavos? Extraterrestrial being that crashes onto a planet and manipulates people into doing its bidding. The Cetra are kind of like Zeal. It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

Chrono Trigger and FF7 came out of the same brainstorming session, so it's no coincidence they share plot elements iirc

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Harrow posted:

:yeah:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Where is my FFX and FFXIII pixel art remasters???

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Barudak posted:

Where is my FFX and FFXIII pixel art remasters???

Not before the FF7 remake comes to PC.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
3's regular battle theme whips the most rear end in the series

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Senator Drinksalot posted:

FF3's soundtrack is honestly one of the best in the series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zil posted:

My PC can't run around the block, I need lower graphic fidelity options than what 3d rendering can provide

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DQXIS came with its own pixel remaster. Yuji Horii stays winning

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zil posted:

People keep saying the original FF7 has aged badly. I think that should be taken as a challenge to best, rather than a problem to solve.

NES FF7 demake. Faithfully NES FF, too; a randomly chosen stat does nothing, half a dozen spells are either broken or functional but useless, several areas in Midgar have enemies from near Rocket Town, Vincent is a direct upgrade over Barrett...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cleretic posted:

People keep saying the original FF7 has aged badly. I think that should be taken as a challenge to best, rather than a problem to solve.

NES FF7 demake. Faithfully NES FF, too; a randomly chosen stat does nothing, half a dozen spells are either broken or functional but useless, several areas in Midgar have enemies from near Rocket Town, Vincent is a direct upgrade over Barrett...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_(NES_video_game)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
TBF "a randomly chosen stat does nothing, half a dozen spells are either broken or functional but useless" describes the PS1/PC version of FF7 as well

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think the PC version of FF7 did fix the bug from the PS1 version where MDef on armor didn't work.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

univbee posted:

Also the power peninsula/power penis is no longer there. Seems they're trying to take out ways to power level all around.

those motherfuckers...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

hosed up Final Fantasy 2 erasure here.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A cute little feature I didn't notice before - you can select the map in the Bestiary and do a flyover of the world map and see general areas where monsters spawn, with ? for ones you haven't encountered yet.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

So for the marsh cave in FF1 remaster is it always 4 piscodemons in the treasure chest now that it's a monster in a box? My dumb rear end is doing a 4 white mage party and 4 of those is a bit uhhh... rough

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I have been having a lot of fun playing the FF1 remaster, and will probably pick up the collection if/when it shows up on PS4/5. I haven't even bothered with the font fix, as it doesn't look as terrible on a bigger screen as it does in screenshots, but I really do hope they patch something in so you can switch.

I am hopeful to see how FF6 ends up, as this could be the definitive version of that game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Red Red Blue posted:

So for the marsh cave in FF1 remaster is it always 4 piscodemons in the treasure chest now that it's a monster in a box? My dumb rear end is doing a 4 white mage party and 4 of those is a bit uhhh... rough

I believe this to always have been the case. I accidentally stepped off the tile and had to redo it myself.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I would be surprised if they changed it, considering in every other version it's been randomly between 2-4.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

This is cool as heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FF3 observations:

The Fat Chocobo and Sight spell are in the game despite being redundant. You have no inventory limit and the sight-spell merely shows you places you havent been to yet.

The musical composition is staggering.

You go through four airships in this game and trash two of them. I guess that's a good batting average to only lose half your rides.

It's odd how you get the Aga spells before the second set of jobs. A major decision V took was giving you all the jobs in the first third since none of them are direct upgrades to another.

I am so glad I dropped the 3D version 10 years ago and never picked it up again. What a waste of time.