Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Refund processed in full for Deluxe Trains. :toot::smith:

I feel bad, but it wasn't what was promised to the backers.

dwarf74 posted:

Oh wow those aren't even anywhere near "reddish"

On top of that you have this nonsense:

Infinitum posted:

Terraforming Mars, a game about terraforming another planet as we have trashed the poo poo out of ours.

Also Terraforming Mars: 200 individually bagged metal cubes for the Big Box.

Shameful.

Very glad I listened to Goon consensus on that one and didn't back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The bags were an honest mistake, but everything else is being more or less hand-waved. This box was handled by Stronghold Games for some reason, they've always been garbage and I've no idea why anyone does business with them.

It doesn't help their reputation either that the German publisher for TFM is an absolute assclown who absolutely has to go his own way with everything instead of participating in the multilanguage Kickstarters, and refuses to provide gaming stores with various goodies - you can only buy the better boards directly from him, for example.

At Spiel '18 or '19, he announced he'd be bringing "enough of the expansion for everyone" and was completely sold out after 3 hours or so. Dipshit.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Stronghold have always been a garbage publisher who take good designs, produce them in the shittest way possible and then apply a whacking great premium onto the pricing.

It was most obvious whenever they localised games available elsewhere for the US market. Calimala for example was easily available in Europe for a pretty reasonable price and then we all saw Stronghold get the rights and sell the exact same printing in the US for like 3x the RRP.

The new Eggertspiele edition of Great Western Trail is significantly nicer, seems to have dual layered player boards and is CHEAPER than the original.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Yeesh. I get that the realities of manufacture means that you're never going to get a real final product that looks as good as the render. But that poo poo is barely recognizable

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"We have one of the most popular games on the planet. Should we get 3D printed samples to show our backers?"
"Yeah nah"

CaptainApathyUK posted:

The new Eggertspiele edition of Great Western Trail is significantly nicer, seems to have dual layered player boards and is CHEAPER than the original.

I'm really looking forward to this release

2 new games in the franchise are also in the works.

Hoping the NZ version is dope. Oceania represent.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

The latest kickstarter from the folks who make the cats and dogs as D&D classes is winding down, and I just want everyone to take a moment and appreciate this magnificent motherfucker:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/russrmc/animal-adventures-the-faraway-sea

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Just paid shipping on the Early Ship options for the first three volumes of HexploreIt a few days ago. They're coming sooner than I expected, but with all of my boardgames in storage across the country right now, it'll be fun to do a deep dive on them and have something to play.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Tsilkani posted:

The latest kickstarter from the folks who make the cats and dogs as D&D classes is winding down, and I just want everyone to take a moment and appreciate this magnificent motherfucker:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/russrmc/animal-adventures-the-faraway-sea

Holy poo poo this looks amazing and I want to paint all of the toys

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Agrias120 posted:

Just paid shipping on the Early Ship options for the first three volumes of HexploreIt a few days ago. They're coming sooner than I expected, but with all of my boardgames in storage across the country right now, it'll be fun to do a deep dive on them and have something to play.

Have you seen something about when they're coming? I hadn't seen any notification on their expected ship date...

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Infinitum posted:

How it started

How it's going

The matte finish isn't even the worst part to me, it looks like they reduced the level of detail in the prints (Particularly the sides of the green train). I know that tends to happen with these miniature kickstarters, but... when you're just selling people dozens of copies of the same 5 models, I would've figured they'd do their best to deliver what their prototype's looked like. Even if you wanted to give these things a gloss varnish yourself, I think that would just highlight how gummy these look now.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 29, 2021

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Desfore posted:

The matte finish isn't even the worst part to me, it looks like they reduced the level of detail in the prints (Particularly the sides of the green train). I know that tends to happen with these miniature kickstarters, but... when you're just selling people dozens of copies of the same 5 models, I would've figured they'd do their best to deliver what their prototype's looked like. Even if you wanted to give these things a gloss varnish yourself, I think that would just highlight how gummy these look now.

Yeah, cancelled mine too. They just don't look very good.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

12 hour warning on Distilled. Will break the $500k mark, and everything about this looks solid.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paversongames/distilled

31 hour warning on On Mars: Alien Invasion - I'm backing for pledge manager access for the older games.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eaglegryphon/on-mars-alien-invasion

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Dunno if this has been posted before but Fat Magic is in their last couple days. If you're a sucker for food puns/conversions/items/magic/settings in games then give this a look.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hannaht/fat-magic-rpg-5e-campaign-setting/description

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Memnaelar posted:

Have you seen something about when they're coming? I hadn't seen any notification on their expected ship date...

In their latest update, they said it is looking like the first week of September if things go well (I'm sure they won't).

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Desfore posted:

Looks to me like they've even downgraded from the samples they sent Shut Up and Sit Down earlier this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiZ0vxptsiU
1.03.58 if the time stamp didn't work.

Captain Theron fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 30, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Regular KS project creator TMG have gone tits up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So result of the Pandemic, or stretching themselves too thin?

---------------------------------------------

Upcoming games I'm interested about :
Aug 3 - Arydia: The Paths We Dare Tread - KS Page - By the Xia: Legends of a Drift System dev, Cody Miller.
Aug 3 - Avatar RPG - KS Page - Agni Kai some motherfuckers :black101:
Aug 3 - Bug Council of Backyardia - KS Page - Very cute looking trick taking game.

Aug 10 - Flamecraft - KS Page

Ever see this art piece floating around the web? They made a game around it, with the same artist :3:

Aug 24th - The Gardens - Prelaunch page - I'll probably back this regardless as it's a tableau builder about the Sydney Botanical Gardens near where I live, and the artwork looks great. Plus it includes the mighty Bin Chicken

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Infinitum posted:

So result of the Pandemic, or stretching themselves too thin?

The latter. This has been building up for a while now. The rot probably started with Gentes Deluxified, but they were definitely strained by the time of Belfort Anniversary Edition which barely managed to deliver at all. Then a week or two ago they cancelled one big project entirely and began issuing refunds. The fact that they are able to do so indicates fairly strongly that they were using each project to cover the costs of the last one, and finally reached the point where they realised project N wasn't going to pay for project N-1.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm not super sold on Grinderbin's Mobile Market of Ridiculous Magic Items but there are at least a couple of funny ideas in there. Maybe worth a look if you like your generic fantasy a little silly?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

potatocubed posted:

I'm not super sold on Grinderbin's Mobile Market of Ridiculous Magic Items but there are at least a couple of funny ideas in there. Maybe worth a look if you like your generic fantasy a little silly?

This reminds me of the Steve Jackson Warehouse 23 random box thing, which surprisingly still exists.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dustbiters/dustbiters
- Tim Schafer promoting
- By a bunch of well known indie game devs

However they are asking for $36 AUD before shipping for 21 cards in a box.

Yeah nah.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Infinitum posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dustbiters/dustbiters
- Tim Schafer promoting
- By a bunch of well known indie game devs

However they are asking for $36 AUD before shipping for 21 cards in a box.

Yeah nah.

$27 in the U.S. which is still...I dunno. Button Shy's games (which are usually about 18 cards) go for $12, and they come in a cool plastic wallet thing instead of a box.

I guess it costing a little double of one of those isn't outrageous, but that plus $5 for shipping is a bit much. Give me a $20 version without the box and I'd think about it, you know?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

StarkRavingMad posted:

$27 in the U.S. which is still...I dunno. Button Shy's games (which are usually about 18 cards) go for $12, and they come in a cool plastic wallet thing instead of a box.

I guess it costing a little double of one of those isn't outrageous, but that plus $5 for shipping is a bit much. Give me a $20 version without the box and I'd think about it, you know?
I was thinking it really should have been a Button Shy level wallet game to be super cheap.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Also, the cards better be incredibly self-explanatory for such a cursory rulebook with no examples or additional context. I mean, Sprawlopolis has about the same number of 'pages' (it's on cards, but you know what I mean) but has way, way more words. That makes me think it's literally just moving and destroying. From what I can see of the stills, many do seem fairly simple, but it only takes one uncovered interaction to drag it all down.

Otherwise, it looks cool in a sort of Tom Bunk / Superjail sort of thing, which is pretty cool. More different looking games, please.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL, is it just me or is there something weird going on with this campaign?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frcreator/final-redemption-tcg/description

It looks like your standard amateurish-level KS that usually doesn't get funded, yet it raised like $240,000+ with 700 backers? And then it only has 48 comments in the comments section?
Something seems really fishy.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

JazzFlight posted:

It looks like your standard amateurish-level KS that usually doesn't get funded, yet it raised like $240,000+ with 700 backers? And then it only has 48 comments in the comments section?

I know TCG Kickstarter’s are rife with speculators looking to pump and dump limited run product, so it could be one of those deals.

There were shenanigans around Metazoo after Flesh and Blood went insane last year.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Nah yeah, you're right.

There's $151,205 USD if you add up the pledges.
There is $241,820 USD pledged total.

It is currently $25 USD shipping regardless of where you are - $17,525 for 701 backers

So there is $73,090 USD in 'additional funding' pledged that is unaccounted for.

Somethings fucky

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

It's being commented on at length in the BGG Worst Kickstarter Ever thread. It's fairly certain to move to the Controversial and Fraudulent Kickstarters geeklist soon enough, as the high end pledges keep dropping and refilling.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Infinitum posted:

Nah yeah, you're right.

It is currently $25 USD shipping regardless of where you are - $17,525 for 701 backers

So there is $73,090 USD in 'additional funding' pledged that is unaccounted for.

Somethings fucky

Add-ons? :shrug:

It looks like he hired a company to do that KS for him. There's no way the guy who took a picture where his head is the lower third of the frame and you can see he's sitting on his couch did all that. Could be that they have a good Marketing department.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Infinitum posted:

Nah yeah, you're right.

Somethings fucky

this is like the boardgame kickstarter version of some shady-rear end shitcoin that suddenly spiked from pennies to dollars

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of terrible kickstarters

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bogue/meepology-game-your-personality
It's OKCupid, but you match with your ~board game personality traits~ that will recommend you new games.

Let me show you how it works:
1.) I love worker placement games!
2.) I got to BGG and filter for worker placement games! https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2082/worker-placement
3.) I take a look at the Meepology Kickstarter page and close the tab!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

JazzFlight posted:

All the comments have that air of culty salesmen shenanigans. “Yes! Locked in for the $100 pledge with 20 add-ons! So pumped!” Like, who talks like that?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Arydia is live.

This is a big BIG box with a big rear end price tag..
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/faroffgames/arydia-the-paths-we-dare-tread

$258 AUD for the all in pledge
:captainpop:

Looks like a looooot of game in this though.
50+ pre-painted miniatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNB1tw94DLk

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Arydia is live.

Arydia sounds like it should be treated with antibiotics.

Also "From the team that brought you Xia" isn't the slam dunk they think it is.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 3, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

To be fair, regardless of what you think of Xia, the production quality was on point.

Also to be fair, I am likely to sell my copy of Xia.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I only had a brief look but there's also nothing to indicate any previous hype or buildup. No quotes or reviews?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

This isn't tremendously weird or suspicious.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol a totally fine and normal post :tif:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

This isn't tremendously weird or suspicious.

Lol, I didn’t know Trump was making KS. “People say to me all the time ‘thank you for doing this’.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of terrible kickstarters

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bogue/meepology-game-your-personality
It's OKCupid, but you match with your ~board game personality traits~ that will recommend you new games.

Let me show you how it works:
1.) I love worker placement games!
2.) I got to BGG and filter for worker placement games! https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2082/worker-placement
3.) I take a look at the Meepology Kickstarter page and close the tab!

Oh please let me pay $14 for the privilege of letting you make money off affiliate links!