Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Kind of a weird case here. I have come into a 2009ish plastic MacBook, donated for repurposing however makes sense.

When I turn it on, I get a login screen. If I hold cmd+r I get the same login screen. Same with all the other startup key combinations.

I imagine I could pull the hard drive and wipe it and then do internet recovery, but is that my only option at this point?

I got the password so to follow up on this, the MacBook is from 2011 and stuck on 10.6, I think. I wasn’t getting to the restore utility because there isn’t one!

It’s also the core 2 duo 2.1ghz model so roughly 30% as powerful as an RPi 4 while consuming >10x the electricity. Not really sufficient for anything I was going to use it for. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

tuyop posted:

I got the password so to follow up on this, the MacBook is from 2011 and stuck on 10.6, I think. I wasn’t getting to the restore utility because there isn’t one!

It’s also the core 2 duo 2.1ghz model so roughly 30% as powerful as an RPi 4 while consuming >10x the electricity. Not really sufficient for anything I was going to use it for. :(

According to the always accurate Wikipedia, the 2.1 GHz MacBook was 2008.

…I think it’s time to put that thing out to pasture.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah, 15 years is an effective maximum for apple hardware, even with innovative hacks and expensive hardware upgrades

*glances at MP 3,1*

M2, M2, M2, M2....iMac? :shobon:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Time just passes ridiculously quickly at the moment, I was wondering why my late-2013 MacBook Pro was so sluggish just browsing websites since "it's only a few years old and has an SSD, what's that about?", and it turned out it was 7 years old, so I sold it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'm running a Late 2013 rMBP with only 8 GB of RAM with the latest Monterey beta and it does so somewhat decently, but try to run more than 3 HTTP video streams and it falls flat on its face.

The caveat is that it's running with a Samsung aftermarket NVMe SSD, not an Apple AHCI SSD, and the Monterey was a wipe and clean install..

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Binary Badger posted:

I'm running a Late 2013 rMBP with only 8 GB of RAM with the latest Monterey beta and it does so somewhat decently, but try to run more than 3 HTTP video streams and it falls flat on its face.

The caveat is that it's running with a Samsung aftermarket NVMe SSD, not an Apple AHCI SSD, and the Monterey was a wipe and clean install..

drat, I have a 2014 that I thought had dropped out of upgrade support. Did you need some tricks to get that working?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I have a 2013 and youtube is the most demanding thing it does, and wow it is demanding because of the dumb codec that they use

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The only reason I'm still using a 2013 is that the 16" MBP hasn't been updated yet.

It still works fine for the things I use it for, but every day around 4:30-5pm the fans turn into jet engines.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Chalupa Joe posted:

The only reason I'm still using a 2013 is that the 16" MBP hasn't been updated yet.

It still works fine for the things I use it for, but every day around 4:30-5pm the fans turn into jet engines.

I, too, am waiting for a new 17"ish MBP with a meaningful port selection, MagSafe, and a good keyboard.

I hear it's just around the corner.

(I'm using a fully souped up Late 2014, myself.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

commie kong posted:

drat, I have a 2014 that I thought had dropped out of upgrade support. Did you need some tricks to get that working?

I used this:

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher

Start here:

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/START.html

Fairly simple and straightforward, just have Mojave or later installed, apply the patcher, reboot, then run the macOS installer that you couldn't before.

I use an earlier version of Open Core on my MacPro 5,1 to give it the ability to use the Radeon 580's GPU for video acceleration (most notably the ability to run Netflix, something that Apple seems to have deliberately gelded from Mojave and the 5,1) and a boot screen with my third party 580.

Haven't tried to install Big Sur on my 5,1 yet, but will relish doing so on a Mac Mini 2012 I picked up at a Goodwill..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 29, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Oh awesome, thank you! 11,3 isn't listed yet but that's fine. I'm in no hurry, but it's great to know there's an option.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I was rockin’ a 2011 iMac until whenever it was the new iMac arrived. Honestly the old one was still doing a fair job for all I use it for, and I miss the larger screen.

But there’s something to be said for going from a ten-year old Mac to a new one.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah I could really use a new iMac but I want a 27" screen

Although honestly I'd love to get a 16" Apple Silicon MBP and two of the 'cheaper' monitors that they're apparently working on

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i start new job late august. im a web dev: couple external monitors, zoom chats, intellij, vscode, a zillion browser tabs open, etc.

new boss asked if i was 13" m1 or 16" intel. i have a 16" intel at my current job and it works fine but i really want an excuse to try out the m1 stuff. i did read 13" m1 doesnt support external monitors out of the box and you have to do some software workaround.

im tempted to ask if they have an old machine i can use until the m1x macbook pros come out in sept or oct. any thoughts on which is the better machine for me?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
M1 Airs and 13 inch MBPs only support one external monitor. If you need more than one, stick with Intel. The M1X/M2/whatever 14/16 inchers probably won't be out until Nov/Dec at this rate.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

smax posted:

According to the always accurate Wikipedia, the 2.1 GHz MacBook was 2008.

…I think it’s time to put that thing out to pasture.

I was thinking of maybe putting Debian and a lightweight DE on it so it could go to Cuba as a movie machine, but it uses a ton of electricity and luggage weight for very mediocre performance and I’m not sure how they’d deal with Linux there.

Like in the same luggage space you could fit 3-5 raspberry pi’s with trackpad keyboards and screens if you ignore the Linux challenges.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

barkbell posted:

i start new job late august. im a web dev: couple external monitors, zoom chats, intellij, vscode, a zillion browser tabs open, etc.

new boss asked if i was 13" m1 or 16" intel. i have a 16" intel at my current job and it works fine but i really want an excuse to try out the m1 stuff. i did read 13" m1 doesnt support external monitors out of the box and you have to do some software workaround.

im tempted to ask if they have an old machine i can use until the m1x macbook pros come out in sept or oct. any thoughts on which is the better machine for me?

If you do any kind of devopsy/cloud toucher stuff and need x86 VMs then don't go with the M1.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Matt Zerella posted:

If you do any kind of devopsy/cloud toucher stuff and need x86 VMs then don't go with the M1.

oh ya good call

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to save an iMessage conversation as a pdf. Is there any way to do that without buying a program like PhoneView?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

I'd like to save an iMessage conversation as a pdf. Is there any way to do that without buying a program like PhoneView?
File -> Print -> PDF (button/menu in Print dialog) in Messages?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I know this is broad, but my 2019 16" MBP has been shutting down unexpectedly at least once or twice a week lately. I'd hoped updating to the latest OS patch would stop it, but it just happened sometime last night after updating on Thursday. It's always when it's idle, and everything comes back up just as I left it after startup but I'd like to keep it from happening, if I can. Anyone else run into this? Anything I can look for in the problem report data?

I also periodically have issues with it recognizing my external display, which is always plugged in (through that CalDigit dock) and have to reboot. Which seems common and I wish Apple would fix it.

Above all I hate that my 4 year old work laptop with a bunch of security software always running seems to handle external displays, docking, and "staying on for weeks at a time" better than the most expensive computer I've ever purchased

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I know this is broad, but my 2019 16" MBP has been shutting down unexpectedly at least once or twice a week lately. I'd hoped updating to the latest OS patch would stop it, but it just happened sometime last night after updating on Thursday. It's always when it's idle, and everything comes back up just as I left it after startup but I'd like to keep it from happening, if I can. Anyone else run into this? Anything I can look for in the problem report data?

I also periodically have issues with it recognizing my external display, which is always plugged in (through that CalDigit dock) and have to reboot. Which seems common and I wish Apple would fix it.

Above all I hate that my 4 year old work laptop with a bunch of security software always running seems to handle external displays, docking, and "staying on for weeks at a time" better than the most expensive computer I've ever purchased

You can check the logs and get the exact shutdown reason

https://georgegarside.com/blog/macos/shutdown-causes/

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Aside from checking logs, if you’re leaving it plugged into a dock that is a common culprit. Power management and docks (I’ve tried multiple) don’t seem to play nice.

Mine used to do that and I got tired of it so I stopped using the dock. I just use the Apple dongle and life is much happier.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

spaced ninja posted:

If no reason is given at all, the machine may be overheating, or thinks it is. In that case, I'd recommend fan control software to keep its fans more active regularly.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’ve also had issues in the past were if I leave my MBP unplugged and I have some sort of dev environment like Docker or Homestead running when I close the lid it would crash the machine eventually overnight or the next day. Would constantly have to reboot when I opened the lid again.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

spaced ninja posted:

Thanks, gonna bookmark this.

Most recent shutdown reason is 5 which is a clean shutdown, so I dunno. Guess I'll blame the dock. Not ready to part with it yet, the one cable for everything is so nice :(

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Quackles posted:

I, too, am waiting for a new 17"ish MBP with a meaningful port selection, MagSafe, and a good keyboard.

I hear it's just around the corner.

(I'm using a fully souped up Late 2014, myself.)

I am also waiting for the new model, I'm on a mid 2014. It's mostly fine for what I do but then I try and do some things and I forget how slow it actually is, like run Photoshop or anything modern.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The leaked schematics say we're getting three TB3 ports and a dedicated HDMI 2.x port like the old 2013-2015 machines and another flavor of MagSafe so the omission of the fourth port will be mitigated somewhat.. dunno why only 3 ports unless they cannibalized the fourth port for HDMI and power..

Apple will likely release a 16" inch M1X, doubtful they'd ever revisit the 17 inchers from 2011

I replaced the Apple SSD with an NVMe drive and adapter on my low-end iGPU-only Mid-2014 15" but didn't do much good, read speeds went from ~1200-1300 MB/sec to near 1500 MB/sec, if it were a Mid-2015 I'd be able to get twice that..

I just hope the 10 core (8 high speed/2 efficiency) CPUs give us some extra oomph over the first gen 8 cores..

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Speaking of which, has there been any talk about or indication of there being any possibility of still feeding these new magsafe-equipped macs power via TB3?

As sad as the loss of magsafe was, the ecosystem of TB3-docking has blown up quite spectacularly and it would be a bit sad to suddenly have to go back into the cable tangle era whenever you aren't on the road.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Binary Badger posted:

The leaked schematics say we're getting three TB3 ports and a dedicated HDMI 2.x port like the old 2013-2015 machines and another flavor of MagSafe so the omission of the fourth port will be mitigated somewhat.. dunno why only 3 ports unless they cannibalized the fourth port for HDMI and power..

Will there be a headphone jack?

This is a serious question.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

I just hope the 10 core (8 high speed/2 efficiency) CPUs give us some extra oomph over the first gen 8 cores..

The recent rumors of a 10 core config are quite weird IMO, and they seem likely to be made-up clickbait.

Reasoning: We know from die photos that the M1's E cluster (a block consisting of four E cores plus their shared L2 cache) occupies about 1/4 the area of the P cluster (same concept but for the Performance cores). So, they'd only gain back enough die area for half a P core by deleting two E cores and half the E cluster cache. That's not a great return, so why would they do it?

Around a year ago, there was one rumor source which accurately predicted M1's 4P+4E configuration and (iirc) leaked what turned out to be accurate codenames. They also named a future 8P+4E config. If I was gonna bet, that's the config I'd put my money on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Whenever the bigger MacBook Pros come, would it be a wise decision to go to the Apple Store, trade in my M1 MacBook Air, and pick up the similarly spec'd MBP 16" or whatever? I'm new to MacOS and not sure how good MBA is vs MBP when I use the MBA while it's connected to a 4K monitor with BT keyboard and trackpad 2.

Not sure how good the fans would be but I noticed it doesn't exactly like having a multihour long Zoom going with mic/cam, screen recording, and Docker at the same time as it got decently warm. I really wish Zoom wasn't used in my university...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Whenever the bigger MacBook Pros come, would it be a wise decision to go to the Apple Store, trade in my M1 MacBook Air, and pick up the similarly spec'd MBP 16" or whatever? I'm new to MacOS and not sure how good MBA is vs MBP when I use the MBA while it's connected to a 4K monitor with BT keyboard and trackpad 2.

MacBook Airs are supposed to be optimized for weight and battery life above all else; the Pro line is meant to be optimized for performance, which is why the M1 Air has no fans and the M1 13-inch 2-port MacBook Pro does.

When the M1 14-inch and 16 inch Pros come out, it's implied those will have better, faster CPUs at the expense of somewhat shorter battery life.

As to whether or not it's a wise decision to trade in the Air for a Pro, you should be asking yourself whether performance or portability / battery life matter to you more.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

MacBook Airs are supposed to be optimized for weight and battery life above all else; the Pro line is meant to be optimized for performance, which is why the M1 Air has no fans and the M1 13-inch 2-port MacBook Pro does.

When the M1 14-inch and 16 inch Pros come out, it's implied those will have better, faster CPUs at the expense of somewhat shorter battery life.

As to whether or not it's a wise decision to trade in the Air for a Pro, you should be asking yourself whether performance or portability / battery life matter to you more.

Hmm.. I think, thanks to the intensive stuff like Docker, many Zoom calls, and screen recording at the same time, I'll swap the Air for a Pro sometime. I probably won't be using the Touch Bar that much anyway and a larger screen is always welcome.

Thanks! :)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, if you're finding that your current workload / operating suite is experiencing slowdowns and glitches, it would be a good idea to upgrade to something beefier.

I had a Touch Bar Air (Intel) for a few months and I don't think I ever used the TB except to try some cute hacks with it.

Also, the newer Mx machines will have more powerful GPUs that should make it easier to run larger screens.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BobHoward posted:

The recent rumors of a 10 core config are quite weird IMO, and they seem likely to be made-up clickbait.

Reasoning: We know from die photos that the M1's E cluster (a block consisting of four E cores plus their shared L2 cache) occupies about 1/4 the area of the P cluster (same concept but for the Performance cores). So, they'd only gain back enough die area for half a P core by deleting two E cores and half the E cluster cache. That's not a great return, so why would they do it?

Around a year ago, there was one rumor source which accurately predicted M1's 4P+4E configuration and (iirc) leaked what turned out to be accurate codenames. They also named a future 8P+4E config. If I was gonna bet, that's the config I'd put my money on.
That's assuming they stick with the same cores, although the proportions might be similar with newer cores anyway...barring beefing up the efficiency cores further. They were already pretty advanced vs other "little" cores to begin with iirc, perhaps they continue that whatever trade offs are worth it.

In any case, part of the 8+2 rumor was that it sounded like it'd be used in a 2-4x multi die/package setup for a Mac Pro, in which case it'd become 16+4 or 32+8. Maybe use that freed up die space for connecting logic, or any other random rear end compute functions they could fill the space with, if deemed a better use of the space when scaled up to multiple dies.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not sure how good the fans would be but I noticed it doesn't exactly like having a multihour long Zoom going with mic/cam, screen recording, and Docker at the same time as it got decently warm. I really wish Zoom wasn't used in my university...

Just curious about your stated workload, specifically the screen recording…

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ihafarm posted:

Just curious about your stated workload, specifically the screen recording…

It's for IT Infrastructure class at my university. The professor does Zoom calls, requires the camera and mic be on and does recordings but refuses to make them available for download in any fashion so I have to save them myself because the internet and power can be spotty here. Docker is a new thing that started being needed as of a few weeks ago and the MBA M1 doesn't seem to like Docker or Zoom..but I hate Zoom too so it's not alone.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's for IT Infrastructure class at my university. The professor does Zoom calls, requires the camera and mic be on and does recordings but refuses to make them available for download in any fashion so I have to save them myself because the internet and power can be spotty here. Docker is a new thing that started being needed as of a few weeks ago and the MBA M1 doesn't seem to like Docker or Zoom..but I hate Zoom too so it's not alone.

Wife’s M1 MBA hated Zoom initially and then she managed to get some kind of update, I think, that was M1 compatible?

My M1 MBP was fine with Zoom out the box, however, so you can maybe rest easy there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

If your prof wasn't such an rear end in a top hat i would suggest to use NDI to offload the audio & video to another recorder but it will make a very evident popup that will startle the professor.