Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Eediot Jedi posted:

oof

I don't mean this as vector for VIC Vs NSW chat but anyone remember what compliance rates they expected from VIC to beat the original strain?

i don't remember a number or compliance rate being spoken about. i know there was some talk of compliance at the beginning, but i don't remember it being portrayed as big as it is in nsw. though my memory could be wrong. last year was weird

but i dont remember dan getting angry every day nor a cop standing up at the same presser and listing off all the type of infringements they were handing out whilst half erect. what they did do was finally work out that it was the casuals and others in insecure work that were not getting tested nor staying home when they felt unwell. so they put in payments to support those people to stay home in those situations. of course there were a bunch of other controls in place at the same time so you can't easily pin it on one single factor, but considering the spread (back then and now) is occurring in industries and workplaces that use a lot of casuals it's quite an obvious gap.

so i feel that relying on compliance and enforcement alone is not really a solution that's going to deliver quickly, if at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hambeet posted:

what they did do was finally work out that it was the casuals and others in insecure work that were not getting tested nor staying home when they felt unwell. so they put in payments to support those people to stay home in those situations. of course there were a bunch of other controls in place at the same time so you can't easily pin it on one single factor, but considering the spread (back then and now) is occurring in industries and workplaces that use a lot of casuals it's quite an obvious gap.

One of the things I thought was an issue with this - and I don't think it was ever addressed or solved - was that it's ignorant of the fact that it's not just about lost wages for casual, insecure workers. It's all well and good for the government to comp your paycheque for a fortnight, but you might then find you're not being given shifts again on the other side of that.

Anyway this is way more catastrophic than the Victoria situation, we may have hit 700+ at one point but at least we started to see numbers turn around a couple of incubation periods later. NSW is now on more than a month and the numbers are just going up and up. Now is the time to throw everything you have at it: cash handouts for individuals, huge fines for businesses flouting restrictions, night curfew, 5km radius for the entire city, loving everything.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

freebooter posted:

One of the things I thought was an issue with this - and I don't think it was ever addressed or solved - was that it's ignorant of the fact that it's not just about lost wages for casual, insecure workers. It's all well and good for the government to comp your paycheque for a fortnight, but you might then find you're not being given shifts again on the other side of that.

maybe, but we don't really know if it was issue either. i do recall seeing something about it being really hard to find and train new staff mid pandemic in the abattoirs, cold storage, logistics, etc

anecdotally i know (2nd or 3rd degree removed) people at the 2x bertocchi outbreaks and none of the casuals there lost their jobs, even though management are generally assholes and tried to hide from staff that there had been confirmed cases on the other shift.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, I don't know how much it was an issue, plus there's also the fact that it's way harder to enforce than just handing out the cash, it was just something that struck me back when they announced it.

Is the government giving people in the affected LGAs at least some level of financial support now or what? I can't keep up with the daily changes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

freebooter posted:

Anyway this is way more catastrophic than the Victoria situation, we may have hit 700+ at one point but at least we started to see numbers turn around a couple of incubation periods later. NSW is now on more than a month and the numbers are just going up and up. Now is the time to throw everything you have at it: cash handouts for individuals, huge fines for businesses flouting restrictions, night curfew, 5km radius for the entire city, loving everything.

Gonzo is in bed with the business sector. She won't do any more than the bare minimum required at the time to keep businesses running.

We had someone infectious in our office for two whole weeks and they had people back at work after a day of cleaning.

This is business first health and safety third.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
As a reminder, since it seems a billion years ago

Victoria returned to stage 3 lockdown in specified postcodes on 30 June 2020

This was expanded to metropolitan Melbourne (and Mitchell Shire LGA which is periurban) on 7 July

Mandatory masks outside the home began for Melbourne on 19 July

We hit 723 new cases on 30 July 2020 and 725 on 5 August

Stage 4 restrictions for Melbourne began on 2 August, as well as mask mandates across the state

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Laserface posted:

Gonzo is in bed with the business sector. She won't do any more than the bare minimum required at the time to keep businesses running.

We had someone infectious in our office for two whole weeks and they had people back at work after a day of cleaning.

This is business first health and safety third.

you'd think closing for a day to clean every now and then would be more costly than missing one or two staff for a couple of days or at worst a week or so?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

you'd think a prolonged lockdown would be worse for business than a couple of uppity casuals not having to be your wage slaves for a couple of days or at worst a week or so?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hambeet posted:

i don't remember a number or compliance rate being spoken about. i know there was some talk of compliance at the beginning, but i don't remember it being portrayed as big as it is in nsw. though my memory could be wrong. last year was weird

but i dont remember dan getting angry every day nor a cop standing up at the same presser and listing off all the type of infringements they were handing out whilst half erect. what they did do was finally work out that it was the casuals and others in insecure work that were not getting tested nor staying home when they felt unwell. so they put in payments to support those people to stay home in those situations. of course there were a bunch of other controls in place at the same time so you can't easily pin it on one single factor, but considering the spread (back then and now) is occurring in industries and workplaces that use a lot of casuals it's quite an obvious gap.

so i feel that relying on compliance and enforcement alone is not really a solution that's going to deliver quickly, if at all.

NSW Cops: The beatings will continue until transmission rates improve.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

NSW cop: Excuse me young man, step over here if you will, I just need to inspect your gooch for vaccine track marks

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hambeet posted:

you'd think a prolonged lockdown would be worse for business than a couple of uppity casuals not having to be your wage slaves for a couple of days or at worst a week or so?

Because companies are woefully understaffed. Even one person calling out sick can throw everything upside down because there is literally no one else to come in to work to cover for them.

Kanban of human misery.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I know for one we are working on zero bench staff, are paying overtime to get work done on weekends and keep getting deadlines rushed for covid related work.

Shits crazy in IT land

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Elon just casually covering northern Geelong in toxic smoke

noice

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

QLD getting a lockdown starting at 4pm.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Just one question, did it escape hotel quarantine or leak from NSW?

At least they're going into a snap lockdown instead of sitting on their hands and waiting to see what happens first.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Konomex posted:

Just one question, did it escape hotel quarantine or leak from NSW?

At least they're going into a snap lockdown instead of sitting on their hands and waiting to see what happens first.
A student at a high school in the inner south had it and her family, her tutor and someone else got it. The deputy premier said it was implement quickly since it is the delta variant.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It's another quarantine leak, possibly hospital related this time. Linked to cases early July.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Good thing we never built those quarantine facilitblerggghhh *blood shoots out of lungs*

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

hooman posted:

Good thing we never built those quarantine facilitblerggghhh *blood shoots out of lungs*

The Juice Media: Honest Government Ad | Hotel Quarantine & Vaccines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_0zFEtPbiA

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

The Juice Media: Honest Government Ad | Hotel Quarantine & Vaccines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_0zFEtPbiA

While I do like the honest government ads Juice Media do, I miss their "rap news".

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

While I do like the honest government ads Juice Media do, I miss their "rap news".

was it the same people? I know its the same name but the BtS they did a few months back showing how they make the ads suggests they have only ever done these.

Rational Fear are good too

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/aug/01/sky-news-australia-banned-from-youtube-for-seven-days-over-covid-misinformation

Sky got banned from YouTube for a week

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Wow, I thought for a minute they might have suffered some consequences there!

quote:

Sky News Australia has been banned from uploading content to YouTube for seven days

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

This is their second strike within 90 days, 1 more strike for anti-covid videos and they lose the account entirely.

Here's hoping.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/GavinCoote/status/1421647344827654149

Going in and out of lockdown is bad. I know I sure did hate coming out of lockdown in Victoria this week - so inconsistent. Wish I lived in NSW.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If you're in lockdown forever you never have to go into or out of lockdown again! Can't wait to see what slogan Scotty from Marketing comes up with for this.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Lol other states are also building dedicated quarantine facilities where all this poo poo comes from. Nsw is hosed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As an introvert with deep social trauma I say let's hear out this 'never go outside again' agenda

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

QLD lockdown has been extended to Sunday 4pm.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Budzilla posted:

QLD lockdown has been extended to Sunday 4pm.

I'm more worried about missing out on my annual, "Ekka Dagwood Dog"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would rather lose a week here or there than what is very likely going to be an entire 4-6 months of my life during my favourite time of the year to do things you fuckin idiot Gladys.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

What's that meme? Celebrating Day 366 of our 1 Week Lockdown. It's going to be very interesting what happens if Queensland ends their lockdown within a week or 2 and NSW is still just trudging along with cases in the community in the hundreds.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What do you mean, "if"?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Have a few more protests in NSW, really lengthen that timeframe

Best of luck to the Queenslanders, hopefully the quick lockdown does the trick

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

What's that meme? Celebrating Day 366 of our 1 Week Lockdown. It's going to be very interesting what happens if Queensland ends their lockdown within a week or 2 and NSW is still just trudging along with cases in the community in the hundreds.

It's infrastructure lockdown week!

Gladys posted:

I think our priority is getting people back to school and back to work. Can I make that very clear. There is merit in us considering how quickly we can get people back to school and work. They are the priorities of the government.
Jesus, talk about telling on yourself :killing:

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 2, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Konomex posted:

Nobody in NSW's government seemed to notice or care when Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide all quickly exited their short-sharp lockdowns (all caused by NSW leaking virus everywhere) so I doubt fourth time will be the charm.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Powerful

https://twitter.com/AlboMP/status/1420916256480235522

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What a loving limp dick nothing statement

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Get on the blower and sort it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

call pferteen pferty pferty two