Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I got to the Crystal Tower in IIID, got part way up and died, saw I got sent right back to the start of the tower and haven't played it since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Unrelated to the current conversation, but is FF7’s Jenova just a Lavos? Extraterrestrial being that crashes onto a planet and manipulates people into doing its bidding. The Cetra are kind of like Zeal. It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

Sort of. More like John Carpenters The Thing if it was also Lavos, since Jenova can impersonate and assimilate others with her cells unlike Lavos.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Draga posted:

I got to the Crystal Tower in IIID, got part way up and died, saw I got sent right back to the start of the tower and haven't played it since

Another reason I lost my enthusiasm for the game - it is way too loving short.

To my mind, it seems much, much shorter than even FF2 so this isn't just a "it's a NES game" thing

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m playing FF1 on iPad, and tap mode for movement is pretty nifty

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So is everyone just playing FF1 because they get to kill Chaos?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
As far as other version of the games, how are the psp versions of 2 and 3?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

So is everyone just playing FF1 because they get to kill Chaos?

Killing Chaos isn’t a task, it’s a state of mind.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

mandatory lesbian posted:

This is cool as heck

I'm always fascinated by game "demakes" but especially ones as large in scope Final Fantasy so yeah this is awesome

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I really want FF7 remake demade into PS1 FF7 but I'll settle for SNES FF7/RPG Maker.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Harrow posted:

Can anyone think of an FF party member (from any mainline FF) who could reasonably be classified as a Red Mage?

I feel like naming my FF1 party after other FF characters and so far I've got Cecil (Warrior), Locke (Thief), and Garnet (White Mage). But I can't think of anyone who'd really count as a Red Mage.

Stretching a bit outside of mainline, but FF dimensions gave us Elgo, FF2's bonus content sets up Scott as being a Red Mage type, and FF11 has Rainemard as a somewhat plot important Red Mage. It's always been a little bit of a bummer that the mainline series never really has any notable main character "identifying" as a red mage though- so many plot lines revolve around characters identifying as and what it means to be a dark knight, a paladin, a dragoon, a white/black mage, a thieftreasure hunter, etc. It feels like a part of the early series lore that hasn't been explored much. The little we've gotten from 11 and dimensions generally casts them as prophets, duelists, cocky gung-ho adventurers, or royal guardsmen (I haven't played 14 so not sure what their deal is there but it sounds like they got some neat lore in that world)

I sort of wonder if the original plan for Baigan in 4 was to have him actually join and be classified as a red mage based on his Amano design

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Elgo’s great because he splits into two halves, one is the main villain and the other is Tuxedo Mask

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

Elgo’s great because he splits into two halves, one is the main villain and the other is Tuxedo Mask

It's been so long since I've played FFD that I forgot about that plot point but that was a neat way to play off the dual nature of red mages

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cleretic posted:

I think it comes from the fact that the original release is universally agreed on as broken and wrong. It's not even like the original Pokemon where the game will at least mostly work as intended if you play it normally and the bugs only get bad in edge cases;

Bad edge cases like using psychic pokemon in general or anything with high Special?

Red/Blue's not as buggy as FF1 but its balance is extremely broken.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Unrelated to the current conversation, but is FF7’s Jenova just a Lavos? Extraterrestrial being that crashes onto a planet and manipulates people into doing its bidding. The Cetra are kind of like Zeal. It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

Yes.

Zerilan posted:

As far as other version of the games, how are the psp versions of 2 and 3?

FF2's PSP version is the best one, though it's still FF2.

There isn't a PSP version of 3.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
The PSP has the 3D FFIII.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Do FF1, FF2, or FF3 have hidden items like checking out a statue or something? What about hidden passageways?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

poe meater posted:

Do FF1, FF2, or FF3 have hidden items like checking out a statue or something? What about hidden passageways?

FFIII absolutely does, I don’t remember for the first two. I don’t think so, though

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

2 does, 1 doesn't IIRC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've almost beaten FF1 with a stock Fighter/Thief/WhMg/BlMg promoted party AMA.

Worth noting is that on the secret map you can see how many chests you got for a specific area, so if you're going for the "all treasure chests" cheevo you can narrow down where you might have missed stuff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bad edge cases like using psychic pokemon in general or anything with high Special?

Red/Blue's not as buggy as FF1 but its balance is extremely broken.

I mean, that's not buggy so much as bad design. Everything there is working as intended, it just probably shoudn't have been intended that way. That bad design's also counterbalanced by the fact Pokemon is (at least ostensibly) a very parallel game; the enemies can use that lopsided design just as much as you, so the single-player at least theoretically balances out.

(It should be noted FFI also has real bad game design beyond its bugs; off the top of my head, AMUT is a completely functional spell with no use case since a single weak enemy casts Mute. Also I'm pretty sure the Master Monk class change is bad by design.)

Although even that sort of explains why FFI gets such wildly different rebalances while something like Pokemon doesn't. Everyone can agree that the original Pokemon is good, but has a couple extremely glaring problems, so anyone trying to recapture that knows the big mistake to avoid. But FFI kinda dies a death by a thousand cuts; no problem is as glaring as gen 1 Psychic dominance, which means that ideas for how to improve it scatter so much wider and end up so varied.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I went ahead and got the whole bundle since I'm enjoying I and III so much. Very pleasantly surprised by these remakes. The lack of GBA/PSP content is a bit of a shame but only a bit, the bonus dungeons/bosses were never amazing and I'm sure modders will come up with some cool stuff to make up for that.

IV is gonna be a bit interesting since I've only ever really played the 3D version. The super primitive version of ATB that the SNES and GBA versions used turned me away from those and I never got the PSP version.
I really like IV3D, it's focused on being challenging but not in a super grindy way like III, it emphasizes strategy a lot more and is very tightly designed. It'll be cool to try out a more faithful remake though, and the music alone is gonna be worth the price of admission tbqh.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I do wish the CRT filter was a bit different. It blurs everything a bit too much, but also the "scanlines" seem really thick, it's extremely noticeable anytime there's a solid-colored background.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I know I’m a crazy person but I always felt FF4 SNES was more strategic than the DS version; enemies hit like bulldozers in the latter so it’s definitely the harder version, but the DS version was made by newer people so they made the pretty dumb mistake of making white magic status ailment proc rates run off Wisdom which makes half your ailments really inconsistent to land. Plus Edge can’t equip elemental claws, which is kinda baffling cause that just plain dumbs down the game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cleretic posted:

I mean, that's not buggy so much as bad design. Everything there is working as intended, it just probably shoudn't have been intended that way.

Nah Gen I has quite a few bugs, things like Focus Energy actually decreasing your crit rate instead of increasing it like the move claims to do, and Psychic types being completely immune to Ghost type moves despite the game telling you that Psychic is weak against Ghost.

You're right though that stuff like Ghost types also being part Poison, Ghost only having one damaging move, Psychic's only weakness (Bug) only having two weak damaging moves that are mostly on part Poison types aside from Jolteon, all those things are bad design and even if Ghost was super effective against Psychic like it was supposed to be it wouldn't really matter. And as you said, for Gen I Pokemon you could abuse stuff like critical hits being based on speed, and the AI using Focus Energy was always great for you, so it kind of all worked out since even if the game had issues it affected your opponents too (and the AI wasn't able to exploit some beneficial glitches that the player could).

So yeah overall I'd say that Gen I Pokemon is a lot less "broken" than NES FFI if only because NES FFI is broken in a way that's pretty unfair to the player.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

pretty soft girl posted:

Stretching a bit outside of mainline, but FF dimensions gave us Elgo, FF2's bonus content sets up Scott as being a Red Mage type, and FF11 has Rainemard as a somewhat plot important Red Mage. It's always been a little bit of a bummer that the mainline series never really has any notable main character "identifying" as a red mage though- so many plot lines revolve around characters identifying as and what it means to be a dark knight, a paladin, a dragoon, a white/black mage, a thieftreasure hunter, etc. It feels like a part of the early series lore that hasn't been explored much. The little we've gotten from 11 and dimensions generally casts them as prophets, duelists, cocky gung-ho adventurers, or royal guardsmen (I haven't played 14 so not sure what their deal is there but it sounds like they got some neat lore in that world)

I sort of wonder if the original plan for Baigan in 4 was to have him actually join and be classified as a red mage based on his Amano design

This is Alisaile erasure, the best red mage (she's in 14 which you haven't played)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Last Celebration posted:

I know I’m a crazy person but I always felt FF4 SNES was more strategic than the DS version; enemies hit like bulldozers in the latter so it’s definitely the harder version, but the DS version was made by newer people so they made the pretty dumb mistake of making white magic status ailment proc rates run off Wisdom which makes half your ailments really inconsistent to land. Plus Edge can’t equip elemental claws, which is kinda baffling cause that just plain dumbs down the game.

FF4DS also let you do stuff like put draw attacks and counter on Cecil, who'd spend 90% of the game defending and taking most hits and mitigating them while hitting back constantly. Getting Twincast or Omnicast made much of the game a joke and having both trivialized the late/end game. It was only a harder game in that it was poorly balanced. You had plenty of boss fights that were largely a non-issue, some random encounters that could ruin your day (especially on a preemptive strike) and then fights like Leviathan and CPU which were "unless you did a ton of grinding, better hope you can make Rosa/Rydia/Edge guard in the 0.1 seconds before the big initial gently caress you AOE goes off" whereas the other versions of FF4 at least had those tuned without savescumming for successful guarding in mind.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dubious posted:

This is Alisaile erasure, the best red mage (she's in 14 which you haven't played)

RDM in 14 is also generally a kick-rear end interpretation of "fancy costume, uses all kinds of magic but also a sword"

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF4DS also let you do stuff like put draw attacks and counter on Cecil, who'd spend 90% of the game defending and taking most hits and mitigating them while hitting back constantly. Getting Twincast or Omnicast made much of the game a joke and having both trivialized the late/end game. It was only a harder game in that it was poorly balanced. You had plenty of boss fights that were largely a non-issue, some random encounters that could ruin your day (especially on a preemptive strike) and then fights like Leviathan and CPU which were "unless you did a ton of grinding, better hope you can make Rosa/Rydia/Edge guard in the 0.1 seconds before the big initial gently caress you AOE goes off" whereas the other versions of FF4 at least had those tuned without savescumming for successful guarding in mind.

Fun fact, when I played through FF4 again a few weeks ago, the CPU fight was the sole reason I didn't go with the 3d version.

I love like 90% of the 3d version but there were some fights that are just concentrated bullshit and not worth dealing with.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Dubious posted:

I really need to find the path of least resistance to get through stormblood so I can check out the red mage content, I was way too invested in being a RDM in the old FFXI days to not try XIV's interpretation eventually. I did play realm reborn and have a character around... 50, I think, with the main quest line completed, but I haven't touched any expansion content

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Congrats! You can unlock red mage as you are right now, since all you need a character at level 50. No need for MSQ progression.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah. While the new jobs with Heavensward required you to actually advance in the storyline to unlock them, all subsequent expansions have allowed you to switch to the new job right away as long as you've reached their minimum level.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
14 red mages have a lot of specific lore about their origins and place in the world but it’s also a lot to explain because as with everything in 14 lore it has a bunch of interconnections to everything else.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Black + White = Red

seems simple enough

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Hellioning posted:

Congrats! You can unlock red mage as you are right now, since all you need a character at level 50. No need for MSQ progression.

Well it's time to ruin my life with MMOs again

Did they ever do away with the awful interim quest path between the base game and the first expansion content? I think I ended up quitting solely because of that time sink

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

RDM in 14 is also generally a kick-rear end interpretation of "fancy costume, uses all kinds of magic but also a sword"

maria of the astral clocktower did some wild poo poo before going to yharnam

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, FFXIV Red Mage lore is really cool.

Most magic in FFXIV involves using the aether in the world around you, and trying not to use so much that you cause damage to the world in the process. This is just a super high-level overview, but a long time ago there was a huge war between a nation specializing in black magic and a nation specializing in white magic that caused a ton of aetheric damage to the land and also destroyed both civilizations.

The tradition of red magic came out of that war, as survivors banded together and combined their arts of black and white magic. They also cast spells using their bodies' own aether, which is extraordinarily dangerous and often fatal as a person's body doesn't have nearly enough aether to actually sustain spellcasting. So instead, Red Mages use an "accelerator" to take tiny amounts of their own aether and turn it into a bigger spell than they otherwise could. The downside to this is that excess aether builds up in the accelerator, which is also dangerous. That's where the sword comes in: when too much magic builds up in the accelerator, Red Mages channel it into a blade and use it in close combat.

What's really cool is that all that lore comes out of explaining the job's gameplay mechanics, so the mechanics and lore go together really well. Red Mages are the only caster job that are unable to restore their own MP with a job-specific ability, because they don't draw aether from the land around them. Their "dualcast" mechanic comes from the accelerator being able to speed up the casting of spells. And their longer-casting spells, Verthunder and Veraero, are based on spells that, in their base jobs (Black and White Mage), are damage-over-time effects--but for a Red Mage, they're direct damage, because they're being accelerated and all the magic is released at once.

It's just a really cool little fusion of lore and mechanics and I like it a lot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxxidation posted:

maria of the astral clocktower did some wild poo poo before going to yharnam

14 could do with a job that uses a big sword that splits into two smaller swords

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

Did they ever do away with the awful interim quest path between the base game and the first expansion content? I think I ended up quitting solely because of that time sink

It's somewhat shorter but it's still there.

The good thing, at least, is that they learned a lesson from that and the between-expansion content for Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers is all much, much better paced and ends up feeling like an integral part of the expansions' stories instead of filler.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Black + White = Red

seems simple enough

The black, white, and red coloration comes from Dragonlance, iirc, which has good-aligned mages dress in white, evil-aligned mages in black, and neutral in red

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
To be honest post-50 ARR stuff was largely more enjoyable than the pre-50 stuff to me. I mean, I think it just feels grueling because you're like "Come on already get me to another expansion!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It does have Alphinaud getting owned, which is always entertaining.