Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Nilbop posted:

I don’t waste my time reading any book I couldn’t use to stun a wolverine.

Don't you mean a wereodile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You mean a red well beaver?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
You mean a chupacabra? They're all over Mexico.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You mean a defective Dean clone? Those things are scurrying around everywhere.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
You mean Manosaurus? Better go check if he's got any henchmen stuck further down.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
You mean the actual Zeus, just pissed off that nobody's praying to him anymore?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

limp_cheese posted:

loving truth. I exercise reguarly and I still had sore muscles from trying to read it like a normal book.

Gotta work them forearm curls and farmer's carries. You're obviously no Brock. :colbert:

tarlibone posted:

You mean Manosaurus? Better go check if he's got any henchmen stuck further down.

It's Manotaur, you heathen! :argh:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

It's Manotaur, you heathen! :argh:

:goonsay: manotaur and manosaurus are different. I know this because that manosaurus line is right after the opening theme in The Doctor Is Sin, noted for being my favorite The Single Best Episode Of The Venture Brothers

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

OGOPOGO

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yes, Champ is a picture of a log, Nessie is a toy submarine with a head made of plastic wood but OGOPOGO IS A loving PLESIOSAURUS!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Bettie Rage is probably my favorite dumb pun name in the Venture Bros, but Tank Top is a close second.

And also the one I'm the most shocked wasn't taken. Of all the dumb G.I. Joe names or Silver Age superheroes and villains, how is there not either a G.I. Joe named tank top, or a comic book character with that name and a similar gimmick as the one on the show.

I mean I even recall Doc saying how hard it was to name the OSI crew because nearly every dumb pun he thought up was already the name of a canonical character in the franchise.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

World War Mammories posted:

:goonsay: manotaur and manosaurus are different. I know this because that manosaurus line is right after the opening theme in The Doctor Is Sin, noted for being my favorite The Single Best Episode Of The Venture Brothers
Do not confuse Manosaurus with the Mighty M...an-o-taur! And his m...alevolent m...urder maze!

I absolutely adore the Monarch just kinda flailing around to figure out how to cover his own rear end and then Phantom Limb totally buying it, from the dude with the butterfly motif etc, I'm sure I massacred that line but I don't even care it's making me laugh just to think about

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Bettie Rage is probably my favorite dumb pun name in the Venture Bros, but Tank Top is a close second.

Ah yes, The Most Murderous Bettie Rage. Loved it.

Purple Pete Rose was fun, too, if more of an inside joke amongst writers.

I also like Vain Gloria.

... I wonder what Plug Head's name is?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am hoping they might flesh out the last minor background filler characters, but this movie will be doing of closure and tying up loose ends.

Just imagine they went straight and all weird and christian if we never know.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Ah yes, The Most Murderous Bettie Rage. Loved it.

Purple Pete Rose was fun, too, if more of an inside joke amongst writers.

I also like Vain Gloria.

... I wonder what Plug Head's name is?

The Intangible Fancy has always been my favorite and while they really didn't do anything to come up with it, I really enjoyed Mr. Fahrenheit The Supersonic Man's obvious Freddie Mercury look.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Bum Rush and Laugh Riot are the 2 that get me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

And also the one I'm the most shocked wasn't taken. Of all the dumb G.I. Joe names or Silver Age superheroes and villains, how is there not either a G.I. Joe named tank top, or a comic book character with that name and a similar gimmick as the one on the show.

I mean I even recall Doc saying how hard it was to name the OSI crew because nearly every dumb pun he thought up was already the name of a canonical character in the franchise.

One-Punch Man has a whole group of Tank Top heroes, though they might be after that episode.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The fact that Brick Frog originated as just a dumb childhood idea of one of them but accidentally ends up working in a deeper way due to there being a term relating to bricks called a frog probably would work as an analogy for the show itself

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's really funny how the stated reason VB maintains its continuity and deep callbacks (and tone for that matter) is that Doc and Jackson rewatch the series before they start writing a new season. How many shows have horrible continuity issues in plot and characters because the creators are too lazy and/or conceited to rewatch the material?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Sometimes I think about brick frog. I mean, with the show canceled, what's he been up to? That guy only had two things going on: brick throwing, and frog-being.

What's he going to do when the show is completely over?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

tarlibone posted:

Sometimes I think about brick frog. I mean, with the show canceled, what's he been up to? That guy only had two things going on: brick throwing, and frog-being.

He's gonna hit the bricks

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

prolly gonna chuck bricks at people while dressed as a frog

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not even just that, it's also the fact that these guys are the ONLY writers for the show. So it's not just that they remember the references, they know specifically why they made the reference to begin with are intimately aware of the whole cultural experience that caused the reference to exist in the first place.

VB was pretty drat unique in this situation because when they had a callback to something they did prior, it wasn't just making a reference to that thing. It's a continuation of the reference with all the same reasoning and history which can't be replicated by a different set of writers riffing off the writing room of 3 seasons ago.

Also, the fact that they wrote jokes to make themselves laugh. It wasn't to target a specific audience, they didn't even try to EXPLAIN them to an audience. It made them laugh, it hit the script, you have to mine the gold yourself.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

tarlibone posted:

Venture Brothers is just his side gig, his main job is being the stunt double for various other frog characters in comics and cartoons, he's been really busy ever since Amphibia premiered

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

It's not even just that, it's also the fact that these guys are the ONLY writers for the show. So it's not just that they remember the references, they know specifically why they made the reference to begin with are intimately aware of the whole cultural experience that caused the reference to exist in the first place.

VB was pretty drat unique in this situation because when they had a callback to something they did prior, it wasn't just making a reference to that thing. It's a continuation of the reference with all the same reasoning and history which can't be replicated by a different set of writers riffing off the writing room of 3 seasons ago.

Also, the fact that they wrote jokes to make themselves laugh. It wasn't to target a specific audience, they didn't even try to EXPLAIN them to an audience. It made them laugh, it hit the script, you have to mine the gold yourself.

I don’t know any other show that would let a Henry Darger joke just stand on its own.

Absolutely the best joke of the series IMO. Or at least my favorite.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

This does hit the nail on the head. One of my favorite lines is when the family is on the run from assassins and go to Hunter for advice. He has the line "You call parking a supersonice jet in front of a titty bar inconsipicuous?! Who taught you how to be a spy loving GALLAGHER?!" That Gallager reference slayed me and I hadn't thought of that guy in years. That line runs through my head anytime I see some stupid spy thing in anything.

I'm pretty sure the Spanakopita episode came entirely from them thinking its a fun word ro say and yelling it at each other for months while at the Astrobase. These guys are immature children and its great.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
How about the fact that their studio is called "Astrobase Go!"?

And they commit to it, referring to it in casual conversation as the "Astrobase." It's so goofy, faux-nostalgic, and on-brand.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

limp_cheese posted:

This does hit the nail on the head. One of my favorite lines is when the family is on the run from assassins and go to Hunter for advice. He has the line "You call parking a supersonice jet in front of a titty bar inconsipicuous?! Who taught you how to be a spy loving GALLAGHER?!" That Gallager reference slayed me and I hadn't thought of that guy in years. That line runs through my head anytime I see some stupid spy thing in anything.

I'm pretty sure the Spanakopita episode came entirely from them thinking its a fun word ro say and yelling it at each other for months while at the Astrobase. These guys are immature children and its great.

Then just ticking on how the internet pronounced retiarius is so great. God I miss the commentaries. There has to be a way to get them digitally, right?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

TK-42-1 posted:

Then just ticking on how the internet pronounced retiarius is so great. God I miss the commentaries. There has to be a way to get them digitally, right?

Thats what I want. I'd love to listen to it podcast style. I have the DVDs but I don't have a DVD drive lol. I bought the DVDs way after having a working player/drive even.

I'm interested in what doc/jackson will do if this is the end. Anything they work on will be great.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

limp_cheese posted:

Bum Rush and Laugh Riot are the 2 that get me.

Shuttlecock is my favorite

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

deong posted:

Thats what I want. I'd love to listen to it podcast style. I have the DVDs but I don't have a DVD drive lol. I bought the DVDs way after having a working player/drive even.

I'm interested in what doc/jackson will do if this is the end. Anything they work on will be great.

A USB external DVD drive is like 20 bucks on Amazon from a quick check

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t know any other show that would let a Henry Darger joke just stand on its own.

Absolutely the best joke of the series IMO. Or at least my favorite.

It's definitely up there for me as well. I think about it every time I think about Darger, which is usually just when Flagpole Sitta comes on the radio and I misremember the name of the band that wrote it. Still a good laugh and whenever it comes up, though.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

One that always gets me is in the Black Widow episode in s7 Doc says that he hasn't been laid since the boy's prom, and when they go 'eewww' he just brushes it off with 'oh, you don't know the half of it'. That they're able to casually reference something that happened off-screen 3 seasons prior and have it be a throwaway line in the middle of a conversation like that just goes to show how well they know their characters and how organic their approach to worldbuilding is. No other team of writers could ever know Dr Venture well enough to make that joke.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

pablo gbscobar posted:

One that always gets me is in the Black Widow episode in s7 Doc says that he hasn't been laid since the boy's prom, and when they go 'eewww' he just brushes it off with 'oh, you don't know the half of it'. That they're able to casually reference something that happened off-screen 3 seasons prior and have it be a throwaway line in the middle of a conversation like that just goes to show how well they know their characters and how organic their approach to worldbuilding is. No other team of writers could ever know Dr Venture well enough to make that joke.

That wasn't the first time Doc did that routine. When he tells Orpheus that he didn't lose his virginity until he was 24 because of he went to school in a talking Venture bed, Orpheus says "That is awful." Not missing a beat, Doc says, "Well, you didn't see her; it was horrific."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tarlibone posted:

How about the fact that their studio is called "Astrobase Go!"?

And they commit to it, referring to it in casual conversation as the "Astrobase." It's so goofy, faux-nostalgic, and on-brand.
My absolute favorite part of this is when Doc answers the phone on a commentary track and he puts a period between the two words, making "go" the command to make the other person start talking.

"Astrobase. Go."

tarlibone posted:

That wasn't the first time Doc did that routine. When he tells Orpheus that he didn't lose his virginity until he was 24 because of he went to school in a talking Venture bed, Orpheus says "That is awful." Not missing a beat, Doc says, "Well, you didn't see her; it was horrific."
The understated sexual bonding of Doctors Venture and Orpheus always tickles me.

"Wanna' go halfsies on a skin flick?"

"...Kay."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's definitely a theme with the Docs Rusty and Orpheus having a lot in common despite their different fields. Rusty might even have been an inspiration for Orpheus to hang out with his old team again- after all, as pathetic and lonely as Rusty is, one of the things that clearly keeps him going is his friends and colleagues. And of course both of them are in so deep in their genre trappings they have a lot of trouble interacting with society outside of that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's definitely a theme with the Docs Rusty and Orpheus having a lot in common despite their different fields. Rusty might even have been an inspiration for Orpheus to hang out with his old team again- after all, as pathetic and lonely as Rusty is, one of the things that clearly keeps him going is his friends and colleagues. And of course both of them are in so deep in their genre trappings they have a lot of trouble interacting with society outside of that.
Hot drat this is an insightful post.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Warbird posted:

Could you point me in that direction? I poked around looking for one a bit ago but only came up with some sketch rear end looking sites. Happy to prove ownership of the real deal if needed.

e- Took another look around and it's pretty easy to find. I the dumb.
For legit means, I found it on Comixology.

I rarely buy anything full price there; why would I with so many sales and many with insane cuts?

But the physical book was an amazing deal at $28 when I bought it years ago. I'm used to most books like these costing at least $50, usually between $75-$150.

So spending another $23 didn't seem like a big deal to me.

Especially since I don't need reading glasses. As much as I love the information and detail, woof that's a small font for my old-rear end eyes.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

ayup:

jackson publick, the big ol book posted:

Doc and I got together to work out the rest of the script [of Operation: P.R.O.M.]. We had three weeks, or a month, to write the second draft. We already pretty much knew what we were writing, but somehow when we were having these meetings with each other at the Base - we were just chatting and riffing - I started ticking on the word spanakopita. And we kind of accidentally came up with three or four great ideas for season 5 episodes.

the way these precious fellas write is a treasure

speaking of, it took me years to get the joke in the pseudonym "jackson publick"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

World War Mammories posted:

speaking of, it took me years to get the joke in the pseudonym "jackson publick"

Figured there was one, but what is it? Opposite of Private Jackson?