Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

you said that there have been no non-pfizer employees suggesting booster shots. the article you just posted says that a panel of experts recommended a booster shot to the israeli government. unless everyone on this panel and/or in the israeli health ministry is employed by pfizer, your statement that nobody is recommending booster shots that aren't on pfizer's payroll is wrong.

You got me dude, good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Throw away your vaxx card and go get mRNA

If you're going to say someone's vaccine is useless you should really try to provide evidence or anything instead of just having some weird grudge against a vaccine

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BattleHamster posted:

You got me dude, good job.

They did yeah

gently caress SNEEP posted:

If you're going to say someone's vaccine is useless you should really try to provide evidence or anything instead of just having some weird grudge against a vaccine

lol what? OP asked what their recourse was. My answer was to pretend they hadn't been vaccinated at all so they could get a full course of mRNA. You're really projecting something there

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Not really though.

The current evidence for a 3rd dose are for those who didn't or don't respond well to the usual 2 dose protocol, and that's basically immunocompromised and the elderly (which elderly tend to have worse functioning immune systems).

There is anecdotal thought that if you're a JJ, Sino, Sputnik, or maybe an AZ haver, that an mRNA would be ideal to get as a 2nd or 3rd shot.

This is especially true of Sino/Sputnik, both of which have poor effectiveness as compared to AZ/mRNA to begin with.

If you're not immunocompromised (by medicine, genetics, bad luck, or age), and you're not in a situation to be dealing with many potentially unvaccinated people per day, there is no logical reason to get a 3rd dose at this time. An emotional one, sure, but that doesn't mean it's right.

If they come up with an updated vaccine, potentially sure, depending on what the stats look like.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

BattleHamster posted:

This is for individuals above 60 and afaik this decay in efficacy happens slower for people as you go down in age. I'm in my 30's and in fine health, I don't need a third shot just to gain a few extra percentage points especially if that vaccine can go to someone who is currently unvaccinated.

Do you have any reason to think that there are shortages of vaccines in the US and getting a 3rd shot would negatively impact anyone else at all? Like literally any reason at all? The US is doing about 615k doses a day, down from a peak of average of 3.3 million. There's around 50m delivered but unadministered shots in the country (some have surely spoiled), we do not have a shortage of vaccines in the US and absolutely no reason to even think there is. The worst that can happen is that another walk in shot has to wait 5 minutes for your shot to get done first.

While I'm here, I might as well also say there's no more PPE shortage. You don't need to wear lovely masks to save n95s or respirators for health care workers. There are plenty of good masks available for reasonable prices, and any HCW who isn't getting enough n95s is getting hosed by hospital policy normalizing emergency rationing to save money, not logistics.

In your 30s? You're already at least twice as likely to require hospitalization, and four times as likely to die from a covid infection, accord to cdc numbers. "Healthy" does not mean poo poo to a virus, no more than it did to the thousands of other healthy people now suffering from long covid, or long death.

Panfilo posted:

So what recourse is there for the people that got the J&J vaccine, not the mRNA ones? When I got vaccinated back in March the Janssen one was the only one available that day and felt it foolish to be picky at the time.

You made the correct choice at the time, and getting J&J was certainly better than having no vaccine. But getting a mrna booster is a very good idea now. There's a lot of anecdotal reports of J&J people getting an mrna booster, without any reports of side effects worse than usual for the 2nd mrna shot. The last few pages of the d&d covid thread has a few personal accounts if you want to ask someone who has done it.

We know J&J is less effective than mrna vaccines, and the preliminary info from mixing studies don't indicate anything worse than the usual vaccine side effects. The clock is ticking on boosters for this delta wave, waiting 6 months for studies to finish peer review is not going to help you in the next 6-12 weeks as this wave spikes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

:toot: :toot:https://twitter.com/SacCountyCA/status/1420788192840617984

I'm sure stores will be thrilled about changing their mask signage again. And I'd be shocked if we even got to 50% masking indoors again, but at least it is a "requirement" instead of just a suggestion.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

jetz0r posted:

I'm sure stores will be thrilled about changing their mask signage again. And I'd be shocked if we even got to 50% masking indoors again, but at least it is a "requirement" instead of just a suggestion.

SF County Jail just opened for visitations on Monday and stopped allowing them again on Wednesday, so they literally had 2 days where it was possible. My wife teaches high school to the guys in there and had 2 days worth of classes she could teach before going back to remote learning. Absolutely loving sucks for all the guys in there.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

HelloSailorSign posted:

Not really though.

It's literally a governmental health authority (a foreign one, but still) recommending a 3rd shot (albeit only for a clearly defined segment of the populace)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think the only real point is that there's a nonzero chance of seeing the cdc approve a booster shot. And at that point, we have to see if the government will pay for it (and if so, if it's to anyone or only those that fit specific demographics)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

gently caress YEAH bros, we're gonna build another 5% of the salt water refineries before we cancel it again.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Desal is such a scam.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
there's one for santa clara county that they're trying to sell them on that's basically "hey what if instead we bore a deepass hole and siphon up the brackish water there instead of straight seawater, for the energy savings"

also they'd still charge a crazy amount just like regular desal, because it's still energy intensive (just less so) and requires a whole facility and its environmental impact of the brine dumping

but hey, better profits? to their credit it's not happening, yet

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Desalination:
1) Takes up incredibly high cost shoreline property
2) Is expensive as gently caress to build
3) Is expensive as gently caress to operate
4) Is energy intensive as hell to operate
5) Dumps a shitload of piping hot salt brine back into the ocean which causes local ecological disruption for marine life and would absolutely get worse if you rapidly scaled up the amount of plants.
6) Produces what is relatively gently caress all water

But it's popular because THE OCEAN IS RIGHT THERE :byodood:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The best desal proposal was using the waste heat from Diablo Canyon to do it. Arroyo Grande was like "YES PLEASE" and then right after that PG&E was like "lol just kidding we're closing the plant".

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BattleHamster posted:

Its not even about what kind of study they do, its about how I haven't heard a single person outside of doctors and CEOs from Pfizer say that a 3rd shot is a good idea right now. Every outside source that I can find (medical professional/healthcare agency) seems to be saying "this MIGHT be a good idea in the future but it needs more study, the current vaccines work really well against delta, and extra doses should go to all the countries where they don't have enough vaccine."

Pfizer has incredible financial incentive to sell a 3rd shot to rich countries, waaaaaay more than it does selling 1st and 2nd doses to poorer countries. IMO this alone should make you highly skeptical of getting a third shot. The delta variant was originally discovered in India and yet only 26% of the population has been vaccinated there and only 7.3% have been fully vaccinated. The idea that we should be getting 3rd shots to protect against a variant that likely originated from a country where most don't even have their first, let alone second, is absurd to me.

Fwiw I basically agree with this, maybe not every single point exactly but broad strokes.

The Israeli expert panel is worth considering, but reading their rationale (per that article at least, and general reporting is often terrible on details of medical/scientific news) and that it’ll only be for at least 65 and older tempers the relevance of their recommendation IMO. That said, I’m in my 30s; if I was older, maybe I would have a lower bar for what level of evidence I’d want to see before getting a 3rd dose.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sydin posted:

Desalination:
1) Takes up incredibly high cost shoreline property
2) Is expensive as gently caress to build
3) Is expensive as gently caress to operate
4) Is energy intensive as hell to operate
5) Dumps a shitload of piping hot salt brine back into the ocean which causes local ecological disruption for marine life and would absolutely get worse if you rapidly scaled up the amount of plants.
6) Produces what is relatively gently caress all water

But it's popular because THE OCEAN IS RIGHT THERE :byodood:

idk, desal + nuclear are The Way forward. Isreal and Saudia Arabia generate ~40% of their water from desal at this point. Climate change is going to push some places to needing 100% of their water from desal.

We're barrelling into mass death and climate refugee scenarios at breakneck pace and desal's environmental impact isn't even a drop in the garbage patch compared to stupid poo poo like bitcoin or almonds.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Israel has a population of 9M, California is pushing 40M. Our ag output is also exponentially larger even if you eliminated cash crops like almonds, alfalfa, etc. Assuming desalination is going to be able to provide for all or even the majority of California water needs is a fantasy barring some kind of miraculous technological leap in the process. I'm not saying zero desal, but thinking it's the magic bullet is imo the wrong way to look at the long term viability of a large population in California.

What we really need above all else is investment in vastly expanded and centralized waste water reclamation. Even if you can never convince the public at large that it's potable - despite the fact that existing purification techniques can turn raw sewage into water that's legitimately cleaner than what you'd find in your average commercial bottled water - you can still divert that water to ag/landscaping/industrial needs at scale to free up that much more water for residential and commercial needs.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

El Mero Mero posted:

idk, desal + nuclear are The Way forward. Isreal and Saudia Arabia generate ~40% of their water from desal at this point. Climate change is going to push some places to needing 100% of their water from desal.

We're barrelling into mass death and climate refugee scenarios at breakneck pace and desal's environmental impact isn't even a drop in the garbage patch compared to stupid poo poo like bitcoin or almonds.

hear me out though, desal to WATER ALMONDS

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HelloSailorSign posted:

Not really though.

Yes they did. You said something that was wrong and they corrected you.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Sydin posted:

Israel has a population of 9M, California is pushing 40M. Our ag output is also exponentially larger even if you eliminated cash crops like almonds, alfalfa, etc. Assuming desalination is going to be able to provide for all or even the majority of California water needs is a fantasy barring some kind of miraculous technological leap in the process. I'm not saying zero desal, but thinking it's the magic bullet is imo the wrong way to look at the long term viability of a large population in California.

What we really need above all else is investment in vastly expanded and centralized waste water reclamation. Even if you can never convince the public at large that it's potable - despite the fact that existing purification techniques can turn raw sewage into water that's legitimately cleaner than what you'd find in your average commercial bottled water - you can still divert that water to ag/landscaping/industrial needs at scale to free up that much more water for residential and commercial needs.
:smug: "Water? Like, from the toilet?" is all you're gonna hear for the next century in terms of water reclamation.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why reclaim it if it's going to agriculture? Pump that sweet, sweet sewage water into our fields. It's fertilizer!

I really liked the video of the manager at the water reclamation plant who was so confident in the reclamation process that he drank a glass of water fresh from the facility on camera.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

hear me out though, desal to WATER ALMONDS

We have to nuke the almonds.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Don't desal before watering the almonds and you don't have to salt them after roasting them! Flawless logic!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CPColin posted:

Don't desal before watering the almonds and you don't have to salt them after roasting them! Flawless logic!
If things keep heating up, we won't even have to roast them!
Guys we did it, good job thread.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CPColin posted:

Think of the energy savings!!!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
When it gets hot enough, we can release a bunch of oil into the Central Valley and harvest the resulting kale chips

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why reclaim it if it's going to agriculture? Pump that sweet, sweet sewage water into our fields. It's fertilizer!

I really liked the video of the manager at the water reclamation plant who was so confident in the reclamation process that he drank a glass of water fresh from the facility on camera.

we really should at least be reclaiming the phosphorus from our sewage effluent

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CPColin posted:

When it gets hot enough, we can release a bunch of oil into the Central Valley and harvest the resulting kale chips

Just in time for the recall

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Speaking of which, I saw a "stop the Republican recall" commercial last night where Elizabeth Warren butted in to equate the recall effort with the various "stop the steal" astroturfed movements across the country. "Gaming the system" and "abusing the process" and all that and...just no. The recall is stupid, to be sure, but initiating a process that's easy to initiate isn't "gaming" or "abusing" it ffs. I've even seen it called "anti-(small-d)-democratic" and, uh, it's the exact opposite?

Of course, watch as Sacramento doesn't put an amendment on the ballot to make the recall process less stupid. Why would they?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Panfilo posted:

:smug: "Water? Like, from the toilet?" is all you're gonna hear for the next century in terms of water reclamation.

Right like I said: it is really unfortunate but I think trying to convince the public reclaimed water is potable is ultimately a non-starter. But there are shitloads of other uses for water where reclamation can help ease the burden on drinking water supplies.

CPColin posted:

:hmmyes:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Nobody knows where their water comes from, you can pump reclaimed water into the supply and nobody is going to know if you don't make a big deal out of it

Also send the desal brine to oil and gas companies for reinjection. Old fields have such terrible material balances that you can put away a ton of that brine into reservoirs that were running 300k TDS to begin with

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

sb hermit posted:

I think the only real point is that there's a nonzero chance of seeing the cdc approve a booster shot. And at that point, we have to see if the government will pay for it (and if so, if it's to anyone or only those that fit specific demographics)

Precisely.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sydin posted:

Right like I said: it is really unfortunate but I think trying to convince the public reclaimed water is potable is ultimately a non-starter. But there are shitloads of other uses for water where reclamation can help ease the burden on drinking water supplies.

instead they really lean into it and call it "toilet to tap" - it's already in use in places like west texas

in silicon valley all the big tech campuses have been fawning over reverse osmosis reclamation that they use for stuff like landscaping irrigation and flushing toilets for a few years now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

Speaking of which, I saw a "stop the Republican recall" commercial last night where Elizabeth Warren butted in to equate the recall effort with the various "stop the steal" astroturfed movements across the country. "Gaming the system" and "abusing the process" and all that and...just no. The recall is stupid, to be sure, but initiating a process that's easy to initiate isn't "gaming" or "abusing" it ffs. I've even seen it called "anti-(small-d)-democratic" and, uh, it's the exact opposite?

Of course, watch as Sacramento doesn't put an amendment on the ballot to make the recall process less stupid. Why would they?

All politicians are whiny narcissists.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

Nobody knows where their water comes from, you can pump reclaimed water into the supply and nobody is going to know if you don't make a big deal out of it

Also send the desal brine to oil and gas companies for reinjection. Old fields have such terrible material balances that you can put away a ton of that brine into reservoirs that were running 300k TDS to begin with

lmao if you don't think you'll have all the usual people screaming about it

san francisco started mixing groundwater in to supplement what we get from hetch hetchy and you'd think they were piping raw sewage into people's homes from the outcry

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

irwd (irvine ranch water district) has been doing reclaimation for awhile and the reclaimed water is only delivered via these pink hoses, servicing areas with signs that say "do NOT drink this water!". But all the large landscaped areas use it, so reclaimed water use is certainly not out of the question. But it doesn't seem scaleable enough for real residential use.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I only drink water that has been turned into almond milk

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Does anyone know about the large-scale viability of fog harvesting? I think that's a thing they do in Peru or something, but I don't know if it's an actually viable water production method.

Kobe Bryant
Nov 16, 2010

Oneiros posted:

lmao if you don't think you'll have all the usual people screaming about it

san francisco started mixing groundwater in to supplement what we get from hetch hetchy and you'd think they were piping raw sewage into people's homes from the outcry
We can't have any infrastructure projects because of community pushback.

Trying to clear sediment build-up from a dam to reduce flooding risks gets years of pushback from community groups that aren't impacted by the potential flooding. Most of the plants in the habitat being disturbed were being removed were invasive to begin with.

https://pasadenaweekly.com/environmentalists-win-the-devils-gate-dam-settlement/

quote:

The settlement will lead to shrinking the permanent footprint of the project by 20 acres, as well as restoration and establishment of additional riparian habitat in the Hahamongna Basin at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains. The county and its habitat restoration contractor will also be required to purchase native plants and seeds from ASF as part of the settlement. Air quality emissions caused by the project will be reduced through the use of electric and compressed natural gas trucks to remove sediment.

Kobe Bryant fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

sb hermit posted:

irwd (irvine ranch water district) has been doing reclaimation for awhile and the reclaimed water is only delivered via these pink hoses, servicing areas with signs that say "do NOT drink this water!". But all the large landscaped areas use it, so reclaimed water use is certainly not out of the question. But it doesn't seem scaleable enough for real residential use.
Reclaimed water systems like IRWD are pretty intensive in terms of infrastructure - they are completely parallel to the potable water supply and don't mix. It's certainly scalable, but it's like building municipal fiber optic internet; building the backbone that pumps the reclaimed water around is kinda manageable, but last mile connections to each individual water meter is extremely prohibitive. The large landscaped areas can afford it because they don't need a ton of individual points of connection.

You definitely can't mix it into the potable water supply though. The whole point of reclaimed water is that it's not fully processed to make it potable again, so it's cheaper and more energy efficient to use for watering plants and doing stuff like industrial cooling. If you want to drink it, it needs to be cleaned up more, at which point it's just like any other tap water (and yes, people will complain about tap water that's 100% safe if they think they're currently getting mountain spring water).