Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Say they decide to support the Proton version as first class with QA and all, especially for something like the Deck. Does it really matter then if it isn't "native"?

There's a performance hit if the game doesn't use Vulkan. If it does use Vulkan than it basically doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

The 7th Guest posted:

I would not get too excited about VR on this thing... I mean, yes, it's more powerful than the hardware in the quest, but iGPU and VR are a bad combination. you'll likely have to bring the resolution scale down a lot, on top of cranking the graphical settings down. and then streaming to the quest will be a hit on the CPU as well

even with an i7-10k and overclocked 3070, my hp reverb g2 will have trouble hitting 100% resolution scale on some games. (luckily the reverb has a pretty high internal resolution so even 80-some precent looks pretty sharp)

Yeah I figured as much, just interesting Gabe would even mention it if it is barely functional.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hammer Bro. posted:

I've been following Godot pretty closely for the last few years. The polls come out and the overwhelming voting userbase identify as white males between like 18 and 34 working solo on non-commercial projects, though interestingly with a pretty even split between North America and Europe. So lots of hobbyists.

But it's definitely been getting a lot of more formal attention over the last year, grants from foundations and funds from Patreon and whatnot, so it's definitely on its way toward emerging into the mainstream. And it is a joy to work with.

I'm actually concerned its popularity is going to water down its vision from a technical perspective. Like when they did a vote on which other programming languages they should support with officially maintained plugins, Rust made a showing.

Fortunately the devs called that one out as boneheaded.

The thing that got me to justify my preorder was actually the idea of running Godot portably so I can work on my hobby games on the go with controllers built-in. Which I immediately recognized as wildly unrealistic unless I can figure out how to get a reasonably portable keyboard that's good for lots of typing on. But then I fantasized drawing graphics using the touchscreen. Hopefully the touch screen supports glove-and-pencil style drawing.

I identify as a female white game dev also doing a solo project.

I looked super hard at Godot and Unity and while I really want to play with Godot, it seems like once you get to the stage of "and now I want to add some cool effects and shaders and lighting to my game..." it starts to break apart in the water.

Unity is obscure-ish and complex to get rolling, but then that complexity remains a steady line for the whole project. So at no point should you hit some wall where it's just super hard to achieve something and there's no tutorials or help in YouTube and such... you'll just have to get over one more complex piece surrounded by other equally complex pieces.

It's just my opinion, so I could be wrong. It's just what I gathered from reading stuff other people have encountered and tried to do.

If you don't want flashy stuff in your game that is somewhat easily done in other engines in comparison to hitting a literal brick wall with Godot, and don't mind working with Godot core code yourself to basically invent this technology other engines have naturally or in modules already built... you'll probably be fine to use it.

Good luck! :)

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 29, 2021

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I thought you identified as a sunken luxury cruise liner. Makes sense that you'd be posting in the Steam/Deck thread. (Former Star Citizen thread lurker; thanks for all the laughs).

And yeah Godot both benefits and suffers from being historically primarily developed by the people who wanted to use it. Most of the brick walls I've ran into actually had elegant solutions once I found out about them, but they weren't always obvious nor initially intuitive to me. It smacks very much of the kind of software I write at my day job where priority #1 is to get the stuff done in a way that works well for me myself. Documentation comes later if at all. And if people wanna go about doing it the wrong way that's fine; the knowledge that there's a better way to do it is enough to avoid pondering the fact that so many people are initially inclined to do it wrong.

I've only done a bit with shaders and lighting, so I'm very willing to believe it's one of those weak spots where the devs didn't really have a need for it. It's interesting to see how things change as it garners interest and funding.

I think what turned me off of Unity was that 2D was a second class citizen, a special case of 3D, whereas my main interest lie in making 2D sprite-based games. Which these days require shader magic to accomplish 8-bit palette swaps.

Uh also now that I think about it I have added features to the core Godot engine code for my own personal use. I should probably document them. Maybe even tell other people about them...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

More stuff from IGN talking to Gabe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kO6Dj2XNfY

I'm only bumping this because I forgot to point out that Gabe said that whenever they tried a different version of this thing the first game he played on it was DOTA and he's happy with how the Deck plays.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

to be fair, that's also what he said about the steam controller. And, well,

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

And He Was Right

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

to be fair, that's also what he said about the steam controller. And, well,

I’ll admit I’ve never used one but since the deck was announced I have seen quite a few positive reviews of the steam controller.

That being said I won’t ever actually use one because I like my Xbox controller just fine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The steam controller seems to be a person loves or hates it kind of thing. Which the deck will probably be as well

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll admit I’ve never used one but since the deck was announced I have seen quite a few positive reviews of the steam controller.

That being said I won’t ever actually use one because I like my Xbox controller just fine.
You will if you're buying a Steam Deck

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

homeless snail posted:

You will if you're buying a Steam Deck

:colbert:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:hmmyes:

Another thing that’s could be an issue is car chargers for this thing. The other two portable devices I have won’t even trickle charge if it’s not a high enough W out. It’s going to be interesting to see if valve lets this thing slow charge because none of the other devices I have will do that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Do they make a USB-PD car charger that runs at 12V? That seems like such a trivial thing to do.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bought my dad a 42W PD car charger for $15 recently and his Pixel 4A seems fine with it.

Here's a 65W PD3.0: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08F25BP4X/

E: Also supports PPS. Pretty nice for what it is. Can do 65W over just USB C alone or 45W + 18W if both slots are in use.

I'd be surprised if the Deck went over 60W since you need 5A certified cables at that point and it's unlikely they'll require a cable that most folks either won't have or won't be able to tell from the common 3A cable.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 1, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I assume the key is to look for chargers marketed for use with laptops, rather than phones

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wattage + USB PD features (3.0, PPS) is a good way to choose. PD has max voltage of 20V, so a 3A cable takes you up to 60W and you need a 5A cable to hit 100W.

E: USB PD devices seem pretty well behaved in negotiating power and dealing with various power sources. My PD laptop (45W charger) will happily draw power from a non-PD USB C port on my travel plug adapter in a pinch, that port can do 5V x 3A. Enough to keep it from dying and charge very slowly.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 1, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

Bought my dad a 42W PD car charger for $15 recently and his Pixel 4A seems fine with it.

Here's a 65W PD3.0: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08F25BP4X/

E: Also supports PPS. Pretty nice for what it is. Can do 65W over just USB C alone or 45W + 18W if both slots are in use.

I'd be surprised if the Deck went over 60W since you need 5A certified cables at that point and it's unlikely they'll require a cable that most folks either won't have or won't be able to tell from the common 3A cable.

Thanks for this! I’m gonna order it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The other thing to look at on a multi-port PD charger or battery pack is how it distributes power over those ports when multiple devices are plugged in - the total power shown may not always be available or distributed well.

Bought this 2x PD charger a few months back and the chart halfway down shows the power distribution by active port: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MX669V6/

So with 2x PD devices on the C ports, it gives 87W + 60W for example which is pretty good.

And that's all I know about PD.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 1, 2021

AgentF
May 11, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

The steam controller seems to be a person loves or hates it kind of thing. Which the deck will probably be as well

Not on these forums. I only ever saw hate for the Steam Controller at the time that it was being sold and first used. Glad to see it undergoing a rehabilitation of sorts.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Hated the track pad D-pad thing the Steam Controller had, but loved everything else. At least it led to Steam Input and being able to map controls.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The buttons on the Steam Controller are either too clicky or too spongy, and it desperately needed a revised model, but that's what we're getting with the Deck anyway. It's still a good enough controller for me to use on a daily basis, even for things like Golf It where swinging the controller to hit the ball is frankly easier to judge power than with the mouse.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm glad they made a middling controller because hopefully that taught them a lot before making controls for the Deck

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

I would not get too excited about VR on this thing... I mean, yes, it's more powerful than the hardware in the quest, but iGPU and VR are a bad combination. you'll likely have to bring the resolution scale down a lot, on top of cranking the graphical settings down. and then streaming to the quest will be a hit on the CPU as well

even with an i7-10k and overclocked 3070, my hp reverb g2 will have trouble hitting 100% resolution scale on some games. (luckily the reverb has a pretty high internal resolution so even 80-some precent looks pretty sharp)

I will be curious how well it handles getting dunked into a dock connected to an external GPU for VR or couch gaming like a switch. The overheads shouldn't be too bad on the latest USB / thunderbolt, but we will see.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the deck doesn't have thunderbolt or usb4 so external gpus are a no-go

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hammer Bro. posted:

I thought you identified as a sunken luxury cruise liner. Makes sense that you'd be posting in the Steam/Deck thread. (Former Star Citizen thread lurker; thanks for all the laughs).

And yeah Godot both benefits and suffers from being historically primarily developed by the people who wanted to use it. Most of the brick walls I've ran into actually had elegant solutions once I found out about them, but they weren't always obvious nor initially intuitive to me. It smacks very much of the kind of software I write at my day job where priority #1 is to get the stuff done in a way that works well for me myself. Documentation comes later if at all. And if people wanna go about doing it the wrong way that's fine; the knowledge that there's a better way to do it is enough to avoid pondering the fact that so many people are initially inclined to do it wrong.

I've only done a bit with shaders and lighting, so I'm very willing to believe it's one of those weak spots where the devs didn't really have a need for it. It's interesting to see how things change as it garners interest and funding.

I think what turned me off of Unity was that 2D was a second class citizen, a special case of 3D, whereas my main interest lie in making 2D sprite-based games. Which these days require shader magic to accomplish 8-bit palette swaps.

Uh also now that I think about it I have added features to the core Godot engine code for my own personal use. I should probably document them. Maybe even tell other people about them...

:hfive:

I got to cover all the decks. :)

I'm also not implying Unity is amazing either, because I run into lots of issues with it as well, especially with the animator and sprite animation and changing a sprite sheet for like character changes. It's a total mess with no good answers.

If you have cool Godot stuff that makes it better, put it out there! I'd love to see Godot become better because you never know what you might need it for at some point.

But not to split the thread, I'm interested in the Deck because I love the Switch and getting PC games more like a Switch type console would be pretty neat. I'd probably get more involved with PC gaming if it was easy to get into and didn't require me to sit at a computer somewhere.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah. I'll enjoy it as a hobby device regardless, but my casual gaming engagement will go way up if they nail that suspend/resume functionality like the Switch had.

Even modern awesome games like Yakuza 7 don't always have the option to stow it when life interrupts. Which in turn usually prevents me from opening up games in the first place.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yeah. I'll enjoy it as a hobby device regardless, but my casual gaming engagement will go way up if they nail that suspend/resume functionality like the Switch had.

Even modern awesome games like Yakuza 7 don't always have the option to stow it when life interrupts. Which in turn usually prevents me from opening up games in the first place.

Yeah the suspend / resume feature is huge for mobile gaming. Like on my devices now it is kinda a pain in the rear end to have to quit the game when I just want to put the device down for a little while.

I accidentally hit the power button on my aya Neo while dragons dogma was running and I was pretty surprised the game didn’t freak out and crash when I came back.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the suspend / resume feature is huge for mobile gaming. Like on my devices now it is kinda a pain in the rear end to have to quit the game when I just want to put the device down for a little while.

I accidentally hit the power button on my aya Neo while dragons dogma was running and I was pretty surprised the game didn’t freak out and crash when I came back.

I legit can't play some of the Yakuzas cause it takes over an hour to hit a save point

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

repiv posted:

the deck doesn't have thunderbolt or usb4 so external gpus are a no-go

Aww shucks

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I really can’t explain it well but this is a pretty good video on what could he possible with Linux and the steam deck.

https://youtu.be/I8vjwvvk6Sc

If community support is good this thing could really work great. Part of the problem now for me at least is always having to go to the aya Neo discord to ask questions about how people are running some games.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

With this thing being a PC, how are drivers and updates going to work? Will SteamOS just provide all updates or will I have to go to AMD's site for the newest drivers? If you're running Windows you'll be doing everything like you usually would but I guess here they'd have to update everything straight up through Steam itself. I think I remember Steam actually having driver downloads at some point. Would AMD make drivers purpose built for this thing?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MarcusSA posted:

If community support is good this thing could really work great. Part of the problem now for me at least is always having to go to the aya Neo discord to ask questions about how people are running some games.

It'll certainly be better than the aya neo, just on account of the fact that they're making a shitload and selling 'em cheap.

sigher posted:

With this thing being a PC, how are drivers and updates going to work? Will SteamOS just provide all updates or will I have to go to AMD's site for the newest drivers? If you're running Windows you'll be doing everything like you usually would but I guess here they'd have to update everything straight up through Steam itself. I think I remember Steam actually having driver downloads at some point. Would AMD make drivers purpose built for this thing?

steamos will almost certainly be a monolithic update, i doubt you'll have to worry about that. amd is, of course, building drivers for it, it wouldn't work otherwise.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sigher posted:

Given that they're rolling their own OS I'd imagine you're entirely dependent on Valve but the mobile driver space isn't straightforward. A while back AMD announced they'd be providing their own graphics drivers after laptop manufacturers just didn't provide any, severely hampering AMD laptop performance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This made me laugh. 2022 could be the year of Linux gaming.

sigher posted:

Yeah steamOS is going to have to work just like Windows with auto updates and driver updates. There is like no way they can’t do that and expect this thing to have the type of adoption they want. If this thing sells millions like they want then yeah I can see AMD doing something just for this thing.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It'll certainly be better than the aya neo, just on account of the fact that they're making a shitload and selling 'em cheap.

steamos will almost certainly be a monolithic update, i doubt you'll have to worry about that. amd is, of course, building drivers for it, it wouldn't work otherwise.

True and hopefully steamOS makes it easier to implements and streamlines some of the current tinkering that needs to be done.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Given that they're rolling their own OS I'd imagine you're entirely dependent on Valve but the mobile driver space isn't straightforward. A while back AMD announced they'd be providing their own graphics drivers after laptop manufacturers just didn't provide any, severely hampering AMD laptop performance.

Yeah the Radeon iGPU drivers are all rolled into the same package as the regular stuff which makes it a lot easier since the software and interface is all the same.

Intels iGPU driver package isn’t nearly as good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah steamOS is going to have to work just like Windows with auto updates and driver updates.

Mercifully, updating Linux is a much smoother and more streamlined process than updating windows.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's using Linux, so the hardware drivers all come with the kernel. AMD has been pretty good about getting their stuff upstreamed and even if not, there's no way all that code is going to be closed.

The userland stuff is going to be bog standard mesa, so that's easy.

Most Linux distributions update in the background and tell you to reboot afterwards if a new kernel version was installed, and that's all you ever need to worry about.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Old SteamOS wasn't a particularly well maintained distro, usually pretty far behind upstream Debian and pretty rarely got updates. That's one thing that Valve doesn't have a great track record on. Then again there's zero reason to use SteamOS right now over just installing Steam on your own Linux install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Outlets besides IGN are previewing the Steam Deck now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L2j_pFgEuk

They compare the regular vs. etched glass at 3:25