Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Target Practice posted:

oh lol well that can get all the way hosed

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, it's pretty stupid poo poo that these are single season only, and that you HAVE to get them ALL to use them as transmogs. Classic Activision.
My first exposure to Activision was MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat so I had an unfairly positive view of them for a long time.:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
The ethereal items look like rear end, anyway. The only reason you'd want the transmogs is if you're one of the "I want things other people don't have, even though I won't use them" people. Which admittedly seems to be a fairly rapidly growing number of gamers.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Will the transmogs be available to use by subsequent seasonal characters? If they're available to non-seasonal only I don't see the point of earning them for a game mode no one plays.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

The ethereal items look like rear end, anyway. The only reason you'd want the transmogs is if you're one of the "I want things other people don't have, even though I won't use them" people. Which admittedly seems to be a fairly rapidly growing number of gamers.

This was the conclusion I came to as well. They're all just existing skins with a green glow added.

DARPA posted:

Will the transmogs be available to use by subsequent seasonal characters? If they're available to non-seasonal only I don't see the point of earning them for a game mode no one plays.

If you complete the feat of strength and collect all 21 transmogs, then yes, they'll be permanently available for both seasonal and non-seasonal play going forward.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat I really hoped Ethereals were getting baked into the game like the Follower changes… seems like kind of a waste to design and “balance” 21 new items that are only in the game for 3-4 months…

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
But they are not "balanced" in anyway, literally would be best in slot for every character making everything else even more obsolete, that's why their limited to a season, throw some random OP poo poo together that won't matter in the long run, finish by lunch, then good for another 3-4 months before next season.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Im_Special posted:

But they are not "balanced" in anyway, literally would be best in slot for every character making everything else even more obsolete, that's why their limited to a season, throw some random OP poo poo together that won't matter in the long run, finish by lunch, then good for another 3-4 months before next season.

More like finish by lunch and then good for the next labor walk out to protest managent.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Still hosed up to exclude console players. We already can't use teleportation spells effectively.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tubgoat posted:

Still hosed up to exclude console players. We already can't use teleportation spells effectively.

Console players don’t get these changes? Did they at least get follower changes?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tubgoat posted:

What are you talking about? I've been playing exclusively on Switch for years, we get absolutely everything. The console version of Diablo 3 is essentially the main version of the game, it was actually the console team's director that saved the game and brought it back from the brink of failure.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
This is like the 3rd time I mistook an "upgrade" piece for Raekor or Wastes and sharded my old item only to find out I no longer have my 6 piece bonus. Sets look too dang similar.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I wonder how many D2R preorders these crazy ethereals have earned them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
every time i think about buying D2R i remember i have to play it without a maphack and no thx

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Don't get me wrong, Diablo III: Eternal Collection for Nintendo Switch is a masterpiece of a game but a joystick does NOT have the same functionality as a mouse when using Leap or Falling Sword or Teleport to cheese logistics/combat.

And it's hosed up to be excluded from being able to cheese the (needlessly restrictive!) achievement conditions because I, personally, don't have 400 hours a week to dedicate to playing this game. Hell, last season I topped out at starting T16 rifts and have never gone beyond GR72, let alone all these crazy numbers purported casuals are achieving seemingly effortlessly.

bamhand posted:

This is like the 3rd time I mistook an "upgrade" piece for Raekor or Wastes and sharded my old item only to find out I no longer have my 6 piece bonus. Sets look too dang similar.
I'll drink to that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think the fundamental way games are hosted differing between console and PC has very little to do with the hacked in collect-athon, it is certainly not what i would call being excluded.

what do you want them to do, add some kind of selector for game level to consoles to make this thing easier? here's my idea: they shouldn't have done this dumb rear end unlock in the first place. it's pure poo poo

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Aardvark! posted:

i think the fundamental way games are hosted differing between console and PC has very little to do with the hacked in collect-athon, it is certainly not what i would call being excluded.

what do you want them to do, add some kind of selector for game level to consoles to make this thing easier? here's my idea: they shouldn't have done this dumb rear end unlock in the first place. it's pure poo poo

I want the option of having visibly-glowy items if PC players get them also. <:mad:>

But yeah, this is one sorry excuse for a season gimmick. Go back to "double goblins" and "omni-cube" or "bonus cube," you fucks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ethereals are a cool concept that change the game more meaningfully than another round of double goblins, it's entirely on you if you get bent out of shape pursuing some meaningless achievement.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
No, either give us the loving transmog for the hyper-rare items we actually manage to collect OR don't loving bother with it at all. All this is is teabagging casuals.

Double goblins could actually be experienced by people who don't play seasonal Diablo III at the same rate as raid-attuning WoW players.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think you'll find most people are actually thoroughly enjoying this season because the ethereal weapons are OP as hell and drop all the time

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Ethereals give casuals (like me) the ability to wtf obliterate GR90 and such instead of getting stuck at 65 or whatever and moving on. That's a lot more noteworthy and memorable than double goblins. And as a casual, why the hell would I care about some more transmogs? Maybe if you're also ocd.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Paragon 79 and a level 20 and I have yet to find one, I think y'all are experiencing statistically-improbable droprates.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm going to suggest that your sample size (1 you, with a Paragon level you reach about 30 seconds after hitting level 70) is perhaps too incomplete to accurately assess ethereal droprates.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

a joystick does NOT have the same functionality as a mouse when using Leap or Falling Sword or Teleport to cheese logistics/combat.

And it's hosed up to be excluded from being able to cheese the (needlessly restrictive!) achievement conditions because I, personally, don't have 400 hours a week to dedicate to playing this game. Hell, last season I topped out at starting T16 rifts and have never gone beyond GR72, let alone all these crazy numbers purported casuals are achieving seemingly effortlessly.

Obviously joysticks won't be as functional as a precision pointing device like a mouse. You knew that when you bought it. I did, too. Obviously a game primarily designed for PC isn't going to be as optimal on a portable device. I'm not sure what the complaint there is.

I play it on Switch sometimes, but I always come back to PC for the best experience.

As for not being able to cheese an achievement for (lovely looking) transmogs... You're making way too big a deal about it. Your life probably won't be significantly diminished by the lack of getting an achievement in a nine year old game.

I'm getting flashbacks to the people who lost it when it was revealed that closed beta testers would get the "One of the chosen" feat of strength before the game was released. That was wild.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I've gotten two and I'm paragon 600 :shrug:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

No, either give us the loving transmog for the hyper-rare items we actually manage to collect OR don't loving bother with it at all. All this is is teabagging casuals.

Double goblins could actually be experienced by people who don't play seasonal Diablo III at the same rate as raid-attuning WoW players.

Buddy you can be exceptionally casual, play seasons, and see/do everything.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
achievements are a disease

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to the people who lost it when it was revealed that closed beta testers would get the "One of the chosen" feat of strength before the game was released. That was wild.
Lmao. Calling it a "feat of strength" is a stretch though. Yes, I'm aware they are called that.

Anyway, when reading multiple posters reporting multiple ethereals before reaching 70, my dumb brain assumed they weren't "snapshotting" because I hadn't yet grokked the term.

Sorry for causing so much distress, everyone. :saddowns:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Like it takes very little effort and maybe 30-40 hours (probably a lot less, I'm just rounding up to be generous) over 3-4 months to end a season at p1000 and in the time it takes to do that you can do everything the season has to offer.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My most precious feat of strength is "slay Diablo on inferno."

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

At a minimum I think we can agree that making the transmogs all-or-nothing, along with a very annoying process to get them all, is an unnecessarily convoluted design decision. Why do you not unlock the transmogs for the ethereals you get? Why ALSO make it time-limited? Are these somehow beneficial for the player?

I know I'm not going to go to the effort of getting all the eths so I have quieted the growling discontent of my OCD, but I can also absolutely understand being bothered by it.

I'm so loving excited for D2R. People on the fence, I recommend playing it as a slow-moving dungeon crawler. Playing self-found or hardcore really helps you get in that mindset. If you wanna slay hordes of enemies in seconds with perfect gear, D3 already exists and is great

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

achievements are a disease

Legitimately one of the worst things to happen to games. Turned a hell of a lot of people who play for enjoyment into "completionists" who play past burnout for arbitrary validation or to increase a number to compete with strangers. They are completely unnecessary but rope so many people in. For all of the poo poo companies get for their manipulative tactics with microtransactions, it's always seemed weird to me that achievements didn't get the same critical treatment.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I have less than 1000 paragon even in offline after all my season consolidation and I feel like I've gotten a hell of a lot out of D3, and I've been playing since day 1 and don't feel like I've really missed out on anything.

This season will probably make me tap out faster that any other, though. I've gotten the worst luck I think I've ever had in this game.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Question - in terms of collecting the 21 different Ethereals, do I need to have them all in my stash at the same time, or can safely shard the useless ones and they still count as found?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think achievements are not themselves a good or bad thing, but that it falls to the developers to make them good or bad achievements.

But I also miss when games like Jak & Daxter or Ratchet & Clank or Grand Theft Auto would reward you with secret weapons or special cheat modes for completing “achievements”. When developers started acting like popping the achievement was the reward was when they started to feel cheap.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Jackson Taus posted:

Question - in terms of collecting the 21 different Ethereals, do I need to have them all in my stash at the same time, or can safely shard the useless ones and they still count as found?

you can check your progress on the feat in the achievements menu where they each get checked off as you find them so it shouldn't matter

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mr Scumbag posted:

Legitimately one of the worst things to happen to games. Turned a hell of a lot of people who play for enjoyment into "completionists" who play past burnout for arbitrary validation or to increase a number to compete with strangers. They are completely unnecessary but rope so many people in. For all of the poo poo companies get for their manipulative tactics with microtransactions, it's always seemed weird to me that achievements didn't get the same critical treatment.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I have less than 1000 paragon even in offline after all my season consolidation and I feel like I've gotten a hell of a lot out of D3, and I've been playing since day 1 and don't feel like I've really missed out on anything.

This season will probably make me tap out faster that any other, though. I've gotten the worst luck I think I've ever had in this game.

I agree with you in principle, but there’s two main things that keep cheevos from getting the ire they probably deserve:
1. They don’t cost anything but time, so they’ll never be as egregious as loot boxes or similar poo poo.
2. They allow companies to take stock of how players engage with the content and allow them to tune games or make changes to future titles without having to send a million player surveys.

That said, I think achievements and chasing achievements is dumb and whenever someone mentions plat’ing a game I roll my eyes so loving hard.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I agree with you in principle, but there’s two main things that keep cheevos from getting the ire they probably deserve:
1. They don’t cost anything but time, so they’ll never be as egregious as loot boxes or similar poo poo.
2. They allow companies to take stock of how players engage with the content and allow them to tune games or make changes to future titles without having to send a million player surveys.

That said, I think achievements and chasing achievements is dumb and whenever someone mentions plat’ing a game I roll my eyes so loving hard.

I kind of agree, but the second point is a bit redundant since developers can still build-in their own mechanisms to report on those stats without surfacing them as achievements, and surely do, if you read articles on player engagement and their Privacy Statements. I think achievements were probably originally designed as a fun thing to add on top of the game itself, but once developers and publishers realized how engaged people became with them, they were leveraged as a way of boosting engagement and FOMO and now they have become a fairly critical part of game design.

I'm also pretty sure that Steam achievements are (or at least at some time were) easily unlocked using third party software, so that would make the associated data being reported back to devs pretty unreliable (at least on PC) without their own invisible metrics that are undoubtedly being sent. I suppose they can filter some of that out based on times achievements were unlocked, but it seems pretty needless given that they can get that data "invisibly".

Point 1 still bothers me a bit because (in my opinion) it pollutes Steam with negative reviews from people who have played hundreds to thousands of hours of a game because they feel compelled to keep playing past burnout to get all the achievements. That attitude in general feeds a lot into the growing negativity when discussing games online and it gets a bit tiring and frustrating.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 30, 2021

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Only games I've ever got plat on were games I got close to everything unlocked on just my normal playing so I put in a little effort to get the last <5. I can't imagine trying to plat everything you play.

Hell I have several thousand hours in D3 and still didn't unlock all the achievements.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
I’m paragon 7xx after being boosted to 500ish by a friend, I’ve found a half dozen ethereals and it seems like it will not be hard at all to find them for all classes, even without snapshotting. After getting one you can farm GR90 with any class pretty easily.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Really, it's the "collect ALL of them" thing that gets me. I don't want an achievement, I want transmog versions of the items I collect to appear in my transmog collection.

On that note, is there more StarCraft armor than just the head and shoulders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
not in diablo