Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Butternubs posted:

Counterpoint:

After the collapse of society, the UK is still a relatively cool, fertile Island. If you survive the resource wars, It's probably a good place to restart.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-and-i...ggests-12366136

quote:

The UK and Ireland are among five nations most likely to survive a collapse of global civilisation, researchers have said.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Provisional Labour

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ffs

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1420814960670740484?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

blokes rock

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1420872828489027584?s=20

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

just like they said America would do well from Coronavirus and Africa would do bad. All predictions suffer from present-bias.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I would not have put Australia on that list myself

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The UK and Ireland are among five nations most likely to survive a collapse of global civilisation, UK researchers have said.

There, fixed.

e: Actually reading the list the fact that the other nations are either colonies or close associates of Britain makes it even funnier. The superior Anglo will be the last bastion of civilisation, clearly.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 03:19 on Jul 30, 2021

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

multijoe posted:

I would not have put Australia on that list myself

The joke is that they're islands brown people would have a harder time getting to.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the uk has one of the worst topsoil erosion problems on the planet (kickstart the industrial revolution first, see what happens) in combination with a population too dense to actually feed itself with available land, which is part of the reason why we are import so much food. even before you start breaking down some longer term concerns with their projection (ie, sure hope those climate estimates take into consider goofy but entirely possible outcomes like the gulf stream changing behaviour in an unpredictable way!) if the worlds globalised shipping stops we’d be hosed.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CoolCab posted:

the uk has one of the worst topsoil erosion problems on the planet (kickstart the industrial revolution first, see what happens) in combination with a population too dense to actually feed itself with available land, which is part of the reason why we are import so much food. even before you start breaking down some longer term concerns with their projection (ie, sure hope those climate estimates take into consider goofy but entirely possible outcomes like the gulf stream changing behaviour in an unpredictable way!) if the worlds globalised shipping stops we’d be hosed.

How optimistic of you to not consider that all this fresh water being dumped into the oceans would interrupt or kill the north Atlantic current

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

since Delta is doubtless about to ravage this lovely island, can anyone itt recommend a place where I can buy a good respirator

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Epic High Five posted:

How optimistic of you to not consider that all this fresh water being dumped into the oceans would interrupt or kill the north Atlantic current
Global warming + shutdown of the North Atlantic Current = Northern Europe remains just right, rather than getting too cold or too hot.

It's basic math.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

lol at the nation who flooded emergency services with calls after a transport glitch caused KFC to run out of chicken being best placed to survive global collapse.

If everything we know collapsed tomorrow there'd be people in sub-Saharan Africa and the Amazon basin living their best lives.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it wasn't a glitch, they nickel-and-dimed themselves into it by deliberately outsourcing the supply chain from their established foodservice contractor to the cheapest bidder who had no experience in cold chain and immediately hosed it up

who could possibly have foreseen this, etc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Boondocks clip where they're out of chicken needs to be dubbed over with British accents

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

kecske posted:

it wasn't a glitch, they nickel-and-dimed themselves into it by deliberately outsourcing the supply chain from their established foodservice contractor to the cheapest bidder who had no experience in cold chain and immediately hosed it up

who could possibly have foreseen this, etc

Thanks for the correction. I didn't remember the details of it as I spent most of that day panic-dialling the police.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol. Lmao

https://twitter.com/Joe_Marshall0/status/1420694710604140554?s=19

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Venomous posted:

since Delta is doubtless about to ravage this lovely island, can anyone itt recommend a place where I can buy a good respirator

Got mine from here https://www.arco.co.uk/

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Lol at wanting to live so much you are prepared to wear a respirator everywhere you go

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yikes

https://twitter.com/LaurenJTownsend/status/1420843929768013829?s=19

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is Coyne the right wing creep?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah the one who Murdoch is praising heavily

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Lol at wanting to live so much you are prepared to wear a respirator everywhere you go

Im Darth Vader

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Venomous posted:

If you're friends with a government minister you can buy one direct along with an entire ward.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

https://twitter.com/liberal_josie/status/1420855358835372033?s=19

lol

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
it is possible to get disputes resolved, at least to a certain extent, by picking up the phone and calling someone. for evidence of its effectiveness, look at the ira

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Same here.

Just upgraded to a 3M HF-800 with speech diaphragm, highly recommended.

Very cool that Delta is here and this entire island is giving up even the most basic NPIs, great to know that no one cares if those of us who are vulnerable die a miserable, preventable death.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

thorsilver posted:

Same here.

Just upgraded to a 3M HF-800 with speech diaphragm, highly recommended.

Very cool that Delta is here and this entire island is giving up even the most basic NPIs, great to know that no one cares if those of us who are vulnerable die a miserable, preventable death.

Yeah I posted this just before Freedom Day

quote:

Honestly the whole mask thing where I wear a mask to protect you, you wear a mask to protect me - if fuckwits are going to stop holding up their side of the bargain I'm going to switch over to my 3M double respirator with P3 particulate filters on - My mask protects me, I breathe out unfiltered air and gently caress you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

most everyone i've seen in the shops is still wearing masks so I'm going to assume this is a southerner thing because southerners are heathens

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

most everyone i've seen in the shops is still wearing masks so I'm going to assume this is a southerner thing because southerners are heathens

i would have said that a week ago but here it's just cratered. as people see less and less they're bothering less and less.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

CoolCab posted:

i would have said that a week ago but here it's just cratered. as people see less and less they're bothering less and less.

Masks in shops is still the rule over here in Wales.
People in pubs etc though aren't wearing them in my town.
And most people are dropping them outdoors even when the street is crowded.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's gone full gammon

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1421097163057242119?s=20

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He's really going all Charles Kennedy lol

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Masks in shops is still the rule over here in Wales.
People in pubs etc though aren't wearing them in my town.
And most people are dropping them outdoors even when the street is crowded.

exactly the same in Scotland. Harder to trust people these days.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Almost everyone when I went to the supermarket earlier was wearing a mask

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the hospitals will clog, again, there will be threats of international response, again, and we'll get dragged into more restrictions kicking and screaming. probably never full lockdown but were i a gambling man i'd put money on masks coming back at least.

K9
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1421052906573283332

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
god I wish we weren’t an evil country I’d loving love to work in space command

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I guess it's the natural evolution of the Royal Navy having more admirals than ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

some actual good news

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1421110177865080835?s=20