Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This is coward talk. You can move Brutus as much as you like.

Vaal Oversoul down, you stand by the door to wait for it to open -- boom, it knocks you back and stuns you as Brutus Kool-Aid mans through!
You blast that weird cannon thing into the Beast, ready to dive into the literal bowels of a mountain -- but before you can Brutus leap slams your rear end and it's boss battle time!
You've finally managed to down Sirius on a cobbled-together jalopy of a build, you lean down to grab the Awakener's Orb that dropped -- nope, Awakened Brutus pops out and it's time for the new final battle!

Hire me GGG

Only if his approach fades in the Hallowed Ground music every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Further, the idea that Weak Auras somehow plays the game for you is equally dumb - it's moving information that is already available from a less accessible point to a more accessible point, and that's pretty wholly what it does for 99% of it's userbase.

Yes, making an ability light up whenever you meet a resource threshold and have a buff up is "moving information that is already available" in maybe the most pedantic, technically correct way possible

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boredsatellite posted:

Man how did i tolerate killing malachai over and over back then before getting to maps

It's why I get pissed when GGG wants me to play the campaign more lol. Probably 80% of my time in the game total was spent in the freaking 1-3 and 1-4 three times years and it's burned into my brain.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Man how did i tolerate killing malachai over and over back then before getting to maps

Novelty. The campaign is fine, although I agree that it could be cut down in length at this point, but we've done it to death already. I remember hearing similar grumblings for a while before they added acts 6-10.

Edit: 3.0 was almost four years ago, holy poo poo

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 30, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Awww saw my favorite build creator updated with a new video today and:

Shame. I hope someone finds a decent use for this thing.
Info: He manages well against Shaper and Uber Elder but dies to Uber Atziri's reflect and bosses that teleport too much, like Maven and Sirus, just don't get full hits.
When he was first revealed I had a feeling he wouldn't be able to keep up with the moving bosses. Considering he's not a mapping gem, if he can't manage bossing either, I wonder what GGG will try to do to bolster him up, if anything.

Clockwerk posted:

Echoing what others have said, it’s fine to do the campaign once or twice a league, I guess. But it really is just looking for the next door 90% of the time, whereas in maps I’m there to kill all the monsters and do a dozen varying league mechanics
Absolutely nailing exactly why the campaign is so boring compared to maps. I'd rather have fun trying to kill everything and having league mechanics act as surprise gameplay to deal with than just yawn my way through Where's Waldo's Door.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 30, 2021

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I leveled with Reaper and skeletons from 30 through low white maps before giving up on it.

It's just not good enough for the huge opportunity cost of running it-- you're giving up the huge clear potential of spectres AND reaper requires heavy micromanagement to keep it at full output, pressing the special attack every 4 seconds forever and constantly directing it towards the densest packs because its AoE is not great. Typically in games you expect kits that require extra mental energy to end up clearly more powerful than the more "automatic" options, but in this case Reaper struggles to even meet par.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Awww saw my favorite build creator updated with a new video today and:

Shame. I hope someone finds a decent use for this thing.

Kay def does not seem to be having fun this league honestly. She's super sad reaper sucks rear end.

Also thanks to the person that suggested going to channel 6666 for getting SO specs. Got there and the channel is nice for getting necro tips

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Arzachel posted:

Yes, making an ability light up whenever you meet a resource threshold and have a buff up is "moving information that is already available" in maybe the most pedantic, technically correct way possible
It's also not an expression of skill to be able to hit a button when two conditions have been met on a screen, regardless of whether there's an external tool telling you about it or not. That's trained ape poo poo.

If anything, the real negative of something like Weak Auras is that it exposes how shallow the gameplay is over time---you are pressing X, then Y, then Z. Maybe A if two conditions are met and you want to receive your pellet from the nice box. It also wouldn't really be necessary in PoE 99% of the time where your build is "1 button to move 1-2 buttons to deal damage, probably in the same sequence every time," and where in the course of making your build you've already confronted, and embraced, how few buttons you'll press and when.

Now a WA that actually tells you all the poo poo going on in this game, like "hey you have corrupted blood on you, use that flask" would be nice, but given that this is the very same league where they added a flask automation modifier, it might not be necessary. One could argue the game already offered to dumb itself down past where you were going to take it!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so bored with my Raider already that I might make another character. It's hard though. A lot of the build ideas I thought would work good but needed a little more refinement got kneecapped. But probably Slam Occultist is even better than it used to be, although weaker than 3.14, cuz of the lowlife stuff. On the other hand they keep nerfing curses for some reason (to reign in curse bots, maybe?) and the best chaos dot/curse leveling strategies got annihilated between Bane losing the curse tag and Spellslinger.

I'll probably just play other games instead and hope 3.16 is better. I'm getting pretty tired of beta testing poe2 without any of the upsides of poe2 like new gem systems or smart rolling.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

His sexy, sexy music?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Absolutely nailing exactly why the campaign is so boring compared to maps. I'd rather have fun trying to kill everything and having league mechanics act as surprise gameplay to deal with than just yawn my way through Where's Waldo's Door.

Yeah, every time you go through the campaign it's taking the exact same route you took every other run and any variance or optional content you come across is just hurting your run because any reward will be usually trash and it's just making you take longer to reach maps and your reward is just outleveling the challenge of the areas you are in if you engage with more then 20% of the stuff in the area.

It's just running to the next load screen that you have a good idea which direction to go to find it, maps at least have variance and you actively want to engage with the random events that show up to ring more value out of your map.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
One campaign clear per league would be okay. A toggle to skip to maps for subsequent characters would be so much better. As it is now every time I think about starting a new league I just meh out of it because I've done the dumb campaign so many times.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It really shouldn't be difficult to program tier 1 maps to scale in levels up to a point if they really want people to go through the leveling experience but not go through the story acts. I know I would rather stick my rear end in my hideout and run beaches to 68 than suffer through a vaal temple areas of the game.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It really shouldn't be difficult to program tier 1 maps to scale in levels up to a point if they really want people to go through the leveling experience but not go through the story acts. I know I would rather stick my rear end in my hideout and run beaches to 68 than suffer through a vaal temple areas of the game.

Or be killing all the mobs you see from level 1-60 because it advances you towards maps, rather than just killing a handful of magic/rare packs to keep up with the zone level, while just sprinting through the zones because you get your real progress from walking.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I don't even mind leveling itself I just hate that its boring. If I had all the same league mechanics as t1 maps, even if it was only in-map stuff and not extras like heist or delve or whatever I'd be happy. If you're lucky in the campaign you get some early Einhar pops, which as much as he pwns, is one of the more boring mechanics. Especially because in the campaign its just like 'oh, look, a rare that's even harder to kill than normal, except its not worth using because the ilevel will be so low if i do'. At least the essence monsters give me poo poo I end up using sometimes. The base game, as in just plain mobs, is pretty boring, and I don't think they'll ever fix it by making bosses do more stuff.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good news they are making a whole new campaign

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God just shut the gently caress up dude.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

Problem solved for the next 2-3 leagues

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

Can't wait to play it in 2038.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Devor posted:

Problem solved for the next 2-3 leagues

sorry, did you mean the first 2-3 days after its released?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BREAKING: POE 2 is now a VR exclusive. "Now I can make them *actually pick up all the items*", Chris was heard to say in between fits of maniacal laughter.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im sure the new campaign is going to have poo poo zones like prisons and vaal temples because someone at GGG (Chris) thinks that there has to be truly poo poo maps so that the good ones stand out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vaal temple can be lovely yeah

That’s the only one that stands out to me

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I know nobody really cares about PoE 1's campaign plot anymore (it is kinda bland and shows its disjointed development) but I do like GGG's writing of late and I probably will take my time for the first playthrough of 2. It's me, I'm the weirdo who looks forward to getting new fragments translated by Dannig.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is a good thread from Reddit on getting ailment immune

https://www.reddit.com/r/PathOfExileBuilds/comments/oui91s/70_elemental_ailment_avoidance_in_this_part_of/

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

GGG's writing owns, because it's a super grimdark setting where you more or less bring about the apocalypse, but instead of going "You fool, you absolute dingus, you have made this lovely world even shittier" the game basically goes "Hey, the gods have bodies, right? I wonder if they bleed?" and it turns out they do so you murder the world into a better place.

More dark fantasy settings need to lean into the idea that yea, the world is an awful place, but that applies to the assholes ruling it too.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

dyzzy posted:

I know nobody really cares about PoE 1's campaign plot anymore (it is kinda bland and shows its disjointed development) but I do like GGG's writing of late and I probably will take my time for the first playthrough of 2. It's me, I'm the weirdo who looks forward to getting new fragments translated by Dannig.

Honestly their voice acting is very good, pretty consistently. It's clear they take a lot of time and effort on the story. I almost wish it was available to you in other ways than sitting in town, which is obviously lava.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Big Mad Drongo posted:

GGG's writing owns, because it's a super grimdark setting where you more or less bring about the apocalypse, but instead of going "You fool, you absolute dingus, you have made this lovely world even shittier" the game basically goes "Hey, the gods have bodies, right? I wonder if they bleed?" and it turns out they do so you murder the world into a better place.

More dark fantasy settings need to lean into the idea that yea, the world is an awful place, but that applies to the assholes ruling it too.

Murdering the gods just makes it worse though!

Sirus blows up the city you saved in A10 during his fight!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

Oh wow lol I'm super casual and never make it to Sirius. I thought you left this world a decent place and hosed off to other, more nightmarish planes of existence with better loot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

Well that's hardly my...okay it is totally my fault.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Fried Watermelon posted:

See! Even the lore says the best move is to not play the game!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
"You want the Atlas? Take it. It's yours. But Oriath? Oriath I will burn to the ground."

whoa wait buddy no I don't even want the atlas!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

"You want the Atlas? Take it. It's yours. But Oriath? Oriath I will burn to the ground."

Between this and "How boring and small" I'm convinced that Sirus is just someone who played the campaign about twenty times too often.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

Between this and "How boring and small" I'm convinced that Sirus is just someone who played the campaign about twenty times too often.

It's canon that he had to map for multiple centuries while carrying a printer for Zana

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

MMF Freeway posted:

The atlas is all we want, the campaign must die! they ALL must die! we do not even want the atlas!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
To him we are just another rogue exile there to be killed and looted.

I like rogue exiles and there should be more of them. Maybe they could send you whispers to ask to trade for poo poo to lure you into traps.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Oh wow lol I'm super casual and never make it to Sirius. I thought you left this world a decent place and hosed off to other, more nightmarish planes of existence with better loot.

Theres actually a different town hub after you defeat him with all the surviving NPCs being very sad too lol

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

It also triggers this dialogue with Zana:

lady, there are at least three more awakening levels to go

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Flavahbeast posted:

It also triggers this dialogue with Zana:

lady, there are at least three more awakening levels to go

Narrator: He did not leave the atlas alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone ever seen a bug where you import a build into PoE and the medium cluster jewels just... don't branch out into anything? Is there a fix for that on the PoB fork?

External Organs posted:

To him we are just another rogue exile there to be killed and looted.

I like rogue exiles and there should be more of them. Maybe they could send you whispers to ask to trade for poo poo to lure you into traps.

Rogue Exiles should have a Dark Souls style thing where it can surprise-summons a volunteer player via PVP into your instance to gank you. If they kill you on Hardcore it doesn't count as dying, but if they indirectly cause your death through screen spam, it does.