Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
UK space command is just that homemade rocket full of cream crackers from Wallace and gromit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

How come it's always Labour politicians hauled before the beak for various misdemeanours - guilty or not - whereas the mega-crook tories never seem to get charged with anything.

:stroking-chin-and- wondering:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How come it's always Labour politicians hauled before the beak for various misdemeanours - guilty or not - whereas the mega-crook tories never seem to get charged with anything.

A sitting Tory has recently been charged with noncing

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Cameron and Boris just got investigated for dodgy lobbying but got let off, what a surprise

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Venomous posted:

since Delta is doubtless about to ravage this lovely island, can anyone itt recommend a place where I can buy a good respirator

there's good info in the c-spam covid thread who have been on the respirator train for awhile. most of the info is for usa, but if you ask in the thread someone might have info more relevant for an inhabitant of the cursed isles

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Continuity RCP posted:

A sitting Tory has recently been charged with noncing

Well that's just a bit too far to keep under wraps.

Not that they wouldn't try mind you.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
remember the big list of "sexual indiscretions"

or that whip who said that they'd "help out" MPs getting caught doing paedophile poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjJeQSfFhj8

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'm about 80% certain there was a paedo MP under Thatcher, and it came out a while ago that a) everyone knew and b) there are memos where Thatcher has scrawled a response along the lines of "prob shouldnt let russia find out about this"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think it was quickly covered up but it was that Thatcher didn't care as it meant the minister was always under her control

Anyway the labour party of tower Hamlets were the people who decided to take apsana begum to court over the council house and her abusive ex husband is here

https://twitter.com/RNMacqueen/status/1421122877101858820?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

In other labour right are at it again

https://twitter.com/Sabrina_Huck/status/1421159757126279171?s=19

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Pounded in the poll by the embodiement of a progressive answer to the need for national self-belief and civic pride

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Hey quick question in case anyone here knows, but can you be fired in the UK for trying to organise a union?

Most google results say that you can't be fired for trade union activity or striking under such, but I'm just wondering about trying to organise a small scale union with workers within a specific place.

If I got hired at a fish and ship shop and tried to organise a small union with the workers there could I be fired?

(This is all theoretical, I am without work right now)

Edit: I understand it's probably a stupid question in terms of practicality, just wondering about the law

Lor has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Jul 30, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
officially you have a claim if you can demonstrate they discriminated against you for your trade union status or beliefs but unofficially a lovely boss knows many lovely ways around that problem. if you can get a majority of the workforce (total, not situational) to all join a union there are mechanisms to force an employer to recognize a union, and once a union is recognized management has certain legal obligations (pretty weak ones if i'm honest) about allowing trade union representatives to sit in on meetings, poo poo like that. this process can be very difficult and i'll be honest i'm much, much less familiar with extremely small businesses where the laws and enforcement are much more lax.

you could contact an IWW rep or something and ask for a chat, they'll rep anyone although they're almost never recognized. you could also join and consult a more mainstream union. i suspect hospitality or food service workers have larger unions that may be willing to at least talk to you, look at the mcstrike people maybe? my experience is all in public sector work.

but, know that you do this at a risk because dumb bosses hate unions and smart bosses hate and fear unions. they will lie to your face. there's a sticked TU thread you could ask in although there aren't many UK comrades in there (although there could be). no scabs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lor posted:

Hey quick question in case anyone here knows, but can you be fired in the UK for trying to organise a union?

Most google results say that you can't be fired for trade union activity or striking under such, but I'm just wondering about trying to organise a small scale union with workers within a specific place.

If I got hired at a fish and ship shop and tried to organise a small union with the workers there could I be fired?

(This is all theoretical, I am without work right now)

Edit: I understand it's probably a stupid question in terms of practicality, just wondering about the law

I don't think it is BUT as far as I know you can be dismissed for any reason and no reason by an employer if you have been with them under 2 years.
(I stand to be corrected though!).

https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/pay-and-contracts/restrictions/can-my-employer-prevent-me-becoming-member-trade-union

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Is Uk Space Command based out of a unit on a light industrial estate on the outskirts of a small town?

And those supposed senior military officers are all particularly unimpressive-looking too, the nerds.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't think it is BUT as far as I know you can be dismissed for any reason and no reason by an employer if you have been with them under 2 years.

https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/pay-and-contracts/restrictions/can-my-employer-prevent-me-becoming-member-trade-union

There's a handful of protected exemptions (maternity leave, whistleblowing, direct discrimination, unsafe working conditions) from the 2 year rule, that said I don't know if union activity is included. And even if it is you have to prove that that's the specific reason why they let you go in court, which isn't exactly easy.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Jul 30, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i didn't realise soldier F got named under parliamentary privilege the other week

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jose posted:

i didn't realise soldier F got named under parliamentary privilege the other week

Yeah, David Cleary.
The soldier that some of the other soldiers called a mad bastard at the time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Spangly A posted:

I'm about 80% certain there was a paedo MP under Thatcher, and it came out a while ago that a) everyone knew and b) there are memos where Thatcher has scrawled a response along the lines of "prob shouldnt let russia find out about this"

Cyril Smith
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_Smith

quote:

In March 2015, Cabinet Office papers were released confirming that Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was made aware of allegations against Smith before he was knighted in 1988.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

CoolCab posted:

officially you have a claim if you can demonstrate they discriminated against you for your trade union status or beliefs but unofficially a lovely boss knows many lovely ways around that problem. if you can get a majority of the workforce (total, not situational) to all join a union there are mechanisms to force an employer to recognize a union, and once a union is recognized management has certain legal obligations (pretty weak ones if i'm honest) about allowing trade union representatives to sit in on meetings, poo poo like that. this process can be very difficult and i'll be honest i'm much, much less familiar with extremely small businesses where the laws and enforcement are much more lax.

you could contact an IWW rep or something and ask for a chat, they'll rep anyone although they're almost never recognized. you could also join and consult a more mainstream union. i suspect hospitality or food service workers have larger unions that may be willing to at least talk to you, look at the mcstrike people maybe? my experience is all in public sector work.

but, know that you do this at a risk because dumb bosses hate unions and smart bosses hate and fear unions. they will lie to your face. there's a sticked TU thread you could ask in although there aren't many UK comrades in there (although there could be). no scabs.

Roger - just to reiterate this is all a thought experiment and I'm just interested in what is possible.

I've mostly worked in the public sector and there were large unions for that but I was thinking about the possibilities of organising on a more small and local level, with small businesses, and it seems like that might be a dead end (unless most of the (?)10 employees have been employed over 2 years). And as you said, with lovely bosses knowing the lovely systems, the system is really not set up for workers to succeed in organising on this level right now. Good to know!

Having said that....

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is this true? I've heard of "probationary periods" but never this 2 year rule. That would suck if it's the case.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Lor posted:

Is this true? I've heard of "probationary periods" but never this 2 year rule. That would suck if it's the case.

https://www.stephens-scown.co.uk/employment/employment-rights-the-two-year-rule/

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

gently caress me in the ear, welp, that sucks. Thanks for the info though!

Edit: The inevitability of violent revolution grows stronger and stronger

Lor has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Jul 30, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Some of the article is pretty funny:

quote:

As such, that employee with less than two years’ service, making their employer tear their hair out with their constant complaints about perceived health and safety risks, might not be the risk free dismissal they seem to be at first glance.

Oh how terrible, lmbo.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Jul 30, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Conversely small employers won't know very much at all about the law around dealing with unions and if you can get most of the small workforce committed to the idea before anyone gets caught out then the bosses have a problem on their hands whether they like it or not.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
if you're good, your firing could be the flashpoint issue

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1421214764735291400?s=20

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
based on his recent appearances it seems like he drank most of labour's finances. never thought i'd be complaining about starmer being too red.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Uhhh did they not already have this set up before they instituted Operation: Left and Grassroots Purge?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Epic High Five posted:

Uhhh did they not already have this set up before they instituted Operation: Left and Grassroots Purge?

Lol no they bankrolled his election campaign to get the Corbynistas out and then never committed any more because the job was done.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Epic High Five posted:

i see you've not much experience with the labour right

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

The only big donor they had lined up had to pull out after it turned out he had been probably breaking the law last time and the only reason there was no conviction is because of kieth as dpp

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Haha, eat poo poo

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Thatcher also knew about Ted Heath being a huge loving nonce and told him to be more subtle about it because he was being so blatent and was such a huge liability

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

oh my god the Labour Right is like twice as dumb and craven as even red state Dems where I'm at, absolutely incredible, a national party that makes the Florida Dems look like smooth and efficient operators

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wasn't part of the big push to get people to file lawsuits against themselves to really make sure Corbyn was hosed? and now they're the ones on the hook for those lawsuits?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Epic High Five posted:

wasn't part of the big push to get people to file lawsuits against themselves to really make sure Corbyn was hosed? and now they're the ones on the hook for those lawsuits?

Given that the membership was the largest donor base under Corbyn, they technically made leftists pay to sue themselves for their own antisemitism

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Given that the membership was the largest donor base under Corbyn, they technically made leftists pay to sue themselves for their own antisemitism

And you mean to tell me that the Corbynites are upset about this? Unthinkable

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i can't believe that nasty man jeremy cromblins keeps doing this

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quote:

MPs enjoyed a bonanza of free tickets this summer worth more than £100,000 from gambling, drinks and sporting companies as they took advantage of the government’s Covid pilot scheme for large events.

Cabinet ministers Ben Wallace and Brandon Lewis, plus the opposition leader, Keir Starmer, were among those who benefited from free tickets declared during July, with more than 35 MPs in total accepting hospitality as they took part in the research project.
lol

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/30/mps-enjoy-free-tickets-worth-100k-during-covid-large-event-pilots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1421241811490820096?s=20