Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The rating warning appears for all games. There's also a field to input dev described content. Usually it's just 'this game has blood' or whatever. the caligula devs, for whatever reason, copy/pasted the full ESRB description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lunar Suite posted:

I guess I got bamboozled - I played Paper Mario and the Origami King (where series director Naohiko Aoyama continues to piss on RPG mechanics, up to and including giving you a pseudo-partner, then kill them in front of you whilst making you watch) and the water effects in it looked like they just put actual water in the game. It was pretty darn amazing.

e: broken tag

That's the best written part in the game and one of the best moments in the Paper Mario series.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
They explain a lot of the jargon in NEO but it's much more in passing as they roll with the plot. It is very much building on the setting and ideas from the first game tho so I'd suggest maybe giving it a go (Also because it's just like...the best game).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Endorph posted:

seems like they just copy/pasted the esrb website's description, you can find stuff like that for any game. here's final fantasy xiv

For a moment I didn't realize that it was saying "here is an example of some dialogue" and thought it was the devs outright saying "Look they think with their dicks, not their heads okay theres gonna be some mature stuff" and only when I read your post i did i realize I may have been mistaken.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it would be difficult for caligula effect to be that horny even if it tried

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

seems like they just copy/pasted the esrb website's description, you can find stuff like that for any game. here's final fantasy xiv

My favorite fantasy creature: the skeleton

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

it's really funny how this whole speech about how you shouldn't judge other peoples' personal identity and presentation purely on basis of gender as if them not measuring up to your arbitrary standard of what a man/woman should be is a personal fault with them and not with you for putting up arbitrary standards is immediately followed up with a gravure photo shoot of the model for the lesbian hostess

it might be the perfect example of how sometimes, the really good bits of writing in yakuza, are an insane contrast with other parts of it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

My favorite fantasy creature: the skeleton

unironically this

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Can you jump into NEO TWEWY without finishing the first or are they directly connected?

I think it was said by the devs that NEO wasn't intended to be a completely direct sequel to the first game (as there's a different cast you're controlling this time, and the setting of the game operates under some different rules from the first) so you probably could, but there are a lot of callbacks to the first game. They aren't like vital to know or anything to understand the plot or appreciate NEO itself, but there are a lot of connections and small callbacks that'll fly over your head otherwise. There's some jargon that does go unexplained in NEO, but they generally make sure to define the vital ones at any rate.

Also the original game came out over a decade ago, and while it got ports since then, asking you to play that game to understand the new one is a bit of a big ask.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 30, 2021

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
So here's the question: is the FF3 pixel remaster... actually good? Are there any QOL upgrades, like saving anywhere, or run speed, or saving anywhere, or saving anywhere?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ace Transmuter posted:

So here's the question: is the FF3 pixel remaster... actually good? Are there any QOL upgrades, like saving anywhere, or run speed, or saving anywhere, or saving anywhere?

Yes to both

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
Also positive job rebalances, does not cost currency to switch jobs, arrows are now unlimited, and much more.

Edit: examples of job changes that I saw posted:

Hunter does not have white magic, but now has a barrage (hit group) command.
Scholar has an alchemy command that is similar to item lore from DS, which boosts potency of attack and heal items dramatically (like a difference between 300 damage and 1500 damage on an enemy that's weak to that element). Does not have white/black magic from DS, though.
Black belt has boost and kick.
Viking has a provoke command.
Dark Knight has bladeblitz which seems to work just like souleater from DS.
Bard's sing opens a submenu where the only song from the start is paean which heals the party, does not seem to depend on the harp equipped? Gotta see more.

Taborcarn fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 30, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
has anyone gotten into Fuga, aka "Kemono ENEMIES" yet, it seemed to launch with weirdly zero leadup, though RPGsite seemed to like it

the premise looked appealing enough for the forty bucks but probably not until I finish TWEWY2

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 30, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since the first game came up recently, has anyone tried Caligula 2? The English version is coming out in in fall I think but I haven't heard much about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As the only person to ever play the other two Little Bronx Tale games, I'm duty bound to play it except it appears to not be on the PS store in the EU despite allegedly having a 'worldwide' release yesterday.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually didn't know it was a series and halfway just wanted to say "Kemono ENEMIES"

The whole turn-based combat/tank management thing did seem like an appealing loop, though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

As the only person to ever play the other two Little Bronx Tale games, I'm duty bound to play it except it appears to not be on the PS store in the EU despite allegedly having a 'worldwide' release yesterday.

I think they had some kind of pricing problem on PSN and had to pull it off the store temporarily.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Acerbatus posted:

Since the first game came up recently, has anyone tried Caligula 2? The English version is coming out in in fall I think but I haven't heard much about it.

i've heard pretty good things about the writing and apparently it made a slightly bigger splash than the first one did but i've heard nothing about the gameplay so i have no idea what to expect there

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shoka in NEO TWEWY trips me up because I keep expecting her to sound like, Tharja level of sarcastic based on her design but she's like 40% more chill than I expect.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Later, losers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"Kemono ENEMIES"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po3JWVaR55k

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

Shoka in NEO TWEWY trips me up because I keep expecting her to sound like, Tharja level of sarcastic based on her design but she's like 40% more chill than I expect.

They equalized the aggro sarcasm between her and The Boss so the game isn't overrun by pure power.

After all Coco and Pinky are in the game so it's at near maximum levels of sarcasm and Queen levsls.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

has anyone gotten into Fuga, aka "Kemono ENEMIES" yet, it seemed to launch with weirdly zero leadup, though RPGsite seemed to like it

the premise looked appealing enough for the forty bucks but probably not until I finish TWEWY2

Been enjoying it so far; the visuals and aesthetics are as good as the series has ever been, and it does a good job of maintaining the balance between the Valkyria Chronicles children on a light-hearted war adventure parts and the Covenant of the Plume "no but seriously these children are going to die because you are not good enough" parts, in both the story and the gameplay. I'm only on chapter 3 and the bosses have already gotten tough enough that it only takes a couple mistakes to get into "the tank thinks you're not getting out of this without sacrificing someone" range.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

It is in fact a common feature to all the titles (so far but there's little reason to believe it won't carry over) that you have a run button by default and a Quick Save slot in addition to regular saves.

Quick Save works anywhere outside of battle, and is not deleted upon loading, so it's legit just a portable save point limited solely by there only being one slot for it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Anyone heard of Dodgeball Academia?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

The Colonel posted:

it's really funny how this whole speech about how you shouldn't judge other peoples' personal identity and presentation purely on basis of gender as if them not measuring up to your arbitrary standard of what a man/woman should be is a personal fault with them and not with you for putting up arbitrary standards is immediately followed up with a gravure photo shoot of the model for the lesbian hostess

it might be the perfect example of how sometimes, the really good bits of writing in yakuza, are an insane contrast with other parts of it.
these two things dont sound contradictory to me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not contradictory it's just insane that the scene moves directly from one of those things to the other with zero hesitation

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Colonel posted:

it's not contradictory it's just insane that the scene moves directly from one of those things to the other with zero hesitation

:thatsyakuza:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's what i loving said!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Transplanting my post for FF3 from the PYF little things in games thread. I do recommened this version of FF3.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Final Fantasy III: Pixel Remaster

I played the DS remake of this game a decade ago, never finished it, and didn't like it. It was too sluggish and too faithful to the original's flaws, while adding a bunch of tedious new ones.The guy who directed it was also in charge of the disastrous FFXIV 1.0.

What I actually wanted at the time was FF3: Dawn of Souls, a 16-bit version without the bullshit save-system of the NES. While it took 31 years we've finally gotten a faithful remake of the game. On PC you need fiddle with the fonts and Vsync at first but otherwise there are no major issues.

There's auto-battle.

You can breeze through trash-mobs at a lightning-pace by just toggling the A button.

You can save anywhere.

The original FF3 had you face an entire dungeon past the last save-point that made you fight against up to ten bosses. Die once and that's two hours wasted. The remaster gives you an auto-save and quick-save slot so there's no chance you'll lose progress.

You can change jobs without penalty.

In the original game you had to spend points acquired in battle to change jobs. In the DS version changing jobs would incur you a severe stat-penalty for a few battles. The remaster knows these systems sucked poo poo so now you can just change jobs without consequence.

There's a minimap.

You can tell in advance if an area has hidden chests or you're heading towards a dead-end. When you walk through a hidden path it will light up all hidden zones on the map.

There's a checklist.

The game now has trophies for fighting every monster, opening every chest, and finding every hidden item. To help you the minimap comes bundled with a checklist that lists every area you've come across and whether there are secrets remaining. Of course some stuff is easily missed but it's better than Octopath. The beastiary is much more user-friendly as you given a map which notes found and missing monsters.

The score has been redone.

I don't know who was in charge for each version, but the remaster score makes the DS one sound like fruity-loops. The score is so good that this is the thing you buy while the RPG is just a bonus extra. It's not generic orchestral stuff, we've got woodpipes here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elbahtGqdo8&t=259s

There might be mods in the future.

All six 2D Final Fantasy games were rebuilt on the Unity engine. This leads for a lot of possibilities for randomizers, balance mods, difficulty mods, crossover mods, and other weird poo poo. FF3 still has aged-design issues like how most jobs get outclassed, and the endgame is just a damage-check over any real strategy. Modding could give a whole afterlife to these games.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

quote:

There's a minimap.

You can tell in advance if an area has hidden chests or you're heading towards a dead-end. When you walk through a hidden path it will light up all hidden zones on the map.
This sounds like an anti-feature to me—I don't feel much of a sense of exploration if the map is drawn in advance. The removal of job change penalties is a huge improvement, though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Elephant Parade posted:

This sounds like an anti-feature to me—I don't feel much of a sense of exploration if the map is drawn in advance. The removal of job change penalties is a huge improvement, though.

iirc you can toggle it on and off

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

then congrats to square enix on finally making a good version of final fantasy iii

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Are the Grandia games hard? I been looking for another RPG series to sink my teeth into, but I cannot with easier games like FF. Not a value judgement but the combat was so unengaging that I couldn't drag myself to the finish line despite playing most of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Are the Grandia games hard? I been looking for another RPG series to sink my teeth into, but I cannot with easier games like FF. Not a value judgement but the combat was so unengaging that I couldn't drag myself to the finish line despite playing most of them.
not really. grandia ii's recent rerelease added a hard mode but its only like kinda challenging.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
grandia 1 is extremely easy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

not really. grandia ii's recent rerelease added a hard mode but its only like kinda challenging.

Wasn't Grandia the game with some weird system regarding items that many found challenging?

The Colonel posted:

grandia 1 is extremely easy

poo poo, does it at least do anything interesting?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mechanics wise? Yes, it's just that if you fully utilise all of the mechanics (or, really, even if you just kinda utilise them) you will just breeze through all battles

Also the story is great, super cheesy 90s anime stuff

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you’re looking for something that’s good mechanically I’d recommend staying right the heck away from Grandia, the optional dungeons are pretty legit but otherwise it’s just a long curbstomp while you go on a neat JRPG adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I realized I meant Lufia, but now I feel Obliged to finish Grandia one at least