Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

A billion dollars and it flows through a few people? Even if it’s just revenue, that’s nuts. What if someone quit or got hit by a bus? And being managed by a person who will rotate out in a year or two?

Are you in automotive, financial, oil/Chemical?

Edit: what commodity?

Also, had most productive email of the week yesterday. Suggested that during inventory people drive around with trash cans. Genuinely excited about it next year. Bonus is that the managers driving around will have trash next to them all day while I sweat in the sun, and they’ll be incentivized to actually empty their bins.

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So we're hiring for our department, and we are fully remote. We were fully remote prior to the pandemic and there isn't going to be a change. And this appears in the job advertisement. The job advertisement only appears on the company website. We're in a niche industry. And the position has a travel requirement. My boss has gotten hundreds of applicants for the position. And my boss is bitching about the majority of them being overqualified. I am sure, none of this is a shock to people in this thread. Just confirming the demand remote work is loving high.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

There really is no going back and employers need to accept it

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Chaotic Flame posted:

There really is no going back and employers need to accept it

I hate to sound cold blooded, but the Delta variant may help us out in that respect. I got the feeling lots of megacorps were absolutely rearing to get virtually everyone back in the office ASAP, and this slowed them down and gave them pause. Whether that hesitancy will last is unlikely but I am pessimistic.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Every year where in-office work isn't the norm is another year where remote work is the norm. And frankly, I don't think we're going to back to 'normal' before March 2022 - are we really going to go back into the office after 2 years of remote work? At what points does corporate inertia go the other way?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tibalt posted:

Every year where in-office work isn't the norm is another year where remote work is the norm. And frankly, I don't think we're going to back to 'normal' before March 2022 - are we really going to go back into the office after 2 years of remote work? At what points does corporate inertia go the other way?

Lol, boomers will never retire or die.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inner Light posted:

I hate to sound cold blooded, but the Delta variant may help us out in that respect. I got the feeling lots of megacorps were absolutely rearing to get virtually everyone back in the office ASAP, and this slowed them down and gave them pause. Whether that hesitancy will last is unlikely but I am pessimistic.

Since bringing everybody back in fully on the 15th, there has been at least one positive test notification coming out per day. Nothing from HR or management about letting some people go back to WFH or even a new mask mandate. Still the same "if you send HR a copy of your vax card then you don't need to wear a mask on campus." Granted our county is up over 80% vaccinated so I don't think there's going to be some mega explosion barring a new variant, but I am wondering how long they can just keep pretending everything is fine and everybody can be back in at pre-pandemic levels.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

FogHelmut posted:

Boomers have had two years of working from their hone office and walking their dog during the day like the rest of us.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hope my company makes vaccination mandatory for coming into the office because one guy on my team is an Alex Jones chudlord who will raise a huge shitfit about it while the rest of us dunk on him on Teams using animated GIFs.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tibalt posted:

Boomers have had two years of working from their hone office and walking their dog during the day like the rest of us.

And they can't wait to get the team back together. Just not the same without the chatter and energy.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

priznat posted:

I hope my company makes vaccination mandatory for coming into the office because one guy on my team is an Alex Jones chudlord who will raise a huge shitfit about it while the rest of us dunk on him on Teams using animated GIFs.

I hope for the same, but we're HQ'd in TX so there's precisely zero chance of it happening. I think the company would actually want to, but the shithead governor and assorted shithead legislators would throw such a gigantic fit that it's just easier to keep us WFH.

But man would it be satisfying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Trabant posted:

I hope for the same, but we're HQ'd in TX so there's precisely zero chance of it happening. I think the company would actually want to, but the shithead governor and assorted shithead legislators would throw such a gigantic fit that it's just easier to keep us WFH.

But man would it be satisfying.

An actual unanticipated benefit from antivaxxers?!? I mean it doesn’t outweigh all the death and illness they cause but it’s interesting it is something.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Just yesterday I asked to switch a meeting to zoom since I didn’t want to drive 45 mins to the office for it. The guy agreed because it was his only meeting for the day as well. He lives a few neighborhoods over from me. Before COVID times we both would’ve spent an hour and a half of our lives sitting in traffic to be in person for a meeting that took 30 mins with small talk.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

:hmmrona:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

priznat posted:

We just announced mandatory vaccinations (excl. immune compromised people and religious beliefs [boooo]), including mandatory for remote workers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So basically anyone who doesn't want to get vaccinated can say "religious beliefs!" and they don't have to. Cool.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
ours is requiring us to furnish proof NLT 8/2 if we said we were, which is good.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

What is this

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Volmarias posted:

What is this

No Later Than Aug 2nd.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Volmarias posted:

What is this

My guess is "No Later Than August 2nd"
Edit: CURSE MY SLOW FINGERS!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
What proof would you provide to say your have a religious exemption? I can see a whole lot of followers of the Church of Facebook Groups in the near future.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Volmarias posted:

What proof would you provide to say your have a religious exemption? I can see a whole lot of followers of the Church of Facebook Groups in the near future.

I’m hoping that my company says something like “We make vaccines and you work here. Strongly-held belief? Nope. NEXT!”

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So I guess I’m stuck working at the company that demoted me for shady reasons.

I hope this isn’t industry wide, but I was about to give my notice at my job when my credit check came back at the job I had signed the letter for and they noted the bankruptcy, jerked me around for a week, and rescinded the offer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I for one think it's awesome that anyone that ever gets their finances hosed is never allowed to advance in life ever again. Poors deserve to be poor and should loving know their place, am I right? :911:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Do these credit pings include medical debt?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

It was a 20 page report with all of my debt that had been part of the bankruptcy and the bankruptcy

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

It was a 20 page report with all of my debt that had been part of the bankruptcy and the bankruptcy

That’s a double whammy of suck, I’m sorry.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Automatic Slim posted:

Oh yes they do.

There's an entire Last Week Tonight about credit reporting, btw. Watching it is a cardiovascular stress test.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Sundae posted:

Oh yes they do.

There's an entire Last Week Tonight about credit reporting, btw. Watching it is a cardiovascular stress test.

Wonderful.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My mental health is already totally hosed due to the pandemic and demotion and now this? Worst timeline

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

The credit reporting industry is so monumentally evil… I’m angry every time I need to interact with those creepy assholes. The worst part is that I can’t choose to not do business with them.

A centralized accounting of my banking / credit habits makes sense to have. But it should be managed by the government, with legal limits for access and a right to contest information. But that would require the government to govern, which is apparently not ok.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dobbs_Head posted:

The credit reporting industry is so monumentally evil… I’m angry every time I need to interact with those creepy assholes. The worst part is that I can’t choose to not do business with them.

A centralized accounting of my banking / credit habits makes sense to have. But it should be managed by the government, with legal limits for access and a right to contest information. But that would require the government to govern, which is apparently not ok.

Howsabout instead of that we have four private agencies and the only accountability they have is that if they gently caress up and say give out several hundred millions of people's information in a breach, they get to sell them services to prevent them from getting their identity stolen as a result of those sorts of breaches and make a shitload more money?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Thanatosian posted:

Howsabout instead of that we have four private agencies and the only accountability they have is that if they gently caress up and say give out several hundred millions of people's information in a breach, they get to sell them services to prevent them from getting their identity stolen as a result of those sorts of breaches and make a shitload more money?

Four?

Just off the top of my head there’s Experian, Equifax, TransUnion, ChexSystems, LexisNexis, Thompson Reuters, Acxiom, CoreLogic, and I know I’m forgetting a few of the biggest players.

You’re also missing one of the other important pieces: correcting bad info. I knew someone who had his wallet stolen, and the cops picked up the thief not long afterwards for selling meth. My friend’s info was put in at booking, because the cops were lazy and had a card with somebody’s name on it. Correcting it with the courts actually wasn’t too bad, but the dude still has employment problems years later, because a bunch of completely unaccountable private background check databases picked up the initial arrest and lol if you think they care about corrections.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
TransUnion straight up labeled a bunch of random citizens as terrorists on their credit reports because they shared names with people actually on watch lists and TransUnion just never bothered to do checks to determine if they were actually the same people or not:

TransUnion LLC vs Ramirez posted:

Beginning in 2002, TransUnion introduced an add-on product called OFAC Name Screen Alert. OFAC is the U. S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. OFAC maintains a list of “specially designated nationals” who threaten America’s national security. Individuals on the OFAC list are terrorists, drug traffickers, or other serious criminals. It is generally unlawful to transact business with any person on the list.

When this litigation arose, Name Screen worked in the following way: When a business opted into the Name Screen service, TransUnion would conduct its ordinary credit check of the consumer, and it would also use third-party software to compare the consumer’s name against the OFAC list. If the consumer’s first and last name matched the first and last name of an individual on OFAC’s list, then TransUnion would place an alert on the credit report indicating that the consumer’s name was a “potential match” to a name on the OFAC list. TransUnion did not compare any data other than first and last names. Unsurprisingly, TransUnion’s Name Screen product generated many false positives. Thousands of law-abiding Americans happen to share a first and last name with one of the terrorists, drug traffickers, or serious criminals on OFAC’s list of specially designated nationals.

Sergio Ramirez learned the hard way that he is one such individual...A Nissan salesman told Ramirez that Nissan would not sell the car to him because his name was on a “‘terrorist list.’”

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Volmarias posted:

It would be so boss if someone brought a hat and seer stones and proceeded to read out loud that they are exempt.

Unrelated: We are hiring. While corporate HQ is in the bay area, this position would be in SoCal. A very qualified candidate (who has zero interest in moving to SoCal) was told by a recruiter that "Yes, this position would be in the bay area" so they scheduled a phone interview. Literally in the first minute of the phone interview, we realize that the recruiter screwed up by advertising this as a bay area job, so I apologize to the candidate and offer to just end the interview then and there. My boss, also on the call, says to just proceed with the interview and then tries to convince the guy to move to SoCal. He (boss) literally cannot handle being told "No" very well. One of these days I will have to explain that a worker who on a perfectly good day has to be convinced to come work for us will likely crumble during the first crisis (of which we have many).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I know a guy who has convinced the Army that his religion is Viking which means he can have a beard.

Pillowpants posted:

My mental health is already totally hosed due to the pandemic and demotion and now this? Worst timeline

Sorry that really really sucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A woman I know who was so racist she had to leave her job to avoid getting fired over it is now working in HR at a major university.

I'd be more upset about it, but its a southern university so its not like getting rid of her would change a drat thing.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

I would have agreed with this pre-COVID but I think it's changed now. We've already had a bunch of people retire once they got vaxxed and the mask mandates got dropped. They were just waiting for life to get close enough to normal, what's the point of retiring if you can't do anything? The next wave is going to be when they ask people to come back to the office - I've been told by enough people personally this is their plan to believe it. After that, you've got the group who was planning to maybe retire in a few years, they probably would have been the people to keep working until 65 but now their 401k is fat and they've stared death in the face and they're ready to stop spending their time working - enough people have also told me this unprompted that I buy it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We've already had 2 older guys in high positions retire in my department right after the back-to-office plans started spinning up, so I believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Antioch posted:

I got put on a PIP after calling my VP a "Limp dicked embezzling coward" in an all hands meeting. Took them a month to put me on a "COVID Furlough" and then everyone was all *surprised Pikachu face* when a month later I had a new job and gave my 2 minute notice and turned in my laptop.

In my defence, he was and still is a limp dicked coward, and he was funneling company money into an MSP that he owned. No regrets.

Did you also call the SEC as those are the kind of things they love if it’s a public company