Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If they wanted Fi to be read as "Fee" Nintendo absolutely would've written it as "Fii" instead to go along with your Wii and Miis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I still love how the music stops/reacts to Groose deciding to call the surface "Grooseland".

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Captain Hygiene posted:

And as a final indignity, if you die to the final boss the checkpoint is yet another pointless timestone trek back to start it over again :sigh:

There almost certainly should have been a savepoint statue immediately outside of the boss door.

That said, there are two savepoint statues close to the Boss door in the Lanaryu Mining Facility, and the one on the west side of the room is only a little farther away, and lets you return to the boss door after a failure without requiring timestone shenanigans like the Eastern one does.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Shout out to the dev who put a gyro puzzle in BotW. Immediately killed my must-complete-game-100% brainworms, now I can just enjoy the game and not bother with things I don't want to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

QuasiQuack posted:

Shout out to the dev who put a gyro puzzle in BotW. Immediately killed my must-complete-game-100% brainworms, now I can just enjoy the game and not bother with things I don't want to do.

Turn the platform 90 degrees (from memory) counter-clockwise before the ball falls. The ball falls right into the final corridor and you can just flick it straight at the jump.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I'm not gonna go get the joycons and take off my hori controllers one more time. That monk can rot down there for all I care :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

QuasiQuack posted:

It took me a few tries to really like BotW but yeah, it's definitely a game I only enjoy by not going out of my day to do more than I feel like. I think I usually finish with around 3/4 of the shrines and feel better than if I'd forced myself to keep going, and that's fine.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The problem a lot of Skyward Sword's dungeons have (and some of TP's dungeons too, to an extent) is that they are often very guided, straightforward experiences. I like the timeshift gimmick of Lanayru Mining Facility and the music but at the same time the dungeon as a whole is basically just following a continuous path. There's no real reason to think of the dungeon as anything more than a series of standalone rooms, you don't need to really think about the layout of the dungeon or how rooms connect to each other at all. It has a big central hub room but the only purpose it serves is to provide shortcuts back to the entrance at key points of the linear path. The gust bellows is also an extremely weak item and Moldarach feels like a mini-boss.

Also the timeshift stone gimmick doesn't really come into its own until the Sandsea tbqh

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 30, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Jack and the Beanstalk must be an interesting read for you because this would mean you say "fee fee foe fum" when you read the giant's dialog.

You make a good point but the problem is I don't think I've ever read that story myself. Haven't seen it since my parents read it to me when I was a young'un. My exposure to it since then has been Disney cartoons and such. :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's pronounced "fih"
like "big" or "it"

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
The funny thing is I've known it's "Fie" since around when it came out on Wii, but my brain still defaults to "Fee." I have to actively think to correct myself

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ancient Cistern is pretty neat, didn't beat the boss first try and had to go to sleep, that was exciting. I totally skipped the first puzzle in the place, afterwards I found the clues anyway, but it was still funny to get to door combo right on the second or third guess, although I guess worst case scenario only 16 ever to try. Whip is a really fun item, wish it worked on more enemies as normal damage dealer. Whipping around through is just good zelda fun, why haven't they added whip before?!? Why was it gone in BotW!! Link should have always been a whipper. The whip is also wonderful because even the game is like "there's a mysterious orb at the end of it that doesn't something somehow!"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

BotW Zelda might trust Link with the Shiekah Slate, but no way is she trusting him with a whip.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The whip originated in Spirit Tracks iirc

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Augus posted:

it's pronounced "fih"
like "big" or "it"

Since Wi Fi is short for "wireless fidelity"* this is very strong evidence for your position.

Raylax posted:

The funny thing is I've known it's "Fie" since around when it came out on Wii, but my brain still defaults to "Fee." I have to actively think to correct myself

I only know it was "fie" because of the narrator in Hyrule Warriors. Honestly I think it makes sense why people default to "fee" because of how Japanese pronunciation works.

* Wi Fi is not actually short for wireless fidelity although the people who invented it did use that term as a slogan.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It stands for Wireless, Fireless.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

To be fair in Japanese it's spelled fai (ファイ) :v:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The whip originated in Spirit Tracks iirc

Plus the grappling hook in Wind Waker had basically the same functionality.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Everyone knows it stands for Wireless Fire-

Khanstant posted:

It stands for Wireless, Fireless.

:negative:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Finishing SSHD got me on a bit of a Zelda binge so I just finished replaying Twilight Princess HD. Honestly still holds up, I always liked it and I'm still hoping for a Switch port one day.

I remember a lot of complaints about dungeon items not being used much outside of the dungeon you get them in, but I didn't really find that to be true? You've got your standard heart pieces "puzzles" and there are a ton of dungeon/boss mechanics that force you to use a bunch of old items. The hidden skills also make combat more fun than usual Zelda fare, plus there were some really fun bosses and interesting dungeons.

On the other hand, the characters are absolutely dire. Midna is the only interesting one of the bunch and while she's fantastic, she gets her personality sucked out of her halfway through the game. I'm not sure I could tell you the name of another character besides like Zelda/Agatha/Zant. And the wolf stuff was cool for a bit, but mostly just kind of sucks especially when they want you to switch to wolf form to dig in one specific part of a dungeon that isn't really hinted at. The dungeons were a bit more linear than usual which I liked but I can imagine others didn't.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think the French do?

They do. 'wee-fee' is 'internet sans fil' (without wires). 'fil' is pronounced similarly to 'feel' in English, even if plural (fils). A final 's' is rarely, rarely pronounced, but it is in the word 'fils', which is the word for 'son(s)', where the 'l' is not pronounced. This drives my students mad. Just wanted to share.

Next time, the arbitrary pronunciation of the double l

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The whip boss was fantastic! One of the better boss fights in the entire series as far as I can recall. I like boss fights that require you to get in close and stay close while dodging. Fight had you use new dungeon item, plus sword, and has a second stage that spawns adds, and best of all, you get to beat it down using it's own broken body. Perfect!

Also cracks me up how much Faron looks like a Nintendo'd Seathe or Kaathe.

Just started Sand Sea area a bit and I love the concept of the little time crystal boat, but can you ever get out and go doing things in the water bubble? Didn't see a way and the lil robo dude blocked me from going for a splash when we docked.

Zeron posted:

On the other hand, the characters are absolutely dire. Midna is the only interesting one of the bunch and while she's fantastic, she gets her personality sucked out of her halfway through the game. I'm not sure I could tell you the name of another character besides like Zelda/Agatha/Zant. And the wolf stuff was cool for a bit, but mostly just kind of sucks especially when they want you to switch to wolf form to dig in one specific part of a dungeon that isn't really hinted at. The dungeons were a bit more linear than usual which I liked but I can imagine others didn't.

I really liked the weird like resistance rebel group but they felt like they were from another game concept. I'd be totally down to explore a Zelda game from the perspective of folks just trying to live their lives during a Ganon episode.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Johnny Walker posted:

For those unfamiliar with the newspaper comic strip thread, there is a character in the (terrible) strip On the Fastrack that is named "Fi" and it is pronounced "fee" and that always confused me.

I mean, possibly short for a name like Fiona?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I remember the dungeon where you get the ball and chain in TP whipping rear end. Creepy frozen yeti mansion.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's one of the few good parts of the game.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sigher posted:

It's one of the few good parts of the game.

TP whips in pretty much every respect when it opens up after the lakebed dungeon; fast travel, on-demand shapeshifting, yeti mansion, Morricone-scored sniping village, creepy sand dungeon with pygmy mummies and ghost rats... it's just getting to that point that sucks poo poo.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Runcible Cat posted:

TP whips in pretty much every respect when it opens up after the lakebed dungeon; fast travel, on-demand shapeshifting, yeti mansion, Morricone-scored sniping village, creepy sand dungeon with pygmy mummies and ghost rats... it's just getting to that point that sucks poo poo.

I for one think that the Goron dungeon ruled, even if yes, the iron boot trudging was a little loud and annoying

and the boss whipped

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do you pronounce is “Nah-Vee” with a long A or “NA-Vee” with a short A? Or perhaps “Nuh-Vee”, I’ve also heard that one a lot.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bust Rodd posted:

Do you pronounce is “Nah-Vee” with a long A or “NA-Vee” with a short A? Or perhaps “Nuh-Vee”, I’ve also heard that one a lot.

Like the first bit of navi-gator I assume?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Twilight Princess had great dungeons and the rest of the game is ok, too.

Apart from Malo, of course, who is the greatest.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Or perhaps “Nuh-Vee”, I’ve also heard that one a lot.
Fi as Fee I can understand, but where the heck are people getting "Nuh-Vee" from?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

Fi as Fee I can understand, but where the heck are people getting "Nuh-Vee" from?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Navi as in nav as in navigate gosh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pirate Ship dungeon was pretty cute. The boss was okay, I remember it being a decent boss fight when I did it in World of Warcraft too.

Volcano dungeon was HUGE, hell, thought I might be at least a 1/3rd done by the time I even got into the dungeon proper. Really annoyed they didn't make a boss for it though. They just made me fight the motion-controls tutorial guy again, wtf is that.

Fine, have us repeat that fight for some reason, but don't do it to replace an actual dungeon boss. Whacking a pervert from the left isn't a good or interesting boss encounter... then they send me off to an even worse fight repeat. Except this time the Imprisoned was legit irritating and Groose's cannon button only sometimes actually works, incredibly infuriating. Just a ton of little annoying things all come to head in this fight. The stupid loving stamina bar with stamina-plants placed at "gently caress you distances" apart. The annoying goddamn camera you need to dedicate two goddamn fingers to. The five years it takes to stand up and recover from a hit. The really long cut-scenes you can't skip in the middle of loving combat (but also time continues so if you like, pick up a bomb, it'll just explode in your hands while nintendo forces you to watch their stupidest character design of all time flop around a really stupid and ugly arena). Had to stop for a bit, might maybe just stop. How much more game is there? The irritation I felt in that imprisoned fight was not something I care to feel again, I reckon all I really have left is to beat the final dungeon... but if they're just going to make me fight the Imprisoned and tongue pervert again and not even have a final boss, gently caress it, I'll call it done here and look up a video of the final dungeon.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Did my horse just loving die?! :stare:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

QuasiQuack posted:

Did my horse just loving die?! :stare:

:nsallears:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Had to look it up and found out about the horse fairy thing, but ended up reloading to an autosave. I get very easily attached to digital animals and Henrietta is a good girl. She's currently eating the apples off a korok-puzzle :allears:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
lol

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

QuasiQuack posted:

Had to look it up and found out about the horse fairy thing, but ended up reloading to an autosave. I get very easily attached to digital animals and Henrietta is a good girl. She's currently eating the apples off a korok-puzzle :allears:

If you don't blow your horse up accidently at least six times with bomb arrows then are you even playing BOTW right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I didn't find out about the mortality of horses until my 2nd playthrough. I also didn't find out about the horse god until my 3rd playthrough.