Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So I live in a 'condo' that is a 2 family house. The 'hoa' consists of my unit and the other one.

We've both been considering an electric car or plug in hybrid and wanted to figure out if we could get away with one charger, and if it would be possible to install one charger but swap it between the meters. Each unit has a meter, and there is a third meter for basement and the exterior lights. Just wondering if there's some way to wire it so you can change which meter the power flows through.

That sounds very annoying IMO. One of the best things about having an electric car is being able to leave it charging overnight and it's ready to go in the morning. I guess how annoying depends on how heavily you use your cars.

Idk about that specific feature. My apartment block has power sockets for each parking bay that are wired into the respective apartment's meter, which is pretty neat but will be $

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So I live in a 'condo' that is a 2 family house. The 'hoa' consists of my unit and the other one.

We've both been considering an electric car or plug in hybrid and wanted to figure out if we could get away with one charger, and if it would be possible to install one charger but swap it between the meters. Each unit has a meter, and there is a third meter for basement and the exterior lights. Just wondering if there's some way to wire it so you can change which meter the power flows through.

It's definitely possible, but I wonder if it would end up being more expensive than just getting a second EVSE. A high power weatherproof switch might be pretty cheap, but I'd want an electrical engineer to make sure it's up to spec and the circuit is designed correctly, and then an electrician to inspect or install it, which might cost more than just having someone come out and install another EVSE.
Also, it adds the fun bonus of getting in to arguments with your neighbor about the $2 extra you got billed when they forgot to flip the switch when they plugged in. Look it's not about the money, Bob. It's the principle. This isn't the first time this month either, Bob.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm one of the people who put down a reservation for the Ioniq 5 and I'm still waiting on any information whatsoever about them other than "Fall 2021."

What IS cool, though, is that Hyundai wants to win over new consumers hesitant about EV's by doing an alternative "subscription" model, where you essentially do a monthly subscription, all-included with insurance etc., to "try" the car out for a little while until you feel more confident in a yes or no decision. It's brilliant, I think, because a lot of people are still on the fence about EV's and don't realize how far that industry has come even in the past two years regarding things like range and cost.

I'm just nervous about price release, but if they want to compete in the space, I'm guessing it will be somewhere between/around the cheapest Tesla model (advertised as $39,500) and the Mach-E ($43,000), and that's OK with me. The Rav4 Prime is listed around the same spot but as we know, dealers are charging the moon for it now because of supply issues.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Car subscriptions have been the hot new thing in Europe for a year or two, seems that payment model is popular.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 30, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fame Douglas posted:

Car subscriptions have been the how new thing in Europe for a year or two, seems that payment model is popular.

its extremely hyped but penetration is low

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Fame Douglas posted:

Car subscriptions have been the how new thing in Europe for a year or two, seems that payment model is popular.

I'm surprised it's taken so long to get to the US. Cars are a major commitment and they're expensive. Forcing people to commit to 3-year leases (or maybe 2 year) seems a little stupid nowadays. At the very least, having a try before you buy period of like six months seems like a no-brainer for car companies to quell hesitancies of consumers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fawning deference posted:

I'm surprised it's taken so long to get to the US. Cars are a major commitment and they're expensive. Forcing people to commit to 3-year leases (or maybe 2 year) seems a little stupid nowadays. At the very least, having a try before you buy period of like six months seems like a no-brainer for car companies to quell hesitancies of consumers.

customers really, really, don't like it for whatever reason. people are still really in to "owning" a car even if that's actually in the form of a lease.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

customers really, really, don't like it for whatever reason. people are still really in to "owning" a car even if that's actually in the form of a lease.
The Audi one stipulates you have to, like, switch out every 6 months or something.
Which I can see as annoying if you really just like a TT or whatever and don't need to change.

The others seem prohibitively expensive, which makes sense if you realize the insurance/maintenance is out of your hands.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, something you might want to consider as well, if you're a costco member, is they have an additional 1-3k off the Bolt EV on top of other manufacture and dealer deals.

https://www.costcoauto.com/save/

I bought my (hyundai Ionic) car through the costco program and the utter lack of haggling made it so much more of an enjoyable experience.

Huh… that’s actually pretty nice. Bit late for me to seriously consider (also no stock around me for 20-21 models) but definitely something I’m going to keep an eye out on from now on. Also gonna sign up for a test drive of the ‘22 bolt since they do have one right by home.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its extremely hyped but penetration is low

Enough about me, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Enough about me, though.

sure, minus the hype

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just wondering if there's some way to wire it so you can change which meter the power flows through.

There's definitely a way to wire this. I suspect it's illegal. I'm not certain, it just strikes me as the sort of thing that you're not supposed to go doing.

Not for safety reasons, but for billing or other administrative reasons.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The easiest solution, as long as you can deal with the limitations, would be to just install a 50A outlet fed from each meter near where you want to put the charger and just switch the plug around as needed. Obviously that means you max out at 40A charging but for most home uses that should still be fine.

No idea on if there are code limitations on having adjacent outlets with different sources, but it seems like if there are limitations on that then they really wouldn't like any kind of hardwired solution.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Finger Prince posted:

It's definitely possible, but I wonder if it would end up being more expensive than just getting a second EVSE. A high power weatherproof switch might be pretty cheap, but I'd want an electrical engineer to make sure it's up to spec and the circuit is designed correctly, and then an electrician to inspect or install it, which might cost more than just having someone come out and install another EVSE.
Also, it adds the fun bonus of getting in to arguments with your neighbor about the $2 extra you got billed when they forgot to flip the switch when they plugged in. Look it's not about the money, Bob. It's the principle. This isn't the first time this month either, Bob.

Yeah I don't think that kind of switch is any different than what you use to switch between shore and generator power on an RV / boat. But running extra 6 gauge wire might negate the cost of the EVSE as mentioned. Another solution, if you have flat electricity rates, is a "smart" EVSE that requires you to enter a PIN and you divvy it up at the end of the month.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure what's available in the US, but there are wallboxes with power metering capabilities. Maybe that'd be an option as well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's stopping someone from just hitting the big Frankenstein switch over the to neighbor's when they're sleeping or whatever?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

What's stopping someone from just hitting the big Frankenstein switch over the to neighbor's when they're sleeping or whatever?

Honor *unsheathes katana*

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait to see more of this story on the upcoming reality TV show "Charger Wars - Neighbor against Neighbor"

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I've never given turning circle a thought when it comes to cars, but after 2 weeks with the ID.3 I will in the future. Makes parking (or more often getting out of spots) a breeze. It's almost like those 30's cars with a 5th wheel that deployed to help swinging into a parking space.

Another super nice feature is that the ACC is calculating the deceleration when letting of the accelerator based on speed limit, distance to cars in front (and based on their speed) as well as upcoming turns or round-abouts.

I'm also used to the weird steering wheel buttons now, and once you "get" them they aren't bad.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just pay the extra cash for the two chargers. It'll be less of a pain in the rear end in the short term, and in the long term if you ever sell the place you won't scare off possible buyers with the frankencharger setup.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

mattfl posted:

I thought I'd be slick and maybe pick up a slightly used 2020/2021 for a little less than my new one since my build date keeps getting pushed out, but gently caress that noise. Time to put my patient hat on as my wife would say I guess and just wait. Apparently my car will already be worth 5k more than what I'm paying for it? lol

I took delivery of my Model 3 on Wednesday, and it was basically perfect. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. It's as advertised and I love it.

But yeah 2021 3s are listed on Autotrader for 57-60k and I just paid a grand total of 53 for the thing.

I can't believe I'm tempted to sell it, pocket the 4-7k, and just wait a few more months. It'll be annoying to be a one car family into the fall, but if you had told me a month ago you'd pay me 1k a month to wait longer for the car I'd have said hell yes.

Plus if deliveries really are into November, the tax credits that are likely in the reconciliation bill may have landed, in which case the price might drop 7-10k further.

So I wonder if it's really possible that if I wait until September-November for the car I could save somewhere between 10-15 grand on the total cost between the sale and the tax credit.

Is that insane? It feels insane.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

AhhYes posted:

Plus if deliveries really are into November, the tax credits that are likely in the reconciliation bill may have landed, in which case the price might drop 7-10k further.

Are there any? I feel like whenever I've looked into it it comes off as "stuff we'd like to do" rather than "stuff that's getting voted on."

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Harveygod posted:

Are there any? I feel like whenever I've looked into it it comes off as "stuff we'd like to do" rather than "stuff that's getting voted on."

I was under the impression the reconciliation bill will get a vote sometime after the August recess and the tax credits were likely to be in it. But yeah, I don't think anyone is certain about what specifically will be in the bill.

It'd just be quite the potential bonus for going through another order cycle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

AhhYes posted:

I took delivery of my Model 3 on Wednesday, and it was basically perfect. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. It's as advertised and I love it.

But yeah 2021 3s are listed on Autotrader for 57-60k and I just paid a grand total of 53 for the thing.

I can't believe I'm tempted to sell it, pocket the 4-7k, and just wait a few more months. It'll be annoying to be a one car family into the fall, but if you had told me a month ago you'd pay me 1k a month to wait longer for the car I'd have said hell yes.

So I wonder if it's really possible that if I wait until September-November for the car I could save somewhere between 10-15 grand on the total cost between the sale and the tax credit.

Is that insane? It feels insane.

You know asking price doesn’t equal selling price right

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

bird with big dick posted:

You know asking price doesn’t equal selling price right

Lol yes but right now with things being so crazy price wise I wonder how much less than asking they're going for.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
What’s rumored to be in the reconciliation bill? I was under the impression that Tesla’s no longer qualified for the 7500 tax credit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SnatchRabbit posted:

What’s rumored to be in the reconciliation bill? I was under the impression that Tesla’s no longer qualified for the 7500 tax credit.

Pretty sure all EV stuff is going to get gutted from reconciliation just like it was gutted from the main bill that’s maybe passing today so I wouldn’t exactly hold my breath on it.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I wouldn't expect anything in it. Despite having a majority in all three houses, the dems will compromise and remove anything useful before they even get any pushback.

SnatchRabbit posted:

7.5k for all, 10k for domestic made, 12.5k for domestic union-made. No cap.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Westy543 posted:

7.5k for all, 10k for domestic made, 12.5k for domestic union-made. No cap.

Yeah this is what left the finance committee. It was also retroactive to May IIRC

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I went to the garden centre

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AhhYes posted:

Yeah this is what left the finance committee. It was also retroactive to May IIRC

Does it include plug in hybrid cars?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

knox_harrington posted:

:eyepop:

I should finally be picking up my RWD within a week I think! Excited and a little nervous to be driving my first non Tesla EV in ten whole years.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

eeenmachine posted:

:eyepop:

I should finally be picking up my RWD within a week I think! Excited and a little nervous to be driving my first non Tesla EV in ten whole years.

Awesome! What colour did you go for in the end?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

knox_harrington posted:

Awesome! What colour did you go for in the end?

Carmine Red on Mission E's.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbAkuiS8PHU

Hummer EV walkaround

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does it include plug in hybrid cars?

I honestly don't remember but I think yes. The problem is what left the finance committee was (I fully admit that I might not know what I'm talking about here) a standalone bill for tax credits and not a part of the big bill everyone is waiting for.

So while it was considered and passed the committee vote, there's no guarantee it'll be a part of the final big bill. It could serve as the framework for any credits that are included in the final bill but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

It is the only specific policy on the subject that's been discussed in the last year though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This shouldn't exist.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

AhhYes posted:

As a June car buyer (and ordered may 1st) fuuuucckkk yessss

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Westy543 posted:

As a June car buyer (and ordered may 1st) fuuuucckkk yessss

Sadly it has basically zero chance of passing without significant changes. No republicans will vote for it so they have to be able to pass it through reconciliation and Manchin has his own bill that he’s focusing on which has nothing to do with clean energy and everything to do with keeping fossil fuels alive for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

this is a very pretty car.