Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

I remember watching my dad play that when I was a lad and the way the Luggage followed you around really freaked me out. I think it was the legs.

You're in line with just about every character in the books there, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

thrashingteeth posted:

I was watching Peep show the other day and remembered how much of an absolute mega melt Robert Webb is.

I don't know how I missed this cancelling he had a while ago- I know he's completely ferally against working class people but did he not come for sanitation workers on twitter and got ratio'd? I just want the tea on this so I can laugh about what a dick he is.

https://twitter.com/arobertwebb/status/756867648948936706?lang=en

I vaguely recall this whole thing was because Corbin referred to a deceased street sweeper he knew as hardworking.

Edit: think I misremembered

hand-fed baby bird fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 31, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Camrath posted:

Yeah, I went into The Watch expecting to hate it utterly. Instead it kind of ruled?

Given your enthusiasm I suspect the answer is obvious, but should I give this another shot? I watched about 15 mins of the pilot and gave up. It was less the "it's not Pratchett" thing and more that it just seemed kinda a mess and sloppily written. Maybe it's just because it's the pilot (and because I only watched 15 mins), but it was doing that bad adaptation thing of dropping lots of clunky exposition while also having things happen that are only really meaningful or interesting if you know the source material because the show hasn't done a good job of setting them up

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Niric posted:

Given your enthusiasm I suspect the answer is obvious, but should I give this another shot? I watched about 15 mins of the pilot and gave up. It was less the "it's not Pratchett" thing and more that it just seemed kinda a mess and sloppily written. Maybe it's just because it's the pilot (and because I only watched 15 mins), but it was doing that bad adaptation thing of dropping lots of clunky exposition while also having things happen that are only really meaningful or interesting if you know the source material because the show hasn't done a good job of setting them up
My partner also enjoyed it without having ever read Pratchett, but I didn't notice the start being worse so could be that you just don't like it

15 minutes probably isn't a fair shout though, idk

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The first episode does not sell it well- the framing of it makes it all a bit of a mess. After episode 2 it straightens out into a more regular timeline and gets much better.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

thrashingteeth posted:

I was watching Peep show the other day and remembered how much of an absolute mega melt Robert Webb is.

I don't know how I missed this cancelling he had a while ago- I know he's completely ferally against working class people but did he not come for sanitation workers on twitter and got ratio'd? I just want the tea on this so I can laugh about what a dick he is.

https://twitter.com/arobertwebb/status/756867648948936706?lang=en

Jeremy Corbyn poopood the fancy unis and said some of the most intelligent and thoughtful people he had met had been Street sweepers. This made Oxford toffs apoplectic and Webb started proclaiming his working class credentials because he lived in a bungalow (didn't even have stairs in his house smh) while also bragging that he went to Oxford and worked hard for his money and was therefor more intelligent than a street sweeper.

He's a oval office op.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Peep show was great entertainment but Mitchell was way funnier than Webb who has done nothing since

Mitchell and Webb show is dire though

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Peep show was great entertainment but Mitchell was way funnier than Webb who has done nothing since

I would have quite liked Back if Webb wasn't in it being exactly his cunty self but thinking he's being knowingly self aware.

And don't forget what a pathetic twat he was the other month when he was confronted about his transphobic views on a podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjhzvfWGUio&t=2578s

stev fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 31, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Coat tail riders are always the most defensive of their spot

Edit: Mitchell will probably have the exact same politics of Webb given his background and the family he married into but unlike Webb he's clever enough to remember he's a light entertainment dork who's trying to do mass appeal. Closest he gets to an opinion is "I feel society should improve somewhat"

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 31, 2021

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

No one sees to remember the show Ambassadors, where, to bring two strands of the thread together, Webb basically played Craig Murray.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OwlFancier posted:

I really can't imagine someone who likes pratchett's work and is also a big terf.
Being related to someone who's a pratchett fan and a mumsnet poster I've learned that theres no logical consistency beyond a belief that they're actually the progressive ones standing up for woman's rights therefore everyone truely progressive must be a terf too.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I'm always slightly weary about David Mitchell, it seems he's just smart enough to keep schtum about politics beyond the superficial as opposed to Webb who just goes arse first into poo poo he has no clue about.

I could just be being cynical however.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Camrath posted:

The first episode does not sell it well- the framing of it makes it all a bit of a mess. After episode 2 it straightens out into a more regular timeline and gets much better.

What didn't sell The Watch well at all was them kicking Rhi Pratchett off the project and throwing out everything she'd done. It may or may not be a good show in its own right, but I don't care; the sheer level of disrespect shown to both her and the material is too great.

Anyway: raise a glass and a GNU to a true hero.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thrashingteeth posted:

I'm pretty sure I've said before but his autobiography is fascinating in a bad way.

First of all his mum died when he was young. Reading the early life chapters he was a very sensitive kid, something he now looks back on with scorn. It's the stereotypical internalised self hatred you see in every single guy out there who's afraid of not being a typical lad, so lashes out at their inner child.

He ended up living with his dad, a man he portrays as a drunk, angry working class northern stereotype. He absolutely hates working class people because of his issues with his dad.

He managed to fail his way into Cambridge (not Oxford) and immediately dropped the accent and affectations of his upbringing and adopted the persona of Cambs Lad. Which would be fine, except for the fact that he shits on anyone with an accent because of again, his internalised self hatred.

He also portrays as a major, mindblowing revelation - steel yourselves dear reader - that he is bisexual and he fooled around with a male friend when he was younger. Seriously, he builds this up so loving much and it just shows how much he sees that side of himself as shameful as well.

Webb's comedy shtick sort of falls through after reading about his past and internal monologue, because you realise he's not putting on an act with the nastiness and disdain in the characters he plays. He hams it up so you think it's a veneer, but when you read the opinions in his book and how they're fuelled by his rampant self loathing, the shtick is an excuse, almost performative reverse irony to make people think it's just an act, except it's not and he really is that spite driven.

I suspect his terf turn is driven by the disappointingly typical 'I was never allowed to be myself, why should they' mentality. Like gently caress You Got Mine except he doesn't even have his. Pathetic

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Webb is a twat and was always obviously second banana to the actual funny one of the comedy duo, and I wonder if that weighs on him.

I still like Numberwang though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Yeah, not going to give The Watch even a chance due to what they did to Rhianna and original crew who were working on it when Terry was alive.
They stole it, and tried to gleam glory points for themselves, how great they were bring this to TV.
gently caress them, and the show.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The only good thing the Sky adaptations have going for them is cementing Charles Dance in my head as Vetinari.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The only true adaptations are the audiobooks which are a treasure and a joy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sirosenbaum/status/1421295667117498368?s=21

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sakurazuka posted:

The first two Discworld games had the most insane puzzles in any point n click game. Everyone memes about the cat hair moustache thing in Gabriel Knight 3 (or whichever) but that whole sequence is like step one out of five in the easiest puzzle in the first Discworld game.

The first Discworld game also had a pretty infamous Easter Egg because it got Eric Idel to say the F Bomb.
The programmers thought they hid it so well that no one would find it, but someone heard the line when their game crashed and Windows went and played through all the sound files one by one.

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/4208

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

thrashingteeth posted:

I'm always slightly weary about David Mitchell, it seems he's just smart enough to keep schtum about politics beyond the superficial as opposed to Webb who just goes arse first into poo poo he has no clue about.

I could just be being cynical however.

Yeah, Mitchell's established himself in a nice cushy little career of scriptwriting/ acting/ appearing on panel shows and keeps his politics anodyne and unremarkable - what's the point of involving himself in Twitter drama etc. when he's got pretty much everything he ever wanted?

Webb has always been much more: "I HAVE THESE VERY IMPORTANT OPINIONS AND YOU ALL NEED TO CONCEDE THAT I AM CORRECT."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

It should have a ring, but it *is* a ring...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What a poo poo useless party of cunts.

https://twitter.com/EmmaLewellBuck/status/1421168950038179848

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm pretty sure I've said before but his autobiography is fascinating in a bad way.

First of all his mum died when he was young. Reading the early life chapters he was a very sensitive kid, something he now looks back on with scorn. It's the stereotypical internalised self hatred you see in every single guy out there who's afraid of not being a typical lad, so lashes out at their inner child.

He ended up living with his dad, a man he portrays as a drunk, angry working class northern stereotype. He absolutely hates working class people because of his issues with his dad.

He managed to fail his way into Cambridge (not Oxford) and immediately dropped the accent and affectations of his upbringing and adopted the persona of Cambs Lad. Which would be fine, except for the fact that he shits on anyone with an accent because of again, his internalised self hatred.

He also portrays as a major, mindblowing revelation - steel yourselves dear reader - that he is bisexual and he fooled around with a male friend when he was younger. Seriously, he builds this up so loving much and it just shows how much he sees that side of himself as shameful as well.

Webb's comedy shtick sort of falls through after reading about his past and internal monologue, because you realise he's not putting on an act with the nastiness and disdain in the characters he plays. He hams it up so you think it's a veneer, but when you read the opinions in his book and how they're fuelled by his rampant self loathing, the shtick is an excuse, almost performative reverse irony to make people think it's just an act, except it's not and he really is that spite driven.

I suspect his terf turn is driven by the disappointingly typical 'I was never allowed to be myself, why should they' mentality. Like gently caress You Got Mine except he doesn't even have his. Pathetic

This actually makes an absurd amount of sense haha, god he's just a tragic character lol.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Reminds me of this, also form today

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1421400665646059520

Probably not the case for Johnson, but my guess is that for other politicians, their thought process is "well they think they're buying influence, but I'm too smart for them :smuggo:; but I'll take their money". In other words, an MP version of the person who think advertising has no effect on them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Being related to someone who's a pratchett fan and a mumsnet poster I've learned that theres no logical consistency beyond a belief that they're actually the progressive ones standing up for woman's rights therefore everyone truely progressive must be a terf too.

But as people have demonstrated it is the literal actual loving text of the books, it is not subtext, a central arc of the dwarf books concerns the effect that their concept of rigid gender presentation has on people who want to present differently.

Like unless you just don't read some of the best books (dwarf books best books fight me) and especially stuff like monstrous regiment where the whole loving book is about gender politics, presentation, and identity, I just do not get how your loving brain can just bounce his points like a loving KV-2 at Raseiniai.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

learnincurve posted:

The only true adaptations are the audiobooks which are a treasure and a joy.

Specifically as voiced by Stephen Briggs save for some exceptions, like Mort sounding exactly like Neil from the Young Ones.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

People can have all the lovely opinions they like as long as they shut the gently caress up and take them to their graves. If Davey M starts saying or acting on whatever bullshit he's got bouncing around his skull, then we've got a problem.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The thing I didn't like about that recent The Watch adaptation is that by raiding the good bits from all over the canon, they limit themselves from telling any of those future stories properly.

Casting, costume and set design was top notch, though.

V much agreed on Angua, too.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Most of Pratchett's books from the Soccer one onwards just felt awful and i eventually stopped reading them.

Love the Channel 4/Cosgrove Hall animated stuff and a few of the tv movie ones (did not go near the latest one thankfully).

Every so often i revisit Men At Arms and remember when all was good with the world and Pterry was the man.

edit: gently caress Alzheimer's.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/_daniredd/status/1419945625550995461

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/MelanieMoore/status/1417791769983414281

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OwlFancier posted:

But as people have demonstrated it is the literal actual loving text of the books, it is not subtext, a central arc of the dwarf books concerns the effect that their concept of rigid gender presentation has on people who want to present differently.

Like unless you just don't read some of the best books (dwarf books best books fight me) and especially stuff like monstrous regiment where the whole loving book is about gender politics, presentation, and identity, I just do not get how your loving brain can just bounce his points like a loving KV-2 at Raseiniai.
I wish i understood it. She got mad about Cherry being portrayed by a male actor in the Watch. She was a fan of Eddie Izzard for years but suddenly isn't anymore.
What upsets me the most is that she can't see that she's parroting this warmed up homophobic garbage but with a new 'scarier' group of people to hate and fear. If we'd both been born a few decades earlier would she think that way about me too? Of course she doesn't have a problem with any individual trans person but think of the children bathroom assault bathroom assault!

I haven't had the courage to ask her what she thinks of linehan these days, but I hope that even she doesn't thinks he'll be 'vindicated by history' anymore.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My main issue with the Discworld adaptations is that because the books have a strong comedic edge, the tone of the adaptations is always very fluffy and whimsical, and that just feels off the mark to me. The right way to capture the tone, for me, would be to play them pretty straight, make the world feel grimy and lived in, then have the quirkiness and humour come out in the scripting, not the presentation.

Haven't seen The Watch though, I have no idea how it stacks up in that regard.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

Most of Pratchett's books from the Soccer one onwards just felt awful and i eventually stopped reading them.

Love the Channel 4/Cosgrove Hall animated stuff and a few of the tv movie ones (did not go near the latest one thankfully).

Every so often i revisit Men At Arms and remember when all was good with the world and Pterry was the man.

edit: gently caress Alzheimer's.

I would definitely suggest to read the Tiffany Aching novels, including The Shepard's Crown. His last book.
I put it off for two years knowing it was the last one and didn't want it to end. But when I did, poo poo there needs to be a word for both feeling deep sadness and happy acknowledgement.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

Of course she doesn't have a problem with any individual trans person but think of the children bathroom assault bathroom assault!

I do remember Cheery initially had her office in the Watch’s privy. I assume in one book or another that got attacked by assassins, justifying the GC reading?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

happyhippy posted:

I would definitely suggest to read the Tiffany Aching novels, including The Shepard's Crown. His last book.
I put it off for two years knowing it was the last one and didn't want it to end. But when I did, poo poo there needs to be a word for both feeling deep sadness and happy acknowledgement.

it was perfect in it’s incompleteness, went full circle back to Wyrd Sisters where he dealt with death and not getting to say all the things you wanted to say. Sad, what could have been, and a bitter sweet goodbye.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mr Phillby posted:

I wish i understood it. She got mad about Cherry being portrayed by a male actor in the Watch. She was a fan of Eddie Izzard for years but suddenly isn't anymore.
What upsets me the most is that she can't see that she's parroting this warmed up homophobic garbage but with a new 'scarier' group of people to hate and fear. If we'd both been born a few decades earlier would she think that way about me too? Of course she doesn't have a problem with any individual trans person but think of the children bathroom assault bathroom assault!

I haven't had the courage to ask her what she thinks of linehan these days, but I hope that even she doesn't thinks he'll be 'vindicated by history' anymore.

The actor who plays Cheery is actually non binary IIRC, and one of the best things about The Watch (at least three episodes in which is as far as we've gotten)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

im not a smart man or an engineer but it seems really really dumb to build a structure (especially in the rain soaked uk) with a flat roof

With flat roofs it's always when will they leak, not if.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't have a roof garden on an angled roof though.

Well I guess you could but it'd be weird and your chairs would fall off.