Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Like any roof, a flat roof designed/implemented poorly can leak. That doesn't make them inherently worse than something with a bigger run.

My garage roof has never leaked or needed maintenance since 1983, when it was built.

You can easily have an insulated flat roof using a warm deck construction (PIR insulation board sandwiched with ply, with roof joists below and roofing material above.)

This helps with condensation as you don't need to vent the area above the insulation as you do using a cold deck.

I've just built a workshop with a warm deck using a PDM rubber membrane, which arrives and is fitted as a single piece. There are PDM roofs that are still operating correctly after 50 years.

The problem with most flat roofs is they have been badly installed to begin with, which then makes repair/maintence hard. There's also far fewer people with good experience of installing and maintaining them properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BigHandsVince posted:

You can easily have an insulated flat roof using a warm deck construction (PIR insulation board sandwiched with ply, with roof joists below and roofing material above.)

This is what I have on my extension and it's by far the cosiest part of my cruddy 1930s ex-council house now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Roof garden without the flat roof, but probably hard to barbecue on.

:sweden:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Lambeth report dropped. Does a decent job of looking like it means business then falls back on the usual cant about "systemic failures". Considering the number of murders and attempted murders connected to the scandal, I've always found it pretty weird it doesn't get mentioned alongside like Dutroux or something, considering it was (is?) a much larger network.

https://www.iicsa.org.uk/publications/investigation/lambeth-council

Lambeth, Islington and Rotherham really speak to something profoundly evil at the heart of this country's establishment.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My main issue with the Discworld adaptations is that because the books have a strong comedic edge, the tone of the adaptations is always very fluffy and whimsical, and that just feels off the mark to me. The right way to capture the tone, for me, would be to play them pretty straight, make the world feel grimy and lived in, then have the quirkiness and humour come out in the scripting, not the presentation.

Haven't seen The Watch though, I have no idea how it stacks up in that regard.

I've probably said it before but while it's not a fantasy setting, for my money the show Year of the Rabbit (where Matt Berry plays a hard-drinking and incompetent Victorian cop) is the closet thing to the Ankh Morpork Watch stories in terms of tone.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Roof garden without the flat roof, but probably hard to barbecue on.

:sweden:

Tbh something like a Teletubbies/Hobbiton eco-house is probably my utopian ideal of housing, would need some serious ventilation planning though

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Not been a great couple of days for this lady judging by her Twitter handle (the quoted one):

https://twitter.com/caitroisc/status/1421100230754324482

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

gh0stpinballa posted:

Lambeth report dropped.

I've only read the executive summary but jesus loving christ :eyepop:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Party Boat posted:

The actor who plays Cheery is actually non binary IIRC, and one of the best things about The Watch (at least three episodes in which is as far as we've gotten)
Sorry for being insensitve!

This is what happens when you hear about a show secondhand from a GC mentalist. No wonder she's mad about it, i thought it was strange that they'd be so upset about a character who explicitly presents as male in the beginning being portrayed by 'a man' but i just chalked it up to her general incomprehensible gender rage.

I still gotta give the watch a watch myself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I made a little castle out of a kit! I call it Hayfever Hotel.

I've got a week off work and I plan to mostly be building these kits. It's absolutely soothing and I love the results. I could never have done these before I got medicated for my raging ADHD. Hooray.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've only read the executive summary but jesus loving christ :eyepop:

Still working thru it very slowly, need to take frequent breaks. Haven't got to much about Bulic Forsythe yet.

There's a very strange section about the role of freemasonry in the initial investigation. A lot of met/Scotland yard/MPs are masons and the report says it investigated rumours that these social connections influenced key decisions. Of course, they only ask the people themselves and obviously they're gonna say, no, my weird boys club didn't ask me to bury evidence or dismiss reports.

That's something I always find very frustrating about these independent inquiries, they are fairly toothless ultimately.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mr Phillby posted:

Sorry for being insensitve!

This is what happens when you hear about a show secondhand from a GC mentalist. No wonder she's mad about it, i thought it was strange that they'd be so upset about a character who explicitly presents as male in the beginning being portrayed by 'a man' but i just chalked it up to her general incomprehensible gender rage.

I still gotta give the watch a watch myself.

No worries, I realised you were relaying someone else's words just after I posted. In the show Cheery is played by an NB actor but the character uses she / her pronouns and outside of a moment of initial confusion from Carrot it hasn't been an issue at all (in the three episodes I've seen so far)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I've got a week off work and I plan to mostly be building these kits. It's absolutely soothing and I love the results. I could never have done these before I got medicated for my raging ADHD. Hooray.

Those do look very cute, polly pockets for adults.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gh0stpinballa posted:

There's a very strange section about the role of freemasonry in the initial investigation. A lot of met/Scotland yard/MPs are masons and the report says it investigated rumours that these social connections influenced key decisions. Of course, they only ask the people themselves and obviously they're gonna say, no, my weird boys club didn't ask me to bury evidence or dismiss reports.
I'm sure that any group of people with an ingroup/outgroup and a penchant for resolving disciplinary matters internally can end up covering for the worst poo poo, look at how every weirdo Trotskyist party usually ends up with a horrorshow at the central command committee, or the Catholic Church, or the Royals.

That said the executive summary seems to go in some weird directions about trade unions and 'progressive' councils and so on. If they're covering for abuse then they're covering for abuse, but

quote:

The desire to take on the government and to avoid setting a council tax rate resulted in 33 councillors being removed from their positions in 1986. That event and its consequences meant, amongst other things, the majority of elected members were not focussing their attention on what should have been their primary purpose of delivering quality services to the public, including children’s social care.
strikes me as very strange. It's almost like they're saying "if the council had stopped being so woke and right on and just let Thatcherism ride roughshod over them, then they could have focused on protecting kids."

Maybe I'm reading something into it that isn't there, but I don't believe that any kids ever got abused because someone was too busy holding the central government to account.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've probably said it before but while it's not a fantasy setting, for my money the show Year of the Rabbit (where Matt Berry plays a hard-drinking and incompetent Victorian cop) is the closet thing to the Ankh Morpork Watch stories in terms of tone.

I haven't thought about that series since I first watched it, but you're absolutely right. Throw in the fantasy elements and I'd be really happy to see a Discworld series in that style. I was thinking of something like In Bruges, but really I just mean deadpan comedy.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Yeah I agree. There's an alternately subtle/not so subtle effort (from how much I've read so far) to de-emphasise just how organized and high reaching the abuse was, and this attempt to blame the "right-on" efforts of the council and handwave a lot of stuff away with "institutional failure" feels very much a part of that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

But as people have demonstrated it is the literal actual loving text of the books, it is not subtext, a central arc of the dwarf books concerns the effect that their concept of rigid gender presentation has on people who want to present differently.

Like unless you just don't read some of the best books (dwarf books best books fight me) and especially stuff like monstrous regiment where the whole loving book is about gender politics, presentation, and identity, I just do not get how your loving brain can just bounce his points like a loving KV-2 at Raseiniai.

Well you see those are dwarfs which are fantasy and the book is actually a work of fiction. So I don't see what the concepts and messages within it could possibly have to do with the real world.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Really lovely! :sanix:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

I know you've mentioned it before but I can't seem to find the post now - what are these kits called and where do you get them from?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

OwlFancier posted:

Those do look very cute, polly pockets for adults.

This is cool as heck but now I just want a Mighty Max version

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This is cool as heck but now I just want a Mighty Max version

I think that's just making warhammer terrain

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know you've mentioned it before but I can't seem to find the post now - what are these kits called and where do you get them from?

Thanks everyone :3:

I get them on Amazon (I know) and you can find them by searching 'DIY miniature house kits'. The usual brand names are CUTEBEE and ROBOLIFE - they're Chinese resellers. The tin kits are around a tenner and the bigger house ones are anywhere from 15-60 quid depending. They change prices a lot so do some shopping around. I expect you could get them on Ali Express if you wanted. You'll want glue (I use white PVA and superglue mostly) and tweezers and ideally a craft knife or if not, some smallish scissors. Most kits need batteries and don't come with them, if you want to wire up lights. It's p easy.:)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

gh0stpinballa posted:

Still working thru it very slowly, need to take frequent breaks. Haven't got to much about Bulic Forsythe yet.

That's something I always find very frustrating about these independent inquiries, they are fairly toothless ultimately.

Well yeah, the inquiries are an opportunity for the guilty parties to legally cover themselves not an attempt to expose wrongdoing.

Theyr like the HR department of the state

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh no, a 7th (at least) Johnson child has been announced. How does that old fat drunk piece of poo poo manage to reproduce so much?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

marktheando posted:

Oh no, a 7th (at least) Johnson child has been announced. How does that old fat drunk piece of poo poo manage to reproduce so much?

'The seed is strong'..... pity it came from such a weed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I imagine he is perpetually coated in a layer of jizz that exudes from every pore and orifice.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

marktheando posted:

shag around as much as he does and it's pretty inevitable

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

OwlFancier posted:

But as people have demonstrated it is the literal actual loving text of the books, it is not subtext, a central arc of the dwarf books concerns the effect that their concept of rigid gender presentation has on people who want to present differently.

Like unless you just don't read some of the best books (dwarf books best books fight me) and especially stuff like monstrous regiment where the whole loving book is about gender politics, presentation, and identity, I just do not get how your loving brain can just bounce his points like a loving KV-2 at Raseiniai.

No no you see it's us trans people who are represented by the mainstream Dwarfish society since we are defenders of rigid concepts of gender and we demand that any sign of gender non-conformity just means you're trans and the medical establishment will rush to put you on irreversibly damaging puberty blockers right away.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

shag around as much as he does and it's pretty inevitable

I was going to say "The biggest surprise is that it's his wife's" but I suppose anyone else would be getting plenty of money to stay quiet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If I remember right, The Fifth Elephant literally ends with one of the conservative dwarfs from the dwarf homeland breaking down in furious tears over the Ankh-Morporkian dwarf women because "Why should they get to dress up like that?! I can't!"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And about the earlier Craig Murray chat, he is firmly on the pro-Salmond/pro-transphobia side of the indy movement, he leaked the victims identity deliberately because he thinks it's a Sturgeon conspiracy to frame innocent Salmond for being a rapist. He's a conspiracy guy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dabir posted:

If I remember right, The Fifth Elephant literally ends with one of the conservative dwarfs from the dwarf homeland breaking down in furious tears over the Ankh-Morporkian dwarf women because "Why should they get to dress up like that?! I can't!"

Thats the second last thing.
iirc the last thing is the Low King asking for fashion tips from Cheery

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/31/keir-starmers-aide-warns-labour-has-lost-touch-with-target-voters

quote:

Some in Starmer’s team believe the party is still suffering damage from the Corbyn era, which ended with the 2019 defeat. Many of those who deserted, in what were previously solid Labour seats, have yet to “get to know” Starmer, say MPs. A senior frontbencher said: “The pandemic has not helped Keir. It is has been difficult to get himself known. The party conference gives an opportunity to introduce him to the country. But there is no time to waste.”

Something, something, 'jokerised', something something.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The article gets far, FAR worse from there, but I'm just too dispirited to post any more.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Every time Starmy does something people dislike him even more... when will Corbyn's bloodlust be sated?

Also you say the article gets worse as it goes on, but it peaks with the very first line in the article. I mean holy poo poo it's just gobbledegook.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 31, 2021

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

The article gets far, FAR worse from there, but I'm just too dispirited to post any more.
See I'm not dispirited, I'm just jaded, because its almost exactly what was being printed a year ago.

Like if you step back and and look at what they're planning its;

1) Keith does a big fancy speech at the next Labour conference
2) ???
3) Massive election win in 2023

I actually thought a while ago "I can't wait to see Keith's next re-introduction to Britain" and now I'm just loving bored of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Politician can't get anyone to pay attention to him, or like him, or really remember that he exists. This is somehow someone else's fault.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"The shadow of Jeremy Corbyn looms large over the Labour Party," says man holding a giant cardboard cutout of Jeremy Corbyn next to a floodlight.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

happyhippy posted:

Thats the second last thing.
iirc the last thing is the Low King asking for fashion tips from Cheery

The bit where cheery is flabbergasted by the idea of shaving her beard is one of the loveliest bits of writing he ever did imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
ah yes the pandemic, in which millions of people stayed at home with nothing to do but watch TV or go online, presented no opportunity to communicate Keith's policies to a wider audience