Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Seamus Heaney does a good job of communicating the original sound and feel of the poem if you read it in the original.

Tolkiens commentary is great but from what I remember assumes you're reading in the original.

It is possible to learn to read the original with a few dedicated weeks of work, it isn't as far off modern English as it first appears.

There are several accessible open free online Old English courses available. If you can wrap your head around the inflections (and if you've done any Latin, you can), vocabulary rapidly becomes the biggest obstacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Seamus Heaney does a good job of communicating the original sound and feel of the poem if you read it in the original.

Available on YouTube, read by himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaB0trCztM0

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Tolkiens commentary is great but from what I remember assumes you're reading in the original.

It is possible to learn to read the original with a few dedicated weeks of work, it isn't as far off modern English as it first appears.

TBH i was expecting it to be much closer to modern english than it actually is. I only took a quick glimpse at a few verses. I'm nearly fluent in english, and have studied some swedish and german, and still found it quite foreign, so probaby not going to invest extra time to read the original.

Weird that Tolkien's commentary is based on the original, yet the book contains his translation only, and not the original text.

I'll check amazon to see if i find a Heany translation with footnotes or something.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The commentary and the translation aren’t directly related except insofar as they’re both products of JRRT’s study of Beowulf. Translation was done in the 20s as a fairly literal gloss in prose, commentary was compiled over the next two decades from his notes on lectures that he was giving on the original poem. It is a good commentary but was always going to have a difficulty in presentation, it’s so elliptical you could hardly append it as footnotes. Kind of weird to publish them together but I guess neither one makes a book on its own.

I will say that if you wanted to learn about Old English, the Beowulf commentary will teach you a lot, since that’s precisely the purpose of the lectures from which it was taken, to teach students OE.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 21, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nemo posted:

TBH i was expecting it to be much closer to modern english than it actually is. I only took a quick glimpse at a few verses. I'm nearly fluent in english, and have studied some swedish and german, and still found it quite foreign, so probaby not going to invest extra time to read the original.

Weird that Tolkien's commentary is based on the original, yet the book contains his translation only, and not the original text.

I'll check amazon to see if i find a Heany translation with footnotes or something.

If you can do Swedish and German you shouldn't have much trouble at all with the Old English once you get past pronunciation basics, but I'm not going to hector you into learning Old English beyond a bit of encouragement if you're not interested. I'm working on learning it right now, coming to it having read extreme amounts of early modern English, a fair amount of middle English, small French and then like, a theoretical knowledge of Latin which I've never taken the time to improve. After about 3 weeks in of putting 30-60 minutes into per day I'm getting to pretty good reading comprehension of the language. Swedish and German puts you way ahead of me to start.

The grammar is the hardest part because something like 80% of the vocabulary is just familiar English words disguised in ancient orthography and pronunciation, and you have that grammar already.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

There's a bilingual edition of Heaney's translation which I've got and it's really nice: https://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-Verse-Translation-Seamus-Heaney/dp/0374111197

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tangentially, I'm still slowly reading through LOTR after a break of some years. Of course I noticed a long time ago that Tolkien starts getting into more high-flown modes of speech as the story proceeds from the Shire to the South, but I think it's only this time that I realized that for the Rohirrim, he'll drop in lines of Beowulfish alliterative verse into the prose. I.e. Theoden assaulting the flag-bearer of the Haradrim, "Out swept his sword, and he spurred to the standard, hewed staff and bearer, and the black serpent foundered." It's fun to watch! I imagine Tolkien with a faint smile on his face, working those into the text.

Theoden and Eomer's battle poems are also in alliterative verse, of course, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens elsewhere, but it's really noticeable with the Rohirrim sections.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phy posted:

Tangentially, I'm still slowly reading through LOTR after a break of some years. Of course I noticed a long time ago that Tolkien starts getting into more high-flown modes of speech as the story proceeds from the Shire to the South, but I think it's only this time that I realized that for the Rohirrim, he'll drop in lines of Beowulfish alliterative verse into the prose. I.e. Theoden assaulting the flag-bearer of the Haradrim, "Out swept his sword, and he spurred to the standard, hewed staff and bearer, and the black serpent foundered." It's fun to watch! I imagine Tolkien with a faint smile on his face, working those into the text.

Theoden and Eomer's battle poems are also in alliterative verse, of course, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens elsewhere, but it's really noticeable with the Rohirrim sections.

Check out how he reads Theoden's call to ride here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6jhKEqtLxM&t=419s

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Phy posted:

That part about the black serpent really confused me when I was a kid, especially since Theoden says it again as he died - I felled the black serpent. I always thought he was referring to the Witch King’s steed, which Eowyn has just killed and I’m like, dude no you didn’t.

Only when I was older did I realise he meant the black serpent banner!!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Check out how he reads Theoden's call to ride here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6jhKEqtLxM&t=419s

gently caress this is really good.

e: listening to him reading Riddles in the Dark and he reads Gollum with what sounds like a faint Welsh accent

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 22, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Once you listen to Tolkien you can't not hear how Ian McKellen adopted his mode when acting out Gandalf.

I wouldn't call Tolkien a great vocal narrator, necessarily. He's a writer first and he speaks like a professor; great for presenting before a class. His cadence and the way he switches how he speaks to differentiate Elvish, Hobbitish, Mannish and Dwarvish speech is really cool, though.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Can someone please poo poo talk this book? https://www.eastonpress.com/all-categories/sci-fi-and-fantasy/the-illustrated-world-of-tolkien-3643.html

Tell me it's strongly inspired by the movies or something, or that the paper quality leaves a lot to be desired.

The other books also look so good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You don't even need to be extensive, just say "Lol, David Day"

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Mr. Nemo posted:

Can someone please poo poo talk this book? https://www.eastonpress.com/all-categories/sci-fi-and-fantasy/the-illustrated-world-of-tolkien-3643.html

Tell me it's strongly inspired by the movies or something, or that the paper quality leaves a lot to be desired.

The other books also look so good.

Yeah dude just google David Day Tolkien. He and his works are not well-regarded.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The artwork is nice but you might as well look up the artists themselves.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One thing I noted on my recent reread is Tolkien's habit of using a device I think of 'as if thing actually thing'. That is to say, he likes to describe something starting with "as if..." and then describing exactly what it is, or was, no 'as if' about it.

For example, imagine I put a dollar in a vending machine, got a Pepsi, and put it on a table and left the room. In comes Tolkien, and he describes the scene: "a Pepsi sat on the table, as if someone had just placed it there after getting it out of the nearby vending machine."

A good example is when Frodo puts on the ring 'accidentally' in the Prancing Pony. Tolkien says, "It seemed to him, somehow, as if the suggestion came to him... from someone or something in the room."

'As if'? That's exactly what happened. Anyway, once you notice this habit you find Tolkien using it constantly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eru did it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Imagined posted:

One thing I noted on my recent reread is Tolkien's habit of using a device I think of 'as if thing actually thing'. That is to say, he likes to describe something starting with "as if..." and then describing exactly what it is, or was, no 'as if' about it.

For example, imagine I put a dollar in a vending machine, got a Pepsi, and put it on a table and left the room. In comes Tolkien, and he describes the scene: "a Pepsi sat on the table, as if someone had just placed it there after getting it out of the nearby vending machine."

A good example is when Frodo puts on the ring 'accidentally' in the Prancing Pony. Tolkien says, "It seemed to him, somehow, as if the suggestion came to him... from someone or something in the room."

'As if'? That's exactly what happened. Anyway, once you notice this habit you find Tolkien using it constantly.

Yes, JRRT loves this device, particularly when something shady or supernatural is happening.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Imagined posted:

he sprang, as though he had sprung

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It was as though the Balrog had wings...

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Speaking of balrogs: can we talk about how loving awesome Boromir is? Dude gets a bad rap by comparison with Faramir, and for trying to take the ring. BUT.

Dude was just a regular rear end human, and he was willing to stand and throw down with a mothafuckin balrog next to a demigod/wizard and an heir of one of the heroes of the age against the kind of thing that the likes of Feanor, Ecthelion, and Durin died trying to fight. An angel, a guy with a thousand year old sword. Boromir's sword doesn't have a name. It wasn't forged by elves. There's no poetry about Boromir. And yet he was willing to fight a thing that even Gandalf couldn't defeat without sacrificing himself.

Another detail I love regarding Boromir is that, defending Merry and Pippin, he kills so many orcs that later some of them try to establish their bona fides by bragging about taking him down. "We slew the great warrior."

Boromir owns. Not his fault the ring corrupts everyone.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 1, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Boromir also did twice as much traveling as nearly everyone else just to get to Rivendell. While everybody at the council is talking up current events in Middle Earth, Boromir just says "yeah, my horse got killed and I spent the last four months hiking all the way north on foot fighting everything between Cair Andros and the Brandywine"

And then he immediately was ready to turn right back around and do another extreme camping trip.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Imagined posted:

Another detail I love regarding Boromir is that, defending Merry and Pippin, he kills so many orcs that later some of them try to establish their bona fides by bragging about taking him down. "We slew the great warrior."

Boromir owns. Not his fault the ring corrupts everyone.

When Aragorn finds him it specifically mentions the amount of dead orcs lying around him as "20 at least" which is crazy :black101:

E) Not to mention he's all hosed up and filled with arrows but still alive and just chilling propped up against a tree.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 1, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Imagined posted:

There's no poetry about Boromir.

Oh yes there is. :colbert:

And the name of that smiley is appropriate, as he's a big fan.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

yeah, boromir was one of the characters that got character assassinated in the movies

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
And also sort of actually assassinated

e: who else would you add to that list?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Gandalf: just points Frodo and Sam in the direction of Rivendell and ditches them on their own in the middle of the woods to go see Saruman about the ring completely out of nowhere, what was he thinking lol. Also gets his rear end kicked by the witch king
Elrond: just kind of a jerk
Gimli: everyone’s drunk uncle
Faramir: beats prisoners for information
Denethor: incompetent twat, won’t even defend his own city
Frodo: tells Sam to walk home from Minas Morgul lmao
Aragorn: kills the messenger

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

all of the characters in the movies are made dumber by different degrees. i also didnt like how elrond basically just turns into a jealous father when in the book he essentially just wants aragorn to save the world before he thinks it'll be safe enough for his daughter to marry him and stay there, not because he's jealous but because he thinks it isn't safe

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

gimli and steward would be the biggest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont think boromir was done dirty in the films. If anything I felt they played up his more noble qualities. Boromir faltering or showing desperation in the films is used instead as a way for Aragorn to go through the character arc he'd already resolved before setting out on the quest in the book.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, boromir was one of the characters that got character assassinated in the movies

Counterpoint: He's probably the most nuanced character in the movies. He's never shown as a bad guy, but someone who struggles to do the good thing. Him trying to take the ring isn't portrayed as him becoming a villain but having a moment of weakness which he instantly regrets.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: He's probably the most nuanced character in the movies. He's never shown as a bad guy, but someone who struggles to do the good thing. Him trying to take the ring isn't portrayed as him becoming a villain but having a moment of weakness which he instantly regrets.

Absolutely. Boromir in the movies was given a sympathetic portrayal as a noble, caring man who struggled with his flaws and died a hero's death. As a longtime fan of the book the movies gave me a more positive view of him than all of my many rereads of how much he liked camping.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

He arguably gets a better death in the movie too. In the book he just dies, but in the movie he gets a badass final fight and reconcile with Aragorn.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Alhazred posted:

He arguably gets a better death in the movie too. In the book he just dies, but in the movie he gets a badass final fight and reconcile with Aragorn.

Indeed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In the book he also lies to Aragorn about looking for frodo before they find him dying later.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
'My brother, my captain, my king' just starts the tears for me every time. Boromir is my favourite.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Sean Bean is pretty much the perfect casting for a noble but flawed hero who redeems himself by dying a tragic death.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Gimli and Denethor are no doubt the worst off, but I'd include Theoden too.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

aragorn shouldve been ciaran hinds with long hair so hed look like the ralph bakshi version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ravenfood posted:

Gimli and Denethor are no doubt the worst off, but I'd include Theoden too.

Two Towers Theoden. Return of the King Theoden is perfect.