Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

DildenAnders posted:

Any recommendations for a cheap controller that will work with/mount a Galaxy S8?
By mount I mean something that holds the phone with it, so the controller and phone are together. Old gamebox games with touch controls is much more of a hassle than I ever thought it would be, so the more like a Gameboy the better.

I think the 8bitdo sn30 pro plus and its accompanying clip is the go-to for this particular situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So my partner and I are watching Olympic rugby and one of the teams on defense keeps getting the ball back and I'm not sure why. They are getting the offensive player on the ground but then the announcer says oh penalty the ball turns over and I'm not sure why. Both teams seem to be tackling the player with the ball but what's the difference? And why is one an offensive penalty?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there a movie podcast dedicated to discussion and analysis of new releases? I want to listen to smart people talk about The Green Knight

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm moving to the US from canada soon on a TN visa.

Is there anything special I'll need to do to get myself set up with an american bank account, credit card, phone plan, etc.
And what else do I need to do, I guess.

My company will give me health insurance so I think that's fine. What do I need to do to re-license/import my vehicle, assuming I don't just decide to buy a new one altogether. What do I need to tell the canadian government to gently caress off that I'm not a Canadian tax resident anymore.

Do I just leave my canadian TFSA/RRSP, unregistered investment accounts alone and not touch them. Instead leaving them until the exchange rate is good again (LOL) or I'm retired.

What's the proper thread for this?

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 1, 2021

Carillon
May 9, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there a movie podcast dedicated to discussion and analysis of new releases? I want to listen to smart people talk about The Green Knight

Well I like filmspotting, it's not always every new release, but I've always enjoyed their commentary and the talking about The Green Knight next week.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Carillon posted:

Well I like filmspotting, it's not always every new release, but I've always enjoyed their commentary and the talking about The Green Knight next week.

Perfect, thank you.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Methanar posted:

I'm moving to the US from canada soon on a TN visa.

Is there anything special I'll need to do to get myself set up with an american bank account, credit card, phone plan, etc.
And what else do I need to do, I guess.

My company will give me health insurance so I think that's fine. What do I need to do to re-license/import my vehicle, assuming I don't just decide to buy a new one altogether. What do I need to tell the canadian government to gently caress off that I'm not a Canadian tax resident anymore.

Do I just leave my canadian TFSA/RRSP, unregistered investment accounts alone and not touch them. Instead leaving them until the exchange rate is good again (LOL) or I'm retired.

People usually make new threads for stuff like this in Ask/Tell or maybe Travel and Tourism.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I mean my one piece of advice as someone who's done that kind of thing in other countries is that everything gets really really easy when you bring your passport places (banks, getting a phone, etc), and I was an idiot and just carried my passport around. Depending on who you have helping you, like your company or whatever, you might end up with a lot of instructions along the lines of "bring your passport to the bank," and my suggestion is (especially since everything's going to be in English) to just take copies of your passport everywhere and leave your passport where you're staying.
Like it probably seems like really obvious advice not to carry such an extremely important item around but my experience as a dumbass kid twenty-something year old is that just showing your passport makes a lot of stuff really easy and I at least didn't think things through. Places are probably going to ask you to bring your real passport and maybe you'll end up having to, but don't be like me and literally carry it around "just in case" for the first few weeks.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

DildenAnders posted:

Any recommendations for a cheap controller that will work with/mount a Galaxy S8?
By mount I mean something that holds the phone with it, so the controller and phone are together. Old gamebox games with touch controls is much more of a hassle than I ever thought it would be, so the more like a Gameboy the better.
I don't know what you mean by "cheap" but you can get a Razer Kishi for $50. Razer says it fits the Galaxy S8.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Carillon posted:

So my partner and I are watching Olympic rugby and one of the teams on defense keeps getting the ball back and I'm not sure why. They are getting the offensive player on the ground but then the announcer says oh penalty the ball turns over and I'm not sure why. Both teams seem to be tackling the player with the ball but what's the difference? And why is one an offensive penalty?

Sounds like the offensive player isn't releasing the ball quickly enough after being tackled? They'll probably know exactly what it was in the thread for Olympic rugby https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974565

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Methanar posted:

What do I need to tell the canadian government to gently caress off that I'm not a Canadian tax resident anymore.

If you're not receiving a GST rebate or child subsidy or whatever you can probably just file your last tax return as normal and indicate you're no longer a resident as of whatever date. If it seems sketchy CRA will hound you about documentation, otherwise they'll take your word for it.

Are you ever coming back (to live)? If yes, probably keep TFSA/RRSP accounts if you can afford to. For unregistered accounts, I think leaving the country as a resident will cause a tax event/deemed disposition, so talk to an accountant. That's if they're in stocks or whatever, if it's just cash probably fine.

Let your bank know you're no longer a resident, I think it matters for KYC rules and stuff.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My dog found this young bird in my yard this morning. It hopped away quickly but hasn’t moved since it began hiding in some tall grass. It doesn’t look injured, but there is a mysterious illness affecting birds in my state. I can’t tell if it’s exhibiting symptoms or not, though. There are nests nearby but too high for me to reach to put him back in one. What should I do? Wait and see, or call a wildlife rehabilitation center? Located in Indiana.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Lawnie posted:

My dog found this young bird in my yard this morning.

Just a thought, you could try cross posting this in PI for faster/more/better informed responses.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I'm no expert but that looks to me like some sort of cowbird/ other broad parasite

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lawnie posted:

My dog found this young bird in my yard this morning. It hopped away quickly but hasn’t moved since it began hiding in some tall grass. It doesn’t look injured, but there is a mysterious illness affecting birds in my state. I can’t tell if it’s exhibiting symptoms or not, though. There are nests nearby but too high for me to reach to put him back in one. What should I do? Wait and see, or call a wildlife rehabilitation center? Located in Indiana.

That's a fledgling. He probably recently left his nest. If he's not visibly injured he's probably fine. Keep an eye on him if you want, see if his parents swing around to check on him. Bird parents follow their fledglings around and continue to feed them and look after them for some time until the babies are old enough to fend entirely for themselves.

If his parents don't show up, call your wildlife rehabber.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

That's a fledgling. He probably recently left his nest. If he's not visibly injured he's probably fine. Keep an eye on him if you want, see if his parents swing around to check on him. Bird parents follow their fledglings around and continue to feed them and look after them for some time until the babies are old enough to fend entirely for themselves.

If his parents don't show up, call your wildlife rehabber.

I went out about 30 minutes later and 3 or 4 adult birds flitted away from his spot. If the yellow appearance on his beak isn’t concerning then I’ll just wait and see when he leaves on his own.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Grouchio posted:

Can I still donate sperm someday if I have HFAutism and a gluten allergen?

Depends on your local sperm bank's requirements, plus your age, education level, genetic history, amount of diseases you carry, your height, possibly skin color and if you have any disfigurements. If you aren't going through a bank, go hog wild

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just bought a house. I have one very important question: With the house came a microwave with a metal grille in it. My question is: why doesn't it explode or whatever usually happens with metal in microwaves? The microwave cooks oatmeal just fine, and the grille is magnetic.

Also the house has a bathroom that leaks through the floor and and insulated basement. But those are minor issues compared to the magic microwave.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

"Never put metal in the microwave!" is a bit of an exaggeration. It largely depends on the composition and shape of the metal. Consider this: the inner walls of the microwave are made of metal (as is the grille in the door), but they are flat planes, and simply reflect the EM radiation back.

E: Another example. Microwave popcorn bags have a thin sheet of metal, but all it does is get hot, so that the oil gets hot enough. It doesn't arc or anything.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 1, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Do employers still screen for marijuana in staes where it's legal (ex. NY)?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

DildenAnders posted:

It depends. In California, some employers will excluded it from the drug panel, while others will still test it and deny employment if the person tests positive. The state is trying to get that changed, but I don't think anything has been passed yet.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Also, some companies are never going to change even if it's 100% legal everywhere. Some companies exclude for nicotine and apparently that is 100% kosher if that's any indication of if they will do it or not.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

LorneReams posted:

Some companies exclude for nicotine

:what:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

LorneReams posted:

Also, some companies are never going to change even if it's 100% legal everywhere. Some companies exclude for nicotine and apparently that is 100% kosher if that's any indication of if they will do it or not.

It’s always a difficult choice, but in the end you hire the candidate least likely to exit the building 40 times a day.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

Grocery stores no longer do, in Colorado at least. I think more companies will move to not testing for cannabis due to the labor shortage.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

DildenAnders posted:

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is that it depends on the employer, and sometimes the job you are applying for. My understanding that in California you can currently have a situation where (among employers who test at all) some companies will still test and exclude you for THC, some will test but remove THC from the panel, and some will test without removing THC from the panel, but will only exclude you if they feel like the position they are potentially hiring you for puts them at risk if there is an accident and you are 'high.'

For examples of the latter, a city government might test you for THC, but not exclude you if the job you are applying for is working in an office filing papers; however, if you are going to be hired to be a bus driver, then testing positive for THC will immediately exclude you.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I should also add that even for employees that don't screen for new hires, they will if you have a qualifying workplace incident (ie, you hurt yourself on the job) and if you test positive for marijuana you can / will be denied worker's comp and will probably be fired.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Carillon posted:

This might help: https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/15

I'm about the worst qualified guy in NZ to explain it but basically when the ball goes to ground the players try and push the other team off the ball until someone can pick it up and pass it. The way it's supposed to be done is quite specific and a lot of the time the ruck ends because someone breaks one of the rules instead.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How is weightlifting a sport if lifters already know how much they can lift?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

They get horribly injured if they don’t lift the thing with perfect form. Kinda like skateboarding when you think about it.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

But they've practiced lifting it before showing up to the Olympics right?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

You could say the same of gymnastics, or swimming, or running. The execution under pressure is the nature (and appeal) of the sport.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Baron Porkface posted:

But they've practiced lifting it before showing up to the Olympics right?

Not necessarily, I assume some lifters set personal records at the Olympics and other competitions, just like setting any world record in any other sport means doing it faster/better than anyone including yourself has ever done it before.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A lifter gets three attempts in competition, so they'll often use the first or the first two to lift weights they've hit before, but the third will generally be a new personal record (or Olympic record, or world record) if they get it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Wouldn't you take the risk on the first or second attempt when you are fresh? Similar to how you would try to ace in tennis on the first attempt and then if you miss, go for the safe serve?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No, because the attempts are required to be increasing in weight.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Also generally people find themselves lifting their most in their second to last set or so. Pushing the weight higher each attempt really works.

e: me speaking as an occasional casual weightlifter, not a pro or anything

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is there a thread or place that's good for asking questions about doing a roadtrip?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
So I have an old external hard drive from college that I partitioned for schoolwork, with part being for PC use and part being for Mac use. I was able to access the PC side just fine using my Android phone and a couple of adapters, not ideal but better than nothing. I was wondering though, is it possible to access/view the Mac portion without actually using a Mac? I haven't used one since school and am not sure where I'd find access to one now but was trying to recover some files from that part of the drive and I'm kind of at a loss. I do have access to computers with Windows if using my phone isn't an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Crankit posted:

Is there a thread or place that's good for asking questions about doing a roadtrip?

Travel and Tourism is a subforum under Ask/Tell. That seems like the best place to make a thread.