Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1421855112180518913
https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1421867952849235975

As a fully-vaccinated non-senior, just based on back-of-the-envelope math, it must be something like 20x more like I am hospitalized due to a car crash

I am not saying that to say we should take no COVID precautions because there are various dangers in our world

I am saying that because, "well, what will the legacy of your death be" is a preposterous question that thus far may not have even been shown to be possible to me or a person like me

Also consider that all vaccines have declining effectiveness for people 65+, so again, I am celebrating how good these vaccines are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pinecone Sample posted:

As a fully-vaccinated non-senior, just based on back-of-the-envelope math, it must be something like 20x more like I am hospitalized due to a car crash

I am not saying that to say we should take no COVID precautions because there are various dangers in our world

I am saying that because, "well, what will the legacy of your death be" is a preposterous question that thus far may not have even been shown to be possible to me or a person like me

Also consider that all vaccines have declining effectiveness for people 65+, so again, I am celebrating how good these vaccines are
Before you celebrate too much, did you recall the part where kids can't get vaccinated for covid yet, or where the vaccinated seem to be spreading this thing just like the unvaccinated because its preferred hangout (the nose) is a good hideout from the circulatory immune system?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Pinecone Sample posted:

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1421855112180518913
https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1421867952849235975

I appreciate your post. I'm 50 but I also know how car crashes are in the main way people get hurt in the US and I so appreciate seeing the comparison for hospitalization causes. It's completely acceptable to be reminded of the relative risks and feel relieved.

It's a good thing :)

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Zugzwang posted:

Before you celebrate too much, did you recall the part where kids can't get vaccinated for covid yet, or where the vaccinated seem to be spreading this thing just like the unvaccinated because its preferred hangout (the nose) is a good hideout from the circulatory immune system?

I don't know what any of that has to do with being told that my death would be held up as an example by antivaxers, but sure, yes, I agree with you that as a society we are a long way from out of the woods.

I don't accept your idea that the vaccinated are spreading this thing just like the unvaccinated. The breakthrough-vaccinated have the capacity at a point in time to spread it just like the unvaccinated, depending on who they are present with indoors, if you want to say that.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

I'm not going to respond to the rest of it, and I'm not trying to be a doomer here, you can even look through my post history on this thread and see I'm really not one. But this specific piece is the single most dishonest stat I keep seeing people cling to.

It uses the same exact logic as someone saying "99% of people in the US didn't catch covid, why worry?" this time last year. It's essentially using a backwards version of attack rate, in a context where attack rate isn't even useful.

A far more useful stat to use are the various efficacy studies that have been done. Hell, even the Israel study had it at 64% effective at preventing even asymptomatic infection.

There's plenty of reason to celebrate vaccines, but you can do so with actual efficacy numbers, not a bullshit dishonest framing of statistics.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My dad's been taking it every week/day? (his story changes) for months and he can't keep his poo poo straight anymore. He randomly lashes out and hears voices while he's sitting around. He falls asleep at the drop of a hat. I use this stuff on my sheep and it doesn't do that to any of them, but I have no idea what it's doing to my father; who I've told to stop repeatedly. He's feeding it to my mom (she knows, she just doesn't care) and her creatinine is creeping up.

I wouldn't be surprised if he accidentally kills both of them. You can't even buy the tubes around here at TSC unless you tell the clerk you aren't going to take it and then they have to go unlock a case to get it.

Rat your stupid father out to the local shops and make it very clear to the managers that you will sue the poo poo out of them if your parents get sick from farm meds they sold them after being told that the buyer was outright lying to them about human use.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm not going to respond to the rest of it, and I'm not trying to be a doomer here, you can even look through my post history on this thread and see I'm really not one. But this specific piece is the single most dishonest stat I keep seeing people cling to.

It uses the same exact logic as someone saying "99% of people in the US didn't catch covid, why worry?" this time last year. It's essentially using a backwards version of attack rate, in a context where attack rate isn't even useful.

A far more useful stat to use are the various efficacy studies that have been done. Hell, even the Israel study had it at 64% effective at preventing even asymptomatic infection.

There's plenty of reason to celebrate vaccines, but you can do so with actual efficacy numbers, not a bullshit dishonest framing of statistics.

yeah it's a bad statistic

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Norway is still lagging behind the EU in fully vaccinated people I see, atleast vaccine hesitancy is pretty low, and we're up to 82.8% of adults with 1 dose, 42% with both.

I do wonder how many countries will actually reach 90%+.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

John_A_Tallon posted:

Rat your stupid father out to the local shops and make it very clear to the managers that you will sue the poo poo out of them if your parents get sick from farm meds they sold them after being told that the buyer was outright lying to them about human use.

This.

Also, re: brain damage from roni, I'm curious if that's mitigated at all by being vaccinated. I know it's early days with people being vaccinated, but I'd love to know if this would help. I got one of my good friends to get his vax by telling him about long covid and possible brain damage. He was a wait and see on side effects guy.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I see Israel at 62% fully vaccinated at Ourworldindata (July 31st data), and 66.84% with at least one dose.

Why does this guy have them at ... I dunno, but less than 60? When I look at the same graph on ourworldindata, it shows 130 doses per 100 for Canada and 128 for Israel, which matches up with everything exxcept his Y axis.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 1, 2021

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm still struggling with the idea of counties that, after all that's happened, still have a vaccination rate of less than 20%.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1421873311420755968
https://twitter.com/PeterSchorschFL/status/1421906424179929099
https://twitter.com/BenBeckerANjax/status/1421887503854968842
https://twitter.com/CarlosGSmith/status/1421925539087011840

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm still struggling with the idea of counties that, after all that's happened, still have a vaccination rate of less than 20%.

I know someone smart that isn't vaxxed. I absolutely do not get it. They believe that the chances of down the road injury from the vaccine is greater than injury from covid.

It greatly saddens me. The odds that they are correct are so bad.
:negative:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

I don't accept your idea that the vaccinated are spreading this thing just like the unvaccinated. The breakthrough-vaccinated have the capacity at a point in time to spread it just like the unvaccinated, depending on who they are present with indoors, if you want to say that.

You don't have to accept it, but the scientific evidence is suggesting that it's true (or close to being true). Do not fall into the trap of thinking that only breakthrough cases spread the virus.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

My mom lives out in rural PA in an area where COVID hasn't had a big breakout and I wouldn't be shocked if it's around 20% there. Neither her nor any of her local friends have been vaccinated and they all hang out together unmasked a few nights a week, many of them are 50-60+. They're basically treating it like they live in a protected island and COVID is something cityfolk have to deal with (while still taking visits from friends and family from all over).

Until last weekend at least, now they all have second-hand exposure to COVID and are all currently quarantined waiting to see if anyone gets sick. I wouldn't be shocked if that made them evaluate their choices. I also wouldn't be shocked if they were having another barn party next weekend. Oh well.

My mom at least claims she's taking COVID as seriously as she's taking her refusal to get vaccinated now, in that she's planning to hole up in her house and not accept visitors until COVID miraculously goes away.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

You don't have to accept it, but the scientific evidence is suggesting that it's true (or close to being true). Do not fall into the trap of thinking that only breakthrough cases spread the virus.

So this is a thing that seems to be getting mixed up quite a bit.

When you're saying "breakthrough" you're referring to symptomatic cases in vaccinated people, right?

Because the big thing that changed recently was the understanding that asymptomatic vaccinated cases have viral loads similar to the unvaccinated ones, and that viral load is sufficient to spread the virus.

I've seen a lot of people implying the change is actually that vaccinated people get infected just as often, but are asymptomatic, which seems to be a mistake, unless they are referring to something that is in neither the CDC leaked slide deck nor the recently published report from the outbreak in MA.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Spinz posted:

I know someone who thinks they're smart but is actually dumb as hell that isn't vaxxed.

FTFY.

But seriously many, maybe the majority of people, simply can't contextualize risk in the way needed to combat Covid. That's probably been true for decades, and it may have been worse in the past (less access to education, leaded gasoline), but thanks to conservative and social media spreading conspiratorial thinking, now many just completely distrust government institutions. Yes the CDC and the WHO got it wrong initially with lockdowns and mask mandates, but even if they'd gotten it right, it wouldn't have changed any opinions in the anti-vax and anti-mask crowd.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 1, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

There's one in Ohio and it's a majority Amish county.

Combine typical rural chuds with that and it's really easy to end up with a teeny tiny vaccination rate.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

wilderthanmild posted:

I've seen a lot of people implying the change is actually that vaccinated people get infected just as often, but are asymptomatic, which seems to be a mistake, unless they are referring to something that is in neither the CDC leaked slide deck nor the recently published report from the outbreak in MA.
They are likely responding to this bit of misinformation from a New York Times headline that made its way around:
https://twitter.com/MarcGoldwein/status/1421098255144869890

The underlying article has correct information but the headline is very clearly poorly worded at best (and still hasn't been corrected).

Subtitle, not headline posted:

Infections in vaccinated Americans are rare, compared with those in unvaccinated people, the document said. But when they occur, vaccinated people may spread the virus just as easily.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1421537754522001416

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Right now it is a bit premature to draw too many conclusions from the study I'm linking below since the sample size isn't massive, but there is some evidence that the Delta variant is far more likely to breakthrough natural immunity (obtained from a previous infection of an earlier SARS-CoV-2 variant) than the vaccine-induced immunity from two doses of the approved mRNA vaccines.

Source comes from a study mentioned in this MedCram video at 7:00 through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RWGh19yTXw

We should keep an eye out for SARS-CoV-2 reinfections by Delta from people who were never vaccinated but were previously infected by an earlier variant of SARS-CoV-2. I suspect we'll see significantly more of those situations given the data obtained from this study than we will of people who were double-mRNA-vaccinated and then got infected.

TL;DR: Get vaccinated immediately if you aren't. Even if you previously have been infected by SARS-CoV-2. Ideally by the mRNA vaccines.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ShadowHawk posted:

welcome to rural nc. i have such sights to show you. but i recommend masking up first.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I thought it was pretty much established that post-infection immunity is significantly weaker than vaccine-prompted immunity when it comes to covid.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The local blood donation people don't test blood for covid and say there is no evidence for covid being transmitted by blood, is that real?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's a blood vessel disease that enters the bloodstream through the lungs! That has to be wrong

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

It's a blood vessel disease that enters the bloodstream through the lungs! That has to be wrong

NHS Blood also aren't concerned with transmission via blood (although of course they don't want you coming in when infected).

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I thought it was pretty much established that post-infection immunity is significantly weaker than vaccine-prompted immunity when it comes to covid.

This sucks, we were hoping our 4 year old having caught it already would give her a little bit of an edge against reinfection.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I wonder if they have decided that covid’s propensity for causing brain damage in survivors is going to be a source of millions of new republican voters.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

This sucks, we were hoping our 4 year old having caught it already would give her a little bit of an edge against reinfection.

I'm not a doctor, but from what I have picked up in the last year it does seem that vaccination provides better long-term immunity than infection. Infection followed by vaccination seems to confer really good protection, so if it's any comfort I would think she does have some level of immunity already, and once she can get vaccinated then it should be really solid.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My brother's girlfriend just had a baby on Friday. They're already home and wanting visitors despite the fact there is covid all over (we had 2k new cases in my state today). I already told my mom/baby's grandmother we are not going over for a while. Meanwhile other family members have already visited.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

My brother's girlfriend just had a baby on Friday. They're already home and wanting visitors despite the fact there is covid all over (we had 2k new cases in my state today). I already told my mom/baby's grandmother we are not going over for a while. Meanwhile other family members have already visited.

Even ignoring covid that's just a horrible idea. RSV is rampant right now and a newborn with RSV is going to end up in intensive care.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I dont actively wish death upon anyone but watching red states Darwin themselves to death is just hilarious. I don’t feel bad or pity anymore.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I dont actively wish death upon anyone but watching red states Darwin themselves to death is just hilarious. I don’t feel bad or pity anymore.

I do feel bad, while some of them are surely dicks, I believe the majority just don't have the social environment to avoid misinformation, it's not their fault. What cognitive biases are we vulnerable to? I hope someone is kind to me when I'm old and believe aliens are among us or whatever.

I guess being online all these years before Facebook allowed me to be more skeptical of whatever trash they see on social networks.

Same with the youngs today seeing tiktok people telling them vaccines make you magnetic, they're fuuuuucked. (unless society does something about it NOW)

I blame facebook, users should demand some fact checking instead of letting every poo poo theory fly and let them believe they've uncovered a conspiracy

The ability to report your local streetlight is broken on facebook doesn't mean you're about to crack the secret illuminati code

agghh I hate facebook so much

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My dad's been taking it every week/day? (his story changes) for months and he can't keep his poo poo straight anymore. He randomly lashes out and hears voices while he's sitting around. He falls asleep at the drop of a hat.

I'm not a doctor, but... um... there might be bigger problems here.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I do feel bad, while some of them are surely dicks, I believe the majority just don't have the social environment to avoid misinformation, it's not their fault.

This is horseshit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

I don't feel bad for the chuds inflicting covid on themselves and each other, I expect Sturgis will become a deep trough of well-deserved ridicule. I do feel bad for the millions of normal people who have to work with or serve chuds on a daily basis, and not just because of the covid risk

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

I don't feel bad for the chuds inflicting covid on themselves and each other, I expect Sturgis will become a deep trough of well-deserved ridicule. I do feel bad for the millions of normal people who have to work with or serve chuds on a daily basis, and not just because of the covid risk

I also feel bad for their families. Even when your mom/dad/brother/whatever is a chud, a lot of the time you still love them and don't want them to die of this.

I am very thankful my right wing parents were miraculously not dumb about this one thing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Crankit posted:

The local blood donation people don't test blood for covid and say there is no evidence for covid being transmitted by blood, is that real?
They screen via donors rather than after donation. What the "no evidence" probably means here is that they haven't caught any tainted blood via the test that the pre-donation screening wouldn't have also caught.

This isn't just for covid - they try to screen out all manner of cold/flu-like symptoms in the same way. That's why you can only donate when you're feeling well and healthy, and if you get sick in the next few days they give you a number to call to report that your blood is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Blue States and Red States might as well be two different countries when considering COVID statistics.

Death Cult Southern state statistics shouldn't dictate the restrictions on vaccinated people in highly vaccinated Blue cities.