Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Yeah the clothes shuffling is legit quite bad.

I guess. The game isn't forcing you to do it though. I went through both of my runs (before and after the Final Cut) sticking with the same outfit most of the of the time, basically chosen based on appearance and boosting stats I wanted to boost for my character. It also helps to realize that failing checks is just a natural part of this game, especially the red ones, and the white ones you can come right back to.

I guess doing that requires you to pass some IRL volition or composure checks or something.

Oxxidation posted:

it is generally a bad idea to gallivant around with only 1 point in health or morale, because damage can strike you without warning. especially morale damage, because the detective is a sad puppy and can take psychic damage from innocuous sources without warning, as you just did

I mean, it's not just that, but not having full health meters actually works as a negative modifier to Endurance/Volition, and will affect your odds of passing passive checks with those skills. If you have the healing items heal up, if you aren't sure you'll be going to bed imminently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Hope being a theme of this game is great and was pivotal to how I reacted to the first playthrough.

I don't know why my chosen graffiti was "something beautiful is going to happen", it was a complete whim, but then when the phasmid revealed itself I was genuinely shook up.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It helps that scene has some phenomenal music that really sells how beautiful and magic the world can be.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Breetai posted:

Hope being a theme of this game is great and was pivotal to how I reacted to the first playthrough.

I don't know why my chosen graffiti was "something beautiful is going to happen", it was a complete whim, but then when the phasmid revealed itself I was genuinely shook up.

Right?? What an incredible moment of, uh, I don't know the pretentious word, I'm sorry. I don't have enough Conceptualization

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Starting a hardcore run with all Fys and Mot

Action cop time bitches

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm surprised how few people have done a Hardcore run, to be honest. It starts off hard but relatively quickly you are absolutely rolling in points, especially if you go Art Cop.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Sankara posted:

I'm surprised how few people have done a Hardcore run, to be honest. It starts off hard but relatively quickly you are absolutely rolling in points, especially if you go Art Cop.

You ain't wrong. I picked the game back up, decided to do an intellect heavy hardcore run, and with the thoughts I've bumbled into I'm just rolling in points and stats. Honestly, probably easier than my initial runs but I guess that makes sense:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Chicks dig this shirt, if you are in uh, a needing-chicks-to-dig-your-shirt crisis.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

couldn't remember the context of a quote from Joyce so I googled it and it turns out the developers almost definitely took it from a blog about Blair by notorious sex pest Sam Kriss lmao that's just weird

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
DE and weird left twitter in general has origins in old LF culture.

Wasn't Measurehead based off someone from a racist offsite?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I remember reading something about how measurehead was based on some YouTuber or someone who said, "You have to be really smart to be this racist, because real dedicated racists have to know 30,000 haplogroups."

Or something to that effect.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

as a former RPGCodex poster I can think of at least three people that sound exactly like a white Measurehead and I know the devs did post there for a while lol.

I dunno, the prose has fairly frequent Sam Kriss-isms and hell, the man can write but is a bad person so no harm in ripping him off, just *weird* for them to directly quote specific wording about Demonologie of all things from him!

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
tbh parts of DE's writing have always given me the vibe that the devs are like extremely online to the power of two, and are very well-versed in Super Obscure Weird Internet poo poo

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

nurmie posted:

tbh parts of DE's writing have always given me the vibe that the devs are like extremely online to the power of two, and are very well-versed in Super Obscure Weird Internet poo poo

they are reading your post right now!! you should work hard on them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Measurehead had really strong hotep/Jakub energy to me, but of course no character is a 1:1 parallel to our world so it's a blend. Definitely the extremely online variety of every tenancy that makes him up tho. My favorite factoid about Measurehead is that the actor who was reading his lines couldn't stop cracking up the whole time as he was reading them, which I definitely understand

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I know that Aleksander Rostov, I think the only artist who worked on the character designs/in game stuff (the thought cabinet was done by someone else) posted on SA, and I uh, collected all of his old updates from when he posted them, and it was still called No Truce With the Furies.

https://i.imgur.com/pdqMWns.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/90mnKHS.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/f9fDwwl.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/z2WHJUd.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/xcrpOxL.gifv

imhotep fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 4, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In the next one I hope we get to be women

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Pretty sure I had one of these in Fallout New Vegas

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
One thing missing from the DE version of fascism is the constant misdirection and hiding and bad-faith insistence that actually, no, it's the liberals and leftists that are the real fascists. Primarily because in the world of DE, the moralist world order didn't unite to crush the fascists, the fascists were happy productive members of the international order, generating lots of goods and value that could be traded on the international market. Fascism was gauche only on the basis that the world didn't have as strong a history of racial slavery.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nordick posted:

Pretty sure I had one of these in Fallout New Vegas

Lol, I should clarify all those are from ~2016 and it’s crazy to see how much is like finalized. The random NPC with the long hair is one of the scabs, and the gun is basically the same in those images as it is in the game.

Here’s the version from the game

And here’s more images of it that he posted in the Making Games Megathread (I loled when someone suggested he tone down the painterly, brush stroke look of the texture on it):

Also gently caress I missed a few, but this ones an interesting look at how the dialogue system used to be

And I forgot these ones as well that I also like in particular:

https://i.imgur.com/f9fDwwl.gifv

imhotep fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 4, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

bop bop perano posted:

Lol, I should clarify all those are from ~2016 and it’s crazy to see how much is like finalized. The random NPC with the long hair is one of the scabs, and the gun is basically the same in those images as it is in the game.

Oh I recognised what it was, that was just my flippant way of saying that 3d model reminds me of some Fallout pipe rifle contraption :)

This artwork is cool stuff, thanks for posting them.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nordick posted:

Oh I recognised what it was, that was just my flippant way of saying that 3d model reminds me of some Fallout pipe rifle contraption :)

This artwork is cool stuff, thanks for posting them.

Oh yeh I knew, but that got me thinking about when they were posted, and i assume at least a couple of them were fans of New Vegas, so it probably was an influence. But yeah it also made me think about how ‘finished’ they all look considering how old they are.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Baddest Of The Bad Cops.
Really Get Kim To Trust You.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Woolie's doing his final stream, currently having the dream about Dolores Dei:

https://twitch.tv/woolieversus

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Get through some soul crushing dream, reminisce about the emotional crushes, then start yucking it about about communist books.

:discourse:

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
They didn't complete their high performance outfit. I weep.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

bop bop perano posted:

Lol, I should clarify all those are from ~2016 and it’s crazy to see how much is like finalized. The random NPC with the long hair is one of the scabs,

Is that not the pawn shop owner or was that model used more than once

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

https://clips.twitch.tv/SecretiveFlirtyGrouseRitzMitz-SzfSGKMstVzGrYQ_

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

All this stuff is sick, but the real loss here is the lack of bulletproof vest and jacket over shoulder Harry in the final game.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 5, 2021

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
One minor random worldbuilding thing about the game that I've been wondering time to time: are the motor carriages meant to be powered by a combustion engine or do they run on electricity? There's multiple mentions of them using heavy fuel oil and Cindy mentions siphoning some from a police vehicle to use as paint, but the description of how they work according to Kim involves running current through coils that somehow generates power and they're described as being stupidly loud, which is what initially wakes Harry up.

I assume they might work somewhat similar to diesel-electric trains where the diesel engine is used to generate electricity for the motors that drive the wheels.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

AnotherGamer posted:

One minor random worldbuilding thing about the game that I've been wondering time to time: are the motor carriages meant to be powered by a combustion engine or do they run on electricity? There's multiple mentions of them using heavy fuel oil and Cindy mentions siphoning some from a police vehicle to use as paint, but the description of how they work according to Kim involves running current through coils that somehow generates power and they're described as being stupidly loud, which is what initially wakes Harry up.

I assume they might work somewhat similar to diesel-electric trains where the diesel engine is used to generate electricity for the motors that drive the wheels.

i always figured they're diesel-electric, or some weird parallel-universe version of thereof

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
too good to yak about machines huh

it's an ICE

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
I recall reading that part by myself as well, but that doesn't really explain where the loud coil whine that wakes Harry up and Kim "apologizes" for when someone mentions it comes from, nor does the whole repeated mention of coils instea of "roar of the engine" or something similar that would be associated with something that runs on 12 cylinders, I guess it could be a really inefficient and noisy way of providing electricity for other equipment like the radio and lights.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

reversing in one of those things must be a wild time

e: oh nvm, i see the mirror now

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

AnotherGamer posted:

I recall reading that part by myself as well, but that doesn't really explain where the loud coil whine that wakes Harry up and Kim "apologizes" for when someone mentions it comes from, nor does the whole repeated mention of coils instea of "roar of the engine" or something similar that would be associated with something that runs on 12 cylinders, I guess it could be a really inefficient and noisy way of providing electricity for other equipment like the radio and lights.

I always figured the noise that wakes Harry up was the police siren.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Could be, although I'm not sure if the police in DE even have those installed in their vehicles.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

nurmie posted:

i always figured they're diesel-electric, or some weird parallel-universe version of thereof

IIRC the lights, radio, etc. on the vehicle won't turn on until you start the engine so that sounds like a good guess to me.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

much to consider

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Another minor detail I've been wondering about while I'm at it: are the radiocomputers meant to have anything resembling monitors? The two you see in the game both have keyboards and a compartment for the filament memory cubes, but no visible forms of output except long paper printouts and a connection to the repeater station that's used for password-based security, yet Trant mentions the experimental Feld Playback Experiment tape-based computers as having an obsolete type of monitors 49 years ago, so is the implication that since the users of those 2 radiocomputers are programmers by nature, they don't even need monitors while programming while everyone else uses them and only the method of data processing differs from reality, or that people of the DE universe are so used to audio-based communication that the concept of radiocomputers having monitors doesn't even occur naturally to them?

The latter option seems unlikely, as they still have photographs and movie rentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
They have movie rentals? I don't remember that bit. The photographs seem like fairly advanced tech that isn't widely available, and even Kim can only afford a small number of photos on the departments budget.