Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Did anyone say Rise/Dawn/War of/for The Planet of the Apes yet?

Those are good prequels

Nothing about that trilogy should be good on paper but instead all three are kinda excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think what helps is that the protagonists in the Planet of the Apes remakes are the actual apes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xenomrph posted:

Fun moviemaking fact: those weren’t her legs the tail was going between, that shot was snipped from one of the edited bits of Brett’s death.

Oh drat. I was already impressed with the editing, but moving that clip to Lambert's death scene moves it from 'hosed up and sad' to 'oh God no, wtf is it even...' I've seen some people have very visceral reactions to that. Amazing how putting a 4 second clip in one place versus another elevates a film.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Finally got around to reading Aliens Omnibus Vol. 1 and... wow just like every other attempt to continue the story after "Aliens" with Hicks/Newt Wilks/Billie the scale just goes from 0 to 1000 immediately. That. That sure is a choice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

And yes yes I know "preparation/common sense" being actually quite rare and undercut by soulless capitalist overlords is like the overriding theme in the franchise of modern life. Yes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

The term you're looking for is "retired."

Rascar Capac posted:

Have you ever violently powered off a human by mistake?

:D I love this thread.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

I think what helps is that the protagonists in the Planet of the Apes remakes are the actual apes.

For sure. It also helps that really none of the characters in the original are in them. The movies could have easily went with Dr. Zaius - The College Years.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Joe Chill posted:

Dr. Zaius - The College Years.

*college dean goes out to get paper, only find the facade of his house splattered with poop*

Ape hooooooouuuuuuse!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Red Dwarf seasons 1-3 are the real Alien3. Fight me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mister Speaker posted:

Lance Henriksen also got food poisoning because the milk/yogurt combination they used in the film curdled under the studio lighting and he presumably swallowed a bunch of it.

Could be worse: the pig guts used in the "choke on em" scene in Day of the Dead had been left in a freezer that someone accidentally unplugged several months before filming

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I really am impressed with how much stuff they packed into that RPG lol

That reminds me of one of my favorite Italian films, Contamination. A movie where some plot is going on to spread alien eggs around the earth. When humans are in proximity they activate and pulsate and stuff and then explode getting goop all of you. If any goop gets on you then after a little while you, explode. Real deal planet-clearing bioweapons courtesy of Luigi Cozzi and an incredibly baller Goblin soundtrack in 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bMP8sF1GA

Italy also gave us the films ALIEN 2: ON EARTH and TERMINATOR 2: SHOCKING DARK way befor ethe official movies made it out, "ALIEN 2" unfortunately is really really lovely, but fortunately the trailer shows all the best parts hehee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sMxen6TBPQ

TERMINATOR 2: SHOCKING DARK (also released as Alienators) is something else though liberally taking uh inspiration from both Aliens and Terminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LG_tEdDow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8eJ87SVd-0

Italy also gave us the absolute God Emperor of Predator ripoffs, ROBOWAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IV4g19TXrA

Alienators, not to be confused with the Alienator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDlD1u3qR5A

Or Alien Terminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfvMi-bhuv0

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never realized until recently that the actor who plays Vasquez is also John Conners' foster mom in T2.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I never realized until recently that the actor who plays Vasquez is also John Conners' foster mom in T2.

Legit makes me laugh every time.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

She also plays the hotel maid in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. And an Irish woman in third class in Titanic.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Red Dwarf seasons 1-3 are the real Alien3. Fight me.

just bbqing this quaagar warrior in a lead foundry, what do you want with it?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has anyone read Aliens: Phalanx? I watched a YouTube man give a plot synopsis and ordered a copy. Medieval planet where towns are all forts to protect from the black demons outside. Main character is a runner whose job is to deliver messages between towns. Sounds awesome.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
So I just finished the short story book "Bug Hunt ". Skipped over a few chapters because the writing was pretty bad but overall it was a good book. The story from the alien's perspective was pretty goofy and fun.

It sounds like a one-off idea but is there anything else from the Alien's POV?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The four AvP FPS games have you play from the Alien perspective if that counts.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Has anyone read Aliens: Phalanx? I watched a YouTube man give a plot synopsis and ordered a copy. Medieval planet where towns are all forts to protect from the black demons outside. Main character is a runner whose job is to deliver messages between towns. Sounds awesome.

That does sound awesome. :O

Dirt5o8 posted:

So I just finished the short story book "Bug Hunt ". Skipped over a few chapters because the writing was pretty bad but overall it was a good book. The story from the alien's perspective was pretty goofy and fun.

It sounds like a one-off idea but is there anything else from the Alien's POV?

Not an alien per se but there's 1991 novel, Gojiro, you may enjoy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gojiro

Anyway, been thinking about Aliens (the movie) and the android/ship naming conventions. People noticed how the names of the androids in each movie go A B C D until Walter in Covenant

Ash
Bishop
Call
David

I forget was this intentional when they named David (I always took it as a fun coincidence for the first three instances)? Like Call is a Whedon character and her one major act in the movie is to serve as a modem so lol

The ships:

Nostromo - named for the title/titular character of the Conrad novel

Narcissus - The guy who stared at his reflection for too drat long and turned into a flower, unintentional, but I liked Dillon's inversion of this in Alien 3 to reflect on a hopeful future/beyond during the funeral scene but how it's intercut with the alien burstin'

Sulaco - The fictional town in from which Nostromo hails in the Conrad novel

Auriga - A constellation, also an old timey word for a chariot rider

Prometheus - Give fire get guts eaten/etc. We see our Prometheus in the film's intro as he brings "fire" to a planet but also gets ripped apart in the process. it was cool how they made an opening scene that could be read as that or as Norse mythology simultaneously with Ymir's poison blood spilling into the river

Covenant - Promise from God and such, is there more lore about this particular colonization effort? Like were the colonists all super-Christian like Oram was?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Narcissus is also an indirect Conrad reference.

There have been other Conrad references, though largely in the EU. The Sulaco-like ship that WY arrives in at the end of Alien3 is the Patna, according to the novelization.
There was also the Melville from the Colonial Marines comic, the Sephora from the Colonial Marines video game, the Marlow from the AvP2010 game, and the Verloc from the AvP2 PC game.

There are probably others I’m forgetting.

Edit— the Torrens from Alien Isolation.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 2, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The Narcissus is also an indirect Conrad reference.

There have been other Conrad references, though largely in the EU. The Sulaco-like ship that WY arrives in at the end of Alien3 is the Patna, according to the novelization.
There was also the Melville from the Colonial Marines comic, the Sephora from the Colonial Marines video game, the Marlow from the AvP2010 game, and the Verloc from the AvP2 PC game.

There are probably others I’m forgetting.

Edit— the Torrens from Alien Isolation.

I didn't realize they rolled with it so extensively in the EU stuff

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Neo Rasa posted:

Anyway, been thinking about Aliens (the movie) and the android/ship naming conventions. People noticed how the names of the androids in each movie go A B C D until Walter in Covenant

Ash
Bishop
Call
David

I forget was this intentional when they named David (I always took it as a fun coincidence for the first three instances)? Like Call is a Whedon character and her one major act in the movie is to serve as a modem so lol

I've been listening on and off of the Aliens: Bug Hunt audiobook and there was one about the origins of Bishop. There was a part where he meets a bunch of the same model androids that all looked like him and there were named things like Rook, Knight, and other chess pieces.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've been listening on and off of the Aliens: Bug Hunt audiobook and there was one about the origins of Bishop. There was a part where he meets a bunch of the same model androids that all looked like him and there were named things like Rook, Knight, and other chess pieces.

That's pretty neat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's really cool and explains how he was so easily ripped apart by the queen. :haw:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Neo Rasa posted:

That's really cool and explains how he was so easily ripped apart by the queen. :haw:

:v:

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Neo Rasa posted:

D (David) is the fourth letter of the alphabet and W (Walter) is the fourth last letter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neo Rasa posted:

:lol:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Neo Rasa posted:

I really am impressed with how much stuff they packed into that RPG lol

That reminds me of one of my favorite Italian films, Contamination. A movie where some plot is going on to spread alien eggs around the earth. When humans are in proximity they activate and pulsate and stuff and then explode getting goop all of you. If any goop gets on you then after a little while you, explode. Real deal planet-clearing bioweapons courtesy of Luigi Cozzi and an incredibly baller Goblin soundtrack in 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bMP8sF1GA

Italy also gave us the films ALIEN 2: ON EARTH and TERMINATOR 2: SHOCKING DARK way befor ethe official movies made it out, "ALIEN 2" unfortunately is really really lovely, but fortunately the trailer shows all the best parts hehee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sMxen6TBPQ

TERMINATOR 2: SHOCKING DARK (also released as Alienators) is something else though liberally taking uh inspiration from both Aliens and Terminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LG_tEdDow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8eJ87SVd-0

Italy also gave us the absolute God Emperor of Predator ripoffs, ROBOWAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IV4g19TXrA

What I love most about Contamination is how nowhere along the line does any of the exploding gore result in new aliens being born. The eggs exist solely to make people blow up, it's great.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Neo Rasa posted:

That reminds me of the Alien 3 novelisation where (iirc) Ripley thinks "Bishop takes Queen" and she's like "gently caress that!"

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Neo Rasa posted:

:aaaaa:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1421658671633903622

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can't remember who, but someone earlier said that the first Predator film was a regular action flick, then the Predator turns up. Predator 2 is a buddy cop movie, then the Predator turns up. I've been racking my brains trying to figure out what the next genre the Predator should invade is, and now I know: martial arts tournament. You could even have Van Damme in the lead role to bring it full circle. gently caress it, have him play Frank Dux from Bloodsport. The real Dux probably claims he fought an alien at some point.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Can't remember who, but someone earlier said that the first Predator film was a regular action flick, then the Predator turns up. Predator 2 is a buddy cop movie, then the Predator turns up. I've been racking my brains trying to figure out what the next genre the Predator should invade is, and now I know: martial arts tournament. You could even have Van Damme in the lead role to bring it full circle. gently caress it, have him play Frank Dux from Bloodsport. The real Dux probably claims he fought an alien at some point.

That opens up so many possibilities.

The Hunger Games... and then the Predator shows up.
Twilight... and then the Predator shows up.
The Bachelorette... and then the Predator shows up.
Dumb and Dumber... and then the Predator shows up.
Borat... and then the Predator shows up.
Titanic... and then the Predator shows up.

Soo many possibilities.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jay_Zombie posted:

That opens up so many possibilities.

The Hunger Games... and then the Predator shows up.

Isn't this more or less Predators?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Isn't this more or less Predators?

Fair point.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Sunswipe posted:

Fast and the Furious: LV426

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sense and Sensibility... and then the Predator shows up

Kindergarten Cop... and then the Predator shows up

Fried Green Tomatoes... and then the Predator shows up

iCarly... and then the Predator shows up

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Predator...and then the Predator shows up

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

this is also exactly how vandamme lost the role of abraham lincoln to daniel day lewis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

iCarly... and then the Predator shows up

Makes sense he'd be a foot guy