Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Fauxbot posted:

people end up leaving south korea for work anywhere doing like, literally whatever, since working conditions are so shite the term "Helljoseon" is slang for how bad it is. it's not really a question of specific industries they're settling in imo

Lol this is the wikipedia image

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Joseon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the other thing the pro-China online left thing reminds me of is the Bernie phenomenon

looking back, it's kinda nuts how people really bought into Bernie as a progressive leader. the wheels really came off towards the end when we saw how Bernie cosied up to Biden

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, Scandinavian countries have been heavily moving in the other direction for years.

i'd be interested in a comparison between the percentage of the economy / jobs in the public sector in idk, sweden, at its socdeam peak vs china now. and china's taken a big heel turn towards state intervention and control of the economy since xi took over

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Ardennes posted:

From what I have read/seen discussed, I doubt young people in China as a whole are as pessimistic about their prospects as young people in US. The closet parallel would probably be in first tier cities where affordability is much more of an issue.

China is a mixed economy but at least there are some ways that pressure is released.

yeah I don’t think you see the kind of pessimism among young Chinese people that you see in the US. I think the big reason is bc if you’re a Chinese in your 20s, you will have seen pretty massive improvements to your standards of living within your lifetime, and no sign that the trend will stop anytime soon. Lot of Chinese people who come to the US are taken aback by how old and decrepit infrastructure and the like are since over in China there’s a constant feeling of development

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

There's been kind of a general push to make those jobs more "diverse" by hiring more foreigners, but of course it's only low level minimum wage gigs so most of those people are students or from developing countries.

? I don’t think there’s been anything like a conscious push for diversity there (what’s your source for that impression), it’s just that Japan is having great trouble filling low level positions and that gap is getting filled by language school students etc.

It’s been making the news for the last couple years how hard it is for 24 hour convenience stores to stay open due to inability to get workers et al, though that was fixed temporarily by covid since you got a bunch of restaurant workers to fill the gaps.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ardennes posted:

From what I have read/seen discussed, I doubt young people in China as a whole are as pessimistic about their prospects as young people in US. The closet parallel would probably be in first tier cities where affordability is much more of an issue.

China is a mixed economy but at least there are some ways that pressure is released.

yes. much of china has a wonderful and refreshing sense of optimism, it’s the opposite of america in that way

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

i'd be interested in a comparison between the percentage of the economy / jobs in the public sector in idk, sweden, at its socdeam peak vs china now. and china's taken a big heel turn towards state intervention and control of the economy since xi took over

From what I have seen the share of state ownership in the Swedish economy (except for some cases like Lumber) is comparatively small. Obviously, do to the social safety net, there are still a significant number of state employees.

Sweden obviously still has stronger safety net than China but much of that is both the result of the Cold War and the sheer fact that Sweden has been a developed country for nearly a century. If anything from what I heard their health care system is badly overstretched and COVID has made things exceptionally difficult.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Aug 3, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

love to talk about youth optimism when the increasing sentiment about chinese millenials is stuff like involution and 躺平

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shrike82 posted:

love to talk about youth optimism when the increasing sentiment about chinese millenials is stuff like involution and 躺平

have you lived in both places?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yup, have you?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yes. i don’t know how you can’t see it, then. it’s night and day

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

as i sit in my taxi ride from shenzhen airport to the city center, my taxi driver, a young chinese millenial tells me about how optimistic he is about the country's future
- thomas friedman

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

fart simpson posted:

yes. much of china has a wonderful and refreshing sense of optimism, it’s the opposite of america in that way

it’s something that’s present among all age groups, too, since pretty much everyone has seen big material improvements in their lifetimes. that the US appears moribund is probably also another source of optimism

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FrancisFukyomama posted:

it’s something that’s present among all age groups, too, since pretty much everyone has seen big material improvements in their lifetimes. that the US appears moribund is probably also another source of optimism

I guess it is the end of history in the US... just not quite how some people imagined it.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

fart simpson posted:

thanks for posting with us shrike. not! go away.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why is north korea represented in an image thats supposed to be describing a south korean phenomenon

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You know nobody will just take your word for it that China is just as bad as USA when english speaking posters are more likely to have first hand experience of living in America.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If you're like me then you live in a semi-rural area where most of the infrastructure was built in the 40s & 50s, and the only stuff that gets developed is for gentrification projects or the interstate. Seeing pictures of Chinese subways popping up in the countryside as plans for urban expansion may as well be like looking at science fiction.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Aug 3, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
where’s brutalist mcdonalds to post some epic CPC videos when you need them

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Lostconfused posted:

You know nobody will just take your word for it that China is just as bad as USA when english speaking posters are more likely to have first hand experience of living in America.

fart simpson has lived in shenzhen for like a decade

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the US is a pretty low bar even versus most of Europe or supposed neolib countries like Japan

like l said, it makes some sense for American millennials to view China as an idealized country for the same reason that Hong Kong millennials idealize the US

personally, I’m not particularly invested in one imperialist country replacing another

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah I can tell you're above it all, shrike. Is that why you got banned from the dnd threads?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Why do Hong Kong millennials idealize the US, and not somewhere like Scandinavia.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

not sure what you’re talking about and it’s funny to see a lefty point to the notion of being banned from D&D threads as an indictment of the poster

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

Why do Hong Kong millennials idealize the US, and not somewhere like Scandinavia.

i've heard offhand elsewhere that a lot of them buy into that oo-rah freedom poo poo and take it all in earnest as opposed to treating it like one would the phrase 'arbeit macht frei'

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

shrike82 posted:

it’s funny

hey you found a synonym for lol

good job ya little scamp

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
personally i'd grant them more credit for bypassing the vile european if some of them weren't enticed by the prospect of being a british colony again

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Atrocious Joe posted:

I barely know any mutuals who are US idealists, some idealize UK and EU. I would say more idealize Taiwan/Japan/Korea than western culture. The only way you would think HK millenials idealize US would be from the protests when some people waved USA flags and poo poo.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah I can tell you're above it all, shrike. Is that why you got banned from the dnd threads?

being chased out of dnd isn't a mark of shame

being banned from dnd for specifically posts like this though

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3833800&pagenumber=240&perpage=40#post477515795

im glad this forum has 10000 iks and this guy gets to post here unmolested

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

I barely know any mutuals who are US idealists, some idealize UK and EU. I would say more idealize Taiwan/Japan/Korea than western culture. The only way you would think HK millenials idealize US would be from the protests when some people waved USA flags and poo poo.

wow very tankieish of you to suggest the hong kong protestors arent representative of the general population

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, it's one thing to get banned from dnd in a vacuum and another thing to get thrown out for being too lovely of a poster for dnd.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kill All Cops posted:

Is that K-Drama and pop again?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
god i hope not

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

genericnick posted:

Is that K-Drama and pop again?

Yeah we got a bunch of dubbed K-drama on digital TV, and travel shows about places in Japan. USA lovers can watch National Geographic I guess

Some Guy TT posted:

wow very tankieish of you to suggest the hong kong protestors arent representative of the general population

lmao but yes these days the disapora is quite widespread across the globe, and we moved on from calling mainlanders locusts to calling them new hong kongers with a wink

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

Unironically tankieish if you to suggest the ones who were waving USA and trump flags were representative of the general population of protestors lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

shrike82 posted:

the other thing the pro-China online left thing reminds me of is the Bernie phenomenon

This isn't the silliest observation to make, and it will be interesting to see how this trend develops over time.

Ardennes posted:

The closet parallel would probably be in first tier cities where affordability is much more of an issue.

China is speedrunning to first world global hyperpower status and they're gonna end up running into the same issues other advanced economies have - so actions like the recent crackdown on fintech companies reveal some refreshing ways they're doing things differently. As far as urban youth angst goes, remains to be seen how CPC addresses affordability concerns.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
favourite part of the hk protests was when they invaded the legislature and were applauded by the same liberals that went on to freak out about jan 6

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Centrist Committee posted:

where’s brutalist mcdonalds to post some epic CPC videos when you need them
*rises from slumber* buhh... gluhh...? let's see what's new...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

taking a moment of sympathy for the hong kong protestors who completely failed to read the room and issued statements of support for the insurrectioners lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRMt-b89CxQ