Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

I had a similar issue with a desktop a couple years ago and it turned out to be hardware related. The ‘loving with the slider eventually crashes Explorer’ thing was exactly the same. Since it was a desktop, I just went USB and disabled the sound in the BIOS, but I dunno if you can do that with a laptop.

Edit: I troubleshooted it using a live Ubuntu distro, it gave Linux fits as well.

Testing with Linux is a really good idea, thank you. I didn't even think of that.

I found the latest readme for my laptop's drivers and thankfully Lenovo puts all previous release info in there, so I can see the exact version number of older Realtek drivers, so right now I am starting with the oldest one from 2017. I did some gpedit fuckery to prevent Windows Update from automatically updating the drivers, so if this works, I know it's a driver issue. If not, off to Lenovo for another motherboard replacement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Klyith posted:

Eh, Intel is trying to stay relevant by shoving more watts through the CPU, which was bad when AMD did it and bad now. IMO that makes them "bad" because even if the performance & price match up, you have a 300w spaceheater for a PC. Now you need louder or more expensive cooling, and it sucks to be in the same room with (unless you live in the arctic).

My first gaming PC build was in 2005 with a P4 Prescott and it was kinda like that as well. I needed this huge aftermarket cooler and fancy thermal grease so it wouldn't melt itself.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So my several month long issues with audio on my laptop have finally been fixed. I tried everything I could think of and I think I figured it out.

A few weeks ago I was trying to see if I could get that stupid RealTek HD Audio manager thing that used to always come with sound drivers, but I couldn't find any way to install it (I figured maybe it would somehow solve my issues??? Like I said I was all outta ideas). You know, this thing:

I vaguely remember installing that a million years ago on an old desktop and it fixing problems for me.

Anyway I found a list of all the drivers ever released for my ThinkPad, and I downloaded the oldest one which did nothing (I still had the crashes). Then I downloaded the 2nd oldest one (Realtek driver 6.0.1.8279). It actually came with the stupid HD audio manager thing!

A few minutes after rebooting I had the same problem again. Audio was working fine, then out of nowhere I tried to unmute by adjusting the volume and heard nothing; no audio at all. It looked like it was about to crash my desktop and didn't. Quickly I went into the RealTek HD Audio manager and messed with every setting I could find and it actually fixed it! It was this stupid thing:

Simply changing that from "classic" to "Multi-stream" worked. I didn't even need to reboot to get my audio back and Windows Explorer didn't even crash.

I have absolutely no idea why this fixes it. From googling, it seems like this setting allows you to have music play through your speakers even if you have headphones plugged in. Yet when I plug in my headphones, it does not play out of my speakers; only the headphones. :iiam:

My guess is as good as anyone's as to why this fixed it but I figured I'd post this in case anyone else ever has a similar issue. I've googled this and never saw this as a fix, anywhere.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My guess is as good as anyone's as to why this fixed it but I figured I'd post this in case anyone else ever has a similar issue. I've googled this and never saw this as a fix, anywhere.

I think the answer is basically just "that's Realtek." :shrug:

That crab is often easily angered, and not easily appeased.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I have Sound Switch on both of my desktops, and have an alt-numpad 0 to instantly toggle between my headset and speakers. I flip-flop depending on time of day or if I’m home alone.

I think it was free from the Microsoft Store. It also allows speakers on my monitors and TV to play with the computer speakers. In sync. Sounds awesome, but that setting isn’t hot keyed although Sound Switch shows them ready always if I’m using a right-click on the taskbar.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think the answer is basically just "that's Realtek." :shrug:

That crab is often easily angered, and not easily appeased.

haha

The craziest thing is when I was only using the Microsoft default HD Audio drivers, I still had the issue!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Intel CPUs aren't bad as such, but they got lazy and AMD blew past them with Ryzen. Like for any given Intel CPU, you can get a Ryzen of similar performance with better power consumption and definitely for cheaper.

Price to performance for AMD blows Intel out of the water. We got a bunch of thread ripper (EPYC2) boxes with 64cores for like $8500 each. That's less than the 56 core Intel chip without the rest of the server.

Desktop had pretty much the same disparity.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Weirdly I don’t often see the price disparity when it comes to laptops and pre-built PCs, but that may have something to do with Intel cutting deals with the big brands.

E: or they are just jacking up the price on AMD systems because price fixing is cool and good

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Friend let Windows do bunch of updates on her laptop and now the keyboard is not working anymore. None of the keys work in Windows, but they do still work in bios. Any ideas?

Edit: Nvm, fixed by doing a keyboard driver rollback in device manager.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 2, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I've fixed that issue before by going into device manager, uninstalling the keyboard device then rebooting

If you don't have an external keyboard to hand you can bring up the on-screen keyboard temporarily

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i'm going to ask this question once again , i ask it every so often because this functionality of windows drives me loving insane.

is there any way i can get the taskbar, which i have set to remain hidden and to the left side of the screen, to literally never open unless i tell it to. i dont care if i have to permanently remove it at this point because frankly im about to put a different OS on the system to fix it.

if i have 10 things open and a dialogue box opens up in one of them the taskbar opens and then obscures what i'm working on on that side of the screen. i assume this must be working as intended as i have i think 7 PCs with windows in the house and this happens on all of them.

but like, my goons, i honestly don't think i can go hunting for which window has a dialogue box open anymore. if i wanted a taskbar on my screen i wouldnt hide it and if i wanted something to block what i was reading i would...probably be an idiot and a lot happier

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Use a "full screen" feature in the program you use. If a program makes a full screen window, and is in the foreground, then the taskbar will put itself behind it and stay out of sight.

Otherwise yes, the taskbar is designed to be always visible so it can't "get lost".
I'm not sure I understand exactly what the situation you describe is. Do you mean that a program is calling for attention by flashing its taskbar button (because it has a window it wants to display)? Yes that will show the taskbar, because the program is calling for attention. If you don't like programs calling for your attention then stop running those programs.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 3, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

not applicable to my scenario unfortunately

i dont use a single program in full screen mode on the computer its most bothersome on

i actually don't use full screen much of anything ever anywhere, my screens are almost always displaying things either side by side or in quadrants

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

nielsm posted:

Use a "full screen" feature in the program you use. If a program makes a full screen window, and is in the foreground, then the taskbar will put itself behind it and stay out of sight.

Otherwise yes, the taskbar is designed to be always visible so it can't "get lost".
I'm not sure I understand exactly what the situation you describe is. Do you mean that a program is calling for attention by flashing its taskbar button (because it has a window it wants to display)? Yes that will show the taskbar, because the program is calling for attention. If you don't like programs calling for your attention then stop running those programs.

i'm going to be frank with you here, i think your solution of "dont run EXEs" is both rude and just a bad suggestion. heres my suggestion, windows makes a hotkey to clear notifications from the taskbar and hide it.

is there a function to do that already?

because thats surely a more sensible solution than "dont run an exe". especially when other operating systems i use do not have this issue.

its ok to not know an answer to a question, goon. i sure didn't and its why i asked it here. you don't need to invent nuclear 'solutions' just to have something to post.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My best other suggestion then is to kill explorer.exe when you need focus time, so you lose the taskbar and any File Explorer windows. Task Manager has a File > Run command you can use to restart it when needed.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ngl i am actually going to hotkey or give those commands a shortcut to try it out. might as well if i was willing to change operating systems entirely

ty

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Statutory Ape posted:

is there any way i can get the taskbar, which i have set to remain hidden and to the left side of the screen, to literally never open unless i tell it to.
This works, as does this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Statutory Ape posted:

i'm going to be frank with you here, i think your solution of "dont run EXEs" is both rude and just a bad suggestion. heres my suggestion, windows makes a hotkey to clear notifications from the taskbar and hide it.
Don't be a dipshit, they never said "don't run EXEs" they said don't if a program is using the "get your attention" feature so much that it's annoying stop using THAT PROGRAM.

This is not a common issue, no one is saying stop using all programs. Stop using the one that's using the reasonable OS functionality in a way that annoys you.

quote:

especially when other operating systems i use do not have this issue.
Mac OS has the dock icon bounce. Most Linux DEs have similar features too. The whole point of these functions is to allow backgrounded apps to call attention to themselves without significantly interrupting the user.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

wolrah posted:

stop using THAT PROGRAM.

If this was an option I would not be trying to alter a baseline function of my chosen operating system, trust

I have effectively zero marriage to programs or OS outside of when I am either obliged to professionally or if it's the literal only conduit to accomplish something

Thank you to the goon that provided two additional solutions

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 3, 2021

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Windows 10 has virtual desktops, would it be reasonable to shuffle some programs off to different desktops? The taskbar is the same for all but the open programs only exist in the desktop that "opened" them. Shortcut is win key + tab. I don't know if there is a way to move already opened programs from one desktop to another, my usage with them is fairly new.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Brutakas posted:

Windows 10 has virtual desktops, would it be reasonable to shuffle some programs off to different desktops? The taskbar is the same for all but the open programs only exist in the desktop that "opened" them. Shortcut is win key + tab. I don't know if there is a way to move already opened programs from one desktop to another, my usage with them is fairly new.

I had briefly wondered if somehow virtual desktops would help me too, but I have only ever used them as an easy way to separate which screens are local and which are accessing remote computers and literally that is all

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Which program, out of interest? If you can't be rid of it then don't you want it to notify you when something happens that needs your attention?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Which program, out of interest? If you can't be rid of it then don't you want it to notify you when something happens that needs your attention?

I'll answer half your question, since you asked; no

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Brutakas posted:

Shortcut is win key + tab. I don't know if there is a way to move already opened programs from one desktop to another, my usage with them is fairly new.

Yep, just drag & drop from the win-tab screen.

OTOH it's not a great solution for Ape's problem: when a program does the attention-flash on the taskbar, it gets shown on all desktops. Which is intentional & good, since an attention-flash is meant to get attention. Programs that mis- or over-use the flash are the ones that are the problem.

Statutory Ape posted:

Have you tried using Focus Assist? (there's a button for it in the action center, or you can turn it on & off in settings)

No idea if that will work for your app -- it doesn't block a taskbar flash if the program requests a flash directly, but it does block some types of notifications that cause flashes as a byproduct. But with no info about the program, that's the quality of help.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

It's okay if you want to play MMOs all day and not get bugged by work software, we aren't going to tell on you, I promise.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's okay if you want to play MMOs all day and not get bugged by work software, we aren't going to tell on you, I promise.

While this isn't literally it this is effectively the gist yes

I know I'm not the only person that has this issue because I've been offered other solutions before that just haven't worked for me or did but stopped working eventually. I guess it just strikes me as something I should have control over really.

And again thank you to both you and the others that provided me with different ways to try and control that.

E; I would have thought that display fusion could have been helpful but ngl their taskbar stuff is not great imho, and also display fusion has been causing tons of compatibility issues for me the last year. I need to look into those as well, I believe they're fixable.

Worf fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 3, 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

In general, auto hiding taskbar is a weird, half-formed feature. I've never seen a use case where it isn't either more annoying than it's worth or the need is the result of the particulars of some horrible bespoke business app.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The fact that there isn't just a checkbox to shut off the flashing icons forever is rather baffling. I will decide what is so important i have to look at it right now without any help, thanks.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

i'm going to ask this question once again , i ask it every so often because this functionality of windows drives me loving insane.

is there any way i can get the taskbar, which i have set to remain hidden and to the left side of the screen, to literally never open unless i tell it to. i dont care if i have to permanently remove it at this point because frankly im about to put a different OS on the system to fix it.

if i have 10 things open and a dialogue box opens up in one of them the taskbar opens and then obscures what i'm working on on that side of the screen. i assume this must be working as intended as i have i think 7 PCs with windows in the house and this happens on all of them.

but like, my goons, i honestly don't think i can go hunting for which window has a dialogue box open anymore. if i wanted a taskbar on my screen i wouldnt hide it and if i wanted something to block what i was reading i would...probably be an idiot and a lot happier

I believe Autohotkey scripts could do this. Make one to fully hide the taskbar and one to show it; run them as you see fit.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Javid posted:

The fact that there isn't just a checkbox to shut off the flashing icons forever is rather baffling. I will decide what is so important i have to look at it right now without any help, thanks.

The flashing being so prominent is something of a legacy of older versions of windows, where programs that popped a dialog box or whatever would be pushed up to the top & be active. So the taskbar flash was the much less annoying fix for programs that needed user interaction... until software started abusing it as a "get attention" feature.

Good news though, if you hate taskbar flashing: Windows 11 is reducing it to a more subtle glow + red blip under the icon.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

astral posted:

I believe Autohotkey scripts could do this. Make one to fully hide the taskbar and one to show it; run them as you see fit.
Yeah the programs I linked include the ahk scripts they were compiled from.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Klyith posted:

The flashing being so prominent is something of a legacy of older versions of windows, where programs that popped a dialog box or whatever would be pushed up to the top & be active. So the taskbar flash was the much less annoying fix for programs that needed user interaction... until software started abusing it as a "get attention" feature.

Good news though, if you hate taskbar flashing: Windows 11 is reducing it to a more subtle glow + red blip under the icon.

It's like they ALMOST understand why it's annoying. They just need to stop tweaking it and give us a button to permanently disable it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Javid posted:

It's like they ALMOST understand why it's annoying. They just need to stop tweaking it and give us a button to permanently disable it.

Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundFlashCount

Set that to 1 and you won't really get flashing, just the color highlight.

And they don't want to get rig of it because a universal way for windows that need user input to request it is a good thing on a multiprocessing system. As the first response said, if you have software that's abusing the feature, stop using that software (or if your work demands you use it, deal with the fact it interrupts your mmo session).

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

"Just don't use the software you have to use to do the things you do with your computer" is not a solution. Snuffing notifications on a per-app basis is a solved problem implemented in many other OSes, and would eliminate this problem forever while still allowing us to let them through for the minority of programs that ACTUALLY use them correctly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Javid posted:

"Just don't use the software you have to use to do the things you do with your computer" is not a solution.
It is a solution, in the same way that "write your own version of the software" is a solution on Linux. Just not the solution you want.

You can also do stuff like complain / file bug reports with whoever makes the software you have to use.

Javid posted:

Snuffing notifications on a per-app basis is a solved problem implemented in many other OSes, and would eliminate this problem forever while still allowing us to let them through for the minority of programs that ACTUALLY use them correctly.

Windows does have that, for normal notifications. That's how you're supposed to get user attention for non-critical events.

And like, one of the reasons it's not overridable is that programs are supposed to control their own taskbar buttons. If a program started cycling its icon between hot pink and bright blue to get attention instead, would you want microsoft to make a special anti-icon-change override?

The taskbar flash being abused by lovely programs is because they're lovely programs. Popping a yes/no dialog box to force activate a window is lovely behavior and it's intentional. Believe me, if MS had options to restrain it they'd use some other path to force-activate themselves or otherwise be really annoying. If your work forces you to use user-hostile software, it's because they're hostile.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Klyith posted:

And like, one of the reasons it's not overridable is that programs are supposed to control their own taskbar buttons. If a program started cycling its icon between hot pink and bright blue to get attention instead, would you want microsoft to make a special anti-icon-change override?

Yes, if devs are abusing nominally helpful features, it is appropriate to put settings on those features so users can turn them the gently caress off.

Windows is a codebase MS controls. They're perfectly capable of routing the "flash taskbar" call through a service that checks permissions and filters them accordingly, which we know because I can set (some)things on a per-app basis already; all they have to do is add one for icon flashing/focus stealing and this problem is fully solved.

Yes, devs will find new poo poo to do to hassle the user. We have windows update for that. This situation is not particularly novel in that regard.

e: they sure figured out how to stop letting US change the colors of things. Just subject any program I haven't whitelisted to the same restrictions and we're good!

Javid fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 4, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Statutory Ape posted:

While this isn't literally it this is effectively the gist yes
This whole conversation could have been a lot more productive if you had started with something like "I have an application I have to use that blinks the poo poo out of the taskbar and annoys me. How can I stop it or force the taskbar to stay hidden in spite of this application?" We would understand your actual problem and be able to offer solutions that fit within your constraints

Instead you claimed a common feature in a lot of major OSes is an inherent flaw of Windows and strawmanned someone who was trying to point you in the right direction while offering barely any information to those who were still trying to help.

Klyith posted:

They claimed the taskbar even popping up was a problem as it obscured whatever they had at the edge of the screen, so that might make it slightly less annoying for them but it wouldn't solve the bigger problem.

Also...

Statutory Ape posted:

the taskbar, which i have set to remain hidden and to the left side of the screen
...they're not going to be happy about this
https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/07/22/windows-11-kills-drop-drop-feature-for-taskbar-and-users-are-not-happy/

On the topic of Windows 11, I do have to eat crow on this one:

wolrah posted:

I am currently running the beta on a laptop with an i7-3530QM. The only bypass I have done is the TPM check. You'll be fine.

As far as I'm aware the list is just those CPUs that have TPM 2.0 built in, systems with external TPM or chipset-based TPM will also work officially, and there will also be bypasses for OEMs that will inevitably leak to the rest of us.
https://betanews.com/2021/07/28/microsoft-says-it-will-not-be-possible-to-bypass-windows-11-system-requirements/
Welp, I guess my old laptop's going back to Linux after the beta period is over.

Javid posted:

"Just don't use the software you have to use to do the things you do with your computer" is not a solution.
No, it's not, but when someone is incorrectly blaming the entire OS for the misbehavior of a single application without providing any further detail, telling them to stop using that application is the closest thing to a solution that could reasonably be offered until we got more details.

Javid posted:

Snuffing notifications on a per-app basis is a solved problem implemented in many other OSes, and would eliminate this problem forever while still allowing us to let them through for the minority of programs that ACTUALLY use them correctly.
Notifications are a different thing though, which Windows has as well and does offer similar app-level controls as most other OSes have.

This is the FlashWindow function on Win32, similar to requestUserAttention (bounce dock icon) on Mac OS or the UrgencyHint flag in X11.

I'm sure there are all kinds of ways to filter those requests on X11 systems up to and including being able to modify the code of the WM itself in most cases, but it doesn't seem to be an obvious built in control panel feature in either GNOME or KDE. As far as I can tell Mac OS allows you to disable all dock animations entirely, but no filtering either. I'm not saying being able to filter this feature is a bad idea either, but this is not something Windows is lacking compared to the competition.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The context menu thing pisses me off insofar that I can't start task manager anymore purely via mouse only.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

gently caress, seriously? Well that's a hell of a letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

https://betanews.com/2021/07/28/microsoft-says-it-will-not-be-possible-to-bypass-windows-11-system-requirements/ posted:

That group policy will not enable you to get around the hardware enforcement for Windows 11. We're still going to block you from upgrading your device to an unsupported state since we really want to make sure that your devices stay supported and secure.
Because Windows 10 without TPM 2.0 is going to be more secure than Windows 11 without TPM 2.0, somehow?