Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Jerkface posted:

How do you get AP rounds, is it possible to buy?

Yes, scroll right on the 'buy fuel' screen and hope it is in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Jerkface posted:

How do you get AP rounds, is it possible to buy?

rounds have to be compatible with a gun you have (equipped on a ship I think). if you get l80 mm ammo and you have no 180 mm guns on anything then you can't use it and it will sit in your stocks until you can use it or you just sell it. I kept buying random stuff and wondered why I couldn't use it too. things like the AA missiles and bombs you drop come from the shipworks as stuff that has to be installed on a ship (I'm pretty sure that's the only way to replenish them other than salvage maybe)

edit: might of misconstrued your question, game funky at times

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 3, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

how fast do you all move generally northward, 'cause the answer seems to be "never fast enough" for me so far if the fuel/credit clock is any indicator

Will the game save where I'm at if I need to close down for the night, or do I have to leave it open? Save system's a little unclear atm

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It kinda sucks that intercepting nukes still detonates em.

Also im loving the Varyag. Swapped out all the 57mms for CIWS though, and took out about 2/3s of the fuel to maximize coverage. Dueling other Varyags, I can reliably just shoot down their entire 180mm volley with the 37mms lol

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I haven’t seen the CIWS in game yet when do you unlock it

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
Messing around in the ship editor a bunch tonight, basically made a murder brick that did good and then started trying wide vs tall ships. Tall ships seem extremely vulnerable, wide ships are the better choice if you have to but the borg were right - a cube seems optimal if you do your work to make sure cannons all have clear lines of fire so make sure the giant fueltank option is as low as possible. You can also make an armor skirt not connected to a hull (just connected to armor) extending down the sides to limit the lower angle ships can get to fire on you as well which is nice.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I haven’t seen the CIWS in game yet when do you unlock it

it's on a few ships by default, it's the 37mm cannon.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Man they really upped the bonus rate, huh.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I just tried to make a triangular fuel tank and got a crash to desktop, which serves me right I suppose.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ciaphas posted:

how fast do you all move generally northward, 'cause the answer seems to be "never fast enough" for me so far if the fuel/credit clock is any indicator

Very very slowly. I've realised my error in strategy after reaching the second phase of the campaign - you're not just trying to execute a decapitation strike. The actual strategy you should be employing is just simple long term guerrilla tactics. The way I'm achieving this is using my Lightnings to take an entire block of cities, having them conduct all their repairs at once in order to draw in a Strike Group intentionally, then lure the SG to the Sevastopol and my aircraft carriers. The aircraft do the majority of the damage, and the Sevastopol herself cleans up the rest.

This strategy relies on hidden cities to conduct the larger repairs the Sevastopol needs after combat. After taking out an SG this way, I find it best to move to the other side of the map, repeat there, then advance diagonally.

Realised far too late that restarting battles drains Morale, and god I hate how important ship building is. It's not my cup of tea at the best of times, and it's so incredibly fiddly here. All I've done is upgun Lightnings and whack on jammers and radar to Skylarks, and that already felt like too much. Really hoping for Steam Workshop support for ship sharing.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Jerkface posted:

I am trying out the quick raiding party strat and its been pretty fun. I looted some cannons and modified a lightning to have the bigger guns and it definitely fucks but I dont have any AP rounds yet and also my thrust/weight is a lot lower/higher than your guys versions so im wondering if I need to get some better parts or strip more down ro what?

If you're having low thrust/weight you probably strip down or add more engines. As far as I can tell the shipbuilder screen has all the parts available from the start and there don't appear to be any straight +1 Engine Block style parts, but it's also possible you're putting on the fuel efficient engines instead of the high-thrust high-fuel ones.

Ciaphas posted:

Will the game save where I'm at if I need to close down for the night, or do I have to leave it open? Save system's a little unclear atm

If you feel literal time pressure with the DANGER clock (like, you want your main fleet to stay in place while your scouts check the next two cities) then you can just park ships in the desert outside the city. They won't consume fuel and they're safe unless you've been previously flagged or you have the bad/good luck of a transport wandering by.

I think it saves in "important events" like city captures and battles so if you shuffle around in the shipyard and then close it you might lose some stuff but it won't be too far back.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Very very slowly. I've realised my error in strategy after reaching the second phase of the campaign - you're not just trying to execute a decapitation strike. The actual strategy you should be employing is just simple long term guerrilla tactics. The way I'm achieving this is using my Lightnings to take an entire block of cities, having them conduct all their repairs at once in order to draw in a Strike Group intentionally, then lure the SG to the Sevastopol and my aircraft carriers. The aircraft do the majority of the damage, and the Sevastopol herself cleans up the rest.

This strategy relies on hidden cities to conduct the larger repairs the Sevastopol needs after combat. After taking out an SG this way, I find it best to move to the other side of the map, repeat there, then advance diagonally.

Realised far too late that restarting battles drains Morale, and god I hate how important ship building is. It's not my cup of tea at the best of times, and it's so incredibly fiddly here. All I've done is upgun Lightnings and whack on jammers and radar to Skylarks, and that already felt like too much. Really hoping for Steam Workshop support for ship sharing.

hidden cities are great but I'm still not sure how you're supposed to find them

I've bumbled into a couple accidentally but every time I actively go out looking for one, following roads into big empty areas between towns, I find loving nothing

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

hidden cities are great but I'm still not sure how you're supposed to find them

I've bumbled into a couple accidentally but every time I actively go out looking for one, following roads into big empty areas between towns, I find loving nothing

Do that but with ground radar supplementing it when you can afford to. They feel rarer in the north.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Do that but with ground radar supplementing it when you can afford to. They feel rarer in the north.
in my experience turning your radar on is a great way to receive every cruise missile in the entire kingdom directly into your face, which is the exact scenario I'm trying to avoid when looking for a hidden city

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Something I'm realizing about these huge murderhouse ships is it's really easy to make an obscene murderboat but it's nearly impossible to make one that has decent fuel efficiency

This thing for example can absolutely dominate the battlefield - it has combat maneuverability relatively comparable to a Lightning (can juke missiles etc), 8 130mm cannons, 4 37mm chainguns, 8 zenith missiles (I'm going to take these off though because they're overkill and can't make it past my chaingun spam), 2+ layers of armor, it even has armor on the bottom of the thrusters, all for $70k... but it uses over 1 ton of fuel per km traveled, which is more than 5x what a Lightning uses. So the question becomes, would having one of these be better than having 5 lightnings? Switching out several of the maneuverability thrusters for fixed thrusters helps just slightly, so it doesn't feel worth it.
(The Sevastapol uses 1.664 tons of fuel per km traveled for reference)

Has anyone had luck making fuel efficient gunboats or is this just going to be what happens if you want more than 1-2 guns on your ship?

I think I'm going to try and make some specialized tiny custom ships, like a really tiny flying motorcycle that has several chainguns for fleet AA, or little tiny sensor probes that can zip around with minimal fuel waste, or tankers that are literally just a fuel tank and a thruster

e: Okay yeah miniature ships seem to be a good idea, at least for support ships that shouldn't see combat

$680 for a little tag-along 400ton tanker that can almost keep up with your Lightnings. Susceptible to aircraft but how often do you actually see those :shrug: You could add some antennnas or a radar if you want to make it multi-role
Here it is with ELINT and antenna:

You can add one more engine for an extra 220 cost which makes it as fast as a Lightning, or two more engines for an extra 440 which makes it way faster than a Lightning.

Or you can make your radar/sensor ships tiny little probe droids with almost no radar profile of their own that go insanely fast, use virtually no fuel, and can fly over 2000km on a single tank of 40t of fuel.

Both of these can outrange enemy radar and only have a 100% get-detected chance at 100km distance.

They will obviously crumble if they face combat but they're cheap enough to not matter and fast enough to avoid it, and you can have them accompanying an actual combat ship.

Jamsque posted:

I just tried to make a triangular fuel tank and got a crash to desktop, which serves me right I suppose.

lmao this crashes the game for me too

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 3, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

in my experience turning your radar on is a great way to receive every cruise missile in the entire kingdom directly into your face, which is the exact scenario I'm trying to avoid when looking for a hidden city

Use sector scans and limit yourself to individual scans to minimise both detection risk and information gained by the enemy. It’s also preferable if you do this with modified Skylarks or similar, away from the Sevastopol - if you take fire, you want the speed to avoid and disengage.

Those probe droids and Lightning tankers are brilliant. I feel like a murderhobo ship is a necessity for engaging Strike Groups, and so shouldn’t be compared to Lightnings. Lightnings are excellent city raiders.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A fun thing I just found out: If you build a ship that's just absolutely covered in armor, you can ram into enemy ships and just insta-delete them. I've been testing this in the ship editor so I don't know if it will lead to the morale ramming penalties, but you can make an unarmed ship that's just a brick of armor with a bunch of engines and wipe out entire battles pretty fast without losing your armor

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kenlon posted:

Borderless window mode? Time to re-buy it after my refund.

They already fixed the most major of complaints and are (have?) even reintegrating windows 7 support for the crazies still running it.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Nitevision posted:

This game owns

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

A fun thing I just found out: If you build a ship that's just absolutely covered in armor, you can ram into enemy ships and just insta-delete them. I've been testing this in the ship editor so I don't know if it will lead to the morale ramming penalties, but you can make an unarmed ship that's just a brick of armor with a bunch of engines and wipe out entire battles pretty fast without losing your armor

This explains the change in weaponry by the time of Hammerfight

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

How many ships do you take to start. I think Im making a mistake taking too many and then I run out of money/fuel after the first 3 or 4 stops I make.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Womyn Capote posted:

How many ships do you take to start. I think Im making a mistake taking too many and then I run out of money/fuel after the first 3 or 4 stops I make.

I take

1x Flagship

1x Skylark
3x Lightning
1x Modified Rook

1x Skylark
3x Lightning
1x Modified Rook

Which leaves me with like $30k. Granted, I have a decent bonus already. Having two groups that can operate independently of your flagship should really help with money issues.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 3, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

someone actually already showed me a design which is the logical conclusion of this concept, which was dubbed the "windshield wiper"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Womyn Capote posted:

Just keep in mind that you don’t need to move every one of your ships simultaneously. I take the Sevastopol, whatever the aircraft carrier is called, three Lightnings, three modified Skylarks, a dedicated fast tanker to rescue stranded ships, and usually Rooks or whatever else I can afford.

There’s never any reason to not take every ship you can. Just don’t use them all at once. Create an operational carpet your main fleet can walk on with minimal threat, and use expendable forces for raiding. The raiding should be self sufficient.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

The game saves progress every time you fight, and I think there are a few other triggers that I haven't really paid enough attention too to know. You can exit and it will return to where you were, roguelike fashion.

The Fleet HQ "Saves" are just additional checkpoints if you die and don't want to restart from Ur.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Ahahaha, why build complicated ships, when you can just make a block of steel, with a triple armored ram. I'm a very stable genius.

https://i.imgur.com/1sESqwn.mp4

The small guys are hard to catch, but the cruisers only need a light touch and they disintegrate.

I'm sure this can be further refined, with more engines and rams in every direction.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The morale penalty for ramming isn't even that bad and you only get it the one time as far as I can tell.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

someone actually already showed me a design which is the logical conclusion of this concept, which was dubbed the "windshield wiper"

Nitevision posted:

This game owns

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

The morale penalty for ramming isn't even that bad and you only get it the one time as far as I can tell.

you get it every time, I think, but it's really not that bad. Morale is very manageable and I spend most of the time with it at or near full.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In my campaign yesterday, I got an event about the Governor recalling all strike groups to Khiva, making the city impregnable. I assumed that meant the game was telling me "you're dawdling WAY too much, get a move on or I'm game-overing this poo poo", but what you're saying implies that's either not the case or that that event doesn't always pop?

I hate time pressure :(
(e)

cock hero flux posted:

you get it every time, I think, but it's really not that bad. Morale is very manageable and I spend most of the time with it at or near full.
am I playing a different game? I got minus nine morale, and I was at 6 at the time so the game straight up game-over'd me

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

am I playing a different game? I got minus nine morale, and I was at 6 at the time so the game straight up game-over'd me

it's minus 3 per ram. One ramming penalty per fight isn't a big deal(which is good because it keeps happening to me when I very slightly clip an enemy ship, barely damaging mine), 3 in one fight is you lose.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

there was only one enemy left, how the gently caress did I get 3 rams! Game!! :argh:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

In my campaign yesterday, I got an event about the Governor recalling all strike groups to Khiva, making the city impregnable. I assumed that meant the game was telling me "you're dawdling WAY too much, get a move on or I'm game-overing this poo poo", but what you're saying implies that's either not the case or that that event doesn't always pop?

it's exactly what it says: the governor recalls all the strike groups to Khiva. this means that when you get to khiva, you will have a very big fight on your hands, assuming there's still a lot of strike groups around.

AFAIK the only things that actually give you game overs are having no ships, having all ships at 0 morale, the Grand Duke dying, and nuking Khiva. Everything else that can happen can make the game really, really difficult for you but you aren't going to just lose.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

also it's worth noting that after he recalls all the strike groups to Khiva you do seem to be able to bait them back out again by just flagrantly abandoning the concept of stealth. It mostly puts a time limit on the pure stealth strategy where if you sneak around too long without reaching Khiva then the governor gives up on finding you and just turns Khiva into an impregnable fortress because he knows where you're going anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

it's exactly what it says: the governor recalls all the strike groups to Khiva. this means that when you get to khiva, you will have a very big fight on your hands, assuming there's still a lot of strike groups around.

alright, so it's not a direct game-over; is it a random event, time based, or perhaps every time i get a certain distance north?

sure didn't FEEL like i was wasting time, my fuel/credits were trending downward and that was with skipping over half the cities I saw

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

alright, so it's not a direct game-over; is it a random event, time based, or perhaps every time i get a certain distance north?

sure didn't FEEL like i was wasting time, my fuel/credits were trending downward and that was with skipping over half the cities I saw

Might have something to do with number of cities visited or something like that. I ended up having to reload a save before the transmission from the capitol and went to a different unvisited city further to the south and it still triggered. Could be that, could be days elapsed, distance from Khiva, Fleet HQs captured, etc.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Ciaphas posted:

I hate time pressure :(
(e)

I got that message too in my most recent campaign - but I've already killed all the strike groups. I also killed the governors ship in the ambush so I think taking Khiva is going to be super easy.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

As far as I know it's just part of the story and happens after a set amount of time (like 10-15 days after the campaign starts?)

There are a few events that are basically "Oh poo poo, we're hosed, everything is ruined, the world is over" that are just story beats

But it may be triggered by city danger levels or something like others have mentioned :shrug: It happens to me every time and isn't really a huge deal either way - Strike Groups, it turns out, are fairly easy as long as you have some AP ammo

The key to not running low on credits is to stop and conquer every city and dismantle their guns and radars then sell those :) Then you can hang out for ~12 hours to refuel and gain morale before moving on. Also dismantle fuel tanks! They have a lot of fuel and you don't have to take it all at once, you can dismantle a downed ship's fuel tank and it will sit on the map forever until you've sucked up all of its fuel.

There's no actual important time pressure until after you take Khiva

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 3, 2021

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I’ve stopped playing the campaign entirely for the ship builder. It’s so fun once you get the hang of it, and you can build some ridiculous poo poo. Im trying to see how fast I can get while armed with four 37mm spinners. Current record is 700

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wow, uh, so don't have your aircraft group panel open while a missile is in flight, 'cos when the camera goes to combat and returns, everything becomes unclickable - even hitting escape and clicking Main Menu does nothing, I had to alt-F4 and lose all my progress

mad about that :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jerkface posted:

Also are you guys making these lightnings in the shipworks in the game or in the ship builder from the main menu and then they are available for purchase?

Does anyone have an answer for this?