Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

ponzicar posted:

I was about to say how adorable it is that a child wants to create their dream video game until I noticed that the creator's profile photo shows an adult, and his "design" includes a poo poo ton of predatory microtransactions.

Well it's not a very good game design if the player isn't constantly losing real money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

FYUTA

FYUTA is a solo (minus freelance) project to bring to market a brand new and novel take on the GTA-inspired open world style genre. There are many, what you could call 'clones', of this style of game - however it is not my intent to make a clone, but to strip down the entire style of game to it's core basics and completely re-imagine it from the ground up in how it should play.

Having done feasibility tests, everything stated above seems possible on some timeline, there do not seem to be technical limitations that cannot be over-come or simply maneuvered around. Optimization is a key component and running on older PCs is also a priority which naturally suits my indie nature.

Development takes part in stages called modules, such as a driving module, a third-person character module, and each module can be polished separately and combined at any point to make the game. If a module isn't good, we'll cut it and replace it with 2 more that are better.

Risks and challenges
Potential risks are some modules don't work or just plain suck, for example if driving sucks, that'd kind of ruin the game. This is easily overcome by having a 'modular' nature, where we can then remove the driving module and tweak it, or just build a completely new one, without losing the rest of the game because of some minor road bump. Wrenches can be thrown into any plan and a modular structure will help.

App Zero

Years ago I came up with the idea for App Zero and now is the time to build it. The number one challenge that I face is getting it to the market. The most difficult part about this is getting it across the finish line and hoping that no one will copy or steal the idea without the protections I need in place to protect myself. This is where my project asks for something that is very hard to come by in this world....Trust. I am asking you, the reader and potential backer, to put trust in me and my idea and know that it will be delivered in a matter of months..

Let me tell you a bit about App Zero in a peripheral manner. It will be available on both Android and Apple Stores. It is simplistic and will change a certain aspect of the way a smartphone is used. It will be used many many times a day by the user as it saves time and even relieves a certain amount of stress. This is also an app that everyone can and use in their daily lives. jAs you can tell from the rewards it does have a GUI (Graphical User Interface) and can be customized. The number one thing about the app is it's simplicity and once you use it you will never go back to the old ways. Also, in one of the first updates I will introduce an aspect to it that will potentially save lives. I know this all sounds incredibly strange and far-fetched but once you receive App Zero everything will click and you will have one of those moments where it all makes sense

Risks and challenges
The main risk that I have faced is trying to bring App Zero to the market without letting others copy my work.

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Jul 20, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What does it do? I'm not even quite sure myself, to be honest. Now give me your money and let's find out together!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I like how the fyuta guy is "re-imagining GTA from the ground up" and gives exactly 0 examples of gameplay or game design poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The best part about App Zero is that even if they actually did make a killer app that everyone wants it'd be copied by multiple major tech companies immediately and they'd bury his app while promoting their own.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Here's a highlight from the App Zero page's comments:

The creator says he has "the wireframes ready to give to the developer". So this guy isn't even a programmer -- he's just an idea guy who sketched out an app and wants to spend kickstarter money on hiring someone to make it for him!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I've listened to enough TrashFuture to know that app zero is probably something like "an uber for donuts" or "quibi but for youtube" or "premium phone wallpapers as a subscription service"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

I've listened to enough TrashFuture to know that app zero is probably something like "an uber for donuts"
You have my interest.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Isn't that just UberEats?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

But for donuts!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I remember there was some episode of the Giant Bombcast where they discussed an app called "BurritoCannon" and how they were disappointed that it wasn't literally fired from a mortar on Coit Tower. I'd be disappointed too.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Papyrus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Hub Cat posted:

Their profile pic is a model photo they probably stole from aliexpress.

People in the comments were contacting the studio that made the assets they were using and I guess they hit eject on their scam(?)

Yeah he stole the pic from here
https://onshopdeals.com/aetrends-2018-new-brand-100-cotton-baseball-cap-men-sport-hats-polo-hat-z-3023/

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retroteabreaks/the-colouring-book-of-retro-computers

No child will ever colour this book, not even a single page. Why the gently caress such idiocies are still being funded in 2021

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

laserghost posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retroteabreaks/the-colouring-book-of-retro-computers

No child will ever colour this book, not even a single page. Why the gently caress such idiocies are still being funded in 2021

Not sure what your problem with this campaign is - the coloring book is not intended for children, its aimed toward retro computing enthusiasts.

You are right about one thing - no one will ever color in this book. That's not really the point. In fact, the coloring book isn't really the point of the campaign, either. The point is to help fund a retro computing museum/exhibit space.

Seems like a neat idea. I've signed up for 2 (one for me, one for my oldest son who is also into retro computing).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think it's funny, because old computers were mostly grey or beige.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Paladinus posted:

I think it's funny, because old computers were mostly grey or beige.

They should have an add-on or stretch goal for a pack of black, white, grey, and beige crayons. Maybe a few off-grey/yellow colors for old or overheated ones. Throw in some phosphor green and orange for screens.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know what my dad's getting for christmas

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

laserghost posted:

Because adult colouring books are a popular form of relaxation therapy?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yeah, that book is absolutely for about-to-become-greybeards like me. And I'm not just saying that because I happen to like RMC.

I think it's a missed opportunity not to partner with Rocky Bergen for his papercraft designs of classic computers:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I might be stupid and wrong about things actually. Glad some people thought this colouring book is cool :)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Trabant posted:

Yeah, that book is absolutely for about-to-become-greybeards like me. And I'm not just saying that because I happen to like RMC.

I think it's a missed opportunity not to partner with Rocky Bergen for his papercraft designs of classic computers:

Those are freaking sweet and I might have to make some. All of the joy of owning a retro computer with none of the knowing you just spent a bunch of money on plastic box that's just going to molder in a corner.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adult coloring books have always been a thing, but in the past few years they've become a lot more popular.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ultrafilter posted:

Adult coloring books have always been a thing, but in the past few years they've become a lot more popular.

I suppose standard adult colouring books are about colourful or, ehh, "beautiful" things (or calming patterns like mandalas), not classic computers. Also in my perception the main audience is womenfolk, while this one's demographic differs somewhat. But the makers probably are very aware about these points!

Years ago there was a public domain Cthulhu mythology colouring book online that you could print for kids so they could colour Yog Sothoth pretty (and drive them mad). But now I see there's lots of similar offerings, for kids and adults alike, some free, some less free. I'm not sure if there's really that many people looking for new H.P. Lovecraft colouring books really, but more power to those who actually do like to colour those things :)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Dog Turd Trading Cards: Taking A Deuce! (Goes without saying but maybe don't click if you don't wanna see dog turds)

My name is Doug and I am incredibly immature. Are you immature, too?
Remember the fun of looking for Garbage Pail Kids cards as a kid? Are you a kid and would like to experience that feeling? Are you someone who knows a kid who likes gross--you know what? They're trading cards with pictures of dog turds on them. They have funny names and funny turd facts on the back. If that doesn't get your attention, this isn't for you!

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Aug 3, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Finger chopsticks

https://snactiv.life/?fbclid=IwAR0tqFm1LJ9Qq7fkLanQkjaOel8NkyyMDXoBm5mkKgTs4LC-qQPXMRrBqgk

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

quote:

You never have to put Snactiv down because it’s literally attached to you like that one tinder date who professed their love to you 38 minutes into your first date at the Olive Garden.That means you can focus on things that actually matter like getting a job.
:lol:

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
is it bad if that ... kind of looks like a really great product to me?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just one more step in our journey to become crab

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SNACTIV posted:

Snactiv is a patent pending, completely unnecessary, but very cool snacking tool with one function: to shove more snacks into your huge mouth…

You know, back in the day this product would have bought banner ads here and had Shmorky illustrate them.

The times, they are a’changin’.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Those cutely written campaigns are always the ones that fail the hardest

Outside the AI companion robots kickstarters od course, those make the biggest holes in wallets

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
They were instantly all over aliexpress for £1 shipped.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They don't seem like a bad idea, other than the bizarre bit where the makers apparently expect you to just constantly be using them instead of picking them up whenever you want something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

They don't seem like a bad idea, other than the bizarre bit where the makers apparently expect you to just constantly be using them instead of picking them up whenever you want something.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:laffo: it was also more expensive to back it, than it is just to preorder it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snactiv/snactiv

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

The real scam is sellers on sites like AliExpress realizing people will pay nearly US retail store prices for the convenience of buying absolute junk that takes a month to arrive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fools Infinite posted:

The real scam is sellers on sites like AliExpress realizing people will pay nearly US retail store prices for the convenience of buying absolute junk that takes a month to arrive.

I don't know if I would trust them to be made out of a food safe material.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Going Postal: The Legacy Foretold - Documentary

Featured Length Documentary about the infamous video game franchise POSTAL and its developer RWS.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/going-postal-the-legacy-foretold-documentary#/

It has flexible goal