Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ralph Hurley posted:

What happened to that Name of the Year bracket tournament? We need some more of the likes of Mathdaniel Squirrel and Jizyah Shorts.

Last I checked they let their website's hosting lapse and had only a crappy twitter account. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HopperUK posted:

Are good names allowed? Because my niece has a cousin named Brandon Steele and that's an astonishing name for a toddler to have. He's the coolest person in any room he's in by default.

Hell yeah I think good names should be posted.

I will never forget Lucas Dark and Demon Slaughter, who are absolutely perfect for a series of trashy but fun supernatural thriller novels.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Are good names allowed? Because my niece has a cousin named Brandon Steele and that's an astonishing name for a toddler to have. He's the coolest person in any room he's in by default.

I know a Dustin Steele, who absolutely increases the cool factor of any room he's in.

I've also credentialed Doctors Slaughter and Splatter. Splatter is Slaughter's anaesthetist.

And I work with a Purification, who, much to my disapointment, prefers to go by Josie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My brother in law used to play hockey with a Blade Lahache (french for The Axe) and later a Blade Two-Axe.

It might have been the same kid evolving like a Pokemon.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I propose that we put this thread to rest and open a more obviously general and less potentially exclusionary one for just PYF Cool, weird, or inexplicable names. All in favor?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Growing up I knew a guy with the last name Slaughter. He eventually joined the military and ended up Sergeant Slaughter. I always thought that was pretty metal.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
As someone who has a pop culture name, I feel bad for him for all the jokes he's had to endure about it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

subpar anachronism posted:

Growing up I knew a guy with the last name Slaughter. He eventually joined the military and ended up Sergeant Slaughter. I always thought that was pretty metal.

Nominative determinism is pretty cool. I know of an allergist here named Dr. Rash.

(I suspect it's pronounced Rosh, given his first name.)

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I propose that we put this thread to rest and open a more obviously general and less potentially exclusionary one for just PYF Cool, weird, or inexplicable names. All in favor?

I read far more often than posting here but that sounds good.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm not sure that's necessary. People have been posting cool and interesting names itt for as long as it's existed. Just change the title, and whack a note in the OP.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Lady Disdain posted:

I'm not sure that's necessary. People have been posting cool and interesting names itt for as long as it's existed. Just change the title, and whack a note in the OP.

Yeah, that’s the simplest option and makes the most sense to me.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Phy posted:

Nominative determinism is pretty cool. I know of an allergist here named Dr. Rash.

(I suspect it's pronounced Rosh, given his first name.)

My grandmother used to swear she knew a dentist named Dr. Toothaker. He would say “well, what else was I going to do for a living?”
I never totally believed her but that really is a last name.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My mum sometimes sees a neurologist called Doctor Axon. I find that very satisfying because it's so specific.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Lady Disdain posted:

New title suggestions, in that case?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
No idea. But something like PYF Noteworthy Names could be a place to start.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I once met this alt-right weirdo who, in the one conversation I had with him, was defending Franco and Pinochet. I later found out his last name was “Junta” and could not believe how prophetic that was.

(It was actually spelled “Giunta,” which Wikipedia tells me is Italian for “junta.”)

Laocius has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Aug 4, 2021

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
In the spirit of including names that are cool and good: Poshkant and Loveleen

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I worked for T-Mobile for a while and talked to a hundred people a day. My favorites:

German Bastard
(firstname, can't remember) McDangdang
Lil Flip
SO MANY GIRLS NAMED PRINCESS
So many people whose name was Muhammad Muhammad Muhammad
Million Heir

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
I worked at a place that, among other things, trained high schoolers to work in airplane manufacturing, and one of the students was named Storm Ironwing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iamyourking posted:

I worked at a place that, among other things, trained high schoolers to work in airplane manufacturing, and one of the students was named Storm Ironwing.

Well yeah it's that or try to beat Baloo and the Sea Duck in an air race, and that's not happening

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

New title suggestions, in that case?

PYF Interesting, Cool, and Weird Names?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Mechanical Pencil posted:

In the spirit of including names that are cool and good: Poshkant and Loveleen

Back in the '70s, my father was involved in a motorbike accident, because some cravat-wearing tosser in a Jag cut him off.
On the insurance claim form, under "Who was responsible?" he wrote "the Posh oval office." A few weeks later, he got a letter from the insurance company that basically said "your claim form only provided the details for yourself and Mr Cravat-wearer. Did you happen to get the details of Mr Poshcant?"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

PYF Interesting, Cool, and Weird Names?

Sure, I'm in favour

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Done.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dr. Dick Miller

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Thank you crispy shellfish croissant

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Iamyourking posted:

That sounds like a power metal band.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

The girl’s gym teacher at my school was Mrs. Firehammer :black101:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Rhett Thomas, which is unremarkable except there is a country singer named Thomas Rhett.

Unique Haire, which sounds like a salon.

Edit: gonna clear out the name list on my phone. These are all children under 10.

Onyx Moon (Lastname)
Centurian
Max Coke
(Firstname) Sky Walker
Cashleigh
Kyngstun
Blessen

And then the last names Wimp, Dolt, and Mister.

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 01:44 on Aug 6, 2021

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

DICK CHAMPION RISES EVERY MORNING

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

This probably wasn't a very effective protest since the law remained in place until some point in the 2000s, but the law in question was the bane of trans folks here. The basic idea of the law was that you can't have a name that may cause offense, but the established interpretation of it meant that you couldn't have a name that wasn't in line with your legal gender. So all the trans people who wanted to get rid of their deadname before having their gender marker changed (which is An Ordeal here) had to pick androgynous names at best. I know a lot of Robins, Kims and Alex:es because of this dumbshit ruling.

It's thankfully not like this any more, but it sure took a while.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Woebin posted:

This probably wasn't a very effective protest since the law remained in place until some point in the 2000s, but the law in question was the bane of trans folks here. The basic idea of the law was that you can't have a name that may cause offense, but the established interpretation of it meant that you couldn't have a name that wasn't in line with your legal gender. So all the trans people who wanted to get rid of their deadname before having their gender marker changed (which is An Ordeal here) had to pick androgynous names at best. I know a lot of Robins, Kims and Alex:es because of this dumbshit ruling.

Wow, that is a problem I hadn't even thought about! Thanks for the information, Woebin, it's good to know.

Is it okay that I leave the photo up, since the name itself is quite funny, or would you recommend I remove it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Woebin posted:

I looked up the name law that we have and 2§* says first names have to be "established for the same gender/sex**" but 3§ states that an exception can be made if the name is used by at least five living persons in the Population Information System, and also if there's - and I'm trying to get the nuance right here but it's basically impossible - considered to be some other special reason. That's vague enough for the law to allow for a person who is a woman to change their name to one generally considered to be a woman's name for the reason "well I'm a woman despite the fact that the state considers me a man" and vice versa but I bet it isn't! It was probably written extra vaguely on purpose.

All the names that fit 2§ for both genders/sexes are either super old-fashioned or what are generally considered to be :rolleyes:-inducing*** hippie names. Kaino and Vieno are the ones that come to mind first, and it's rather telling vis-à-vis the old-fashionedess that the "official" Finnish name for Grandma Duck is Kaino-Vieno Ankka. Also the names mean "Bashful" and "Twee", respectively.

*) I keep typing ½ because my muscle memory is geared towards always using the §-key with the shift key.
**) The distinction doesn't really exist in the language, or at least not in a generally established way. I don't know what the legal definition here is, if indeed it's defined.
***) Being called "Mist" or "Poem" will elicit certain reactions from a majority of people regardless of what one personally thinks of the names. e: Or hippies.

tl;dr: Our name law is extremely vague and relies heavily on terms that have no and can have no legal definition, e.g. "obvious".

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Wow, that is a problem I hadn't even thought about! Thanks for the information, Woebin, it's good to know.

Is it okay that I leave the photo up, since the name itself is quite funny, or would you recommend I remove it?
Oh I don't personally see any issue at all with the image, it was just a good opportunity to share some interesting/infuriating trivia 🙂 I vaguely remember a case hitting the news where the law kept some parents from naming their daughter "Metallica" too, which honestly was probably a good thing for the kid.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

DICK CHAMPION RISES EVERY MORNING

I'm really worried about Dick Champion being greeted by the sound of his lathe. Does he leave the lathe on overnight or is someone else in his workshop operating it ? Or does it just squeal even when it's not on ?

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 11:13 on Aug 6, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also was wondering about the ghost of elvis haunting dick champion's wood shop overnight.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
zomyllia
zamender
vinicius
chrisbery
perleapha
moody
kewaii (my long-buried weebness read this as kawaii)
steely
celebrity
dizzy III

last names:
swamp
plump
bougie
daleness

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
I'm Daleness

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Not a person's name, but there's a Cow Patty Lane in Billings, MO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Not a person's name, but there's a Cow Patty Lane in Billings, MO.

I am 100% happy about the thread expanding to the names of places, because there are some absolutely bonkers ones.