Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I wonder if they'll consider AZ with pfizer 2nd shot. Some studies coming out showing good results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MildCuthbert/status/1422475974055055363

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Capt.Whorebags posted:

As a resident of NSW I say take off and nuke the site from orbit.

It’s the only way to be sure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

The bigger issue is that it'll end up so prevalent that leaks into the states that actually had their poo poo together will be inevitable.

Sept-Jan will be an endless series of lockdowns across VIC, SA and QLD to deal with all the failure seeping out of NSW while Binchicken blames it on western Sydney ethnics who aren't getting vaccinated.

If we end up forced to Community Covid Normal and it turns out Melbourne did their big lockdown/reduce to zero for no reason because Sydney couldn't hack it when it was their turn, poo poo is gonna get even uglier.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

I wonder if they'll consider AZ with pfizer 2nd shot. Some studies coming out showing good results.

Problem is the community won't consider it because the brand's been poisoned in Australia.

MikeJF posted:

If we end up forced to Community Covid Normal and it turns out Melbourne did their big lockdown/reduce to zero for no reason because Sydney couldn't hack it when it was their turn, poo poo is gonna get even uglier.

Reading up more on the roadmap out and the vaccination targets etc, and it strikes me again that this is all an incredibly bad outcome. People who think that vaccines will render this "just another flu" (like the flu doesn't already suck) are ignoring that it's more contagious, deadlier than the flu (and will presumably still be comparatively so even with vaccines) and will continue to throw up variants as it rampages across the developing world for years to come. But I see a lot of people on social media who think that once they're jabbed it's not their problem anymore, and I don't know whether that's just from an understandable cognitive bias or because they've never really been particularly concerned about the disease itself either.

What's New Zealand doing? Have they named vaccination threshhold targets for reopening? It's irritating how absent they are from the national discourse as the only other Western country that's taken a similar successful tack as Australia.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Can't wait for "let 'er rip". I wonder what the long covid stats are like amongst the vaccinated.

I loving hate that I just have to resign myself to the fact that I'm gonna get covid, loving hell.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So just to be clear, NSW was just a couple of weeks ago asking other states for their vaccines and is getting more of them now, but is also saying they'll ease up restrictions despite widespread cases once they reach vaccination targets for their state, inevitably leading to vases in the rest of the country?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I hope every other state has made it very clear that if they do so the walls are up until we are all vaccinated.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Can someone make bugs bunny sawing off NSW?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

How does 80% and 70% targets out of Morrison's mouth become 50% out of Gladys?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

freebooter posted:

Problem is the community won't consider it because the brand's been poisoned in Australia.

Study showed 6 times the antibodies with an AZ/pfizer mix. Nothing is going to shake the mud blood stigma but it might help boomers get over the 2nd best tag and be a better strategy for Sydney and whichever city has the next big one. I think they are doing this in Canada.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

No thanks, I’ll blame Gladys for seamlessly moving from “we don’t need to lockdown” to “this lockdown thing is way too hard, 70% (of eligible population) vaccinated and we can let it rip”

Multiple other states have managed to deal with a delta outbreak without being colossal fuckups

Is it only NSW and SA with lib premiers?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Tas

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And Tasmania. Edit: dammit tommu :negative:

blackcat12951 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 3, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Doesn't count. Not Australia.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Here in Canberra the supermarkets are just using ordinary employees to enforce QR code’s and I don’t think that’s appropriate.

Yeah it's hosed.

Staff members have absolutely no power to get people to sign in, but the health directives say they're responsible if people don't do it.

I can just imagine some poor bastard having spent their 8 hours being abused only to be called in by a manager saying "We've received a number of complaints about you from customers. This is your first and final written warning. No you don't get to defend yourself, you're a casual and have no rights."

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

hooman posted:

I wonder what the long covid stats are like amongst the vaccinated.

Cant find any. The only real data is the already posted data about 99% of all Covid hospitalizations are with unvaccinated people / 90+% efficacy of AZ or Pfizer in that respect.

Actually doing a search while writing this post - the best I can find is vaccinations help people who already have Long Covid recover -

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/vaccines-long-covid

Too early to say maybe but it seems like long covid incidence just may not be there if you are vaccinated - or if it happens, it's too rare to have caught much medical attention

Edit : Also this link says it doesnt seem like long covid happens with vaccinated people but more time needed to find out

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/7/20/22583509/long-covid-fully-vaccinated

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 3, 2021

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
dr crackl-ping is on the bad show this week, can’t wait

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Cant find any. The only real data is the already posted data about 99% of all Covid hospitalizations are with unvaccinated people / 90+% efficacy of AZ or Pfizer in that respect.

Actually doing a search while writing this post - the best I can find is vaccinations help people who already have Long Covid recover -

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/vaccines-long-covid

Too early to say maybe but it seems like long covid incidence just may not be there if you are vaccinated - or if it happens, it's too rare to have caught much medical attention

Edit : Also this link says it doesnt seem like long covid happens with vaccinated people but more time needed to find out

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/7/20/22583509/long-covid-fully-vaccinated

Thanks for that, got my fingers crossed that the answer is "none".

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Chadzok posted:

How does 80% and 70% targets out of Morrison's mouth become 50% out of Gladys?

70% of the eligible population doesn't include people below a certain age and people who can't have it - equating to about 50% of the population apparently. A number that is noticeably not high enough for herd immunity.

Gladys and Morrison are essentially telling people to get vaxxed because they intend to let it rip like the US and UK who are instituting lockdown measures to help their hospital systems cope.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

freebooter posted:

What's New Zealand doing? Have they named vaccination threshhold targets for reopening? It's irritating how absent they are from the national discourse as the only other Western country that's taken a similar successful tack as Australia.

We have no public plans currently, announcement next week.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/covid-19/448278/covid-19-border-plans-set-to-be-revealed-next-week

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

70% of the eligible population doesn't include people below a certain age and people who can't have it - equating to about 50% of the population apparently. A number that is noticeably not high enough for herd immunity.

Gladys and Morrison are essentially telling people to get vaxxed because they intend to let it rip like the US and UK who are instituting lockdown measures to help their hospital systems cope.

This is exactly what I think is going to happen. They’re going to let it rip at 70% of adults and I’m going to keep my kids at home while cases build to hundreds, maybe thousands a day, and children get pummelled by it.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

realbez posted:

This is exactly what I think is going to happen. They’re going to let it rip at 70% of adults and I’m going to keep my kids at home while cases build to hundreds, maybe thousands a day, and children get pummelled by it.

Haven't there been nearly 0 fatalities in children with this virus? I mean, haven't all the child fatalities been like, in cases where the kid already has AIDS or cancer or some other poo poo?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Haven't there been nearly 0 fatalities in children with this virus? I mean, haven't all the child fatalities been like, in cases where the kid already has AIDS or cancer or some other poo poo?

No fatalities doesn't mean no bad infections with lasting complications. Also kids with underlying conditions don't deserve to die of covid either.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

It’s the 8th highest cause of death in children in the US

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Delta has led to greater hospitalisation rates in children.

I’ve had just good old normal flu for the last week and have been unable to work or even read my kid his bedtime stories.

Looking forward to getting super covid from another Gladystan escapee (although escapee implies some active effort to keep them in) before I can get fully vaxxed because even though my wife works in the ICU at our biggest hospital and I have lifelong chronic asthma it’s not quite severe enough to have moved me up the queue.

(I’m now going to get shot with the lovely australia made vax as soon as I’m well enough because I’m betting Gladys will have Melbourne returning to widespread community transmission before I can get Pfizer, maybe I’ll get lucky and be allowed the mix 1/2 dose.)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It’s the 8th highest cause of death in children in the US

Ah but what race were they, this is important

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ah but what race were they, this is important

Is Florida a race?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Is Florida a race?

A race to the bottom?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Keeping the car radio on abc news is going to kill me

Every time they play a question time clip where a useless gently caress gives Morrison the sloppiest verbal gobbie so he can then claim the fed gov isn't a poo poo golem that had to be dragged loving screaming to do any part of its job, how they present themselves as taking measured responses to a developing situation and not so far behind the ball hubble can't make them out is so aggravating. Someone just call them out on their bullshit please. Albo gently caress off you're not going to wedge the libs with $300 jab bucks.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Should be 10 X $30m prizes. Everyone would get it done.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Should be 10 X $30m prizes. Everyone would get it done.

That's a good point.
Make it a punt

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Donut day for Victoria, joining the "actually you can get on top of Delta so long as you go hard and early" club.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
gently caress yeah Victoria! I hope Qld can pull out of this as quickly.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Sounds about time for vic to lap NSW a third time

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol, some ministerial failson is getting 6 figures to hit Forward on an email once a day

quote:

The health department is refusing to say how much it is paying a public relations firm to email a copy of the Covid-19 vaccination data displayed on its website to media outlets each day.

The department, which has its own media and communications team, has contracted PR firm Cox Inall Communications to take a copy of its daily PDF of vaccination data, attach it to an email, and send it to media outlets.

The PR firm does not provide any additional detail on the vaccine rollout or present the data in a less rigid format than PDF, which often frustrates researchers and data analysts.

“I am reaching out on behalf of the Australian government (department of health) to provide you with the latest data on total vaccine doses,” Cox Inall says. “Our team will be sending an updated deck through to your newsroom each day to ensure you are up to date with the latest data for the Covid-19 vaccine rollout.”

No information about the contract has been displayed on the public database of government tenders, AusTender.

When approached about the work, the department refused to say how much of taxpayers’ money was being given to Cox Inall for the service.

Guardian Australia was told it would have to wait until the contract was published on AusTender.

The department’s most recent contract with Cox Inall gave the firm $300,000 for three months’ work to provide “agency and event support for Covid-19 vaccine communications”.

The department did not answer questions on whether paying a private firm to do such basic work was value-for-money.

But it said Cox Inall was contracted as part of a broader communications campaign.

“They are undertaking a range of tasks including information booths at shopping centres to support people who wish to book a vaccination appointment to broader communications to support the vaccination program,” a spokeswoman said. “A key priority of communication is addressing vaccine hesitancy within the Australian community – often amplified online and via various other channels.”

It’s not the first time in recent weeks that a government department has refused to provide basic information about contracts with private firms.

Last week, the Department of Education, Skills and Employment refused to say why it was giving management consultants McKinsey and Company $2.2m for two months’ of “confidential” work.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Nice work if you can get it.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol, some ministerial failson is getting 6 figures to hit Forward on an email once a day

Que reddit post where some guy completely automates this entire job to an automated program and stops going into work, or goes into work and just builds a fort out of boxes for 2 years.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A reminder, that even though Christian Porter is a rapist, he will face no consequences because of that. And seems to even have been rewarded.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...iqC80CNsz1itibI

I am going to be so sad when the Libs win the next election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Cox Inall.....

Is this is social rowing team name?

Also lol that Queensland's Health Minister found out about the extra 150,000 doses of AZ being sent to them from the media.