Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Finally beat the campaign. Didn't find the ballistic missile Typhoons difficult, as I just had 3 skylarks spread out, find them, then nuked there fleets. Other than that it was just a wait for the strike groups to show up, as I had used a skylark and lightening to bait them far south by staying in a city for like 5 days. Easy to spot them on ELINT and have your heavies ready to take care of them when they march back north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jerkface posted:

Does anyone have an answer for this?

The Lightning is a stock ship, and extremely effective for its price. People are mostly running them stock, or with minor variants that are just replacing one set of guns with another.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jerkface posted:

When you design a ship in either the shipworks or during a campaign and then save the ship (in the campaign this is done by giving it a unique name when prompted, in the ship editor it's the save/load button) you can select that ship as one of your starting purchases when starting a new campaign.

e: Dang major pro tip - you can sell the Sevastapol for 156k mid-campaign but umm, it kills you and ends the campaign :v: Has anyone found a way to designate something else as the flagship? Or should I just disassemble the sevastapol and build something else with its bridge

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 3, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Voyager I posted:

The Lightning is a stock ship, and extremely effective for its price. People are mostly running them stock, or with minor variants that are just replacing one set of guns with another.

NGL i want to mod the stock lightning just to use a weapon with a less irritating reload sound :tizzy:

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: Dang major pro tip - you can sell the Sevastapol for 156k mid-campaign but umm, it kills you and ends the campaign :v: Has anyone found a way to designate something else as the flagship? Or should I just disassemble the sevastapol and build something else with its bridge

Open a ship's .seria file in notepad and add "m_flagship=true" under the m_alignment=1 tag, like so:

I don't know if you can change the flagship mid campaign, though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

Finally beat the campaign. Didn't find the ballistic missile Typhoons difficult, as I just had 3 skylarks spread out, find them, then nuked there fleets. Other than that it was just a wait for the strike groups to show up, as I had used a skylark and lightening to bait them far south by staying in a city for like 5 days. Easy to spot them on ELINT and have your heavies ready to take care of them when they march back north.

Hmm I will try a few Skylarks next start. You just use em to bait out the nukes?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I’m trying to master the basics before trying to split my strike groups, but is the idea that you have one smaller faster group? Can it just stay out indefinitely? What if you forget where it is?

Almost wish I wasn’t going to the beach this weekend so I could play this game. drat it’s hooked me good.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I put 2 bombs, 2 air to air missiles, and add one of those 2000rpm guns to the top of my lightnings. It fucks poo poo up. You need to add another generator, ammo, and crew quarters but it's easy to fit.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I’m trying to master the basics before trying to split my strike groups, but is the idea that you have one smaller faster group? Can it just stay out indefinitely? What if you forget where it is?

Almost wish I wasn’t going to the beach this weekend so I could play this game. drat it’s hooked me good.

I take my heavy group and flagship into the middle of the desert off roads then send out quick strike groups to surrounding towns from there. Saves a gently caress ton of fuel. They can stay out forever, just refuel and repair them in town.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Top Gun Reference posted:

Open a ship's .seria file in notepad and add "m_flagship=true" under the m_alignment=1 tag, like so:

I don't know if you can change the flagship mid campaign, though.

notepad+ fam

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Back Hack posted:

I got three flavors for you.

Golem: heavy corvette armed with 6x130 cannons, 2xchain-guns, 2xMissiles. Is relatively slow, but extremely armored, so it can go toe to toe with most cruisers.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ugDA49A7PnprTm9A3gXsawZSZ0HgxbSZ?usp=sharing

Nutcracker Mk2: Equipped with4xAK-100s, 2xchain-guns, and 1xMK-2-180 cannon. Up-gunned version of my Nutcracker but loses the missiles

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KlPK-5S3eXw5AUZTvra4yoVRVdSsNwoM?usp=sharing

Grendel: Uses 3x57 autocannons for AA and 2xMK-2-180 for everything else. Will tear apart most cruisers as long as you keep your distant.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LAeIycvh_a7EWs-bLCm92v2nxrVQOfTp?usp=sharing

So if I slip these files somewhere into the folder these designs will be available to me? I just haven't dived into the ship editor much year so it'd be nice to play around with other people's designs and maybe get a feel for it. If so where exactly do I need to put these files?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Microprose off to a fantastic start with this title.

I lost my first campaign but I figured some stuff out so hopefully next round should go smoother. I really need to try messing around in the ship editor, I have no idea what I'm doing though.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
One thing that does surprise me is the lack of granularity when it comes to fueling. You can choose how much fuel goes out per detachment, but I would appreciate some way of transferring fuel from my tankers to the rest of the group manually, if only to make it easier to bring fuel back to the main heavy ship. Game still owns so hard tho.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Robo Turnus posted:

One thing that does surprise me is the lack of granularity when it comes to fueling. You can choose how much fuel goes out per detachment, but I would appreciate some way of transferring fuel from my tankers to the rest of the group manually, if only to make it easier to bring fuel back to the main heavy ship. Game still owns so hard tho.

When you dispatch a group you can specify the fuel load - 50% or full. So just make your haulers 100% and that should work.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Velius posted:

When you dispatch a group you can specify the fuel load - 50% or full. So just make your haulers 100% and that should work.

also lmao turns out you have a knob to adjust exactly how much fuel you want to give to a detachment. Should have read the dang labels. I knew this game must have some sort of system in place.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Almost certainly ship builder. Your custom designs don't seem to show up in game. You can also just mod your ships on the fly in the campaign if you like, but you'll need to find a city with the appropriate parts and so it's slower and expensive and also it's a pain because you have to do more clicking.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Play posted:

So if I slip these files somewhere into the folder these designs will be available to me? I just haven't dived into the ship editor much year so it'd be nice to play around with other people's designs and maybe get a feel for it. If so where exactly do I need to put these files?

They will be available for purchase in the list of ships when starting a new campaign

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Something I'm realizing about these huge murderhouse ships is it's really easy to make an obscene murderboat but it's nearly impossible to make one that has decent fuel efficiency

The problem is scale, for every three small thrusters you should be switching to one of the large thrusters, because it provides the same thrust for a faction of the fuel cost. This also applies to fuel tanks except the conversion works out for every 6 small tank should be switched for a large tank, because it weigh almost the same amount but has almost a third more fuel.

Play posted:

Just toss both files for each ship in your ship folder (which is in the Highfleet folder wherever you install the game) and BAM! You're done. They'll be available for you to edit and use in the campaign.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 3, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Thanks guys! That'll be fun

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Can you put the big thrusters on a small ship?? Can’t believe I just thought of this.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Back Hack posted:

The problem is scale, for every three small thrusters you should be switching to one of the large thrusters, because it provides the same thrust for a faction of the fuel cost. This also applies to fuel tanks except the conversion works out for every 6 small tank should be switched for a large tank, because it weigh almost the same amount but has almost a third more fuel.

Just toss both files for each ship in your ship folder (which is in the Highfleet folder wherever you install the game) and BAM! You're done. They'll be available for you to edit and use in the campaign.

Yes they provide the same amount of thrust but they weigh 9x more, so its not a fixed decision.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes they provide the same amount of thrust but they weigh 9x more, so its not a fixed decision.

True, but it doesn't add that more extra weight overall, they're still going nearly double their range at the cost of maybe 10-20km/h off their max speed.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Finally managed to beat the game. The endgame segment was...I think there's an intended way to do it that's very easy, and the way I did it was not that way. I got through the entire first section by building a brick and slowly smashing my way through everything but once you hit the city that immediately stops working.

So when the nuke carriers pop up what I suspect you're supposed to do is pinpoint them with scouts and then airstrike/cruise missile/nuke them to death, versus trying to engage them directly. I, being the fool that I am, spread out my fleets to capture the various cities and then tried to engage them in honorable ship-to-ship combat.

This got me nuked. Repeatedly. But you know what? If you have good CIWS you can shoot down a couple of nukes per fleet before the fleet is annihilated. You'll take damage, because the explosion radius is so great, but you can actually survive nukes!

So I ended up just spreading my fleets out and facetanking all their nukes, then engaging them normally with whatever left. It wasn't pretty, but they do give you a LOT of ships at the end there.

Oh, question about the endgame segment. Do the nuke carriers ever have to refuel? I chased one around with a scout until my scout ran out of fuel and it seemed by the ELINT that they never dock unless it's at one of the launch sites.

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 3, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Quick Table for engines:
Weight includes the minimum frame weight

pre:
Name: Weight:   Thrust:  Fuel Economy  Econ/weight
D30S   94 tons   32MN    8MN/kg/s      0.085
D30    117 tons  25MN    8.3MN/kg/s    0.071
Mk25   149 tons  36MN    6MN/kg/s      0.040
RD59   924 tons  90MN    12.8MN/kg/s   0.014
RD51   838 tons  110MN   15.7MN/kg/s   0.018

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Velius posted:

There is a dial you can use to fine tune the fuel load:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

is there any magic to hitting with cruise missiles? I managed to get the drop on an SG with elint and triangulation - rather proud of that - so I figure, let's cruise missile 'em while they're unaware. My triangulation was accurate but the jerks just shot down all four :mad:

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Ciaphas posted:

is there any magic to hitting with cruise missiles? I managed to get the drop on an SG with elint and triangulation - rather proud of that - so I figure, let's cruise missile 'em while they're unaware. My triangulation was accurate but the jerks just shot down all four :mad:

Nah you just have to deal with the luck aspect. Maybe send some planes in first, that way they won't have so many AAMs. Of course then you're losing expensive planes so ehhh.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lowen posted:

Nah you just have to deal with the luck aspect. Maybe send some planes in first, that way they won't have so many AAMs. Of course then you're losing expensive planes so ehhh.

it wasn't even AAMs, it was just a shitload of dakka :tizzy:

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
Conventional cruise missiles seem a bit underpowered to be honest. You can only send them in one at a time and they're very expensive for the results you get if they do hit. They work ok on garrisons, but those are easily dismantled with lightnings anyway. Aircraft seem better since they can split up the enemy air defense, are more versatile and reusable.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Top Gun Reference posted:

Conventional cruise missiles seem a bit underpowered to be honest. You can only send them in one at a time and they're very expensive for the results you get if they do hit. They work ok on garrisons, but those are easily dismantled with lightnings anyway. Aircraft seem better since they can split up the enemy air defense, are more versatile and reusable.

aircraft are at best semi-reusable because you'll lose at least 1/3rd of any sortie against anything with guns but they're still more cost effective than most missiles, except that's is quite common to be able to buy cruise missiles from cities (and ofc you get a bunch of free nukes from every silo you capture) and drat uncommon to be able to purchase replacement aircraft.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!
are aircraft not at most rare parts cities?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

punishedkissinger posted:

are aircraft not at most rare parts cities?

They are yeah. Haven’t used them myself

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned here was that when you intercept radio transmissions, the bearing that you tune (the second knob) is the origin of the radio signal, which can be vitally important to help track things.

Maybe the game tells you this outright, maybe you should know because its a "bearing" knob, but it went right over my head until I figured it out and it was crazy helpful.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Been playing this for a few restarts now, and I am wondering how is bonus credit rewarded? I have not seem to have gained any since the prologue

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stevefin posted:

Been playing this for a few restarts now, and I am wondering how is bonus credit rewarded? I have not seem to have gained any since the prologue

You don't get it until your run ends. You can just restart from the main menu whenever and you'll keep what you've accrued so far. Keep in mind you only get score from capturing cities, battles, and I think a pittance from intercepts. Ya gotta fight people.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Bonus points are never lost, and you gain them with each game over (or restart). You gain nothing from reloading a Fleet HQ checkpoint though, just the chance to continue earning more points and making progress in that same run. Once you begin a fresh run in Ur you have access to them.

I think beating the game gave me an absurd amount, and i'm now up to like $320,000 bonus after only ~9 runs.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For some reason I did not gain any bonus at all from any of my runs until yesterday. The last two gave me ~+50k each when they ended :shrug:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm up to the point where I have like 180k points and this is probably the run cuz I can afford multiple missle carriers and two strike groups. What I don't have is anything that can tangle with enemy strike groups, but thats what the cruise missiles are going to be for I think.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Thanks thread for the suggestion or parking the Sevastopol somewhere in the middle of nowhere and sending out strike groups to take cities. It saves a ton of fuel and I don't have to sit around in cities waiting to gas up for long periods of time.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Game needs a slomo button, I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Always make sure to remember where your missile tubes are pointing

https://i.imgur.com/DU9z8fI.mp4