Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Predator...and then the Predator shows up

And it turns into an awkward romantic comedy as the two Predators are first at odds, but romance blossoms as they learn to get along and take down the team of mercenaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Binary Badger posted:

Sense and Sensibility... and then the Predator shows up

Kindergarten Cop... and then the Predator shows up

Fried Green Tomatoes... and then the Predator shows up

iCarly... and then the Predator shows up

Eat, Prey, Love

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PhotoKirk posted:

Fast and the Furious: LV426

I mean, from the aliens pov the movie IS about FAMILY

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I mean, from the aliens pov the movie IS about FAMILY

The end of Alien where Ripley is blasting the alien off the escape pod with the engines but “See You Again” is playing

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

skasion posted:

The end of Alien where Ripley is blasting the alien off the escape pod with the engines but “See You Again” is playing

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sunswipe posted:

Can't remember who, but someone earlier said that the first Predator film was a regular action flick, then the Predator turns up. Predator 2 is a buddy cop movie, then the Predator turns up. I've been racking my brains trying to figure out what the next genre the Predator should invade is, and now I know: martial arts tournament. You could even have Van Damme in the lead role to bring it full circle. gently caress it, have him play Frank Dux from Bloodsport. The real Dux probably claims he fought an alien at some point.

This reminds me I'm still pissed the recent Nicholas Cage film Jiu Jitsu wasn't given a huge budget and a better director.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhIxOqv5Cs0

Premise is basically Predator except the alien is a Warframe character who wants to continue to perfect their martial arts because their people are a race of some knightly order or something so they pop in every few years to fight earth's mightiest warriors and keep doing that until one of them is able to actually wound it or put up a good enough fight before getting killed at which point the alien leaves, having learned more about martial arts since they got sort of defeated. Also they came to our world thousands of years ago to teach humanity martial arts so that they could keep doing this to learn even more lol

Like look at that trailer and how rad they were able to get it to look how the gently caress do you drop the ball on this so hard?

A bit offtopic but the same guy directed Slaughterhouse Rock in the 80s which is another "okay TECHNICALLY this should be loving awesome but....what the gently caress is happening" Like there's a lifelessness to both flicks I don't get.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 3, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Prof. Crocodile posted:

this is also exactly how vandamme lost the role of abraham lincoln to daniel day lewis

Funnily enough it’s also how he lost the role of Jesus Christ to Jim Caviezel. Guy just can’t get a break!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Funnily enough it’s also how he lost the role of Jesus Christ to Jim Caviezel. Guy just can’t get a break!

Jesus was an astronaut kickboxed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oceans 11... then the predator shows up

PhotoKirk posted:

Fast and the Furious: LV426
Oh my god

Make it part of the regular FF franchise. It wouldn't even stand out that much.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It would be cool to see the predator do the splits

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Like look at that trailer and how rad they were able to get it to look how the gently caress do you drop the ball on this so hard?
1. Hollywood keeps thinking we want the Predator to be cool instead of an rear end in a top hat.
2. Hollywood keeps thinking we give the slightest gently caress about where the Predator comes from.
3. Hollywood keeps thinking that unless we make new Predators bigger and scarier than the last ones people will lose interest.
4. Clearly something broke in Shane Black's brain after writing Iron Man 3 because holy poo poo that movie sucked.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I quickly looked up The Predator on IMDB and while Shane Black is a writer, there's 3 more writers credited. I suspect they all had different ideas because that movie feels like several stories mashed together and the final result reflects that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Now I'm picturing the Predator doing the splits on a counter top and for some reason really want to see that.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It would be cool to see the predator do the splits

EDIT: You fucker

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Oh yeah and if any of youse needs a really good Alien knockoff, Roger Corman's Forbidden World from 1982 delivers the goods. Also known as MUTANT which lines up better with ALIEN titlewise, but anyway there's a galactic food crisis so some scientists at an isolated lab have been working on alternate food sources. Things get bad when they create Subject #20, which takes its job as an ever growing blob of goo a little too seriously for the health of all concerned ...

It's funny, gross, got a weird German computer score, loads of nudity, and a logical progression to the horror - instead of just copying the Alien the filmmakers came up with their own gross out monster with its own needs and desires.

Trailer here, and some excellent posters:

Apologies if this has already been rec'd in this thread, but it's a good movie!!!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Splicer posted:

Oceans 11... then the predator shows up

Oh my god

Make it part of the regular FF franchise. It wouldn't even stand out that much.

And the sequel, Acheron Drift.

Ripley: if you ain't out of control you ain't in control!
*Apc drifting on top of the Derelict*

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jetto Jagga posted:

Oh yeah and if any of youse needs a really good Alien knockoff, Roger Corman's Forbidden World from 1982 delivers the goods. Also known as MUTANT which lines up better with ALIEN titlewise, but anyway there's a galactic food crisis so some scientists at an isolated lab have been working on alternate food sources. Things get bad when they create Subject #20, which takes its job as an ever growing blob of goo a little too seriously for the health of all concerned ...

It's funny, gross, got a weird German computer score, loads of nudity, and a logical progression to the horror - instead of just copying the Alien the filmmakers came up with their own gross out monster with its own needs and desires.

Trailer here, and some excellent posters:

Apologies if this has already been rec'd in this thread, but it's a good movie!!!

Just want to echo that this movie fuckin' owns imo. In addition to all the cool things about it Jetto Jagga mentioned it has some good and creative body horror effects too and an extremely baller soundtrack.

Also the sets in it look great because they were reused from Galaxy of Terror. :D

IIRC the version called MUTANT is more complete and has the humor intact.

Space truckiiin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8n2cPZgdxk

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Neo Rasa posted:

Just want to echo that this movie fuckin' owns imo. In addition to all the cool things about it Jetto Jagga mentioned it has some good and creative body horror effects too and an extremely baller soundtrack.

Also the sets in it look great because they were reused from Galaxy of Terror. :D

IIRC the version called MUTANT is more complete and has the humor intact.

Space truckiiin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8n2cPZgdxk

The score is so loving good and the fast food styrofoam walls are fuckin genius.

The Shout Factory release has the uncut Mutant edit in 4:3 plus the theatrical version.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OK, calling bullshit here. I was expecting Van Damme doing counter top splits with the Predator head. Bonus points if he has the original pink outfit. This website is slacking.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I really like Aliens, and I really like all of you guys. This thread is so great. I never expected so many people to love this movie as much as I do.

:glomp:

It was fun playing AvP 2010 with you all and me being a terribly fearful anxiety ridden fool, but gently caress.... I was drat good with the Smart Gun. We need to do that again with Fireteam, and probably AvP 2010 again.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I really like Aliens, and I really like all of you guys. This thread is so great. I never expected so many people to love this movie as much as I do.

:glomp:

It was fun playing AvP 2010 with you all and me being a terribly fearful anxiety ridden fool, but gently caress.... I was drat good with the Smart Gun. We need to do that again with Fireteam, and probably AvP 2010 again.

i call dibs on the predator that kickboxes

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Ok wait. The predator freaked me out. I like being an Alien. For the sole reason that I can scare the poo poo out of the Marines. :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Oddly that 2010 AvP game DOES have you being able to box with xenomorphs, Van Damme was right!!!!!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Android Apocalypse posted:

I quickly looked up The Predator on IMDB and while Shane Black is a writer, there's 3 more writers credited. I suspect they all had different ideas because that movie feels like several stories mashed together and the final result reflects that.

didn't he direct it? i am not going to look it up that movie was dogshit

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I liked The Predator. It was the guy who is in the last Wolverine movie. He's a great actor and I thought the motley crew in the last movie was great.

Fight me.

edit: I love Thomas Jane and Keegan Michael Key as well.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah Shane Black directed it. That means he should've had more control on the story & making sure things stayed cohesive, but whelp.

I also thought The Nice Guys was done after The Predator but I was wrong (2016 vs. 2018).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Predator is aiming for chaotic fun and hits the chaos part

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Neo Rasa posted:

Oddly that 2010 AvP game DOES have you being able to box with xenomorphs, Van Damme was right!!!!!

What a fool i was to doubt jcvd :negative:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The interactions with the motley crew & most of the dialogue is fun IMO. That said, I just wasn't feeling Boyd Holbrook's character & the whole "Yautja wanting autistic kids for their superior genes" felt incredibly hokey to the point of feeling almost insulting to autistic folks.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dirt5o8 posted:

So I just finished the short story book "Bug Hunt ". Skipped over a few chapters because the writing was pretty bad but overall it was a good book. The story from the alien's perspective was pretty goofy and fun.

It sounds like a one-off idea but is there anything else from the Alien's POV?

I quoted a couple of parts of the Alien Resurrection novel a couple of years back in the other thread. It is... not good.

MrMojok posted:

I'm sure my fellow Alien fans will recall the scene where Brad Dourif's character Dr. Gediman has his face plastered to the transparent window into one of the alien holding cells. An alien shoots its inner jaws at the plexiglass, right at his face. He gets pissed and douses it with liquid nitrogen, to teach it a lesson. Here, from the novelization, the thoughts of that drone:

alien drone posted:

The big warrior quivered in the small, strange place, his rage boundless.

That little, soft prey hurt me, burned me!

He whipped his tail in fury, as he watched the prey manipulate his devices, perform functions the warrior could only guess at. The warrior stared at the dangerous red pad in reach of the small being. He read the words “Fail-safe,” written beside it, and “Warning! Nitrogen jets!” He watched the small creature—the name “Gediman” printed on it—as it made words appear on a device it held.

Earlier, Wren, Gediman, and General Perez are looking at the queen, in her holding cell:

alien queen posted:

One of the humans was talking to the others. That’s all the humans seemed to do, stand and view her and talk with one another. She didn’t understand them, but then, she didn’t need to. She knew the colony had faced them before. There had been victories, there had been defeats. There would be victory again. She could wait. She was good at waiting, even if right now, she was bored to death.

The name on one of the observers’ garment read “Peréz.” The names on the other two read “Gediman,” and “Wren.” The sign over the mechanism that opened the door they had entered through read, YOU MUST SUMMON THE GUARD ON DUTY BEFORE THE DOOR WILL BE OPENED. It said the same thing in six other languages and she could read those languages. She didn’t question how she could do those things, any more than she questioned how she could breathe, or think, or eliminate. She just did them.

I think the idea here is that since the Queen came from Ripley, and has her DNA, it can read. But seems like this also means all queens who came from humans can read. And their offspring can too.

There are some other things that annoy me about this book. One of them is that the author like to use exclamation points to emphasize actions. It's just something that has always seemed amateurish to me.

quote:

In three quick moves he had the gun assembled and armed. Still moving with slow, easy motions, he aimed the gun at the ceiling…
And fired!

Perhaps I'm being too harsh on this novelization? I dunno.

MrMojok posted:

the alien drone Gediman punished posted:

He could see the color of its emotions, whether it was hot or cold, and whether it felt pain or fear. He could see it felt fear of the warrior—but not enough. Especially not now that it proved it could hurt the warrior. The “Gediman” radiated the color of pride, of accomplishment.

I will remember that color when I come for you.
And I will come for you.

The Gediman’s body would be building materials for the crèche. Once it was secured there, the warrior would decide if it would serve as food for the Queen, or if it was suitable to bear her young, or even if it would serve as food for the young. He could decide, even, if Gediman should bear young and also be its first meal.

And since you have hurt me and taken pleasure in it, I will decide to do with you whatever will keep you alive the longest.

The warrior would watch until the Gediman’s pride melted away, and with it every emotion it ever had, until there was nothing left but fear, an all-encompassing fear like the Gediman had never known.

The main characters (Ripley, and all the aliens) live with ghosts in their heads who quote lines from the previous films at them:

quote:

Ripley curled up tight within her shadow and stared into the darkness, trying not to let the young woman’s words touch her. She was tired, so very tired—But she didn’t dare sleep.

I don’t wanna sleep, a small, thin voice said in her head. I have scary dreams.

Who had said that? Ripley couldn’t remember, but the memory stabbed like a knife.

<snip>

Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility. Ripley could not recall who had said that to her or when, but she remembered it, nonetheless. It filled her with a crushing sadness.

<snip>

The warrior watched the changing emotions of the two humans who stood with their backs to him and his brothers. Another warrior stood at his side, while alone in the back of the cage sat the third—the smallest of the three. The second warrior paced nervously, but the first stood his ground, watching, waiting. He eyed the red button, now unnoticed by the humans.

The humans were upset, worried, nervous. Their colors were flaring, whatever was causing their concern still ongoing. There were strange sounds out there, voices, loud meaningless noise, flashing lights. It was interesting, but it wasn’t about to distract the warrior from his primary objective.

There had to be a way to turn the humans’ unexpected problem to their advantage.

A memory came to him. From the Mother.

I don’t know which species is worse… You don’t see them loving each other over…

It was not his memory, and he was not sure what all of it meant. But there was meaning there, something for him to learn. He considered…

Lastly, Vriess's first encounter with the aliens, while he's grabbing parts for the Betty:

quote:

Then, it was back, he could hear it—or could it be a different one? This one was more aggressive, not just scrabbling around the ceiling, but trying to get through it. Suddenly, it broke a comer of the tiling free and shoved its head through. And it was all head, a huge, elongated, nightmare head with no eyes, no ears, no hair, just skull and—

TEETH!
Gigantic, steel fangs, millions of them in a huge maw hissing right at him! Then its mouth opened wide, and something came out and—and—
THERE WERE MORE TEETH!

Vriess cracked finally and screamed hysterically. His finger squeezed the trigger. He fired, and fired, and fired.

The thing with teeth screamed back at him and exploded into a million fragments, all of them raining down on the berserk Vriess.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah Shane Black directed it. That means he should've had more control on the story & making sure things stayed cohesive, but whelp.
Oh man that is not how big budget franchise movies work nowadays, lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The interactions with the motley crew & most of the dialogue is fun IMO. That said, I just wasn't feeling Boyd Holbrook's character & the whole "Yautja wanting autistic kids for their superior genes" felt incredibly hokey to the point of feeling almost insulting to autistic folks.

Yeah that was a bit weird. And Olivia Munn saying that autism is the next stage of human evolution was.... ehhhh. It was a fine action movie though. I have very low standards for movies. I love them. Just all movies. It's a fun ride.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'd say it was beyond 'almost' insulting to autistic folks, especially considering one character outright uses an ableist slur. I get that the dialogue was meant to paint that character as a piece of garbage, but IDK if it was a smart choice to include in (what they wanted to be) a blockbuster action movie in 2018.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah that was a bit weird. And Olivia Munn saying that autism is the next stage of human evolution was.... ehhhh. It was a fine action movie though. I have very low standards for movies. I love them. Just all movies. It's a fun ride.

Mister Speaker posted:

I'd say it was beyond 'almost' insulting to autistic folks, especially considering one character outright uses an ableist slur. I get that the dialogue was meant to paint that character as a piece of garbage, but IDK if it was a smart choice to include in (what they wanted to be) a blockbuster action movie in 2018.

I really hated this aspect of the movie A LOT.

Predator - The Predators come to earth periodically to hunt badass/dangerous humans, US commandos are earth's new most badass/dangerous warriors

Predator 2 - Near future LA cops and the gangs they fight against are the new nost badass/dangerous warriors

Predators - An assortment of most badass/dangerous people from different walks of life

The Predator - Hollywood style "crazy people" are the new ultimate most badass/dangerous warriors along with autistic kids wait gently caress we wrote ourselves into a corner that means we'd have to have the Predator off multiple autistic kids uuhh they want to uh TAKE the most badass/dangerous warriors to merge their superior genes into their own but wait then there'd be no kills uh, they only do that if they're kids not adult crazy people uh, yeah the good guy Predator gave us this Predator-killing power armor to help us fight his own kind but he also murders and skins us just like any other Predator would.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 4, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

the whole "Yautja wanting autistic kids for their superior genes" felt incredibly hokey to the point of feeling almost insulting to autistic folks.
You're on SA. There's lots of autistics here. Myself included. Gonna say straight up-- that poo poo was offensive. And it's still only like the third-worst problem with that movie!

For real though everything about media that "others" autistics to the point where we might as well be a different species can go suck a gently caress-- Rain Man, Big Bang Theory, The Good Doctor, The Predator, Sia's awful Music movie-- we keep tabs on that poo poo.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Dont forget the accountant!!!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

MrMojok posted:

I quoted a couple of parts of the Alien Resurrection novel a couple of years back in the other thread. It is... not good.

Holy poo poo, that is all so bad. Xenos have eyes, generational species memory, and can read? Sure, gently caress it, throw it on the pile, let's get this thing to press!

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 4, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrMojok posted:

I've got a rejection slip from Games Workshop's Black Library. For better prose than that.

I can almost see a style coming through, but.... no.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Dont forget the accountant!!!

I really want to hate on The Accountant but it's script was made from the rejected ending of Good Will Hunting & it makes me :lmao: every time.

I like it, but it is definitely not a good movie. Also the autism angle… :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Holy poo poo, that is all so bad. Xenos have eyes, generational species memory, and can read? Sure, gently caress it, throw it on the pile, let's get this thing to press!

Well they do have eyes, just not in the conventional sense. Even before that book came out we had Alien POV shots in ‘Alien3’.