Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I only killed a horse in the final sword trials by panic bomb arrow usage and it was pretty horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Khanstant posted:

Pirate Ship dungeon was pretty cute. The boss was okay, I remember it being a decent boss fight when I did it in World of Warcraft too.

Volcano dungeon was HUGE, hell, thought I might be at least a 1/3rd done by the time I even got into the dungeon proper. Really annoyed they didn't make a boss for it though. They just made me fight the motion-controls tutorial guy again, wtf is that.

Fine, have us repeat that fight for some reason, but don't do it to replace an actual dungeon boss. Whacking a pervert from the left isn't a good or interesting boss encounter... then they send me off to an even worse fight repeat. Except this time the Imprisoned was legit irritating and Groose's cannon button only sometimes actually works, incredibly infuriating. Just a ton of little annoying things all come to head in this fight. The stupid loving stamina bar with stamina-plants placed at "gently caress you distances" apart. The annoying goddamn camera you need to dedicate two goddamn fingers to. The five years it takes to stand up and recover from a hit. The really long cut-scenes you can't skip in the middle of loving combat (but also time continues so if you like, pick up a bomb, it'll just explode in your hands while nintendo forces you to watch their stupidest character design of all time flop around a really stupid and ugly arena). Had to stop for a bit, might maybe just stop. How much more game is there? The irritation I felt in that imprisoned fight was not something I care to feel again, I reckon all I really have left is to beat the final dungeon... but if they're just going to make me fight the Imprisoned and tongue pervert again and not even have a final boss, gently caress it, I'll call it done here and look up a video of the final dungeon.

You have about a quarter of the game left, I would say. There is one more Imprisoned fight but it’s actually easier than the second one because you only have to chop off his toes once. The last stretch of the game is good, I thought, having just played it over the past few days. You still have to collect the parts of the Song of the Hero before you can access the final dungeon, which involves finding the dragons in each region. As somebody was saying earlier in the thread, the final dungeon through the end boss is a great sequence. The ending is actually very satisfying. Might be the weakest 3D Zelda game but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. I rather enjoyed myself, for the most part.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
First and second Silent Realms weren't as bad as I remembered. That said, I probably should have failed them a few times to stock up on Dusk Relics. Probably because back in '11, i think I generally gave up as soon as I triggered the alarm. This time I had situations where I was running around being tailed by four or five angry guardians that were unable to keep up and get a swing off.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

maltesh posted:

First and second Silent Realms weren't as bad as I remembered. That said, I probably should have failed them a few times to stock up on Dusk Relics. Probably because back in '11, i think I generally gave up as soon as I triggered the alarm. This time I had situations where I was running around being tailed by four or five angry guardians that were unable to keep up and get a swing off.

The first one was way easier than I remembered, the second has that section with all the roaming guards that can be annoying, but it's really only the third that's pretty bad, because if you miss one in an area going back to get it sucks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You have about a quarter of the game left, I would say. There is one more Imprisoned fight but it’s actually easier than the second one because you only have to chop off his toes once. The last stretch of the game is good, I thought, having just played it over the past few days. You still have to collect the parts of the Song of the Hero before you can access the final dungeon, which involves finding the dragons in each region. As somebody was saying earlier in the thread, the final dungeon through the end boss is a great sequence. The ending is actually very satisfying. Might be the weakest 3D Zelda game but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. I rather enjoyed myself, for the most part.

Yeah I was just irritated, played some HZD to reset and to remember what life was like when devs understood the right thumbstick is for camera controls first and foremost. I've talked some shi on the game, but I agree, it's not a bad game, it's adjacent to a really good game and you can too often see the great over the fence but the game ain't going there.

I keep imagining a Kojima Zelda, Death Stranding with Link. I think that Zelda would be incredible.

maltesh posted:

I've enjoyed all of these so far and I was wondering how you were meant to stock up on relics, I usually grabbed any I could see along the way but I beat em all first try. I think I wound up with more than enough. Only have a bag or two left to upgrade. Oh and my shield(but maybe not even, the only time I've seen need for a shield is deku scrubs you can just ignore or bomb) because I can't find plain bird feathers no matter how many fake birds I try to kill with scattershot.

I liked the "oh poo poo" moments, usually from the poes with lights in a section you're almost guaranteed to hit one through. I liked they took away your weapons and tools and the time-pressure was enough to keep a fire under your rear end but not screw you if you happened to miss one way back over yonder. The worst part was the cut-scenes of everyone waking up -- I get it, let me start running like crazy now, thx.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 1, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You absolutely need a sturdy shield to parry the attacks of a lot of bosses, especially the pure sword fights like the pirate robot, Ghirahim and the end boss. You can get an unbreakable shield from the Thunder Dragon for winning eight fights in a row in the Boss Rush.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I beat Skyward Sword yesterday and landed on "it's charming, but a mess"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Khanstant posted:

I keep imagining a Kojima Zelda, Death Stranding with Link. I think that Zelda would be incredible.

This is the worst idea I've ever heard.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There's no way that's actually the worst idea you've ever heard

(Also it sounds ok?)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I was just irritated, played some HZD to reset and to remember what life was like when devs understood the right thumbstick is for camera controls first and foremost. I've talked some shi on the game, but I agree, it's not a bad game, it's adjacent to a really good game and you can too often see the great over the fence but the game ain't going there.

I've enjoyed all of these so far and I was wondering how you were meant to stock up on relics, I usually grabbed any I could see along the way but I beat em all first try. I think I wound up with more than enough. Only have a bag or two left to upgrade. Oh and my shield(but maybe not even, the only time I've seen need for a shield is deku scrubs you can just ignore or bomb) because I can't find plain bird feathers no matter how many fake birds I try to kill with scattershot.

I liked the "oh poo poo" moments, usually from the poes with lights in a section you're almost guaranteed to hit one through. I liked they took away your weapons and tools and the time-pressure was enough to keep a fire under your rear end but not screw you if you happened to miss one way back over yonder. The worst part was the cut-scenes of everyone waking up -- I get it, let me start running like crazy now, thx.

You find plain bird feathers by catching birds with the net.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Calaveron posted:

You find plain bird feathers by catching birds with the net.

You get blue bird feathers for catching the blue ones with your net. Upgrade it as early as you can.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

holy poo poo this first boss in SS is exhausting.

all the videos I see show people with a shield so I guess I messed up there, but still. jesus christ I'm gonna wear out my joystick here

e: the joycons in motion were working better than my 8bitdo in BT, so I connected my Switch Pro directly to the dock's usb and beat him just fine.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 1, 2021

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Barreft posted:

all the videos I see show people with a shield so I guess I messed up there, but still. jesus christ I'm gonna wear out my joystick here

e: the joycons in motion were working better than my 8bitdo in BT, so I connected my Switch Pro directly to the dock's usb and beat him just fine.

I just finished that and yeah the shield helps. But I made the mistake in assuming left or right or up or down counted as different predictions. He seemed to just care about side swipe or vertical swipe etc.. as far as predicting your attack, I kept trying to fake him out from left to right and failing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's me, I'm the weirdo that loved Skyward Sword originally like 10 years ago and still love it today. It's definitely got problems with pacing and some segments that are just unnecessary (hauling the water basin up the mountain) but I just enjoy the rest of the game enough to not be all that bothered by it.

Lanayru is legit my favorite place in any Zelda game. Could spend hours in that gorgeous desert absorbing the beautifully melancholic music. Game still has some of the best dungeons in the series too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's me, I'm the weirdo that loved Skyward Sword originally like 10 years ago and still love it today. It's definitely got problems with pacing and some segments that are just unnecessary (hauling the water basin up the mountain) but I just enjoy the rest of the game enough to not be all that bothered by it.

Lanayru is legit my favorite place in any Zelda game. Could spend hours in that gorgeous desert absorbing the beautifully melancholic music. Game still has some of the best dungeons in the series too.

Oh I wasn't complaining about the game, I'm liking the design and everything a lot. I think I'm just old now and the little lag from using bluetooth to direct USB was causing my problem.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I like Impa.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Barreft posted:

Yeah, someone literally tells you to buy a shield before you leave for Faron. As for Ghirahim, apparently with button controls you have to hold the stick to the right (for example) and then do a quick little tap to the right so you swing your sword in that direction. The fight is supposed to teach you that you can hold your sword out to one side and then swipe in that same direction. I used motion controls the whole time which makes moves like that super easy.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

x-post

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Amppelix posted:

There's no way that's actually the worst idea you've ever heard

(Also it sounds ok?)
"Death Stranding with Link" sounds rad.

In BotW2 let Link build ziplines, deploy ladders to climb up wet terrain, and pave roads to rebuild supply lines and make Hyrule whole again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anytime I ain't in control of link is the worst part of any Zelda. Dealing with hours of that would be torture

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Kojima Zelda would feature an entire prequel series with ganon as the protagonist and a giant ladder boss

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've reconsidered my opinion

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

nachos posted:

Kojima Zelda would feature an entire prequel series with ganon as the protagonist and a giant ladder boss

Where do I send my money :homebrew:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Who would be the baby in this game.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

Midway through the game, a message pops up: "Turn off your monitor".

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gaius Marius posted:

Anytime I ain't in control of link is the worst part of any Zelda. Dealing with hours of that would be torture

That doesn’t include Hyrule Warriors, right?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

bobjr posted:

tingle

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That doesn’t include Hyrule Warriors, right?

weeeeelllll, the fact that I leveled Link to 255 before I had more than one or two other warriors above 100 might indicate otherwise.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I found the part of the game that translates worst to non-motion controls. Pretty stunning to realize that I Link has the artistic ability of a three-year-old with Parkinson's

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
At least you get a chance to redo it with the cistern sigil.

Goddess Walls are one and done. Wanted rupees instead of bombs? Too bad, should have been better at piloting the thumbstick.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I never even got the goddess walls right with the wiimote, and by god I tried.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I finished SSHD, the first time I've played the game in a decade. It holds up for the most part, but boy does it wear out its welcome in the final third. I was originally planning to get all the gratitude crystals at least but dealing with the last three major tasks burned me out and I went straight for the final dungeon and boss.

I do like what they did with bokoblins in Skyward Sword, though. Playing it, of course, inspired me to play BotW for the fifth or sixth time (not sure which) and having run into my first bokoblin of that game and thinking back to SS I'm left wondering why exactly they invented an entirely new -blin for Twilight Princess. I actually thought the bulblins were bokoblins for the longest time until I read their official names online. My only guess in hindsight is that Nintendo's got a firm policy that Bokoblins and Moblins only serve Ganon/Demise, and they needed something else to work for Zant, maybe to throw people off the scent of the big twist.

I was going to cap this off by saying that bulblins don't even show up in any other Zelda games but apparently they're in Spirit Tracks. I totally forgot about that. They're still a weird addition.

Also, having played SSHD on button only mode the entire way through, I'm now automatically holding R to move the camera in BotW and instinctively going for the right stick instead of pressing Y to attack. God drat it, muscle memory.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I'm about to play this finally. I'm planning on playing with the joy-cons exclusively, and I'm thinking about how the Super Mario Galaxy port played with the motion controls. I know SS uses the motion controls much more than that game, but I got used to resetting the cursor, so is it a similar experience all things considered?

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Skyward's Sword's not nearly as bad as all the vitriol it gets, but I also have no idea what anyone was thinking giving the original or HD version anything at or above an 8/10 review. It's enjoyable but christ is it flawed, and it's very clear that the well of ideas for the OoT model of 3D Zeldas had almost completely run dry at that point. I'm gonna bet that's half the reason why as soon as development wrapped on SS, their immediate thought was "right, let's do something completely bloody different"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have a feeling that IGN and all the others were burned by the 8.8 Twilight Princess controversy so they overcorrected with Skyward Sword, which lead to all of those "A challenger to Ocarina's throne" stuff.

That, and as Jeff of the Youtube channel Mother's Basement noted, Zelda games are the kind of games that the Press finds very easy to review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtVAulUu8JY

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There is nothing wrong with playing and enjoying an 8/10 game

Sounds like all the media shitheads saying such and such athlete had to SETTLE for a silver medal at the goddamn olympics

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

8/10 is a drat good score and perfectly fitting for Twilight Princess. Hell most Zelda games are firmly 8/10.

Skyward Sword is more like a 6-7, which again is a fine score.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I thought 6/10 was usually reserved for "playing the game induced projectile vomiting and caused my eyes to bleed"-tier games :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

superjew posted:

I'm about to play this finally. I'm planning on playing with the joy-cons exclusively, and I'm thinking about how the Super Mario Galaxy port played with the motion controls. I know SS uses the motion controls much more than that game, but I got used to resetting the cursor, so is it a similar experience all things considered?

Pretty much, yes. Nintendo's managed to achieve solid parity with the Wiimotes using JoyCons and a button to recenter the cursor.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I thought 6/10 was usually reserved for "playing the game induced projectile vomiting and caused my eyes to bleed"-tier games :confused:

6/10 is a "You may like it, most probably won't" score. 5 or below is "Oh god this sucks so bad we can't sugarcoat this trash heap".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

superjew posted:

Having never played the Wii version, I do get some of the hate where the game seems to drag in the first part before the first dungeon and the latter third with the third revisit to areas. I can imagine this being much worse when Fi was an incessant nuisance.

However, there were only two instances in which I didn't use the motion controls:
Jumping from the islands you hookshot to to the top of the windmill
The one other time i had to do a jump and go forward immediately

For some reason no matter how I centered beforehand, link just would NOT dive forward at a good enough speed to make the jumps as intended. All other times I used the motion controls and eventually felt really badass on the boss rush and got the Hylian shield really easily.