Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Neku in the first game was kind of weird in that he goes from "I'm going to murder my partner' to "this person is the most important thing in my life" in like 2-3 days

Pacing a bit too breakneck but eh :v:v

Game says no

In fairness, that was basically Kitaniji pulling a Wizard of Oz and keeping the curtain pulled because he had no way to reincarnate Shiki at that point.

Also he’s a hormonal 15 year old anyways, that is completely plausible :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Continuing this topicYeah it's kind of shocking how easily Shiba was let off, considering all the lovely stuff he did. Like he deserved erasure way more then Susukichi did.

Everybody’s too tired to go after him, he was under the influence of actual literal angel dust and Josh is still running around having a good time despite pretty much getting the player and reaper count of Shibuya wiped.

He’s going back to try making amends and unfucking his mistake, it just doesn’t help anybody to pursue him further at that point.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I heard criticism of NEO say that the plot felt, quote, "Fanfic-y". Do any of you agree with that, or have anything to say on that front?

I don't 100% agree with that, but I can see the angle they're coming from.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 4, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Junpei posted:

I heard criticism of NEO say that the plot felt, quote, "Fanfic-y". Do any of you agree with that, or have anything to say on that front?

I can see some of what they're getting at, even early on.

Motoi revealing himself as An0ther to Rindo feels very much like a retread of Neku finding out Hanekoma was CAT in the last game. The protagonist finds out his idol is part of the Game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

It’s probably been mentioned before but neat little detail: RG Shiki is one of the shop owners in this game (I forget which store though).

I don't think this is true.

BisbyWorl posted:

I can see some of what they're getting at, even early on.

Motoi revealing himself as An0ther to Rindo feels very much like a retread of Neku finding out Hanekoma was CAT in the last game. The protagonist finds out his idol is part of the Game.

Maybe on the surface but it plays out way differently.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Junpei posted:

It kind of does but mostly it's its own thing. There's a LOT of Neku hero worship early on where all the characters absolutely cannot shut up about how cool it would be to meet him and gosh we want him on our team he's sooo cool- but they kinda shut up about it randomly.

There's a few retreads here and there as well but they have their own spin on things so it's mostly alright. Once it comes into it's own though it's a good story.

Spoiler for the endgame but I wasn't really that big a fan of the TWEWY cast showing up and being like... super important. Shiki got her face reveal and was fine but Rhyme being a super hacker that can connect to dead people twitter was groan worthy. I get that she's supposed to be the brains of the siblings but it had me rolling my eyes.

Thinking on it, one of the funniest moments in the entire game was during the ending and I'd like to appreciate it. Josh showing up and telling you with his chest held out. "Yeah, if you had failed I was prepared to get involved and I would of saved Shibuya easy." when we saw firsthand he didn't both times is genuinely hilarious. Joshua will never not be a total shitlord.

Larryb posted:

It’s probably been mentioned before but neat little detail: RG Shiki is one of the shop owners in this game (I forget which store though).

She 100% isn't.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shiki isn’t a shopkeeper but Gatto Nero is her brand

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, I thought someone earlier mentioned that she was, my mistake

And to be fair on one point, Rhyme was at least foreshadowed pretty early on at any rate (her being able to literally communicate with the dead is a bit of a stretch I’ll admit though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 4, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Random question about a later party member. which one is Shoka's 'happy' face in the restaurants? I assume it's the one where she puts her hands on her cheeks and smiles but I've yet to get a tasty bonus from her. It's so subdued compared to everybody else's. Which is in-line for her character but it creates some uncertainty.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is there any food that increases your base drop rate in the postgame, or is it only a rare roll from tasty food?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The latter from what I've heard. There's a fairly early game social link that increases how much extra drop rate you get from lowering your level, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one more (I may have even seen one).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ChrisBTY posted:

Random question about a later party member. which one is Shoka's 'happy' face in the restaurants? I assume it's the one where she puts her hands on her cheeks and smiles but I've yet to get a tasty bonus from her. It's so subdued compared to everybody else's. Which is in-line for her character but it creates some uncertainty.

It's the hands-on-cheeks pose, I just got +2 drop rate from it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems I missed a sidequest, who gives the second wallet upgrade on W3D2 and where are they?

Also hey Neku, took you long enough to show up considering you’ve been in the UG for the last 3 years

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Larryb posted:

Seems I missed a sidequest, who gives the second wallet upgrade on W3D2 and where are they?

Sidequest for that is at O-East, near the middle of the area. It's a pretty simple Remind for Eiji Oji, Eira and Eira's manager.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm right at the beginning of week 3 here and are they seriously teasing a Shoka/Rindo romance because I do not see it AT ALL.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

As a heads up you can get a tasty bonus from just content images. Some characters have 4 reactions and some have 3

I know I've gotten tasty bonus on Shoka when she was just using a napkin to wipe her mouth.

I think it's just you have a greater chance of a bonus if it's them popping off.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does Minamimoto only have three food reaction faces or is he just the fussiest eater alive?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

YggiDee posted:

Does Minamimoto only have three food reaction faces or is he just the fussiest eater alive?

afaik everybody only has three. good, neutral, and bad.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

TheKingofSprings posted:

Everybody’s too tired to go after him, he was under the influence of actual literal angel dust and Josh is still running around having a good time despite pretty much getting the player and reaper count of Shibuya wiped.

He’s going back to try making amends and unfucking his mistake, it just doesn’t help anybody to pursue him further at that point.

Just beat the game myself: Bit unsatisfying that everyone who got erased stays that way... And nobody seems to mention them in the end? Like, I guess Fret is over his concern for Kanon by the time we get to the end of the game, or what? Seems a bit odd that everyone is okay with this... maybe this is answered in the Secret Reports?

Anyway, fun game and I will definitely be grinding out the Secret Reports and potentially a full 100% (depends how insane that would be to do)...

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

As a heads up you can get a tasty bonus from just content images. Some characters have 4 reactions and some have 3

There are 4 reactions? I've only seen three when presenting characters with food: "love", "ok" and "hate".

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh my God, I've thought everyone had two 'I don't like this' faces, it's just Minamimoto throwing off the curve the whole time.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

They have 4 food faces if you also count the one for when you haven't picked yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Could of sworn (party member spoilers) Beat and Fret have 4, might be wrong though.

Also found the darklit planet pins of this game. It's the Mr. Mew set- all 6 just break the game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Could of sworn (party member spoilers) Beat and Fret have 4, might be wrong though.

Also found the darklit planet pins of this game. It's the Mr. Mew set- all 6 just break the game

Where can one get this aforementioned pin set then?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Larryb posted:

Where can one get this aforementioned pin set then?

Apparently 4 are post-game boss drops, 1 is purchasable, 1 is tradeable

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

First one seems pretty drat expensive. Do any of said pins also heal you? Because Topo the Ingenious and Heartthrob Launcher have served me pretty well so far.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
By the time you'd be collecting the set, 960k yen is pretty cheap. Even among that list, the trade one you can buy the materials for if you really want and that's 3.4 million yen if you go that route.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Neutral reactions can also get tasty bonuses, however the gained bonus is smaller than from a loved food. Disliked foods will never give tasty bonuses.

thehoodie posted:

Just beat the game myself: Bit unsatisfying that everyone who got erased stays that way... And nobody seems to mention them in the end? Like, I guess Fret is over his concern for Kanon by the time we get to the end of the game, or what? Seems a bit odd that everyone is okay with this... maybe this is answered in the Secret Reports?

Anyway, fun game and I will definitely be grinding out the Secret Reports and potentially a full 100% (depends how insane that would be to do)...

Not like they could do anything about it. And in the first game, most of the erased players and reapers stayed that way. There were only 2 survivors of an erasing. Rhyme, and that was after several shenanigans to keep her in existence. Doing so didn't come without a cost either, as Rhyme lost her entry fee, her hopes and dreams. Though nothing was stopping those from regrowing. And Minamoto, who got erased twice also went under taboo shenanigans to be brought back both times. Though Coco resurrecting Minamoto slightly went wrong (or she deliberately botched it in order to keep him on a leash) and his soul ended up changing slightly as a result.

The secret reports also do explain some minor questions players might've had during the story. I was expecting another team to join in after week 1, but I wondered why that didn't happen. Then I shortly forgot about it until a secret report brought up the reason. Shinjuku's Games, which carried over to Shiba's rules, essentially put on a barrier to entry to the game. The Wicked Twisters were essentially powerful enough to raise the bar so high, that only a team of Nekus could really get into the game from then on out. Which was not happening.

Lotus Aura posted:

By the time you'd be collecting the set, 960k yen is pretty cheap. Even among that list, the trade one you can buy the materials for if you really want and that's 3.4 million yen if you go that route.

Yeah if you're doing Ultimate cleanup, you get a lot of money dumped on you. Quite a few enemies have 10k yen pins in that slot, and other enemies have valuable pins in there.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Any word on an official release of the soundtrack yet?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Best voice line in the game.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I'm suddenly getting some extremely long load times we've going into battle (30+ seconds) and longer than previously loads when going between areas and battle rounds.

I tried restarting the game and then my PS5 completely and it's still happening. Anyone have suggestions for how to unfuck my game?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Draga posted:

Nagi's weird noises are one of the best bits of the game for me.

My favorite is Beat's "I feel dat" to Fret saying he feels like they're basically the same person.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Draga posted:

Cool, so I'm not the only one who immediately paused and went back into the log so I could hear it again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, not counting the returning characters has any of the primary cast of this game had any major roles in other projects (be they games or otherwise) before this or are they all relative newbies (either way they all do a pretty good job in my opinion)?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, not counting the returning characters has any of the primary cast of this game had any major roles in other projects (be they games or otherwise) before this or are they all relative newbies (either way they all do a pretty good job in my opinion)?

Kubo is the announcer from Smash Bros. He's done since other stuff too.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Kubo is Xander Mobus, best known as the Smash announcer,and Joker from Persona 5.

Fret is Griffin Burns, who I know best as the main character in the Fate/Grand Order anime adaptations as well as the MC of Devilman Crybaby

Kanon is Xanthe Huynh, A.K.A. Haru from Persona 5.

Those 3 have done plenty of other roles, those are just the one I'm most familier with.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
That review the chat log feature is so awesome. Wish more games would implement something similar.

Though in TWEWY it’s easier as you’re not making dialog choices for the most part.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Draga posted:

Kubo is Xander Mobus, best known as the Smash announcer,and Joker from Persona 5.

He was also Christo in Disgaea 5. Another character hiding the fact that he's an angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though Kubo is very different from pretty much all of those characters.