Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Aside from covid I'm also just really reluctant to fly anytime soon just because I really don't wanna be trapped in the air if some rear end in a top hat has a meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

If I were you?

...how long of a drive are we talking?

It would be an 18 hour drive vs a 3 hour flight.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

remigious posted:

Oof, gotcha.

I mean I guess it would depend on how comfortable you've felt out and about in public lately. I am a shut-in with crippling anxiety these days and you couldn't pay me enough to go near an airport right now. But countless people manage to do it every day right now without issue.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for ya. Good luck.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

I love when karmic justice happens.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Oof, gotcha.

I mean I guess it would depend on how comfortable you've felt out and about in public lately. I am a shut-in with crippling anxiety these days and you couldn't pay me enough to go near an airport right now. But countless people manage to do it every day right now without issue.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for ya. Good luck.

Yeah I am a shut-in with anxiety too :( It’s a tough call. Appreciate your thoughts!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

My brother-in-law (who is a 26 year old man btw) posted on Facebook (lol) that the vaccine was created by Bill Gates to reduce the population of the world by making people infertile.

Let’s just accept for a minute that Gates is willing to go to extreme lengths to reduce the world’s population, wouldn’t the infinitely easier way be to just not spend billions of dollars to develop an infertility drug and just let a poo poo ton of people die from COVID?

Also starting the vaccine with old people and taking months to get down to people of child bearing age seems counterproductive to the goal.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is that 3 hours including early preairport stuff and getting a rental car, and does the 18 hrs include stops for lunch, dinner, bathroom etc?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

Let’s just accept for a minute that Gates is willing to go to extreme lengths to reduce the world’s population, wouldn’t the infinitely easier way be to just not spend billions of dollars to develop an infertility drug and just let a poo poo ton of people die from COVID?

Also starting the vaccine with old people and taking months to get down to people of child bearing age seems counterproductive to the goal.

Also covid already causes ED. Seems like a bunch better way to control population than the vaccine.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dren posted:

But what do masks matter when kids are going to go maskless to eat in a cafeteria? Delta is airborne and transmits in seconds. Even if they had the space to distance in a cafeteria it wouldn't matter much. This is an intractable problem, kids need to eat lunch.

I work in dining and no one, at any level, has an answer to this. Takeout is the only safe option for the workers and then the students need somewhere to go eat alone, which in most cases they simply won't have.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

remigious posted:

I don’t have an answer for you, in part because who knows what the hell things will look like by Labor Day, but factor in that the drive would have to include a hotel stay. Unless you’re superhuman.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Kids divided into cliques pods and eating in classrooms together. My highschool didn't have a cafeteria and that's how we did it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Scarodactyl posted:

Kids divided into cliques pods and eating in classrooms together. My highschool didn't have a cafeteria and that's how we did it.

This is a better public health posture than cafeteria eating because it helps limit outbreaks to the pod.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

remigious posted:

I know this is gbs, but I’m feeling overwhelmed by conflicting information and I know goons will give me the straight poop. I’m flying with my 7 month old next month and I’m feeling very nervous about the flight. I can’t really protect him. Should I cancel the flight and drive instead, or am I being paranoid?

I'm in a bit of a different situation, since I only have a 2 month old, but there is no way I'd be letting him on a plan any time soon. Next month we'll probably be nearing the peak in our current wave nationwide, so I really wouldn't risk it unless you have no other options.

How long of a drive is it? How necessary is the trip? Does the baby need to come or is there an alternative where he can stay home?

Edit: I see the drive is 18 hours. I guess the later two questions still apply. If you flat out cannot avoid the trip, two 9 hour trips with a hotel stay isn't all that much better. 18 hours drive is rough and would probably involve stopping frequently for diaper changes and such so it's gonna be more than that.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 4, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

remigious posted:

unless it's for a medical procedure or something else serious, i would just postpone the trip until cases calm down

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I'm scheduled to fly down to Tampa for work in October....

gently caress.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Inept posted:

unless it's for a medical procedure or something else serious, i would just postpone the trip until cases calm down

:same:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Inept posted:

I know intellectually that this is the right call, I just haven’t seen my mom for two years and she’s never met the baby. I am worried that she would be crushed if we canceled :( I just went through a huge ordeal convincing her to get the vaccine too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

gently caress.

RIP

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fishing with the fam posted:

gently caress.

I’m sure Covid will be over by then! :buddy:

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

remigious posted:

I just went through a huge ordeal convincing her to get the vaccine too.

If she would like her infant grandchild to get on a plane at that particular moment in addition to the above quoted....yikes.

Everyone's situation is different and I love my mom very much but I wouldn't even consider it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wilderthanmild posted:

Edit: I see the drive is 18 hours. I guess the later two questions still apply. If you flat out cannot avoid the trip, two 9 hour trips with a hotel stay isn't all that much better. 18 hours drive is rough and would probably involve stopping frequently for diaper changes and such so it's gonna be more than that.

I'm not sure if you mean what I think you mean, but it reads like you think a hotel stay would be equally as unsafe as a 3-hour flight?

As a non-American, I assume there still exist those cheapo motels along the interstates, with separate entrances which we see in movies and TV?
As long as you're not sharing hallways, elevators, dining rooms etc with strangers, it's not really very risky to rent a room somewhere. The risk of catching Covid from a maid who cleaned your room earlier in the day is basically 0.
So, just avoid the breakfast buffet...

(Of course maybe taking 2 days to drive there and 2 days back again is just infeasible? In that case I'd postpone.)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure if you mean what I think you mean, but it reads like you think a hotel stay would be equally as unsafe as a 3-hour flight?

As a non-American, I assume there still exist those cheapo motels along the interstates, with separate entrances which we see in movies and TV?
As long as you're not sharing hallways, elevators, dining rooms etc with strangers, it's not really very risky to rent a room somewhere. The risk of catching Covid from a maid who cleaned your room earlier in the day is basically 0.
So, just avoid the breakfast buffet...

(Of course maybe taking 2 days to drive there and 2 days back again is just infeasible? In that case I'd postpone.)

I'm not saying it's exactly as unsafe, but not automatically a safe option and may even be just as unsafe in some cases.

One problem is that my understanding is that a lot of hotels circulate air across rooms from one central system, often trying to recirculate air rather than pull in air from outside to save costs on AC and heating. That's the risk, centralized HVAC systems that aren't properly scrubbing the air. It's one of the reasons that even the locked down quarantine cruise ships kept getting cases in situations where people had no exposures to others. Maybe I'm wrong and that's not as common as I think?

Edit: Like if I had to go, I'd pick driving. But it's not as rock solid safe as an option as some people might think. Also 10-12 hours a day in a car(considering stops) with a child sounds like hell.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 4, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Most cheapo hotels have a windowmounted ac unit

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Even decent hotels have what are essentially mini splits.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
There would be a few other advantages to driving too, like being able to take all of our stuff and get around town on our trip. And I have pto to burn so the time isn’t an issue. But we would definitely be stopping frequently to change baby/let him play a bit. Definitely a lot to think about!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

remigious posted:

There would be a few other advantages to driving too, like being able to take all of our stuff and get around town on our trip. And I have pto to burn so the time isn’t an issue. But we would definitely be stopping frequently to change baby/let him play a bit. Definitely a lot to think about!

Why can't you ask mom to travel out to you, since she is vaccinated and all?
It's still not best practice but at least it is less risky.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cross post from other thread

https://streamable.com/v49jwh

Very worth the listen

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Masks starting to come back locally. We're never going to have a statewide mandate again, but a lot of local chains and businesses are starting to require them again for both vaccinated and unvaccinated.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

John_A_Tallon posted:

Why can't you ask mom to travel out to you, since she is vaccinated and all?
It's still not best practice but at least it is less risky.

My mom is very ill. Alcoholism so bad she can hardly walk. That’s a whole incredibly sad can of worms.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Very worth the listen

Boy I sure hope he lives in a one-party consent state

edit: lol

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 4, 2021

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Very worth the listen

Bet you $20 he supports "right to work" policies.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

Also 10-12 hours a day in a car(considering stops) with a child sounds like hell.

So does 3 hours on a flight with someone else's 7 month old if they're the type to freak out about flying/ears popping or like most at that age unable to be still for 3 hours. Drive.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

remigious posted:

I know intellectually that this is the right call, I just haven’t seen my mom for two years and she’s never met the baby. I am worried that she would be crushed if we canceled :( I just went through a huge ordeal convincing her to get the vaccine too.

My mom wants me to come down for the Holidays (thanksgiving or Xmas) .. to Florida. Mine would only be a 11 hour drive, and I've done it before. But, it's Florida. She's vaccinated and extremely cautious. She hardly visits my sister's fam and they're only like an hour away. BIL is fully vaccinated, but Sis was hospitalized from one shot of .. Pfizer? I think. I don't know if she's getting the other shot. Plus, they have friends over and stuff.

So, if I went down, ma and I would definitely have to make a trip to their house. I haven't seen any of them since 2019. My mom would totally not push the issue. Got a few months to figure it out, but as the 8-ball says : 'Don't Count On It'

Oh, and my mom is a headstart teacher, so Pre-k. And my sister is a principal at an elementary school :/

Florida. yeesh.

E- So, I feel you. Just be safe as possible, whatever you choose.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 5, 2021

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Also:

https://www.theroot.com/michael-jai-white-confirms-his-eldest-son-died-due-to-c-1847420045

:(

Michael Jai White Confirms His Eldest Son Died Due to COVID-19 at 38
In a recent interview with VLAD TV, the actor said his son—who was a father of six—died a few months ago after a lengthy stay at the hospital.

I thought this was the Eurkel guy, and couldn't believe he had a 38 year old son.

Jaleel White. It's kind of close.

But, still that sucks :(

But hey, have a video of Eurkel getting the vaccine :

https://news.amomama.com/256757-jaleel-white-shows-himself-getting-covid.html
the url is very misleading

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 5, 2021

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

blight rhino posted:

I thought this was the Eurkel guy, and couldn't believe he had a 38 year old son.

This just triggered a memory of being a comic book nerd in the late 90s learning there was going to be a Spawn movie starring Michael Jai White, making the same mistake and trying to picture how that would work.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

pseudodragon posted:

This just triggered a memory of being a comic book nerd in the late 90s learning there was going to be a Spawn movie starring Michael Jai White, making the same mistake and trying to picture how that would work.

lol
that'd of been something, for sure.

"DID I DO THAT"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Got any cheeeeese?"

"NO!!!"

"Wow, this really is hell."

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Very worth the listen

*narrator's voice*

Chris is sick, and he did die, uncomfortably and alone, sixteen days after this recording. His last words were "caaaaaa ah whe *gurgle* mmmmm vvvvvvaxin aaaaate me??"

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

zer0spunk posted:

eh so do i, it's summer.

i got vaccinated in april and i test often for work.

so what i'm saying is def jump to conclusions and point at them shouting "COVID!!!!"

welp in this edition of posts i made that didn't age well, currently showing symptoms. last test was negative on friday, scheduled another pcr this friday.

just the usual pressure headache (same one after my shot) and a low grade fever, nothing else yet. assuming i'm positive i'd probably be hosed if not for being vaccinated so get those shots nerds!

rip

e: j/j shot on 4/5 for anyone curious..also just acting like i'm positive anyway and isolating just in case so i don't kill anybody

oh and bonus fun, my mom lives in israel and is now being hesitant about the third shot they have scheduled. she was a giant baby about the first 2 in jan, so not surprised but like, what? you already had two of these, come the gently caress on. she claims she's waiting for FDA approval here for the boosters...so yeah, lets wait a month, great idea

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

blight rhino posted:

But hey, have a video of Eurkel getting the vaccine :

https://news.amomama.com/256757-jaleel-white-shows-himself-getting-covid.html
the url is very misleading

wth is an "Eurkel"?