Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Shiroc posted:

Woodstock '69 postures when it was really the deathknell of hippie love culture, with Altamont stomping it out a couple months later.

"Did you ever dream about a place you never really recall being to before? A place that maybe only exists in your imagination? Some place far away, half remembered when you wake up. When you were there, though, you knew the language. You knew your way around. *That* was the sixties.

No. It wasn't that either. It was just '66 and early '67. That's all there was."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bored Brandon is Boom Box Bryan, prove me wrong

Also Nerdy Nathan is dummy nerdy thicc

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

a bunch of sexual assaults and a literal poo poo fight=“doing fine”

I don't remember there being an epidemic of sexual assaults or a poo poo fight reported at Woodstock '94 (those things def happened at '99). Not that it didn't have some big problems, but by most accounts I've read it was probably the smoothest of the 3 Woodstocks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

empty baggie posted:

I don't remember there being an epidemic of sexual assaults or a poo poo fight reported at Woodstock '94 (those things def happened at '99). Not that it didn't have some big problems, but by most accounts I've read it was probably the smoothest of the 3 Woodstocks.

1) I didn't say "an epidemic", I said "a bunch" and also one sexual assault at a music festival is too many

2) multiple artists have talked about the poo poo-contaminated mud/resulting mud fight that happened at '94 including Green Day (if you watch footage there's poo poo flinging literally happening during their set and Billy comments on it between songs at one point, smelling a bunch of it and saying "it's ca-ca") and NIN. There's a NIN interview where various members talk about being hit with sewage-smelling mud that "had piss and poo poo in it". People tipped a bunch of port-o-potties into the mosh area and then chucked that resulting sludge at each other and at the stage

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

1) I didn't say "an epidemic", I said "a bunch" and also one sexual assault at a music festival is too many

2) multiple artists have talked about the poo poo-contaminated mud/resulting mud fight that happened at '94 including Green Day (if you watch footage there's poo poo flinging literally happening during their set and Billy comments on it between songs at one point, smelling a bunch of it and saying "it's ca-ca") and NIN. There's a NIN interview where various members talk about being hit with sewage-smelling mud that "had piss and poo poo in it". People tipped a bunch of port-o-potties into the mosh area and then chucked that resulting sludge at each other and at the stage

I just watched the documentary about 99 that was talked about above. I do think you are confusing 94 and 99 somewhat. 94 is only covered in passing early in it. NiN did play 94 though offspring didnt. And when they talk about the mud as regards to 94 the talking heads seem to consistently just call it mud. Not so as regards the 99 show.

The organizers did not come across as well in that doc as i think they assumed they would.

remusclaw has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Aug 4, 2021

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Good thing I’ve loaded up on image dumps. Though “arguing about Woodstock 69 vs. 94 vs. 99” is kinda ‘90s.

CAN YOU HEAR THE SONG???

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Those ALF cards are from the ‘80s though, aren’t they? I had a few packs of those, and some bouillabaseball cards (I might have had a Gordon Shumway rookie card but I forget and don’t really care)

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
They may be a decade off, but

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Plz don't dox me.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

remusclaw posted:

I just watched the documentary about 99 that was talked about above. I do think you are confusing 94 and 99 womewhat. 94 is only covered in passing early in it. NiN did play 94 though offspring didnt. And when they talk about the mud as regards to 94 the talking heads seem to consistently just call it mud. Not so as regards the 99 show.

The organizers did not come across as well in that doc as i think they assumed they would.

It looks like there was a problem with overflowing toilets at '94, but I haven't seen anything about sexual assault occurring. It wouldn't surprise me if something did occur, considering there were 500,000 people at show that only sold <200,000 tickets and the security was pretty non-existent (not as bad as '99 tho), but I have yet to find any mention of it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Busket Posket posted:

They may be a decade off, but

hell yeeeeeh

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Apparently Youtube has had "Beavis and Butthead Do America" available to watch for free since June, and that's an incredibly 90s thing in so many ways; it's absolutely an artifact of its time.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I feel like Beavis and Butthead is kind of the most edgy show ever made, even if Family Guy and poo poo are more overtly transgressive with rape jokes and poo poo.

Like Family Guy can't help but soapbox. South Park of course became a soap box quite quickly. But there's really no moral or moralizing to Beavis and Butthead besides, at best, a general condemnation that society is broken; but no causes or solutions are suggested.
It's just two ugly and stupid idiots unleashed in an ugly and stupid world, doing ugly and stupid things and seldom if ever facing meaningful consequences for it. It's pure nihilism in a way that really nothing in the world of animation I can think of before or since has been.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

When Beavis and Butthead do America came out, it opened at midnight at one little two screen theater in my hometown, and the place was packed with stoner type kids from 3 local high schools that night. It was a beautiful experience. They closed and tore the theater down about a year later.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

empty baggie posted:

When Beavis and Butthead do America came out, it opened at midnight at one little two screen theater in my hometown, and the place was packed with stoner type kids from 3 local high schools that night. It was a beautiful experience. They closed and tore the theater down about a year later.

And we had a great time!

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Meaty Ore posted:

Apparently Youtube has had "Beavis and Butthead Do America" available to watch for free since June, and that's an incredibly 90s thing in so many ways; it's absolutely an artifact of its time.

My 3-disc changer (ooh, aah, bourgeois) always had the soundtrack in it. If CDs wore out, Rollercoaster of Love would have just been a hole burned through the disc.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Busket Posket posted:

My 3-disc changer (ooh, aah, bourgeois) always had the soundtrack in it. If CDs wore out, Rollercoaster of Love would have just been a hole burned through the disc.

I hate myself and I want to die for me. There are two versions of that song that I’ve heard, and the BBdA version is the better of the two.

Poetry and prose and 99 ways to die are also great songs from that soundtrack.

E: I just realized those songs are from the beavis and butthead experience, not the movie soundtrack.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Love Rollercoaster is up there with my other favorite RHCP cover, Search and Destroy.

Yeah yeah, Fire and Higher Ground were good too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

remusclaw posted:

I just watched the documentary about 99 that was talked about above. I do think you are confusing 94 and 99 somewhat. 94 is only covered in passing early in it. NiN did play 94 though offspring didnt. And when they talk about the mud as regards to 94 the talking heads seem to consistently just call it mud. Not so as regards the 99 show.

The only thing he's right about is Fred Durst is an idiot. I don't think he was just acting the rear end in a top hat, i think that he really was this lovely guy that was just loving pissed off all the time because he was just dumb an angry. Like i've never seen him not a huge piece of poo poo. Even loving Corey Taylor turns off time to time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The only thing he's right about is Fred Durst is an idiot. I don't think he was just acting the rear end in a top hat, i think that he really was this lovely guy that was just loving pissed off all the time because he was just dumb an angry. Like i've never seen him not a huge piece of poo poo. Even loving Corey Taylor turns off time to time.

Even when Corey is being "chill" he's doing poo poo like participating in The Nostalgia Critic's The Wall debacle, and letting his kid do it too so

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

lis about

When he directed his first movie a few years ago he wrote in a scene where everything stops for 5 mins and one of the leads just talks about how much he loves Limp Bizkit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ok Comboomer posted:

Even when Corey is being "chill" he's doing poo poo like participating in The Nostalgia Critic's The Wall debacle, and letting his kid do it too so

Yea, that poo poo is funny as hell. At least he's not being a loving asshat.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When he directed his first movie a few years ago he wrote in a scene where everything stops for 5 mins and one of the leads just talks about how much he loves Limp Bizkit.

Is that Fred Durst? Wait wasn't that that one with Travolta, crap, the Fan or something?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
It’s 1992 and it's finally my turn for the month to use the classroom computer!

SimAnt? Too dull.
Carmen Sandiego? Nah.

https://kidpix.app yessss

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

man, I had kidpix on like two or three different family computers throughout the 90s

that was very much my poo poo

wanna dig up some roms

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ok Comboomer posted:

He's in those very good (but about the 80s) "In Search of Darkness" horror documentaries and, I havent enjoyed Slipknot since like 1999, but he comes across as pretty chill in that. I'd talk about ReAnimator with him over a beer.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I feel like Beavis and Butthead is kind of the most edgy show ever made, even if Family Guy and poo poo are more overtly transgressive with rape jokes and poo poo.

Like Family Guy can't help but soapbox. South Park of course became a soap box quite quickly. But there's really no moral or moralizing to Beavis and Butthead besides, at best, a general condemnation that society is broken; but no causes or solutions are suggested.
It's just two ugly and stupid idiots unleashed in an ugly and stupid world, doing ugly and stupid things and seldom if ever facing meaningful consequences for it. It's pure nihilism in a way that really nothing in the world of animation I can think of before or since has been.

Beavis and Butthead is hard to recommend anyone to hunt down, because the best parts were the music videos which a) exposed me to bands my little kid self would never have seen on TV otherwise (Dinosaur Jr, Pavement) and b) was absolutely the funniest stuff. With that stripped out, it's just these oddly sedate but nihilistic vignettes, which I guess do invoke aimless summers when you're a young teen.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Beavis and Butthead is hard to recommend anyone to hunt down, because the best parts were the music videos which a) exposed me to bands my little kid self would never have seen on TV otherwise (Dinosaur Jr, Pavement) and b) was absolutely the funniest stuff. With that stripped out, it's just these oddly sedate but nihilistic vignettes, which I guess do invoke aimless summers when you're a young teen.

three words: King Turd Collection

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Winklebottom posted:

three words: King Turd Collection

That sounds really cool! But yeah, as a Brit adolescent catching Beavis and Butthead on Channel 4 on Friday nights, I came for the Crass comedy but stayed for "The American Bands Who Don't Put Records Out Here That Cool Teenagers With Plaid Shirts and Skateboards Like".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Disco Pope posted:

most of the music video bits are on youtube now, at least

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

mactheknife posted:

most of the music video bits are on youtube now, at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvFLzQ56wT8

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Creature posted:

SimAnt? Too dull.
Carmen Sandiego? Nah.

"...aaaaand
I float in the ocean!"
Sucks that it doesn't have the randomizer prompts but still a good kick of nostalgia.

I'm still searching for a version of Monopoly I had on my PowerMac 440. It was notable to me because the auctioneer sound clip was the same as in "The Guitar" by TMBG
@ 2:55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OKac0K91p4

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Aug 5, 2021

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

twistedmentat posted:

Also dudes from the Offspring seem cool, Noodles was wearing a Black Lives Matter shirt.

A couple of days back The Offspring got sick of their drummer coming up with R E A S O N S why he couldn’t get a covid vaccine and kicked him out of the band. The lead guy having a degree in… I want to say biochemistry or something, means they weren’t going to stand for that poo poo.

So yeah, some of them are indeed cool dudes.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Creature posted:

SimAnt? Too dull.
Carmen Sandiego? Nah.

Sim ant loving owned and I would love to play it again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Disco Pope posted:

He's in those very good (but about the 80s) "In Search of Darkness" horror documentaries and, I havent enjoyed Slipknot since like 1999, but he comes across as pretty chill in that. I'd talk about ReAnimator with him over a beer.

Yea, he comes across as just some nerdy dude who loves horror.

Johnathan Davis from Korn also talks about how he wanted to have dudes who groped women crowdsurfing beaten and he'd pay for the lawsuit.

Parkingtigers posted:

A couple of days back The Offspring got sick of their drummer coming up with R E A S O N S why he couldn’t get a covid vaccine and kicked him out of the band. The lead guy having a degree in… I want to say biochemistry or something, means they weren’t going to stand for that poo poo.

Yea i remember seeing that. Nice to see some celebs not being shown to be complete shitbags.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Dexter Holland has a PhD in molecular biology, he got it a few years ago after taking a couple decades off for some little music band bullshit or something, idk. His dissertation research was on miRNA in HIV or something, I forget the details.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
Dexter has a PhD in molecular biology, so he knows his poo poo. Good for them for kicking out the drummer.

Offspring were one of the first bands I got into as a kid and I still enjoy listening to some of their stuff once in a while. They always seemed cool as far as I could tell so it’s heartwarming to know they probably are.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

twistedmentat posted:

Johnathan Davis from Korn also talks about how he wanted to have dudes who groped women crowdsurfing beaten and he'd pay for the lawsuit.

Davis definitely seems like a mostly OK guy whose heart is in the right place even though he's clearly made some very tasteless and questionable choices over the years. He doesn't usually get defensive when called out about stuff like the homophobic lyrics of "All in the Family" (I recall they omitted that song entirely from some recent anniversary thing).

Creature posted:

SimAnt? Too dull.
Carmen Sandiego? Nah.

Aw hell yeah

twistedmentat posted:

At the very least he doesn't appear to have gotten on the Trump train, so at least there's that. Maybe he's just salty about the whole red hat thing.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Parkingtigers posted:

Dr. Bryan Keith "Dexter" Holland, the lead singer is has a PhD in molecular biology. He published a 175-page dissertation on the molecular dynamics of HIV and general virus/host interactions.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Holy Wow @ keyboard covers. That's a thing I completely forgot was real, if uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Sim ant loving owned and I would love to play it again.

https://archive.org/details/msdos_SimAnt_-_The_Electronic_Ant_Colony_1991