Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Newborns at a theme park feel crimey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Junkie Disease posted:

Newborns at a theme park feel crimey

Outside of a newborn that's too young to have had any vaccines yet and cannot go out of the house at all this is a poo poo attitude. Their parents are being sleep deprived and otherwise tortured, let them go to a theme park for cripes sake. The infant does not give a single poo poo where it is so long as it can nap, eat when it needs to, have its diaper changed, and is not too hot or too cold. All of its needs can be fairly easily accommodated at a theme park.

I mean you ever see a mom with two kids under two out for a walk in the park on a hot day? She has to carry a metric ton of poo poo with her in case the kids need something. They are gonna have some kind of problem. It's a total pain in the rear end to take them anywhere. But she has been nowhere but the house and maybe the grocery store for weeks. Let people live.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm in the line that you're just inconveniencing yourself and occasionally everyone around you to have kids there below a certain cutoff age. But I only have a hazy memory of events before my sixth birthday. Letting grandma take care of the kids while you do something by yourself kinda sucks as a kid because it makes you feel an inequal third wheel, but when you're an adult you realize that yeah, my parents were right that I'd be incredibly bored by Star Trek VI at that age.

Like some goon's 4 year old apparently knows the names of various attractions by memory and that's great, but a lot of 4 year olds haven't even learned to read them yet.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 5, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

just inconveniencing yourself and occasionally everyone around you to have kids there below a certain cutoff age.

This is literally everything you do with young children but people should still be allowed to do things, especially the theme park designed for families

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Jose Valasquez posted:

This is literally everything you do with young children but people should still be allowed to do things, especially the theme park designed for families

JFC, right? I love going to Disney without my kids like a real childless Millennial too, but I also have brought my kids several times and it's fine.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I didn't see it mentioned already, but Mears released pricing for its Magical Express replacement offering.

32 bucks an adult round trip, which is less than what I thought it was going to be.

They're also offering a "premium" service for 200 dollars for up to 4 people.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/new-direct-express-airport-to-resort-service-announced-for-2022/

edit: I'll probably use the Mears service for my next trip, though I haven't ruled out renting a car. We're going for 9 days and we may want to do a universal day or two, and we always buy a bunch of groceries and stuff so a trip or two to the store is usually in order. I can get good rental car rates through work, so not 100% yet, but still probably going to use the Mears bus, and then Uber/Lyft anywhere else we need to go.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 5, 2021

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Disney is probably the most accommodating place I have taken small children, which makes the "don't bring small children to Disney" takes especially absurd. They truly go out of their way to make it as easy as it can be for families to have a nice time. Everything is stroller accessible. CMs park and organize the strollers for you when you drop them off. Have a kid asleep in the stroller? No problem, bring the whole stroller in the restaurant with you and park it next to the table. Kid's having a meltdown? CM's appear out of nowhere to offer them a sticker or do an impromptu photoshoot to try and distract them and calm them down. Until recently with the cancellation of Magical Express and and Minnie Vans, they made the carseat problem go away. There's special air-conditioned nursing areas in every park for nursing mothers. There's plenty of attractions aimed specifically at small children. There are always picky-eater, kid-friendly food options. The hotel pools have racks of legit life preservers next to them for kids (and adults) who can't swim yet. Even Food & Wine which is totally adult Disney has that find the bee scavenger hunt for kids. I could probably go on.

edit: hotels will provide you with a pack and play upon request so you don't have to travel with one

Dren fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 5, 2021

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Craptacular! posted:

Like some goon's 4 year old apparently knows the names of various attractions by memory and that's great, but a lot of 4 year olds haven't even learned to read them yet.
Yes, most 4 year olds don't know how to read, but a lot of them could recite to you the plot of Moana and Frozen from memory. Different systems come online at different ages.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I rode Mad Tea Party at least a dozen times in a row with my then-2.5 year old. I have no idea how much of the trip she remembers but I had way more fun doing that than I would have had getting wasted at Food and Wine then throwing up on Donald Duck.

Don't get me wrong; I would also love to get wasted at Food and Wine and throw up on Donald Duck.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sorry guys, kids below the age of 6 are basically just screaming poop monsters with no memory retention. There’s no point in doing anything fun with them until you can quiz them about it and push them to excel at theme parks. It’s about you and not them, after all!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm just happy this thread found something besides covid to go at each other's throats over.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

I'm just happy this thread found something besides covid to go at each other's throats over.

hang on lemme get my power point presentation put together again on why Disney is gently caress for being open during covid.

on slide 19 you'll see my newest dog, which just bit a sheep today for the first time. this is your palate cleanser before I yell like an rear end in a top hat for another 374 slides.

chitoryu12 posted:

Sorry guys, kids below the age of 6 are basically just screaming poop monsters with no memory retention. There’s no point in doing anything fun with them until you can quiz them about it and push them to excel at theme parks. It’s about you and not them, after all!

I mean not really this. Obviously kids can go, but their enjoyment may or may not be viable depending on the kid. A 2 year old is just going to be like my stupid rear end was as a 2 year old and trying to run out into the drat Main Street Electrical Parade to steal the sparkly things (I almost died to a doodle bug, imagine the loss to this board if I had :qq: ) .

People can do what they want but "We're taking Kayleigh for her 2nd birthday!" is really about the parents taking the little baby to wiggle at people and for pictures than about the kid enjoying herself.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

People can do what they want but "We're taking Kayleigh for her 2nd birthday!" is really about the parents taking the little baby to wiggle at people and for pictures than about the kid enjoying herself.

And a perfectly legit reason it is.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

And a perfectly legit reason it is.

Maybe. If they're using the kid like you would a cavadoodle "service dog" puppy for Instagram, I dunno about that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

seeing kids at Disney just makes me happier we didn't have any

I'd rather just ban lovely people (and lovely parents and their kids) than just kids

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I love taking my kiddo down there and also going with adults. It’s two different experiences, but watching kiddo learn how to do new things and feel more grown up each time has been really cool. He suggested we hit 4 parks on our last full day and was a champ at the 10+ miles we did (including riding dinosaur 4 times in a row because there was no wait and we could stay in the car. I never would have done that myself but now I have a special fondness for that ride).

Also I like going with folks who are fine waking up at 4am and running until 1am and hitting all the bars.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Maybe. If they're using the kid like you would a cavadoodle "service dog" puppy for Instagram, I dunno about that.

That's a whole separate issue, though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Valasquez posted:

"Kids don't belong at Disney World" is the gooniest take I've seen in a while.

No one said that. In MOST CASES though it will not be a fun experience to bring a kid under 7-ish and, I say this from experience as will anyone who has worked at WDW, the vast majority of parents that attempt this are not prepared for it either and it ends up being an all around miserable experience for the kid and the parents.

For instance, if you need a stroller the size of a small SUV absolutely packed with supplies to get through a couple hours at the park, then maybe it was too soon to do this.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 5, 2021

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Ban tour groups like the Brazil quinceañera and cheerleaders. They’re much worse than even the most obnoxious families.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

No one said that.
You sure about that?

Yeah at those prices I think there should be a minimum age requirement so small children don't ruin it.

Hazo posted:

Buddy this is how I feel about Disney World in general

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
There’s a big gap between “tired parents haven’t been out of the house in months” and “let’s book flights/long car rides, book pricy hotel room, pay hundreds of dollars to walk in the FL humidity - all with a newborn/toddler in-tow.”

Like I said—little kids at Disney is one thing. Infants are another altogether and just sounds like a miserable experience for all involved.

Go to the movies or local park or something if you need to get out of the house. Or leave the precious babby with a sitter. But you don’t because the <1 year old HAS to take that pic with Tweedle Dumb.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've got a bunch of opinions about taking kids to WDW and DLR, but ultimately they don't matter

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I've got a bunch of opinions about taking kids to WDW and DLR, but ultimately they don't matter

Umm that quote is about Disneyland; it was a core part of Walt's vision that Disney World should be a 21+ only adult zone :goonsay:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cockblocktopus posted:

Umm that quote is about Disneyland; it was a core part of Walt's vision that Disney World should be a 21+ only adult zone :goonsay:

I knew that was going to happen when I posted it.

Walt is probably spinning in his cryogenic chamber anyway right now with the amount of Alcohol being sold in the parks, and with MK and DL not being dry anymore. It's stupid profitable though so he might have been ok with it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I knew that was going to happen when I posted it.

Walt is probably spinning in his cryogenic chamber anyway right now with the amount of Alcohol being sold in the parks, and with MK and DL not being dry anymore. It's stupid profitable though so he might have been ok with it.

he's spinning because they keep funneling new alcoholic drinks in for him to try. the ones that make him spin the fastest make the final menus.

they gave him the new F&W booze menu and he's personally powering Carousel of Progress for the next six months.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Y’all realize people book and pay for Disney trips long in advance right? And then sometimes have a baby between planning and trip time so they end up having an young baby on the trip. I’ve been with friends at the parks in that circumstance and it’s really not a big deal.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

he's spinning because they keep funneling new alcoholic drinks in for him to try. the ones that make him spin the fastest make the final menus.

they gave him the new F&W booze menu and he's personally powering Carousel of Progress for the next six months.

Every time someone goes to the beignet stand and orders "Mickey's Big Nuts," Walt spins for another week.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

on slide 19 you'll see my newest dog, which just bit a sheep today for the first time. this is your palate cleanser before I yell like an rear end in a top hat for another 374 slides.

This is the second time you have mentioned this dog in passing without paying the photo tax

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We can quibble for days about whether walt would have wanted alcohol, or the degree to which he was okay with black or jewish people, but we can definitely agree that he would have hated the presence of union employees at the park with his name on it. Fuckin pinkos infiltrating his company.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

skipdogg posted:

guess we gotta ban the Jews

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

This is the second time you have mentioned this dog in passing without paying the photo tax

We can quibble for days about whether walt would have wanted alcohol, or the degree to which he was okay with black or jewish people, but we can definitely agree that he would have hated the presence of union employees at the park with his name on it. Fuckin pinkos infiltrating his company.

she will gladly bite everyone in this thread.

Imagine Walt trying to understand non-binary people. It'd have been so great. And tattoos? Piercings? If Walt hadn't been frozen, he'd have never made it through the 2020s and the way the business had to change to retain their employees. They'd have nothing but old, white people who weren't conservative enough by his standards if he was somehow still in charge right now.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I don’t care about kids at the park. I just feel like, if they are so young and not super going to retain the memories, why not go some place cheaper.

One of the Podcast the Ride guys took his kid to Seaworld cause they have the Sesame Street characters and that seems like a much cheaper way to have solid kid fun at a theme park without paying big Disney $$$

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, absolutely. The minimum age for a kid to even get anything out of it that makes it worth it is like, 7. But going even further, I'd say 8 or 9 years old. Old enough to not need a stroller, not need constant breaks, understand why you're doing these things and that there's a benefit to pushing yourself a little, not complain about being tired, etc.

I just cannot get over this post in particular. You know what I, as a 9 year old, would call my mom if she took me to Disney and forced me to skip breaks and not complain about being tired because I didn't want to min-max for Total Fun? Something 9-year-olds shouldn't be saying in public. This is a psychotic post.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

I don’t care about kids at the park. I just feel like, if they are so young and not super going to retain the memories, why not go some place cheaper.

One of the Podcast the Ride guys took his kid to Seaworld cause they have the Sesame Street characters and that seems like a much cheaper way to have solid kid fun at a theme park without paying big Disney $$$

The same reason you go on any vacation with a kid that young? "The trip is for the parents" isn't some super confusing concept.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you don’t have kids just get hammered and then you won’t notice anyone else’s kids to get all mad about

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

I just cannot get over this post in particular. You know what I, as a 9 year old, would call my mom if she took me to Disney and forced me to skip breaks and not complain about being tired because I didn't want to min-max for Total Fun? Something 9-year-olds shouldn't be saying in public. This is a psychotic post.

A 9 year old should not need nearly as many breaks or coddling as a ~5 year old. That was my point. Nowhere did I say that the vacation must be free of break time or relaxation.

I’m sorry, but I don’t think “WDW will probably be more enjoyable for most parents and their children if they wait until they can mentally and physically handle it” is a psychotic take.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
RIP* to another Orlando theme park.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1423335272171941891?s=21

*It was already dead pre-Covid

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Let's refocus this conversation on finding the minimum test that must be passed before someone can enjoy Disney enough that it was worth it for them to go.

I'll start with "has completed Joe Rohde's reading list for future theme park designers"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

ermahgahd she is everything i hoped she would be

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Not if I eat all her ears up first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

You could always do what my parents did once. They told me they were going on vacation to South Carolina and sent me to my grandparents for the week, but they actually just went to Disney for the week.

I was 10.

I would do the same

E: dog owns