Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Wtf is this poo poo. Talk about something else please

Heres my ranking of every star wars film from best to worst:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

tokin opposition posted:

9/11 was a hoax, it was all crisis actors. the towers were destroyed by the spirit of communism manifesting and public knowledge would make it stronger

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
9/11 was a hoax the buildings never existed

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Any inconvenient piece of information is a conspiracy theory. It makes for a good excuse. The only thing we do any more is make excuses. Either it didn’t happen or it’s not our fault or it’s not so bad or they deserved it or you shouldn’t care because worse things exist.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
brace and liz lost me when they unironically did the "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" thing, if you gently caress up simple material properties like that then you shouldn't be speaking on any engineering-related matters. i definitely believe though that bush and the us government allowed it to happen as a convenient excuse to start a new set of wars because they definitely had full knowledge of the plot.

tokin opposition posted:

The only good saga is a zombieland

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Elderbean posted:

Is there an article somewhere that compiles how many people the US has killed since the end of WW2? If you add up wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, plus the number killed via proxy wars and death squads what do you get, on average?

There used to be groups like ARDIS (Assocation for Responsible Dissent) that, as of the late '80s, estimated that CIA covert ops alone were responsible for at least 6 million deaths. The group was comprised of ex-CIA officials so take those figures with a grain of salt. Calculating deaths America was either directly or indirectly responsible for through direct military intervention, CIA ops, the World Bank, IMF, etc. would probably be impossible but the number would obviously be way, way higher than 6 million

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Aug 6, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There used to be groups like ARDIS (Assocation for Responsible Dissent) that, as of the late '80s, estimated that CIA covert ops alone were responsible for at least 6 million deaths. The group was comprised of ex-CIA officials so take those figures with a grain of salt. Calculating deaths America was either directly or indirectly responsible for through direct military intervention, CIA ops, the World Bank, IMF, etc. would probably be impossible but the number would obviously be way, way higher than 6 million
what our policies do to the global south probably kill 6 million people a year tbh

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Shipon posted:

brace and liz lost me when they unironically did the "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" thing, if you gently caress up simple material properties like that then you shouldn't be speaking on any engineering-related matters. i definitely believe though that bush and the us government allowed it to happen as a convenient excuse to start a new set of wars because they definitely had full knowledge of the plot.

Why would buildings in general have fire insulation on their steel beams if steel beams in general are immune to fire? The secondary explosives theory just doesn’t lead anywhere. If true, it would open up the possibility of a lot of physical evidence. But that evidence isn’t there and the general theory of the crime works the same without it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

yeah I don't see why It has to be more complicated than "Oliver North or whoever left a suitcase full of cash with a Saudi arms dealer while talking about the midterm elections"

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Shipon posted:

what our policies do to the global south probably kill 6 million people a year tbh

after reading about what happened to sukarno and the pki 6 million sounds laughably low for the whole world

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sure was real lucky that one of the terrorists' passports just landed unharmed in the street

quote:

The passport was recovered by NYPD Detective Yuk H. Chin from a male passerby in a business suit, about 30 years old. The passerby left before being identified, while debris was falling from WTC 2. The tower collapsed shortly afterwards. The detective then gave the passport to the FBI on 9/11.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Trabisnikof posted:

sure was real lucky that one of the terrorists' passports just landed unharmed in the street

they should've made the support beams out of passports.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Heres my ranking of every star wars film from best to worst:

Ah, finally a list I agree with

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

quote:

In Earth 2, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Catwoman seemingly gave their lives in order to repel the Apokoliptan invasion, leaving behind a world with no heroes.[16] Supergirl and Robin (Helena Wayne) end up stranded in the mainstream universe towards the end of the invasion.[17] When the Earth-2 Solomon Grundy threatens the world, three new heroes team up to defeat him: the Flash (Jay Garrick), Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders), and Green Lantern (Alan Scott).[18] In later issues, Mister Terrific (Michael Holt) from the mainstream universe joins the team. Other heroes who have made appearances include Dr. Fate (Khalid Ben-Hassin), the Atom (Al Pratt, now nuclear-powered), the Sandman (Wesley Dodds), Mister Miracle, and Big Barda. In addition, the heroes of the Earth get supported by the World Army. Villains include Solomon Grundy, a now-villainous Terry Sloan, Wotan, Steppenwolf and what was thought to be a surviving, Darkseid-brainwashed Superman, which turned out to be a very powerful but genetically unstable Bizarro-type clone. Writer James Robinson left the series with issue #16 and Tom Taylor became the new writer at #17.[19] Other new characters introduced as the series progresses include a female Red Tornado (an android with the consciousness of Lois Lane which was uploaded that was uploaded into it by Sam Lane and Robotman), a hyper-intelligent knowledge-assimilator known as Accountable (Jimmy Olsen), a new Batman (Thomas Wayne using Miraclo), a new version of Aquawoman (Marella), and a new Superman (Val-Zod, a Kryptonian and a childhood friend of Power Girl's who had been imprisoned by Terry Sloan).

Towards the end of the series, Darkseid launches a second invasion of Earth, which is depicted in both Earth 2 and the weekly series Earth 2: World's End. Another weekly series, The New 52: Futures End, depicts a possible future in which refugees from a destroyed Earth 2 come to Earth 0 and prompt society to fracture. Over the course of the series, several new characters are introduced, such as Yolanda Montez, an Avatar of the Red who is a counterpart of Alan Scott; a second Red Arrow, an Earth 2 equivalent of Oliver Queen; Ted Grant, a former boxer; and Dick Grayson, a journalist who goes on a mission to find his son after his wife Barbara Gordon is killed during the invasion. Others change alignment; Wonder Woman and Steppenwolf's daughter Fury sides with Mister Miracle and the other heroes after Big Barda reveals her loyalty to Darkseid. Huntress and Power Girl return to Earth 2 as well to take part in a mad scramble to save the Earth and then later, to save its people along with a computerized record of human culture and life on Earth created by Bruce Wayne. In Earth 2: World's End #11, it is revealed that Highfather made a deal with Darkseid that he would not interfere with Darkseid's plans for conquest so long as Darkseid only preyed upon one Earth of the Multiverse, which was Earth 2, explaining the recurrent tragedies faced by this world in comparison to others. In the end, Darkseid is successful, and the Earth is destroyed, and attempts to take Earth 2's refugees to Earth 0 are prevented by a time traveling Tim Drake in Futures End. Just as the world ends, several of the Wonders are sent to the planet Telos by Brainiac, where they confront their counterparts from various parallel worlds, both present and extinct, in the Convergence miniseries. Over the course of the series, Batman dies and Dick Grayson, inspired by his Batman counterparts from other worlds, takes up the mantle from Thomas Wayne. Ultimately, the planet Telos is terraformed into a new Earth-like planet and sent to the Earth 2 dimension as a new home for its refugees.

The heroes' fraught attempts at forming a new society, rapidly augmented by Terry Sloan's technology, is depicted in the follow-on series Earth 2: Society (August 2015 – March 2017).[20] It also debuts versions of Hourman and Mist. The final arc of the series recreates Earth 2 again making it appear similar to their universe's first Earth through use of an Amazon artifact known as Pandora's Casket by Ultra-Humanite. This Earth has had no history of Wonders with Ultra-Humanite controlling the world behind the scenes. Following Ultra-Humanite's defeat, the Wonders becomes the world's new defenders and hopes that this Earth is the Earth they can protect.

At the end of Doomsday Clock #12 (2019), Doctor Manhattan reverses the actions that created the "New 52" universe, restoring Alan Scott and the Justice Society's original full histories as before Flashpoint, and the original Earth-Two is explained as existing in the multiverse too.

cool

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

a single passport floats on the wind like it's Forrest Gump

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Blowback Season 3 should be the Vietnam War.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Bar Crow posted:

Why would buildings in general have fire insulation on their steel beams if steel beams in general are immune to fire? The secondary explosives theory just doesn’t lead anywhere. If true, it would open up the possibility of a lot of physical evidence. But that evidence isn’t there and the general theory of the crime works the same without it.
idk the fact that they rushed off the wreckage to china to be melted down/re-used is pretty sus and hard to allow closer examination

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
In my experience it is really difficult for me to discuss 9/11 and other conspiracy theories because a lot of the folks who believe them let it consume their entire identity. If you don't agree with every single little detail, even if I agree with the overall point, they'll get upset with me. I think that's part of why trueanon and a lot of Robbie Martin's work is refreshing for me to hear.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Greg Legg posted:

In my experience it is really difficult for me to discuss 9/11 and other conspiracy theories because a lot of the folks who believe them let it consume their entire identity. If you don't agree with every single little detail, even if I agree with the overall point, they'll get upset with me. I think that's part of why trueanon and a lot of Robbie Martin's work is refreshing for me to hear.

This is why conspiracy theory is reactionary, in the absence of a solid class analysis, which quite intentionally because of how the US works people generally don't have it, all ot does is demobilize people

You should never lead with conspiracy for that reason. Start there if that's where they do, but never work your way toward that core

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

we live in a world with people who believe this smdh

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

9/11 took a hell of a lot of training and planning and resources for the jihadists to pull off. It was majorly successful thanks to solid execution, heaps of luck and major sacrifice on their part.

Truther stuff seeks to deny them their recognition and is, frankly, rude as hell.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

9/11 took a hell of a lot of training and planning and resources for the jihadists to pull off. It was majorly successful thanks to solid execution, heaps of luck and major sacrifice on their part.

Truther stuff seeks to deny them their recognition and is, frankly, rude as hell.

lol i remember someone else itt making this peabrained argument

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
why bother with building 7? no one even cared at the time and after teh twin towers were hit bush had carte blanche for war no matter what else happened

that part of the true anon series was a bit eye rolling but at least they didnt say it was to get the gold reserves buried under it or anything

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Hooplah posted:

lol i remember someone else itt making this peabrained argument

It's a correct argument, you lash out because you have no rebuttal.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Truther dumbasses should call those white helmet remnants of al qaida and apologize this instant

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Fortaleza posted:

It's a correct argument, you lash out because you have no rebuttal.

It also took the entire US intelligence apparatus actively ignoring their own and other country's warnings, let's give credit where credit is due :)

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Mr. Lobe posted:

This is why conspiracy theory is reactionary, in the absence of a solid class analysis, which quite intentionally because of how the US works people generally don't have it, all ot does is demobilize people

You should never lead with conspiracy for that reason. Start there if that's where they do, but never work your way toward that core

It's wrong to ascribe "conspiratorial thinking" as a process people either do or don't have like it's a DSM-V condition or assume it's the lens people are viewing the world with from the outset. It's the product of trying to make sense of a nonsensical world. How does a country with a $700 billion military budget let something like that happen? Remember- the operative word is let.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

It also took the entire US intelligence apparatus actively ignoring their own and other country's warnings, let's give credit where credit is due :)

That's largely what I meant by "heaps of luck". I'm sure it wasn't the only plot that got ignored but luckily for them it was!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

where is the Ocean's Eleven type movie where you get to see the hijackers smoothly pull off 9/11

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't give a gently caress about your buildings! I don't know who knocked your towers down! I'm just glad that someone did!!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i give a lot more credit to american intelligence and oil money than jihadists. it lead to the largest increase in their power since the 50s

9/11 was not the act of a revolutionary vanguard

Fortaleza posted:

That's largely what I meant by "heaps of luck". I'm sure it wasn't the only plot that got ignored but luckily for them it was!

being a patsy is not "luck"

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Victory Position posted:

where is the Ocean's Eleven type movie where you get to see the hijackers smoothly pull off 9/11

Just watch Syriana with a smooth montage-y jazz overlay

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Fortaleza posted:

Project Bojinka was also completely ignored by the US, it was the Philippines intelligence service that rumbled the plotters

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Victory Position posted:

Would unironically love a movie that has an oceans eleven style for the entire movie, then at the end they zoom out to reveal they're about to crash into the world trade center before cutting to credits.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Hooplah posted:

being a patsy is not "luck"

Oh look at that, the truther denies the agency of motivated brown men. These guys may have had the zeal and means to pull this off, but there's no way the could have, for reasons! I mean just look at them!

Truthers/racists are the worst :eng99:

vanishedimam
Nov 15, 2017
Please do not erase Lebanon's contributions to this world event (providing the fuckup failson who crashed into a field).

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Hey, remember that Chapo episode about how there's essentially an army of people paid to post the dumbest poo poo online? Oh no reason...

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Hey, remember that Chapo episode about how there's essentially an army of people paid to post the dumbest poo poo online? Oh no reason...

The only army that can defeat that army... is one that does it for free.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fortaleza posted:

Oh look at that, the truther denies the agency of motivated brown men. These guys may have had the zeal and means to pull this off, but there's no way the could have, for reasons! I mean just look at them!

Truthers/racists are the worst :eng99:

the woke cia recruiting video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

the woke cia recruiting video

Right? God, just those words strung together is a combo of hilarious and enraging I doubt I could make it 5 seconds into such a thing