Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

also linus techtip and giant bombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SElZABp5M3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRlDEnhJHL0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Videos are long, but I have questions that they're probably not answering:

1. Is there a screenshot button?
2. Can I pause a game to go look at old screenshots and even delete them?

I mean, I already went from not having a Steam account to purchasing 16 games in the past couple of weeks in anticipation of this thing dropping. Mass Effect is the most anticipated title I'd like to play on it. But when it comes to Metroidvanias the Switch has completely ruined me with the ease of taking screenshots and looking back over them without having to quit a game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

On Steam Input at least, you can take a screenshot with any controller by pressing home+R1

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
There isn't a dedicated screenshot button, but you can more or less configure whatever combination of buttons you want to trigger a screenshot. As for looking at and managing the screenshots, if it works anything like steam does now, yes you should be able to pause your game and trigger the steam overlay to then look at the screenshots. It should have all the functionality we currently do in steam.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I don't know that it's been explicitly mentioned, but Steam has the whole Steam Community thing and it's easy as hell to take screenshots on PC through Steam so I don't see why not.

If it's not configured by default, Steam Input would probably let you do it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/valve-steam-deck-api-optimisation

Valve confirmed there will be an API games can use to query if they're running on a Steam Deck, so they can load up pre-tuned settings for it

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

repiv posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/valve-steam-deck-api-optimisation

Valve confirmed there will be an API games can use to query if they're running on a Steam Deck, so they can load up pre-tuned settings for it

This right here might be the single most important feature for the steamer

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I just remembered that I have rocksmith but always hated sitting at my pc to play it. Hopefully the rocksmith cable works with this, and then I can just get a nice stand (sheet music stand) and mount it on there, and be able to play pretty much anywhere. Awesome!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Linus video is pretty good tbh

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

other than them shooting at 30fps when trying to demonstrate performance lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

other than them shooting at 30fps when trying to demonstrate performance lol

Ah I can’t tell since I’m on my Apple TV.

Both videos mention that the weight doesn’t feel like an issue at all.

I really like that Linus has an Aya Neo there as well since that’s what I have.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Aha!

So they are running an older kernel with some of their own patches and the (now released) dev version of mesa that appears to just be bog standard upstream mesa.

It's a bit weird that they'd use the OpenGL compatibility profile string for the video driver but it's not really relevant.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Steam client itself uses the compatibility profile for its own rendering, so that's the version it reports.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

IIRC nobody actually used OpenGL Core Profile besides Apple? Everyone else kept all the legacy GL cruft for backwards compatibility.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Individual applications can request Core or Compatibility profiles, Apple is unique in refusing to offer Compatibility profiles at all.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

repiv posted:

Outlets besides IGN are previewing the Steam Deck now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L2j_pFgEuk

They compare the regular vs. etched glass at 3:25
I know the other videos show a better color/brightness trade-off than this video, but I'm still kind of annoyed that I'm pre-ordering the best version (storage-wise) and I might have wanted the regular glass instead.
At least when I have it in-hand I won't have another Steam Deck to compare it to and it'll look gorgeous without seeing it head-to-head.

I know a lot of comments are talking about playing it outside, but er... I don't plan to play it outside.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 6, 2021

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

JazzFlight posted:

I know the other videos show a better color/brightness trade-off than this video, but I'm still kind of annoyed that I'm pre-ordering the best version (storage-wise) and I might have wanted the regular glass instead.
At least when I have it in-hand I won't have another Steam Deck to compare it to and it'll look gorgeous without seeing it head-to-head.

I know a lot of comments are talking about playing it outside, but er... I don't plan to play it outside.

The Verge is bad and should not be trusted for anything. Other videos show the etched screen looking just as good as the non-etched, plus not reflective.

Timestamped video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SElZABp5M3U&t=646s

From Tested:

WTFBEES fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 6, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

WTFBEES posted:

The Verge is bad and should not be trusted for anything. Other videos show the etched screen looking just as good as the non-etched, plus not reflective.

Timestamped video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SElZABp5M3U&t=646s

I don't know that I'd agree with that honestly. But being a touchscreen I think the real benefit of the etched glass is the screen not immediately looking like greasy garbage because your finger was adjacent to the device for a fraction of a second.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Any comparisons with the Switch + Split Pad Pro?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Matte screens are always a little duller than glossy ones, that's just the nature of them, it scatters light going both ways. That's why laptop manufacturers have preferred the superglossy ones for so long because they look really nice when you're doing an A/B comparison at Best Buy or whatever. They still look pretty good though if you're not directly comparing them

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

homeless snail posted:

They still look pretty good though if you're not directly comparing them

Yeah that's a good point. You're only really ever gonna notice the difference in a direct, side-by-side comparison.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Good lord, give me anti-glare any day any time. Jesus gently caress the reflections on the top one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Good lord, give me anti-glare any day any time. Jesus gently caress the reflections on the top one.

Yeah my aya Neo definitely needs it. Even inside during the day it can be really reflective.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Saoshyant posted:

As someone getting the 512, I feel like the anti-glare glass REALLY should have been standard across all SKUs. That glare is pretty hosed and on a device meant to be used on the go, that's going to be an annoyance. Pretty bullshit it's only on the most expensive model, give us a fancier case or some accent colors on the device, some stupid superficial poo poo.

I have no experience in Linux and only have a really, really barebones understanding of Proton but how will it work with titles on Steam that require other launchers like Origin or Ubisoft's Launcher (whatever it's called, lol), does Proton handle that type of poo poo well? And for something that doesn't have a Linux native version, can I install the Windows version and have Proton attempt to make it work? For instance, RetroArch is on Steam right now so I have a lot of emulation covered there, but the Steam version doesn't have Dolphin/Citra support and the versions of RetroArch that do have really dated version of those emulators... could I get the Windows version of Citra running on this without much fuss? Would love to have my 3DS library in HD on the go and just get rid of my 3DS. The fact that this has a touch screen would make it pretty amazing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Proton is built only to run Windows games purchased and installed through Steam.

RetroArch and Citra both have Linux-native versions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are very few emulators out there that don't have native linux versions. Basically every open source emulator has a linux build.

Though Proton only working through steam is kind of lame since it strikes me as an artificial limitation just to force linux users onto Steam. How dependent is it on Steam, really? Could someone conceivably build a custom version that works with non-steam games?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 7, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Proton is mostly just a fork of Wine and DXVK, with a handful of patches and a frontend to make it easier to hook into Steam. I think most of it ends up upstream, and you can run Wine with DXVK yourself and get pretty similar performance to Proton. "Proton", the program itself, is just like a 1000 line python script that runs Wine

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are very few emulators out there that don't have native linux versions. Basically every open source emulator has a linux build.

Though Proton only working through steam is kind of lame since it strikes me as an artificial limitation just to force linux users onto Steam. How dependent is it on Steam, really? Could someone conceivably build a custom version that works with non-steam games?

Its already a custom version of something that does. Proton is a version of wine that's got valves devs working to make it user friendly. Wine is a program that lets you run windows programs under Linux, which works, but (as of ~6 years ago anyways) is a humongous pain in the rear end to configure, and exponentially moreso when you want to run more than one program.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I mean, I already went from not having a Steam account to purchasing 16 games in the past couple of weeks in anticipation of this thing dropping. Mass Effect is the most anticipated title I'd like to play on it. But when it comes to Metroidvanias the Switch has completely ruined me with the ease of taking screenshots and looking back over them without having to quit a game.

What's the screenshot infatuation about, if you don't mind my asking? Am I playing Metroidvania games wrong by not using them? Or is it just pretty pictures...?

Only asking because I don't think I've ever used this feature.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

JammyB posted:

What's the screenshot infatuation about, if you don't mind my asking? Am I playing Metroidvania games wrong by not using them? Or is it just pretty pictures...?

Only asking because I don't think I've ever used this feature.

Maybe he's using them to remind him of items and doors and stuff that he'll need to backtrack for later. Sometimes it's also just nice looking back on the things you did in a game and sharing them with other people.

Steam has built-in screenshot support that you can bind to a button, and you can view those screenshots by going to the overlay. I don't think there's a dedicated button for this on the Steam Deck, but you should be able to bind one on a per-game basis.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

Outlets besides IGN are previewing the Steam Deck now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L2j_pFgEuk

They compare the regular vs. etched glass at 3:25

bit hard to judge the capabilities when there's no framerate estimates.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

JammyB posted:

What's the screenshot infatuation about, if you don't mind my asking?

Maybe he's using them to remind him of items and doors and stuff that he'll need to backtrack for later.
It's exactly that. I take screenshots of the screen then the game map to remember where barriers and items are, or at least what I think is one. Then when I get a progression item later I can just check back over the screenshots I took to figure out where to backtrack, without having to remember what was in a particular spot.

It makes Metroidvanias very efficient, especially ones that don't have objective markers. I used to be able to remember these things a lot better when I was younger but now it's this or take notes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

There is no such limitation, it's just fiddly to use outside of steam. The proton patches for wine are public and are routinely incorporated into other custom wine builds. One RedHat developer maintains a pretty popular fork with patches and Lutris incorporates a lot of proton's patches into their own builds.

There's a whole cottage industry of wine+patches builds and people experimenting with them. Like patches that run a game in its native resolution and upscale it to your monitor's resolution with black bars to fit the aspect ratio, that in turn someone else modified to use AMD's hardware upscaler instead.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

it sounds like valve had them on a tight leash with which games they were allowed to play, and not allowing direct feed capture

linus showed the on-screen FPS counter for doom eternal at least

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you probably aren’t going to get that kind of look until a couple weeks before launch

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Linus did that for Doom: Eternal in his video, and compared it to the Aya Neo.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hi, I'm the lead dev on Proton since the project started in 2016. It's really cool seeing everyone talk about the Deck, and it's pretty wild seeing the internal "Proton" codename I came up with some afternoon five years ago all over Valve's official marketing, haha. I'm happy to answer questions, though obviously I can't talk about specifics for the Deck which aren't already public. I don't work at Valve, they contract with the company I work for to do Proton development.

sigher posted:

I have no experience in Linux and only have a really, really barebones understanding of Proton but how will it work with titles on Steam that require other launchers like Origin or Ubisoft's Launcher (whatever it's called, lol), does Proton handle that type of poo poo well? And for something that doesn't have a Linux native version, can I install the Windows version and have Proton attempt to make it work? For instance, RetroArch is on Steam right now so I have a lot of emulation covered there, but the Steam version doesn't have Dolphin/Citra support and the versions of RetroArch that do have really dated version of those emulators... could I get the Windows version of Citra running on this without much fuss? Would love to have my 3DS library in HD on the go and just get rid of my 3DS. The fact that this has a touch screen would make it pretty amazing.

Proton runs other game launchers which are distributed through Steam decently well, including Origin and Ubisoft's stuff. They're both required for a lot of important games, so we try to be responsive if an update to their software breaks in Proton. As for running non-Steam Windows applications, it's something that the Steam for Linux client supports, but it's not a feature that gets a lot of use or testing, so that's getting into the weeds a bit. The Deck will have a desktop mode, which you can use to run other Wine distributions like Lutris which can handle non-Steam applications better than Proton can. Proton is pretty much designed to run games distributed by Steam, in Steam.

It's not an artificial limitation, it's just that running stuff outside of Steam isn't a design goal of the project, so we don't spend resources on supporting it. Like others have said, you can take the changes we make to Wine and apply them to any other Wine installation to get those benefits (better controller support, faking display resolution changes, various usability and performance hacks, etc). Lots of other Wine-based projects have done that and adapted our changes. However some of our hacks depend on Steam-specific stuff like the game's Steam identification number, so those won't work if you're not running in the Steam client. Again, it's not about locking people into Steam, it's about how we spend our limited dev resources.

homeless snail posted:

Proton is mostly just a fork of Wine and DXVK, with a handful of patches and a frontend to make it easier to hook into Steam. I think most of it ends up upstream, and you can run Wine with DXVK yourself and get pretty similar performance to Proton. "Proton", the program itself, is just like a 1000 line python script that runs Wine

It is that, and a billion-line Makefile to build the fucker ;)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Could you give us the history of how Proton came to be and the difficulties with such a project? Do you work on SteamOS as well? Pretty awesome the lead developer is a goon and posting in this thread.

Welcome to the thread!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Do you think total compatibility with Steam's entire library (which is what Valve say they're shooting for) is actually possible? I've spoken to developers associated with Wine who are skeptical of the achievability of that goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Not sure if it's part of proton, but if so, can you explain how well pause and resume will work?