Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
We got a sitter for this weekend to just go over twice a day and feed him and hang out and she keeps sending us pictures and she just sent me a picture of her holding him on her lap and I’m furious. He won’t let ME do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thumbtacks posted:

We got a sitter for this weekend to just go over twice a day and feed him and hang out and she keeps sending us pictures and she just sent me a picture of her holding him on her lap and I’m furious. He won’t let ME do that

I've noticed more experienced bunny people tend to have a way of making the bunny enjoy it. Like, they just ninja the bunny into their lap and get them loving the pats before the bunny has a chance to realize they don't like lap.

My bunnies will not let me pick them up, but I watched the experienced people just scoop them no problems like the kids love being carried

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ernie is pretty much the same as last night, his gait seems normal but he still has nystagmus. The vet should call me back to talk about a neurology consult.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the one on the right appears to be made mostly of blur

no, really, that fur pattern implies zoomies so well

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

the one on the right appears to be made mostly of blur

no, really, that fur pattern implies zoomies so well

they all love zoomies

young rabbits are a pain at times, but they're a lot of fun

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ah poo poo, they’ve all figured out how to rattle the cage door to get attention. poo poo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Free roam is the answer

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
We've let Ajax fully free roam, even at night, ever since we moved in and he's having a blast. I got a standing desk a few weeks ago and whenever I come downstairs in the morning to start working he runs up, circles me a few times honking, and then immediately runs to go lay under my desk. I just jam my foot under him as a toe warmer and I'm good to work. He loves it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Look at them all. Plotting adorably.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So my new buns had their first vet visit....

And it turns out Hieronymous is actually Her-ronymous

Which explains why she has Harriet's spirit

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I realized I never said what happened with Ernie. His symptoms just faded away. I got a second opinion from my regular exotic vet to be sure, but everything's been normal with him since then.

The only thing I can figure is that my rear end in a top hat neighbours set off a ton of fireworks in their backyard on July 3rd, and maybe that freaked him out real bad. Next time they do that I'll move him to a room on the other side of the house with the radio turned up. I might also ask them to stop yelling the n-word.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Halloween Jack posted:

I realized I never said what happened with Ernie. His symptoms just faded away. I got a second opinion from my regular exotic vet to be sure, but everything's been normal with him since then.

The only thing I can figure is that my rear end in a top hat neighbours set off a ton of fireworks in their backyard on July 3rd, and maybe that freaked him out real bad. Next time they do that I'll move him to a room on the other side of the house with the radio turned up. I might also ask them to stop yelling the n-word.

That's good to hear. I was interested in this because something similar happened with my rabbit a couple months ago, where she was tilting her head and only turning in one direction. We took her to the vet right away but there wasn't anything obvious causing the issue and all of her test came back clean, so they just told us to watch her and bring her back if things got worse. Over a few weeks the symptoms just went away though, and we still have no idea what caused it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

based on what I have read maybe just an extremely minor ear infection that clear itself up?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Hello thread! I used to foster bunnies about 10 years ago and finally got some of my own. They're two boys, named Salt and Pepper. They're both about 3 months old, Dutch and ??? white bunny. Their cage comes with a playpen but I think I'll just get a second cage when they're a little bigger because the current one wasn't as big as I thought it was. Both WAY more tolerant of being held than my old foster rabbits because they've been very socialized.

So far they think bananas are great. Dislike watermelon.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
They are adorable

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Never met a rabbit that didn't love bananas. Bananas: The Thinking Man's CarrotTM

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hardwood Floor posted:

Hello thread! I used to foster bunnies about 10 years ago and finally got some of my own. They're two boys, named Salt and Pepper. They're both about 3 months old, Dutch and ??? white bunny. Their cage comes with a playpen but I think I'll just get a second cage when they're a little bigger because the current one wasn't as big as I thought it was. Both WAY more tolerant of being held than my old foster rabbits because they've been very socialized.

So far they think bananas are great. Dislike watermelon.

I love blue eyes on rabbits. One of the rabbits I almost adopted had blue eyes.

Any reason you're thinking of a second cage instead of just going for a big pen? This assumes that free roam isn't in the cards at the moment.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I love blue eyes on rabbits. One of the rabbits I almost adopted had blue eyes.

Any reason you're thinking of a second cage instead of just going for a big pen? This assumes that free roam isn't in the cards at the moment.

So I talked to my friend for like 10 minutes after I posted this and realized if I put baby gates up I can literally give them an entire room. :toot: The cage itself isn't Bad it's just smallish for them getting older I think, but I could solve that pretty easily with room space. Hooray fake hardwood floors!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hardwood Floor posted:

So I talked to my friend for like 10 minutes after I posted this and realized if I put baby gates up I can literally give them an entire room. :toot: The cage itself isn't Bad it's just smallish for them getting older I think, but I could solve that pretty easily with room space. Hooray fake hardwood floors!

rab rooms are great. can't wait until I get the four knuckleheads the snip so I can start opening up my workspace more to them.

just make sure they don't eat or chew anything bad! paint and sealer on wood trim is an obvious one, as are wires, but you know that

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Halloween Jack posted:

Never met a rabbit that didn't love bananas. Bananas: The Thinking Man's CarrotTM

Do your rabbits twitch their butts when they get banana? It’s the only treat that causes that to happen with our rabbits

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Oh also quick question: since my dudes haven't fully hit bunny puberty yet, how does fixing males affect behavior stuff? I've only fostered girls and one was super moody and mean until I got her fixed and then she was much more calm, does the same kinda apply to boys?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hardwood Floor posted:

Oh also quick question: since my dudes haven't fully hit bunny puberty yet, how does fixing males affect behavior stuff? I've only fostered girls and one was super moody and mean until I got her fixed and then she was much more calm, does the same kinda apply to boys?

Apparently boys are much much worse without the snip, and will fight so its not an optional thing anyway

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Deadite posted:

Do your rabbits twitch their butts when they get banana? It’s the only treat that causes that to happen with our rabbits
They're not really very expressive like that when they're sitting around their pen. I don't know if it's their temperament, or a Holland Lop thing. They really only get hyper when they're running around the TV room. I'm working on changing the furniture and cable setup in my office so that they can at least run around in there unsupervised. My English lop didn't give a drat about chew toys, but Bert & Ernie will immediately go for cables.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Apparently boys are much much worse without the snip, and will fight so its not an optional thing anyway

I always heard that unspayed females were more belligerent and difficult, and boys more variable in temperament but hooooorny

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I am moving my 5 colony rabbits from Wyoming to Georgia. Would you all recommend putting them in individual carriers for the long drive or keeping them together, maybe a group of 2 and a group of 3? They are 4 intact females and 1 neutered male and they all live together in a large yard. They like be close to each other even when it’s hot outside but I am concerned about how they will be in a confined space.

I’m getting a cargo van so there should be plenty of room (and air conditioning). I hope to drive straight through if we can, but my co-driver may not be up for that, so we may stop for one night.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ok Comboomer posted:

I always heard that unspayed females were more belligerent and difficult, and boys more variable in temperament but hooooorny

my understanding is the females are more stubborn and territorial, but 2 boys together specifically is major fight territory because the are just feed fight or gently caress, and another boy only offers one option

either way, get all your rabbits fixed no matter what unless you have REAL good reason not to. I've known too many awesome buns who had spent years in a shelter to think otherwise

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Joburg posted:

I am moving my 5 colony rabbits from Wyoming to Georgia. Would you all recommend putting them in individual carriers for the long drive or keeping them together, maybe a group of 2 and a group of 3? They are 4 intact females and 1 neutered male and they all live together in a large yard. They like be close to each other even when it’s hot outside but I am concerned about how they will be in a confined space.

I’m getting a cargo van so there should be plenty of room (and air conditioning). I hope to drive straight through if we can, but my co-driver may not be up for that, so we may stop for one night.

Personally (I have never had multiple rabbits) I would probably cage them all separately. Car movement can be a little bumpy (especially a van) and you don’t want them slamming into each other, especially if you get in an accident or something

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

my understanding is the females are more stubborn and territorial, but 2 boys together specifically is major fight territory because the are just feed fight or gently caress, and another boy only offers one option

either way, get all your rabbits fixed no matter what unless you have REAL good reason not to. I've known too many awesome buns who had spent years in a shelter to think otherwise

Will do! I wasn't sure how big the difference was having only had females and knowing that's basically required for them too (heard they don't live as long without getting fixed too :( ).

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I got a harlequin rabbit a few months ago. She is super awesome. We don't keep her in a cage, she is free-roam in an exercise pen that is about 50 square feet and is already box trained. We give her about two hours a day to roam the downstairs level. I think she just reached maturity as she has started digging everywhere and chewing the poo poo out of stuff the last two weeks.

Her name is Waffles and we are getting her spayed in about three weeks, at which point we are going to start letting her access the whole house.

I love my bun.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 7, 2021

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
So it turns out my rabbits like limes? I was juicing some limes and they were interested in what I was doing so I let them smell my hands, thinking they would run away, but they were very interested in the scent. I gave them a tiny piece of lime and they loved it.

They are wary of grapes and blueberries, and don't like raspberries, but limes? Delicious

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Hmm I was using the cage I got my buns to have a secure place for them at night but now after giving them an entire room (that doesn't even have outlets) I realized I could just shut the door? Maybe I can transition to just having litter box so it's easier to clean too (since they're already litter trained to only go in the cage bedding anyways), taking apart the cage to clean it is a huge pain.

Also I took some concrete blocks from a recent project and used them as steps from the cage door but turns out it's also their favorite place to sleep?? Like that can't be comfortable lmao

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They like the concrete because it's cold! If you have a spare ceramic tile sitting around, clean it off and leave it sitting in their room; they'll probably like it.

I think the solution is a toy they can hide in. Like, this is a fancier version of what I use:

Stuff like this is enclosed enough to let them feel secure, but you can also easily chase them out of it when you need to.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 17, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Have have a few amazon boxes i cleaned up and cut holes in, plus I like to remove the door from their carry crate and leave it in their room so they don't think crate means bad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Have have a few amazon boxes i cleaned up and cut holes in, plus I like to remove the door from their carry crate and leave it in their room so they don't think crate means bad.

Step 1: cut hole in box

Step 2: ??????

Step 3: rabbits learn that “box = good”

have I got that all right?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

such has been my experience, yes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Step 1: cut hole in box
I was going to make a joke about this but maybe you're already making that joke?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mystes posted:

I was going to make a joke about this but maybe you're already making that joke?

yes

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh my goodness! Tonight Hieronymous jumped on the back of the couch and groomed both me and my wife. She really loves us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh my goodness! Tonight Hieronymous jumped on the back of the couch and groomed both me and my wife. She really loves us
How's Harrison adjusting?